Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Who What Now posted:

God already knows who will or will not reject him before they are even born. Man has no choice in the matter.

God knows it because they chose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cavaradossi posted:

No. Man has free will and can choose to accept or reject God. God knows the choices we make.

Let's call it like it is in this scenario... God created the choosing that we will have realized.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

Because that's what suffering is: the rejection of God.

People who supposedly know and love God suffer as well, bro.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cavaradossi posted:

He did! We rejected it.

I must have missed this memo, I don't remember rejecting anything like that.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Who What Now posted:

People who supposedly know and love God suffer as well, bro.

We are all sinners.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cavaradossi posted:

Except I reject, or at least don't accept, God at the moment. I wouldn't describe my existence as especially painful.

Whereas Hell is almost defined as a place where we will suffer, so I would assume it's pretty bad.

If, after I die, I got reincarnated as basically myself again, I'd be fairly happy with that. But that isn't what Christianity teaches, or at least no branch of it I'm aware of.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Muscle Tracer posted:

I must have missed this memo, I don't remember rejecting anything like that.

Sorry... CCC 416 By his sin Adam, as the first man, lost the original holiness and justice he had received from God, not only for himself but for all human beings.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Cavaradossi posted:

But God chose whether they would choose it, right?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cavaradossi posted:

I just want to point out that rhetoric like this, or the idiotic "what does it mean to be the Son of God" argument, or the "word" argument, or the "savior/salvation" argument, that this is literally the definition of a coercive cult. This is like Freemen on the Land of religions, in which you unlock the secret meanings of words and thereby wield astonishing power over the justice system.

Yall are in for a rude loving awakening.

Cavaradossi posted:

Sorry... CCC 416 By his sin Adam, as the first man, lost the original holiness and justice he had received from God, not only for himself but for all human beings.

That's against my Constitutional rights!!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cavaradossi posted:

We are all sinners.
Does this not justify those who make others suffer, for they are just doing the work of God? Indeed, would it not sanctify encouraging suffering, so that it might cause people to turn to God?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

They never had a choice because God has predestined it from the dawn of time.

Let me put it to you this way: God omnisciently knows that I will eat an apple for breakfast tomorrow. He has known it for an infinity before creation and has and will know it for all time. There is absolutely no doubt in his mind that I will eat that apple. Now, could I exercise my free will and instead choose to eat a banana and surprise God? If I can't then there is only one choice I could make and that isn't a choice at all. If I can then God isn't omniscient.

It's either or, it cannot be both because they are contradictory to one another.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Who What Now posted:

Let me put it to you this way: God omnisciently knows that I will eat an apple for breakfast tomorrow. He has known it for an infinity before creation and has and will know it for all time. There is absolutely no doubt in his mind that I will eat that apple. Now, could I exercise my free will and instead choose to eat a banana and surprise God? If I can't then there is only one choice I could make and that isn't a choice at all. If I can then God isn't omniscient.

It's either or, it cannot be both because they are contradictory to one another.
Evidently the entirety of 'free will' is 'Can you reject God' and he already knows whether or not you will, so it seems a lot less important than it's made out to be. :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

Punishing the son for the crimes of the father is insanely evil.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cavaradossi posted:

So God punishes people for their ancestors mistakes/sins. You've also ignored like half a dozen questions. Try harder.

Cavaradossi posted:

Now you're redefining words in nonsensical and tautological ways: "You only suffer if you reject God, and suffering is the rejection of God."

Cavaradossi posted:

God has ground rules too.

God can't stop us from choosing to reject him without removing free will. The point of the creation of Man was to create a creature with free will who could know God.

If removing free will is such a no-no, why does it happen? Once again, mental impairment. A child born with only a brainstem. And who made those ground rules?

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Who What Now posted:

If you chose to eat a banana, God would have known that instead. It was still your choice.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Who What Now posted:

Punishing the son for the crimes of the father is insanely evil.

Lucky that Christ has redeemed us then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

God works via retroactive continuity?

It's certainly an interesting notion that humanity perpetually redefines God by our every action but it does rather hamstring the idea of him being all powerful.

Cavaradossi posted:

So God was only evil for the thousands of years before Jesus was born then?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cavaradossi posted:

If you chose to eat a banana, God would have known that instead. It was still your choice.

If God cannot be surprised, then any choices I may make cannot be ones which would surprise God, therefore free will is compromised.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Sharkie posted:

You've also ignored like half a dozen questions.

