Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I always called it triangle motion but that's probably wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

"Alright, now to do the Ultra, you charge down-back, then quickly move to down-forward, then down-back again, then up-forward plus the buttons."

":psyduck:"

Is there a specific name for that? I've heard 'pretzel motion' before, but I thought that was a very specific Geese Howard thing.

Guile/Vega U2 is charge and hold down-back, press forward twice, activate with KKK or PPP.

Guile/Vega U1 (one you talk about) is charge and hold down-back, press forward twice, activate with KKK or PPP + up-forward.
One extra button press.

Hitbox master race. :smug:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 11, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I love charge characters since buffering Bison to get moves out as fast as possible/unexpectedly is like it's own little minigame.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Beef Waifu posted:

Like the feeling of losing like a third of your health to a command grab is one of the best/worst feelings in fighting games and that fear of God is one of the reasons I love fighting games and grapplers.

Buhbuhj told me that fighting me in Tekken when I pick Marduk is really fun and I think this is basically the reason.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Basically everyone should pick Marduk, it owns and you don't have to do 360s.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

You could play Cerebella too.

No, but really, motion throws are fun.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
In general, it doesn't matter all that much if you use a stick or a pad, but honestly charge characters are way, WAY easier on a Japanese style square gate stick. I always had trouble doing the Guile super on pad but it's pretty easy on a stick. Remember, fighting games were originally designed with the arcade first and foremost in mind.

That said, a lot of people have an easier time playing grapplers on pad and the best grapplers I know are pad warriors.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It really can't be overstated that every grappler player owes it too themselves to play Cerebella, considering she's literal Mike Z wish fulfillment.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Being able to play a team of Marduk/King is what kept me liking SFxT for months beyond when everyone else had given up.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Real Marduk is even better!

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Hitbox master race. :smug:
:respek:

Jack Trades posted:

Guile/Vega U1 (one you talk about) is charge and hold down-back, press forward twice, activate with KKK or PPP + up-forward.
One extra button press.

You're not counting letting go of the buttons, which is the hardest part.

BUT for guile (and Vega too, unless you use it weirdly) you don't even need to go back to forward the second time. just hold downback, press forward and let go of back, press back and let go of forward, up+kiiiicks

Foodahn fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 12, 2014

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Brosnan posted:

I like churning butter though

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

One extra button press.

what the gently caress

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

are there any important changes in USF to akuma? the character i play because he has the only ultras i can pull off

you can only fadc your uppercuts on the first hit, you cant lowprofile with sweep into demon as an antiair, and delayed wakeup destroys set play setups.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Real Marduk is even better!
I am a two dimensional character.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

satsui no thankyou posted:

you can only fadc your uppercuts on the first hit, you cant lowprofile with sweep into demon as an antiair, and delayed wakeup destroys set play setups.

They also made Far HP special cancellable which is really cool. Plus close MK forces stand and comes out from pretty far away so Akuma has reliable hit confirms into LK Tatsu enders even on crouching opponents.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
when did set play become a thing that everyone says instead of just the nerdiest of fg nerds

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spermgod posted:

when did set play become a thing that everyone says instead of just the nerdiest of fg nerds

Sorry. Okizeme.

Oh, wait, I'm being patronizing. Mixup.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'd always thought that set play referred to playing the same person, using the same characters, multiple times in a row.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spermgod posted:

We're the only ones left

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I used the word setplay before it become cool :colbert:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Don't be this guy. Or do because he probably wins 80% of his matches like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqcHx5Hx80Y

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Edit: Remembered how to use search.

Why the gently caress isn't capcomCup RIGHT NOW

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

good job exposing that idiot moron but why do you hate shadows

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Foodahn posted:

:respek:

You're not counting letting go of the buttons, which is the hardest part.

BUT for guile (and Vega too, unless you use it weirdly) you don't even need to go back to forward the second time. just hold downback, press forward and let go of back, press back and let go of forward, up+kiiiicks

Sounds way more complicated that the way I do it.

For Guile/Vega U1 it's:
Hold Down-Back
Tap Forward
Tap Forward
Release Down-Back
Press Up-Forward
Press KKK/PPP

It's really simple.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
here are instructions for a square gate stick (P1 side):

hold stick in bottom left corner
jam stick into bottom right corner
jam stick back into bottom left corner
jam stick into top right corner and press buttons
do this really fast

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Any up input counts for the last input so you can just go from downback to upback.

Also I didn't even know I had shadows off because all I see is boxes when I play. I turned them on and now they're distracting me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Any up input counts for the last input so you can just go from downback to upback.

With Vega U1 with have to choose a direction. Up-Forward or Up-Back.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Dias posted:

Sorry. Okizeme.

Oh, wait, I'm being patronizing. Mixup.

i dont have a problem with the term i just remember a time when anime players were the only ones who used it outside of japan. also those arent synonyms.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Well this is an impressive mod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPmdB2_ATo

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Also I didn't even know I had shadows off because all I see is boxes when I play. I turned them on and now they're distracting me.

Yes, there are some things you won't be able to do if you go up forward for the ultras, like DeeJays dash U2 juggle. Input is forward, forward, down-forward, down-back, up-back.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

You don't need the down-forward and you can still do up-forward with dash ultra. For all triangle charge motions the only requirements are charge downback, any forward, downback, any up.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I'm totally okay with people not knowing things are punishable, but surely after the third or fourth time you'd think "Clearly this guy can punish this every time, maybe I should stop?"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shockeh posted:

I'm totally okay with people not knowing things are punishable, but surely after the third or fourth time you'd think "Clearly this guy can punish this every time, maybe I should stop?"

Wait...thinking? What's that?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Stop dropping your sword, Link!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Habits are very hard to break. After punishing hundreds of fools with <thing> it's hard to accept that <thing> does not work against a competent player. (I just need to be more unpredictable / It'll his THIS time!) Sometimes the point where a player changes is the at point when he runs out of explanations and excuses other than "this move actually sucks and so do I".

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
This is going back a page but if you have issues with the timing on charge moves, there is a thing called training mode that will help.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Nativity In Black posted:

This is going back a page but if you have issues with the timing on charge moves, there is a thing called training mode that will help.

I'm pretty sure Ryu doesn't say that the answer lies in the heart of training mode. So it might as well not exist. There are only fights vs. the computer, and fights vs. no-honor cheaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Nativity In Black posted:

That doesn't help when it comes down to pressrued situations. You need a live body to practice against in certain moves and combos. Training mode only does so much.

• Locked thread