Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Am I the only one who is thinking that the reason no Gamzees have ever seemed to die before is that they all ended up at this place, alongside the Kurlozes? Like, first you'll see one just kind of hanging out in the background, being an annoying clown. Then there's two, then there's four and then things just start to go horribly, horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Classtoise posted:

I like Meenah, but I have to wonder what went so horribly wrong that made her go full Condesce.

doc scratch yo

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Classtoise posted:

I like Meenah, but I have to wonder what went so horribly wrong that made her go full Condesce.

I'd go full Seahitler if I was forced to hang around Kankri and Cronus.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like today's Paradox Space :3:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Tollymain posted:

I like today's Paradox Space :3:

Me too, but it somehow slipped onto MSPA in the form of an update.

(But really, Terezi Courtroom Dramas are one of the best things about this comic.)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Poultron posted:

Did Hussie just like... start writing some weird fanfiction about his own characters?

He's been doing that since Act 6 started.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

How do people not love this, this is adorable

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Jia posted:

How do people not love this, this is adorable

Agreed.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

It's just weird to see The Most Interesting Troll go from:

quote:

AG: Tavros, at this point it should 8e o8vious.
AG: I am the unseen hand 8ehind every major event in their session, and to some extent, their whole lives.
AG: At least those events not happening 8y the volition of their own natural incompetence!

to:

quote:

VRISKA: It's just an opinion I remem8er feeling strongly a8out at one point.
VRISKA: I guess?
VRISKA: I just remem8er having some trumped up opinion a8out like, how they looked 8ad, or were a8out "trying too hard", or...
VRISKA: I don't even know really.

I know character development is a thing, but... It's like how the Dutchman needs a captain, the comic needs a Tavros to be pushed around. Punishment for being so aggressively proactive, to become so useless and aimless.

Also her art style seems less... Angular?

That's my sperg for the day.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
i never thought i'd canonically see meenah poo poo around an amusement park but i am no less happy for it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shipping meenah and vrisvris so hard right now.

Wait is this shipcest?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Shipping meenah and vrisvris so hard right now.

Wait is this shipcest?

I think Vriska is 13 and Meenah is 19? or does that go out the window with wacky dreambubble stuff

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

WAR FOOT posted:

I think Vriska is 13 and Meenah is 19? or does that go out the window with wacky dreambubble stuff

SIX SOLAR SWEEPS MAN. Not Cool.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yeah, I'm worried. No way bad poo poo isn't about to go down.

WAR FOOT posted:

no you're still a pedophile

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Did I even need to count? Of course Vriska has 8 braids.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Ah, another update that doesn't seem to go anywhere or do anything to advance the plot whatsoever. I don't care, that was adorable. And of course Hussie shows up in a panel where there's lots of horses and Vriska.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Let's be real, all the characters in Homestuck, from the beginning, have been Anime Thirteen, where they act like children whenever appropriate for character development but otherwise look, act and talk like college-aged people.

WAR FOOT posted:

Also her art style seems less... Angular?

You could say she's becoming more... well-rounded.

In addition to recieving character development.

Because she is fat, you see.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Classtoise posted:

There's a laundry list, but I think it comes down to her being bound by the very things that empowered her, aged centuries by her naturally long lifespan and her conditional immortality.

1. Doc Scratch Finishing School for Egomaniac Tyrant Princesses
2. A Horrorterror from the Outer Ring cementing her rule at the same time it makes her entire race vulnerable to extinction
3. Lord English probably gives her special powers at the expense of her servitude
4. Insurrections put down
5. The Vast Glub actually happening and being alone for unknown ages

What really sets Meenah apart from Vriska is that while Meenah fangirls over the Condesce, she is self-confident and sees no need to pretend to be anybody but herself.

Compare this with the Serkets, whom both hid self-esteem issues to the point they wished they were somebody else. Aranea knew Mindfang was a Troll of her own that lived out her own life and wasn't her, but after an intermission of being treated like poo poo by her dancestor and best friend thought she'd try to emulate her. Vriska spent nearly her entire living life reading a book and making decisions "What Would Spinneret Do?" instead of figuring out WHO she was, and what SHE wanted. Not measuring up to Aranea's psychic power, and then seeing Aranea try and fail probably had her reconsider how much she wanted to be that, and why.

John was a start, but with Meenah she has a friend on a much closer wavelength and she can figure this poo poo out.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My guess: Tavros is going to be in that tattoo shop, also on a date. Things get awkward. Then Lord English shows up and things get even MORE awkward.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bell_ posted:

John was a start, but with Meenah she has a friend on a much closer wavelength and she can figure this poo poo out.

I'd argue the opposite, actually. Vriska seems to be acting like a younger sibling. First wanting to mimic Mindfang, now trying to accommodate Meenah - Through hair, apathy and now tattoo.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My guess: Tavros is going to be in that tattoo shop, also on a date. Things get awkward. Then Lord English shows up and things get even MORE awkward.