There are more of you than me :)

If you want the answers from Catechism, they're here: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Cavaradossi posted:

But it was also God's choice, right? It was both, no?

I would really like an answer about this if you wouldn't mind.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

What part of "mutually exclusive contradictory positions" did you not understand. It is literally, not figuratively but literally, *IMPOSSIBLE* for it God to know all choice ahead of time and for there to be free will.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cavaradossi posted:

How?

You've asserted that multiple times and received as many or more counter arguments without response. How is there choice when the entirety of causality as it will have been was created with full foreknowledge of what would happen? Are you saying that we made our choices before we existed?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

That doesn't absolve the evilness of doing it in the first place.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Sharkie posted:

If God cannot be surprised, then any choices I may make cannot be ones which would surprise God, therefore free will is compromised.

No more than it is by not being able to choose to fly.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Bel Shazar posted:

Are you saying that we made our choices before we existed?

God knows what we choose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cavaradossi posted:

You may have to explain that one.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cavaradossi posted:

Don't you mean "God created our act of choosing"?

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Who What Now posted:

What part of "mutually exclusive contradictory positions" did you not understand. It is literally, not figuratively but literally, *IMPOSSIBLE* for it God to know all choice ahead of time and for there to be free will.

You say that. I (and the CCC) don't.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Bel Shazar posted:

Don't you mean "God created our act of choosing"?

...and knows what we choose.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cavaradossi posted:

There are more of you than me :)

Every poster can say that, you ignore multiple things when you can't search for them quickly enough on another website.

Cavaradossi posted:

That was about God constraining action, not moral choices. If God can't be surprised, I am constrained from making a moral choice that would surprise God, therefore free will is broken.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

If we can only choose what God already knows we will choose then it's not a choice. A choice of 1 option is not a choice.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

OwlFancier posted:

You may have to explain that one.

I cannot choose what is impossible, that's not the choice I'm given.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cavaradossi posted:

You say that. I (and the CCC) don't.

You (and the CCC) are wrong.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cavaradossi posted:

...and knows what we choose.

Ok, good, you DO acknowledge that God gave our choice to us. Thanks, that clears this up for me. I'm not quite sure how you reason away the fact that your belief means that free will is an illusion, but I'm glad we're on at least part of the same page. I really thought you were claiming that free will was ACTUALLY a thing.

/edit Lord I can't spell tonight :/

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Sharkie posted:

Every poster can say that, you ignore multiple things when you can't search for them quickly enough on another website.

Search for them yourself then: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM.

Sharkie posted:

That was about God constraining action, not moral choices. If God can't be surprised, I am constrained from making a moral choice that would surprise God, therefore free will is broken.

Not really making sense. "Surprising God" doesn't sound like a moral choice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cavaradossi posted:

I cannot choose what is impossible, that's not the choice I'm given.

That statement itself sort of contradicts the notion of free will because it places it under material constraints.

If your will is truly free, it should be able to choose anything, if your will is constrained by material things like physics and the limits of your brain, it's a material effect, which makes it... not much different from any other physical force in the world, entirely predictable given sufficient knowledge.

The concept of free will requires it to be some sort of entirely magical, unrestrained idea.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Bel Shazar posted:

Ok, good, you DO acknowledge that God gave our choice to us.

CCC 1730 God created man a rational being, conferring on him the dignity of a person who can initiate and control his own actions.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I still don't understand why God commits sins through his creations. That doesn't make any internal sense.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cavaradossi posted:

Not really making sense. "Surprising God" doesn't sound like a moral choice.

The point is that you can't make a choice that is unknown to an omniscient God. If God is omniscient, he cannot be surprised by a moral choice you make. Therefore, when you are making moral choices, the only one you have available is the choice that God knows, therefore eliminating the choices that would "surprise God" by violating his omniscience, therefore you don't have the free will to make that moral choice.

Cavaradossi posted:

CCC 1730 God created man a rational being, conferring on him the dignity of a person who can initiate and control his own actions.

Except the ones that aren't rational beings and cannot initiate or control their actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

Sharkie posted:

The point is that you can't make a choice that is unknown to an omniscient God. If God is omniscient, he cannot be surprised by a moral choice you make. Therefore, when you are making moral choices, the only one you have available is the choice that God knows, therefore eliminating the choices that would "surprise God" by violating his omniscience, therefore you don't have the free will to make that moral choice.

You have the choice. God knows what you choose.

• Locked thread