Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
No, but the person owning the province can, if relations are poor, destroy them for cash benefits to them.

There is never a need to destroy them, though-having it is ALWAYS a benefit, NEVER a loss. There's never a case of 'find somewhere better'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I won my first election by assassination. There was only one other candidate who came close to my son, and he's gone now. He was also the steward, and that position has gone to my second son. The House of Contarini will not fall to something so petty as democracy.

Thanks for all the advice. Can I demolish a trade post after I've built one? So say I find somewhere better later on but I've hit the top limit, can I remove a cheap lovely trade post in order to build the better one?

Patrician election are not democracy, its not the peasantry who vote, its the rich people. So technically you just murdered an elector :D

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 11, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Obliterati posted:

There's also some strange overlap with the Football Manager series.
Trying to get your youngster to become good by setting them up with proper mentors, hoping they develop good attributes, and that your wonderkid will lead you to glory. Checks out.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Trying to get your youngster to become good by setting them up with proper mentors, hoping they develop good attributes, and that your wonderkid will lead you to glory. Checks out.

Football Manager needs to add plots to assassinate the owner.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've got a whole lot of retinues as Venice, but they won't leave the city for some reason. Clicking and telling them to move gets me nothing. Trying to get them into ships gets me nothing. Neither my retinues or my levies will leave Venice, which is a huge pain in the rear end because Croatia keeps declaring war on me then going around wrecking my trade posts.

I've contented myself by assassinating every single person who ends up in the leadership role, but I'd really like to be able to deal with them directly.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I've got a whole lot of retinues as Venice, but they won't leave the city for some reason. Clicking and telling them to move gets me nothing. Trying to get them into ships gets me nothing. Neither my retinues or my levies will leave Venice, which is a huge pain in the rear end because Croatia keeps declaring war on me then going around wrecking my trade posts.

Normally, you can just surrender the wars Croatia declares on you. They're over cities held by your rival patricians, and them losing power is a good thing. Ideally, your rival patricians hold nothing but their palaces.

As for the soldier issue, there are two ways to get people off Venice.

#1: Soldiers in province Venice, ships in province Venice (this should happen after you raise ships and levies) - select soldiers, click button with arrow and ship on it to embark. Move ships into the sea zone that borders the province you want to land in, click the soldier to select the army on board, then move them to the province you want to go to.

#2: Soldiers in province Venice, ships in sea zone Gulf of Venice - select soldiers, move them into sea zone, they should automatically board. Proceed as with #1 from there.

If both don't work and you're sure the amount of soldiers can fit into the amount of boats (don't forget to merge the different boat groups into one big one), it sounds like there's something majorly wrong, because AFAIK nothing can interfere with transporting, what with a total lack of naval combat and all.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Venice is an island. :ssh: Get some boats.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, I don't know why you would be upset that somebody emerges who is at least theoretically able to stop the Abbasids and the rather strong Umayyads of your game from swallowing all of Christian Europe.

I am trying to think of the last time, in my like 1400 hours of play, that I've had to deal with Muslim Death Stacks. Those jackasses can't even hold onto the Holy Land.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Are TFFers still j/oing or

I'm psyched for way of life

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Socotra, Iceland, Canarias, and Kola. First person to relevancy wins!

Iceland has a built in advantage.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodly posted:

No, but the person owning the province can, if relations are poor, destroy them for cash benefits to them.

There is never a need to destroy them, though-having it is ALWAYS a benefit, NEVER a loss. There's never a case of 'find somewhere better'.

This. If you want to build more trade posts, have sons and upgrade your mansion.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I mentioned that I was having problems with Croatia, who kept declaring war on me and wrecking all my trade posts. After a few years of bribes, assassinations, and general underhand fuckery, this happened to them.

Two different rebellions at the same time. By the time they finally managed to quell them, the Byzantine Empire had snatched up one of the rebelling territories.

Then the Venetian army walked in and kicked then while they were down, called their queen fat, then rode off into the sunset with their middle fingers in the air.

Republics are awesome.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:siren: LOSING IS FUN! :siren:

I think one of my favorite single play throughs was as the Counts of Bearn, where in a period of one of my rulers we went from Counts to Dukes to Holy Roman Emperors. I managed to hold on to that for three generations until I was deposed in favor of my son (who became my played character). Being an infant, I was promptly deposed, but left with the majority of the Kingdom of Burgundy, meanwhile my mother somehow became Queen of France, Aragon and Castile, and was promptly deposed in favor of me, now an adult with four kingdoms! EAT A DICK YOU GERMAN FUCKS. :black101:

The story about King Fredrick I of France's father would have been a hysterically depressing wiki entry. Born a Prince of the HRE, elected as Emperor, deposed. Wife becomes Queen of France, deposed. Wife becomes Dutchess of Orleans, deposed. Dies of the plague alone and lonely and title-less.

