Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Also those messages say "Pull back" which half the people read as "Turn back and don't go there" and the other half read as "Hurry up and pull this lever already!".

Which is of course the intended effect.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's as if you people DON'T want those sick-rear end wizard pajamas.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I hated Amana the first time through especially because it's set up to gently caress you over if you don't know it well or don't play extremely carefully. I mean this is true for most of the game but areas like Amana are stacked against the player even more (poo poo like random pothole in the water if you beeline for the priests, I think it might even be the only one in the whole area if you don't count missing path on the way to the chest with Sunlight Blade).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
To be fair every build I've rolled always had a bow which makes the section before the cave trivial. Going as a pure melee or pure sorcery would probably suck. I'm not sure what the lightest STR anti-magic shield (I assume it's silverback or the small shield you get from the bell summoned cloaks just before Bellkeeper) is, but at the very least there's gotta be sorcery protection spells?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fly Molo posted:

Well, that's sure something... new. :stare:

The Scholar
I am wondering why whoever made that album thinks that he's referring to Pate and Creighton when talking about love? I don't think I'd call their relationship one based on love. If anything, I usually think of the Bell Towers or queen of poison barf land/jabba when it comes to love in Dark Souls

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nahxela posted:

I am wondering why whoever made that album thinks that he's referring to Pate and Creighton when talking about love? I don't think I'd call their relationship one based on love. If anything, I usually think of the Bell Towers or queen of poison barf land/jabba when it comes to love in Dark Souls

I thought that was a joke but maybe he writes erotic fiction about them or something.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Pate's spear was buffed not too long ago...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fly Molo posted:

Well, that's sure something... new. :stare:

The Scholar

quote:

Then he exploded and disappeared.

This dude sounds fuckin radical.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Can someone tell me how invaders reach the host in No Man's Wharf when the shortcut hasn't been unlocked yet? I've looked all over and cannot figure it out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Can someone tell me how invaders reach the host in No Man's Wharf when the shortcut hasn't been unlocked yet? I've looked all over and cannot figure it out.

You can walk off the docks in the second part onto the water in the first part, near where the first archer is.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nahxela posted:

Ivory Queen or Lucatiel.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 11, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Of course the head is Vengarl, because why not.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm glad I did a hexer run. I was going through the sanctum and got killed by this invader. Then a time-traveling space marine appeared and gave me all his gear. 30 minutes later I ran into the same invader from the sanctum.

But this time I had plasma rifles and cloaking armor on my side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xom9X2ckZs

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh no-one to summon for ruin sentinel, I switched computers and I had to start over.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There's an NPC in a jail cell, she's usually more than enough help.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Ugh no-one to summon for ruin sentinel, I switched computers and I had to start over.

Use the Craftsman's Hammer with some Dark/Gold resin for hilarious damage :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

I ran through that are yesterday and there wasn't a summon sign anywhere but as soon as i placed my sign before that door with the million zweihanders i would get called by someone swarmed in blades.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mans posted:

I ran through that are yesterday and there wasn't a summon sign anywhere but as soon as i placed my sign before that door with the million zweihanders i would get called by someone swarmed in blades.

Yeah, I've been playing through again recently myself. Not all that many people to summon but I get bites reasonably fast when I try to get summoned myself.

Stalled out at Amana. I've even got a bow, it's more just that there will be inevitable invader bullshit on top of regular Amana bullshit and I haven't been able to work up the patience yet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's almost zero chance of you getting invaded at all, let alone in Amana specifically.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's true, I could easily go through Amana without happening to be invaded. (Although I have been invaded about five or so times on the way here, and Amana's an especially popular invasion spot, so I don't think the odds are as near zero as you suggest.) It's just that I already have the anticipation of guaranteed Amana annoyance, and there's a possible addition of invasion annoyance on top of that.

I'll get around to it pretty soon I'm sure, but it's more likely to be a weekend thing than an after a stressed day of work thing, ya know. And you'll probably be absolutely right and nobody will invade me. (Or maybe that chill dude who had the channeler's dance-off with me before dropping some effigies and leaving will invade again. I liked him.)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Interesting that you say Amana is a popular invasion spot, I don't think I've ever been invaded there and I've played through the game like half a dozen times.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ivory Queen or Lucatiel.

