Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Ghostlight posted:

Your poor significant other.

You're exactly right. I do that all the time, and apologize for it all the time, and my wife's just used to it now. Years of working in software support have made me look at situations in a very black and white way -- which I hate most of the time.

Anyway...

Don't worry Dan Dare's in the pipe. In the meantime, we can at least revisit how the Lesbian island adventure gets started.

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban's Cats

Just because you're on the moon is no excuse not to party. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 12/11/2003

Zits

Kevin & Kell

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Is this really college level art history? Even 101?

I would be more inclined to believe it's "show some fine art to a group of children using the art encyclopaedia I have in my school bag". Which is a pretty good thing to do if you are a children's library assistant.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Poptropica

Heathcliff

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Ohhhhhh, poor Sparky...

Skippy knows a guy that can get it for you wholesale. (October 6, 1927)

Peanuts (December 14, 1967)

Snoopy's probably going to pop for a baguette and blow the rest of that collection on root beer.

Funky-rear end Crankshaft Crossover

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 24-25, 1926)

The hero, of course, is the dorg.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is lucky they don't own a magnifying glass.

Working Daze overreacts to the Star Wars teaser.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze overreacts to the Star Wars teaser.

It always blows my mind that people like this still exist. People who are the stereotypical "George Lucas is God" type nerds, because all the Star Wars fans I know are of the opinion that the original trilogy was good despite Lucas, and the new trilogy was hot garbage.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This really reads like their tradition was not telling the kid about fun things, and I'm grinning so much because I hate everyone in this comic.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

It always blows my mind that people like this still exist. People who are the stereotypical "George Lucas is God" type nerds, because all the Star Wars fans I know are of the opinion that the original trilogy was good despite Lucas, and the new trilogy was hot garbage.

i'm more confused why star wars is continously refered to as this nerd sub-culture thing. it's one of the biggest movie franchises on the planet ffs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Well, given that Working Daze hits the easiest nerd humor possible and barely edges above Big Bang Humor in terms of "jokes", it's not at all surprising they're going to flog the "NERDS LOVE STAR WARS AMMIRITE" dog.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Attitude Indicator posted:

i'm more confused why star wars is continously refered to as this nerd sub-culture thing. it's one of the biggest movie franchises on the planet ffs.

It's more that plenty of people enjoyed Star Wars but actually being invested in the franchise at this point (Especially given how crap the last three were) is something only obsessive nerds can pull off. Though I do think it might be unique, or at least distinctive, in that regard.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Attitude Indicator posted:

Being aware of something is vastly different than collecting every bit of Star Wars branded tat, or being aware of the minute details of both the movie universe and the expanded universe.

Most people are aware of Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon, but nerds go so much further with it.

Hypothetical game show host: Name the smuggler in the big round ship that was exiled from the Core Worlds by the Emperor.
Normal person: Han Solo?
Uber Nerd: Actually that would be Dash Rendar in his YT-2400 the Outrider.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 11, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

Oh God, I remember something like this happening to a classmate of mine; she fainted, fell backwards, smashed the back of her head off of a metal horizontal bar under a table, hit the floor, and then her head re-bounded and she hit the bar again. Thanks for reminding me of that! Jerk.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Hairstyle

drat, that's a fine mullet.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Tiff's daddy wants Tiff to go to college even though she doesn't want to. It's because Tiff's Daddy is a loving father who wants what's best for her and Tiff is a spoiled brat.

Rosa's father wants Rosa to go to college (Yale!) even though she doesn't want to. It's because Rosa wants to do something bigger with her life than follow the narrow path her parents set out for her and her father is an rear end in a top hat who won't listen.

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

It's interesting that there seems to be an inordinate number of these entries that come from West Lafayette, Ohio. I didn't check to see if it was always the same dude or not. Must be some sort of a Ripley's consortium working out of a podunk town in East Central, Ohio, in the same way that the Pluggers brain trust is located in NW Ohio.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Comic Strip Megathread: West Lafayette Jones and the Crystal Wang

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ooh, bad timing on that one.