I just found this old post and I am :smith: about not having that save file anymore.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Socotra, Iceland, Canarias, and Kola. First person to relevancy wins!

I am just finishing up an Iceland Ironman game where I formed the HRE and control all of Western Europe.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Football Manager needs to add plots to assassinate the owner.

That's basically Blood Bowl.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Nobody Interesting posted:

What's the best way to die? If I die now my dynasty will get the Holy Roman throne back. I would go on a pilgrimage to go and get depressed but I'm stuck in two wars so that's not available.

Also there's only 12 years of gameplay left.

Find the eventID for the geriatric sex event that has a 10 percent chance of you dying from a heart attack and fire it until dead.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Cheshire Cat posted:

My fav rule from blood bowl is if both players bring the same unique special unit, neither of them get to play him but both have to pay because its assumed the player has scammed them and run off with the cash.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Man I do love me some Blood Bowl.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

beefart posted:

Find the eventID for the geriatric sex event that has a 10 percent chance of you dying from a heart attack and fire it until dead.

If you're going to use the console, you might as well just kill yourself via the console.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SeaTard posted:

If you're going to use the console, you might as well just kill yourself via the console.

That's not nearly as memorable a death as having sex twenty-eight times in one day, then subsequently dying as a result of it, though! :v:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

beefart posted:

Iron Man mode. I don't cheat at silly history!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Awww man. I can't connect the empire of Britannia's succession with the Jomsvikings succession. The grandmasters son is going to inherit the empire. And I can't play as a theocracy, so I can't switch over to him and create the titular kingdom and empire of Jomsviking either. :( Does this happen when the Teutonic Order takes over a king title as well?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I hope not! In my game the Teutonic Order gained the entire kingdom of Aquitane and are all the bulwark holding the Ummayad menace back from all Europe.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

meanwhile in my game as zoroastrian persia the teutonic order got lost and ended up in the Kola Peninsula in the 10th century

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
So, I've succeeded in turning Brittania into a Sunni Viking paradise, and I'm trying to decide what to do next. My first thought was converting to a heresy, or Shia/Ibadi, unfortunately the only Muslim character on the map who isn't Sunni is one solitary 67 year old Shia lady on her deathbed. Any ideas on how to spice this up?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

TITY BOI posted:

So, I've succeeded in turning Brittania into a Sunni Viking paradise, and I'm trying to decide what to do next. My first thought was converting to a heresy, or Shia/Ibadi, unfortunately the only Muslim character on the map who isn't Sunni is one solitary 67 year old Shia lady on her deathbed. Any ideas on how to spice this up?

Let her die, then wait for the rise of the Shia event :getin:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Okay, the Abbasids have been made manageable (they never bring all 20k of their troops at once, thank god.)

Can we now get patches that put some cracks into the Umayyad monstrosity that always forms Hispania and always expands way beyond Tours?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
WOW there are a lot of DLCs for this. Uhh...wow. Are there any recommendations on DLCs that really improve the game and stand out above others? Are any necessary at all?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kawalimus posted:

WOW there are a lot of DLCs for this. Uhh...wow. Are there any recommendations on DLCs that really improve the game and stand out above others? Are any necessary at all?

Just wait for a bundle offer to come out in a sale. They're might be one for Christmas. I got every DLC from launch until March 2014 for like $20. The republic, old gods, and sons of Abraham are the ones that really add to the gameplay though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Kawalimus posted:

Depends who you want to play as.
Sword of Islam allows you to play as Muslims.
Sunset Invasion is a fun AU where Europe is the technological backwater and the Aztecs invade.
The Republic lets you play as Republics.
The Old Gods let you play as Pagans, and expands the world back to 867, the age of the Karling clowncar. Of all the 'unlock' DLC this one is recommended because playing as Norse is awesome.
Sons of Abraham add features to Christians and Muslims, and add Jews, who are playable.
Rajas of India makes the three Indian religions, which were added in a patch (along with India) playable.
Charlemagne pushes the start back even further, and lets you play a 'story' campaign as Charlemagne.
Way of Life, which releases next week, adds a lot of small things.

The two that I'd recommend, if you don't feel like 'adding', are Sons of Abraham and an additional one, Legacy of Rome. Legacy of Rome fleshes out the Byzantines, but also adds Retinues, which are a permanent sort-of standing army.

Other than that, the Customization DLC lets you change things like Kingdom names, Ruler Designer lets you create your own character and take over for anyone in the world, and the EU4 converter adds the ability to convert the game to an EU4 mod and play the 15th century to the early 19th century.

