Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Ok everyone who wanted in on my Anova backing, I got my big box of 5 cookers a couple days ago. PM or post here if still interested otherwise I'll come find you in a day or two I guess?

edit: actually, give me a little bit to figure out what we figured a reasonable price would be, and I have to figure out whether these need repackaging before I can send them back out, and that sort of thing... I haven't been home much lately and I have a bunch of mundane things to take care of :(

Straker fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is making black garlic sous vide a thing? I figure it'd keep my house from smelling like garlic for weeks. And the bacteria should die off after 2 weeks of 50C, right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think the ideal temp for black garlic is supposed to be 140f/60c?

I don't know of anyone who's done it sous vide yet, but it makes sense and I was thinking about doing it myself.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 12, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Is making black garlic sous vide a thing? I figure it'd keep my house from smelling like garlic for weeks. And the bacteria should die off after 2 weeks of 50C, right?

I am pretty sure garlic can get bad in an airless environment that isn't really acidic. Something about botulism.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

I am pretty sure garlic can get bad in an airless environment that isn't really acidic. Something about botulism.

I think it depends on the temperature you do it at. 50C? Botulism up the rear end. But thermal inactivation of botulism toxins starts at 57.2C (at 100 minutes). Nordic Food Lab says you can do it at 60C.

Then again, it's not really worth killing myself over some garlic and I'll probably just put a rice cooker on my balcony.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Old Korean grandmas usually use a rice cooker, but it's kind of hard to find one that will hold 140°F exactly so they compare notes and write articles in newspapers and online about which models and which brands will maintain 140°F.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Straker posted:

Ok everyone who wanted in on my Anova backing, I got my big box of 5 cookers a couple days ago. PM or post here if still interested otherwise I'll come find you in a day or two I guess?

edit: actually, give me a little bit to figure out what we figured a reasonable price would be, and I have to figure out whether these need repackaging before I can send them back out, and that sort of thing... I haven't been home much lately and I have a bunch of mundane things to take care of :(

I was very very impressed at how my Anova came packaged. I think that if they sent your shipments in individual cardboard boxes, you'd be fine with just slapping a shipping label over the ones currently on the box. If they came multiple cookers per larger cardboard box, even the cylindrical container holding the cooker would hold up to shipping, I think...just duct tape the seam shut and put the shipping label right on the tube.

Please note that I cannot be held liable for any damage during shipment if you follow my poor advice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I asked earlier but didn't get a response about boneless pork chops. Well I cooked them last night at 135 for two hours, but we'd already eaten dinner so I threw them in an ice bath and put them in the fridge to eat later. I'm going to puddle them to warm them back up, pat dry and sear them, but were the 2 hours @135 enough for medium rare or should I cook them longer or at a higher temp for some amount of time?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The Midniter posted:

I asked earlier but didn't get a response about boneless pork chops. Well I cooked them last night at 135 for two hours, but we'd already eaten dinner so I threw them in an ice bath and put them in the fridge to eat later. I'm going to puddle them to warm them back up, pat dry and sear them, but were the 2 hours @135 enough for medium rare or should I cook them longer or at a higher temp for some amount of time?

Loin chop or shoulder chop? Loin chop is fine at 2, shoulder chop I'd let go to 4 maybe?

Also, my anova replacement came 6 days after sending in borked unit. Haven't started using it yet, but they seem to be getting their feet under them regarding defects and calibration.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

Loin chop or shoulder chop? Loin chop is fine at 2, shoulder chop I'd let go to 4 maybe?

Also, my anova replacement came 6 days after sending in borked unit. Haven't started using it yet, but they seem to be getting their feet under them regarding defects and calibration.

Yeah, loin chop, pretty lean. I think I'll give it an extra half hour when I warm it back up. Thanks!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I get niman ranch pork rib chops and vizzle at 135 for an hour or so before searing hard like a steak.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah mine fell from great height one time and I've never been able to get the cover back on properly. The temp wheel also kind of grinds or something when it turns but I assume that's from falling down. Still it works fine so whatever.