For max awkward, it turns out he was already there, watching the whole time.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

The Deleter posted:

Well obviously. His already being there never stopped being a thing that was happening.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Deleter posted:

Of course he is. This whole scenerio is just like the mega-tender fan comics he used to draw as a child and he wants to see how it plays out. He is as entertained as he is aroused.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

I'd argue the opposite, actually. Vriska seems to be acting like a younger sibling. First wanting to mimic Mindfang, now trying to accommodate Meenah - Through hair, apathy and now tattoo.

Yeah I'm seeing that here too. The apathy bit is especially forced.

also, horse-a-whirl. that is all.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

I am kind of wondering about Meenah. So far, she has kind of been a static character: she is more sophisticated than her peers, and isn't as self-centered and high strung, but I don't know how much insight she really has into things. She seems to be subtly steering Vriska away from her feelings, which while it may be good for Vriska for a while, seems to also be stopping her from growing.

Meenah is just a little too cool, seems to be the problem. Vriska was curious, and Meenah shot down that curiosity because she is too aloof to worry about why a circus dream bubble should exist.

I think it's more that this is the first time Vriska has gotten a chance to act like a 'normal' teenage girl. All her life, she's had a lot of irons in the fire. It started because she had to. If she didn't keep luring people home to feed to her lusus, she'd die. So she had to keep juggling schemes. Later, with the game, this need to be useful transitioned to an obsession to be useful. She had to be the 8est because it justified the things she'd done and the people she'd stepped on.

Now she's dead, and under no obligations whatsoever. She still kinda hung on to her 'have to be the 8est' schtick for a while, but now that she has a friend who appreciates her either way, she's slowly learning to chill the gently caress out.

Now, this isn't to say that this is the best adult-worldview. Being carefree is just part of learning to have a normal childhood. At some point, she will have to finish growing up and pick up responsibility again, not because she has to, but because she wants to.

Of course, I could be competely wrong and this is just the first fifteen minutes of any given slasher film, where the cool teens goof around before the killer shows up.

McStephenson posted:

Horses and Hussie.

and Vriska.

I don't get it. I just really really don't.

Why horses? Whyyyyyyyy

It's impossible to say at this point what the 'originating' event was/will be, but it's thematic thing that Caliborn and others keep getting their butts kicked surrounded by horses.

It seems like this is all a setup for horses to play some role in Lord English's final defeat, but I've got no clue how that's going to align.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 12, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bobulus posted:

It seems like this is all a setup for horses to play some role in Lord English's final defeat, but I've got no clue how that's going to align.

[S]Heroes: Ride

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bobulus posted:

You know how Hook is terrified of clocks/the crocodile, and Homestuck references Hook a lot?

Yeah, that, but with Horses instead.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alternately, I suppose if this is going to go horror, Hussie could be making another literature allusion. An 'island' (planet in the void) populated by a carnival, where no one ever grows old? That may be a trap?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Toys

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh hey, who's that?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Assuming Vriska gets tattooed and this isn't a set up for a slasher movie, how long will it take between the update and a fan getting the same tattoo? And how terrible will it be?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This better be a trap. We've had enough cutaways from plot-important sequences in favor of meaningless bullshit in this story already and I'm tired of it, so I'm rooting for it to go somewhere relevant fast, and a trap is the most likely direction that makes any sense.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I, for one, welcome the perfectly jejune weeks-long interlude that will be TattooQuest.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The tattooist is gonna be Lord English, calling it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

Behind him, thousands of dreambubble ghosts, all inked up to hell and back. His kamehameha mouth beam has just been an industrial-grade Tattoo Cannon this entire time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

This better be a trap. We've had enough cutaways from plot-important sequences in favor of meaningless bullshit in this story already and I'm tired of it, so I'm rooting for it to go somewhere relevant fast, and a trap is the most likely direction that makes any sense.

It's a trap for readers who actually think we've had too much bullshit already so something involving Vriska is going to be relevant.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
You guys have it all wrong, Lord English is on the Rollercoaster with Gamzee.

They're having surrogate father-clown shooter bonding time.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Poultron posted:

Did Hussie just like... start writing some weird fanfiction about his own characters?

Glory of Arioch posted:

man we were dangerously close to some actual plot development

better cut to ghost tattoo town

Homestuck really is back.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Classtoise posted:

I attribute it just to Alternia being such a hosed up place. So the same things that went horribly wrong that led to most of the other trolls dying in horrible ways. It's not like they ever got to take a break from all the murder to hang out and be teenagers together, and as old as the HIC is the system was presumably in place before she was even born.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ThaumPenguin posted:

But how can he give you a tattoo when the one you want is already there?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I just wanna be clear, it was a cute update, but like holy poo poo it's really like I accidentally tabbed over to some dude's fanfiction about Fatso and Seahitler