Yeah, Luca was my first guess since she's looking for her brother.

Off topic, but I've tried a half dozen times, but i can't do another faith build.

Not because of light spears, no, but because Targray's armor is really the only good looking Paladin set and goddammit I already used that for Joan.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is 130 the wrong level for NG+ Brume Tower or is it just pretty sparse generally on PS3 these days? I've summoned a couple different people, but never seen more than one sign at once. Tons of ghosts though, which is what makes me think I need a level adjustment.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is 130 the wrong level for NG+ Brume Tower or is it just pretty sparse generally on PS3 these days? I've summoned a couple different people, but never seen more than one sign at once. Tons of ghosts though, which is what makes me think I need a level adjustment.

Level doesn't matter, only Soul Memory.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Has anyone encountered problems with backstabbing in Things Betwixt? I just rolled a new character today after not playing the game for a while, and every time I backstab one of the random hollows, the game freezes and nothing will get it to close short of restarting my PC.

The last time I played back in May, I was able to backstab just fine! The freeze/crash also seems to happen irregularly just attacking the hollows.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ivory Queen or Lucatiel.
Oh, yeah, forgot about those two. I guess Lucatiel is more likely since Elana is in DLC land? But who knows.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Throne Defender is a really sweet Paladin set also. I used it on my faith character.

Another thing, eventually I'm going to remake my hexer and get Lifedrain Patch, just so I can invade the Shrine and run through and murder all the enemies for the host, and bow before he kills my rear end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Has anyone encountered problems with backstabbing in Things Betwixt? I just rolled a new character today after not playing the game for a while, and every time I backstab one of the random hollows, the game freezes and nothing will get it to close short of restarting my PC.

The last time I played back in May, I was able to backstab just fine! The freeze/crash also seems to happen irregularly just attacking the hollows.

Try validating your files through steam, uninstalling any mods you have, or reinstalling the game if nothing else works.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Gologle posted:

Another thing, eventually I'm going to remake my hexer and get Lifedrain Patch, just so I can invade the Shrine and run through and murder all the enemies for the host, and bow before he kills my rear end.
Would the butterfly set work for that as well?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I have no idea if the Life Drain Patch will even work on enemies in the host world. I know it definitely works on hosts if you're co-oping with them, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I'm willing to try it one day though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IIRC Lifedrain damages everything, period. Same way Warmth heals everything, period.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Try validating your files through steam, uninstalling any mods you have, or reinstalling the game if nothing else works.

Nope, none of those worked. :smith: Validated the game files and everything was fine, I don't have any mods installed, and even reinstalled it and the game still freezes when I try backstabbing something.

Has nobody else really had this problem?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If I buy ds2 and the dlc at Christmas (assuming it finally goes on sale), will I get all the benefits of the Scholar re-release when it comes out? I'm struggling to work out what we're getting on the PC version exactly.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

mysterious loyall Y posted:

If I buy ds2 and the dlc at Christmas (assuming it finally goes on sale), will I get all the benefits of the Scholar re-release when it comes out? I'm struggling to work out what we're getting on the PC version exactly.

Scholar is a new version of the game that comes bundled with the DLC and makes use of some more recent DirectX version. It needs to be purchased separately and will be a separate game in your library. It features new enemy placements and enhanced multiplayer poo poo. There will also be improved item descriptions and at least one new NPC.

The regular version will get the latter two, but not the former.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Supposedly there was some new enemy placement in the PS3 demo of it, e.g. a new Mimic.

What they actually said translates to something like "updated enemy and game design", which implies enemy placement and different behavior. And then said that PS3/360/Old PC versions wouldn't get it. Either they changed their mind on that, or they meant something else.

Or it's just a demo being not representative of the final product. Who knows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVZW_eFUkio

Love what this guy's doing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The audio hurts my ears

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That video is loving awful, sorry.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Heh, another guy who thinks everything he finds is new.

Also those bullet edits are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The Fume Knight is really getting to me now.

I can breeze through his first phase in about a minute, but for some reason I cannot get the timing down on his second form at all. I think I last on average about ten seconds each time he goes into his second form.

If he would stay in his first form I could beat this fight in two minutes, but there's no helmet for that. :(