Hey FGR, be careful with that. I had that grinding sound on mine when I got it. The potentiometer or whatever it was that adjusts the temp had bent a bit, and after using it just a few times, it got worse until it finally snapped off its solder. I got a replacement, but better to be careful. I'd consider opening it up (can be done just with screwdrivers) and checking that nothing is stuck or has been bent there before it gets to where you need to resolder poo poo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll open it up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chemmy posted:

I get niman ranch pork rib chops and vizzle at 135 for an hour or so before searing hard like a steak.
That's basically what I do for random, not tarted up (stuffed or whatever) pork chops.

In other news, my cheapass Rival sealer went tits up. Vacuum pump is still working fine, but the heating element isn't heating up at all. According to my amazon history, I bought it a little over four years ago.

Just got another one. The low end model (or at least the cheapest one you can get from amazon) is different today. It's a little smaller all the way around. The vacuum pump seems stronger---evacuates a bag much faster. That's theoretically an improvement, but somewhat counterintuitively I prefer the weaker pump, because it makes it easier to bag up eggs, sauces, and other wet poo poo. The heating element also seems to take less time to seal. Overall the build quality seems a little better all the way around.

Just throwing that out there because I've spoken favourably about the US$30 Rival sealers before. I can definitely deal with getting four years of continuous (several times a week) use out of a US$30 kitchen appliance (it's nothing compared to what I've spent on rolls of bags in the same time), but YMMV.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy sealers at Costco and return them when they break after four years.

$30 is appealing though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
God bless costco.

The Midniter posted:

If they came multiple cookers per larger cardboard box, even the cylindrical container holding the cooker would hold up to shipping, I think...just duct tape the seam shut and put the shipping label right on the tube.

Straker, feel free to do this with mine.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

This is interesting. I asked my sister's BF for his opinion (he's worked under a few named chefs, so its not like he's some fresh out of LCB schlub) and he suggested the following:

Circulate at 125 f depending on size for about 1 hour to 2 hours I would put some thyme bay leaf salt pepper and olive oil in with the meat. Then once done you get a really hot pan and sear off both sides till nice and brown. Maldon salt on top.

Thoughts/discussion?
That's going to be pretty rare. I personally wouldn't generally go below 130, and even that is on the lower side. But if you like it that way, more power to you. I personally don't see a huge difference between an hour and something like 4 hours.

Also if you put a fat into the bag with sauces, what mostly tends to happen is you get delicious tasting butter or oil rather than super flavorful meat (though there is no harm in it that I know of). I don't have the link (phone postin), but I think Kenji would advise to just use the herbs themselves. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

As far as calibration goes - mine showed up a few days ago, and it seems to be only off from my Thermapen by about 0.3 F, so hopefully they've got that sorted out now too. Especially given that the Thermapen also read about 0.3-0.4 off in boiling water.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Foodahn posted:

Also if you put a fat into the bag with sauces, what mostly tends to happen is you get delicious tasting butter or oil rather than super flavorful meat (though there is no harm in it that I know of). I don't have the link (phone postin), but I think Kenji would advise to just use the herbs themselves. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree. I used to put fat in the bag but I've stopped now because I've noticed no real difference. For eggs though I definitely add fat and it makes a huge difference.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fat wouldn't carry your herb flavor throughout the bag as opposed to just where it's touching?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I haven't tested it for myself, but our lord and savior Kenji says that it seems to end up staying in the fat more than it gets distributed around the meat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I haven't tested it for myself, but our lord and savior Kenji says that it seems to end up staying in the fat more than it gets distributed around the meat.

After my chocolate tempering experience, he and I aren't on good terms.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Straker posted:

If you have one available that wasn't claimed earlier, I'd love one.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I finaaaallly got my anova, packaging looked sweet, the steel cover part had all sorts of weird stains that don't wash off and the display is scratched to poo poo and beyond. I'm debating just using the loving thing since its been so long since I paid for it and contacting them and seeing if I can get it replaced. The matte black plastic bits look straight out of the factory though.