All minor DLC just adds songs, clothes, unit sprites and faces.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Volkerball posted:

Just wait for a bundle offer to come out in a sale. They're might be one for Christmas. I got every DLC from launch until March 2014 for like $20. The republic, old gods, and sons of Abraham are the ones that really add to the gameplay though.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a way better idea than trying to pick through.

edit: And if I get just one it'll be old gods. But right now I still need to learn what the hell I'm even doing.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 12, 2014

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Kawalimus posted:

If you only get one, you should get the The Old Gods, which gives you an earlier start date and access to norse pagans, the objectively Coolest and Best religion.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Wait until the Christmas sale to buy them for 80% off

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Kawalimus posted:

Don't buy the unit packs, faces, shields or songs (actually you MAY want the songs if the soundtrack gets a bit grating) unless you're into cosmetics that add nothing to gameplay. Get all the legit expansions MAYBE the ruler designer / customisation pack but be sure to leave an angry note about how these should be in the game already. The Old Gods, Sword of Islam and Sons of Abraham I will say are the absolute essentials because they make religion actually mean something.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Nobody Interesting posted:

Don't buy the unit packs, faces, shields or songs (actually you MAY want the songs if the soundtrack gets a bit grating) unless you're into cosmetics that add nothing to gameplay. Get all the legit expansions MAYBE the ruler designer / customisation pack but be sure to leave an angry note about how these should be in the game already. The Old Gods, Sword of Islam and Sons of Abraham I will say are the absolute essentials because they make religion actually mean something.

Source your quotes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kawalimus posted:

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a way better idea than trying to pick through.

edit: And if I get just one it'll be old gods. But right now I still need to learn what the hell I'm even doing.

Old Gods is definitely worthwhile, and Legacy of Rome is another vital one because it lets you get Retinue, which are not as good as they used ot be but still really useful mid to late game.

But yeah, they will all be on sale over Christmas and you should be able to get your pick for at least 50% but more than likely 75% off.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eh, at least get the face pack that adds black people to the game. Its kind of weird without it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

quote:

I've noticed a couple of immersion problems. The demographic spread isn't proportionate to reality. Looking at social sciences and human history, we know that even people of the same culture, but separate racial background are not going to work together. Especially in a time so dark age esque, brutal, tribal and so forth. I live in Quebec and I can tell you outside of Montreal there is very few people who are not French Canadian. The province itself is 88% French Canadian and almost entirely homogenous. The only area with people of other cultures is the island of Montreal, and the aboriginal reserves just South of the island. Canada in general has significantly less African American people who reside in it. Make Vodun their religion, or a newurban culture themed religion where Lil B (Who refers to himself as, and is referred to as Based God) is their god.

When you finally get the West coast going, you should make the Vancouver area, and perhaps enclaves of the west coast US ruled by Asian rulers and perhaps an Asian-American culture. Maybe a new Neo-Confucian religion, as this is what realistically would happen in a cataclysm. People of different cultures, and especially backgrounds are not going to magically band together. I suggest turning Florida and the Detroit area as the designated de-jure lands of African American characters, as the city of Detroit is 83% African American, and Florida is slightly less.

The peninsula piece of land where Toronto is located should also be primarily Asian, and secondarily Indian. I'm sure we can use the Indian portraits for this. If any European characters are in Ontario, they'd be likely in the rest of Ontario. I also wouldn't make Southern Ontario one kingdom at start. Maybe two duchies, with the Toronto area being a duchy, and maybe the Ottawa area being a small kingdom or vice versa. To add some spice to see who unifies Ontario. But making the Toronto area's culture Asian American, and isolated from their far Western kin on the west coast.

I've also noticed that most of the Western European portraits resemble that of Mediterranean peoples in CkII without the Mediterranean DLC packs. In other words, everybody has dark hair and light eyes, which is definitely not accurate. Especially in the Northeastern US, the Martimes and Ontario-Quebec. Quebec especially being settled by Breton and Normans colonists. Later, an influx of Irish and Scottish. Quebecers are either very fair featured, or very pale with dark brown eyes and hair.

Sorry for the long reply, I just figured you'd like to hear some opinions. This is one of my all time, favourite mods alongside the Winter King and I just want to help as much as I can with immersion and realism.
It was only a matter of time until this sort started posting things in the postapoc mod thread.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kawalimus posted:

OG is the right choice, but getting all of them on sale is the best move. Even the little changes like portraits add a ton of flavor to the game for me, and knowing what I know about you I am sure you'll feel similarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mantis42 posted:

Eh, at least get the face pack that adds black people to the game. Its kind of weird without it.

The Turkish, Persian, Mongolian and African portraits are a must because every one who isn't European looking and dressing like Arabs is mega stupid.

• Locked thread