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2014/50/bn-drone-disaster-at-tgifridays-2014-12-12-bk_2014_50.html

Robber and Bootlegger Comix

Pooch Café

Hudson in the second panel:

Ballard Street

It's a good thing everybody on ballard street wears clown pants, or this idea wouldn't work at all.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Samovar posted:

Oh God, I remember something like this happening to a classmate of mine; she fainted, fell backwards, smashed the back of her head off of a metal horizontal bar under a table, hit the floor, and then her head re-bounded and she hit the bar again. Thanks for reminding me of that! Jerk.

For me the fear is slipping on stairs and smashing my face teeth-first on the edge of a stair, because this happened to a friend of a friend.

I really like Deep Dark Fears. :)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

The AMAZING CUBE! Order today and you also get this amazing tetrahedron ABSOLUTELY FREE!

The Phantom

Kit's shirt is unsettled by this turn of events.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tomorrow: WHY

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Are shrimp and avocado salad really things known to go together?

Rex Morgan MD

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Pros & Cons

Thank you for picking up Pros and Cons.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 12, 2014

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

Meh

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

The Sphinxster posted:

Thank you for picking up Pros and Cons.

Someone had to! We can't let one of the better comics just lie unposted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So they're not changing his outfit? Very disappointing.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Yes. Not so sure how well they go with meatloaf and mashed potato though. The two separate parts seem good, but taken all together it's a weird meal.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Yeah but it's kind of an outdated thing to serve, it always makes me think of shag carpets (I think it's also what makes everyone sick at the beginning of The Bell Jar).

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

$25,000 was a lot of money back now.

It's 1955 in Rip Kirby, so we're talking a little under $220,000 in Today Dollars.

I was going to make a snippy remark about how Rip's not doing a great job of keeping his cover, but it occurs to me he's probably blowing it intentionally for some reason.

Big Ben Bolt

...for those who came in late.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

So I'm generally enjoying Classic Phantom and its bizarre obsession with 1940s vigilante courtship rituals, but I have to ask: is Classic Phantom also Kit - as in, it's been the same guy for the entire strip's run? Because I think that's the case but I'm not 100% sure.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Most of the Phantoms are named Kit, but yeah, it's always been about the one you're familiar with and earlier Phantoms only crop up in flashback stories that the modern Phantom is telling or investigating. Except for spin-off comics where people get told they can write a Phantom but they don't want to deal with the backstory so they just use the modern Phantom's son or future descendant so they can do whatever they want.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I like that both Rex Morgan and Mandrake are just about dudes hanging out and having a good time at this point.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I really like Monty a lot but I don't like the rich kid strips as much as the other stuff, I'll read it occasionally but most of the time I find myself scrolling past them if it's him in it.

I don't get this one. I realize the joke is supposed to be that the guy overdecorates and has a ton of stuff on the lawn and some of it isn't even Christmas related but his line and her face make it seem like it was supposed to be horrific when it isn't. It's just sorta tacky at worst.

quote:

Ah yes, that old classic carol that everybody knows the tune to. I can't help but remember that episode of Simpsons where the lawyer says that they're infringing on copyright when they go caroling.

Laywer: But you are welcome to sing the many beloved public domain carols such as "O Tannenbaum," "Good King Wenceslas," "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"

Homer: Those suck! They're worse than nothing!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

And STILL a more believable portrayal of Hollywood than Funky Winkerbean.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiggum posted:

So they're not changing his outfit? Very disappointing.

hey, 90's clothes are comfortable as gently caress. He made the right choice.

Honestly I'm just glad this arc is over, and let us never talk of it again.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Laywer: But you are welcome to sing the many beloved public domain carols such as "O Tannenbaum," "Good King Wenceslas," "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"

I can't even loving pronounce "Wenceslas."

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I like Good King Wenceslas. :(

• Locked thread