In any case, I hope it's an upgrade from my SVS.

In slightly related news, I have a bunch of short ribs standing by.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
:ssh: Take the protective plastic off the display.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Did a point cut corned beef at for 48@145F, came out amazingly. Perfectly tender, but firm enough to be sliced and used as sandwich meat. Tossed it on a pan to sear the fat for a couple minutes, and it's the best corned beef I've ever eaten. Goddamn, I love this.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bob_McBob posted:

:ssh: Take the protective plastic off the display.
The first thing I did was pick all around the edges and it didn't seem like there was anything there to peel back. I'll check again I guess.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Yeah, I thought mine was scratched up too, exact same thing - just took a few tries to grab the edge of the plastic.

EDIT: Inaugural run from last night, flatiron done at 136 for about 5 hours. Wasn't impressed with the rub (some random cocoa-chili concoction I picked on a whim), but the meat itself was done perfectly.

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 14, 2014

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I am finally going to order a circulator tomorrow and I am leaning towards the Sansaire, but I am still curious about the Anova Precision. I know that the Precision has had issues out of the gate, but what are your impressions of it now that you've had a few weeks to use it. Is it a big step up from the Sansaire or is it is a product that needs time to mature before it is worthwhile? I am new to sous video, but I am pretty decent home cook, so I am not too afraid of the learning curve.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Aniki posted:

I am finally going to order a circulator tomorrow and I am leaning towards the Sansaire, but I am still curious about the Anova Precision. I know that the Precision has had issues out of the gate, but what are your impressions of it now that you've had a few weeks to use it. Is it a big step up from the Sansaire or is it is a product that needs time to mature before it is worthwhile? I am new to sous video, but I am pretty decent home cook, so I am not too afraid of the learning curve.

It is almost the same thing as a sansaire. Maybe whenever they release the app it will be better (or maybe the app will suck) but for now it's the same thing

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Okay, I'm loving my Anova but I have one problem: How the hell do I keep my veggies weighed down without affecting the flavour? I've started putting actual dishes in there and it still isn't enough. Marbles? Rocks?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Steamer basket upside down. It's rust proof and perforated so it won't have an air bubble

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just bought an anova, first thing eggs, what else?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turkey breast and short ribs. Duck breast is really good too.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Corned beef was absolutely sublime if you're into that. I also did chicken breast the other day, and it was genuinely the first time in my life that I have ENJOYED that cut, rather than simply eating it because it's what was there.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hm, corn beef sounds great.

Also, christmas with the family is coming up. Any ideas for a main dish that I could svizzle?

Kenji's deep fried porchetta looks amazing, but I don't really want to be deep frying on christmas if I don't have to.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Lamb shoulder, turkey, and cut of pork are all amazing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Lamb shoulder, turkey, and cut of pork are all amazing.

I did some Neiman ranch pork loins and they were awesome.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Did my first really long sous vizzle with the Modernist Cuisine 72-hour short ribs. My god were they amazing. Super beefy and just as tender as can be. I made a pan sauce out of the bag liquid. Just filtered it through some cheese cloth, added a bay leaf, some thyme, black peppercorns, and garlic. Holy god the pan sauce was easily the best I've ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

G-Prime posted:

Did a point cut corned beef at for 48@145F, came out amazingly. Perfectly tender, but firm enough to be sliced and used as sandwich meat. Tossed it on a pan to sear the fat for a couple minutes, and it's the best corned beef I've ever eaten. Goddamn, I love this.

Thanks for posting this! I have been meaning to vizzle some corned beef forever now. What did you use for the brine/cure? How long? 5lbs, 7lbs? I typically use Alton Brown's recipe so I figure I'll do the same thing just dump out the brine and rebag before viding.

dutchbstrd fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 15, 2014