Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mindblast posted:

I'm still not sure what the full scope of Hand Guy's powers are. At first glance it appears to be the ability to crush whatever he gets his hands on but what's the meaning of the other hands in that case.

Extra opportunities for crushing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mindblast posted:

I'm still not sure what the full scope of Hand Guy's powers are. At first glance it appears to be the ability to crush whatever he gets his hands on but what's the meaning of the other hands in that case.

As far as we've seen they... Don't do anything. I mean, we haven't seen much, just that he somehow tore apart the school's gate and that when he grabbed Aizawa's elbow it started breaking apart (the clothing on it seemed to outright disintegrate even), which doesn't really have any connection to the other hands that I can see. Shiragaki's kind of a mystery right now, much like Noumu; Black Mist is the only one of the three we've got a pretty good idea about, since we've seen his power, his weakness, and a lot of him talking. It might be a weird science thing like Noumu being an "artificial human".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Maybe each hand has its own power!

Oh god, what if he can detach some of them and make them crawl along the earth like a spider?! :gonk:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mindblast posted:

Necrotouch

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
One thing I thought of is that each hand could change a different physical property of what it touches. Like one hand makes things hot, another makes them cold, one makes things malleable, the other makes them brittle, gas, liquid, solid, and so on. But while that would be a cool power it would probably be way too powerful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

But while that would be a cool power it would probably be way too powerful.

Hot/Cold guy seems pretty powerful in a similar way. What's to keep him from just freezing everything in sight? It doesn't seem like he actually needs to touch things to freeze them. I guess something with a specific ability like being able to generate fire/heat could counter it, but most people would be poo poo out of luck.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

What's to keep him from just freezing everything in sight?

He's aiming be a hero so he'll avoid doing that kind of horrifying poo poo as much as he can.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Ytlaya posted:

Hot/Cold guy seems pretty powerful in a similar way. What's to keep him from just freezing everything in sight? It doesn't seem like he actually needs to touch things to freeze them. I guess something with a specific ability like being able to generate fire/heat could counter it, but most people would be poo poo out of luck.

Collateral damage seems like a pain.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

JosephWongKS posted:

He's aiming be a hero so he'll avoid doing that kind of horrifying poo poo as much as he can.

I actually like that he got that moment to voice his thoughts, since my initial impression was that he was gonna be the kid who goes villain. Course, it could still happen but it's less sure now. In general, I actually like how that whole class has been introduced and developed even though most of the focus is on Deku.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Only about half the class has gotten any focus at all. The tape guy just did his thing with no introduction or fanfare.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Allarion posted:

I actually like that he got that moment to voice his thoughts, since my initial impression was that he was gonna be the kid who goes villain. Course, it could still happen but it's less sure now. In general, I actually like how that whole class has been introduced and developed even though most of the focus is on Deku.

Are you kidding? It's obvious that Iida is going to turn villain first! After all:

He's quite EVIL!! :moreevil:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ugh. These scanlators have spoiled me. I need more My Hero Academia.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Are scanlations caught up now? I don't know where to look for untranslated manga but I thought the series was in the early 20's now.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The latest chapter on batoto is chapter 20, if you speak spanish. The English translations are 3 chapters behind. I don't know how far ahead the Japanese chapters are but it's gotta be at least at chapter 21 by now.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Chapter 18! http://bato.to/read/_/290022/boku-no-hero-academia_ch18_by_fallen-angels/3

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I shed a single Indian tear... this comic is so good.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

drat I read that too fast, I hope chapter 19 comes out soon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are rough translations of Chapter 19, Chapter 20, and Chapter 21 out. The grammar isn't great, and they were translated from the Portuguese version, but it's better than nothing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really love this dude's style for some reason despite the goofy hapless face thing people tend to have going on because of the jumps to hyper-detail and the really loving creepy design of Mr. Hands.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Handyman is becoming weirder every single time he does something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

All might :allears:
Couldnt wait so I read 19.
I love this loving manga.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shigaraki (Hands's real name) is out of his loving mind. It's great. He's like a human version of the angriest dog in the world, just paralyzed by malice most of the time. Much as I want him to actually do something him just sort of standing there growling and being progressively more unsettling for the rest of the series would be pretty great too.

Seriously, what do those hands even do?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Am I the only one who really can't stand the "For I'm here!" catchphrase thing? It's such a weird mix of formality and informality, between the use of the word for and the contraction of "I am." The translation group seems really good other than that one glaring thing that shows up almost every chapter.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I don't even notice.

But All Might is both a pretty informal guy and hammy as gently caress. "For I'm Here" is very grandiose, but at the same time keeps the informality of somebody who's only saying it because it sounds cool, so it kinda fits.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I don't think you can make the claim All Might is informal when he basically balloons himself into a superhuman every time he goes out in public. He's a superhero announcing his arrival in classic comic style, they could at least break up the contraction, or replace it with his drat name since I think it's a direct copy of "There's no need to fear, Underdog is here."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be corny and kind of weird sounding because that's All Might's whole shtick

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I went ahead and read chapters 19-21 and they were pretty great. I wonder how they're going to handle Midoriya transitioning to becoming more powerful; it seems like the instant he learns to control his power is also the instant he becomes stronger/more capable than the vast majority of characters in the comic's world.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder how they're going to handle Midoriya transitioning to becoming more powerful; it seems like the instant he learns to control his power is also the instant he becomes stronger/more capable than the vast majority of characters in the comic's world.

Indeed, this is something that has never before occurred or been dealt with in the genre of shonen manga...

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I went ahead and read chapters 19-21 and they were pretty great. I wonder how they're going to handle Midoriya transitioning to becoming more powerful; it seems like the instant he learns to control his power is also the instant he becomes stronger/more capable than the vast majority of characters in the comic's world.

It's not just control though. His body just doesn't have the musculature to support his power. Which for the purposes of this story means that he will never hit full power because the comic is never going to age him into his mid 20s except possibly in the last chapter. Control < swole.

Also he's going to have a power loss arc. Obviously.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spoilers for Chapter 21:

Name: Cement
Quirk: Cement

:allears:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

It's not just control though. His body just doesn't have the musculature to support his power. Which for the purposes of this story means that he will never hit full power because the comic is never going to age him into his mid 20s except possibly in the last chapter. Control < swole.

Also he's going to have a power loss arc. Obviously.

All Might goes from skinny twerp to a tower of muscles in an instant, though.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Slime posted:

All Might goes from skinny twerp to a tower of muscles in an instant, though.

I was under the impression that All Might doesn't have the musculature to support his power either and that his control of his quirk was just forcibly buffing him up out of necessity. He's running off of willpower and mentor pride and he keeps bleeding out in twerp form because of it. He bleeds out a lot so that may be his version of Deku's bones breaking.

Honestly this is all speculation until we get a flashback arc. Which I'm hoping we're not getting soon because that'll probably precede him dying horribly.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

I was under the impression that All Might doesn't have the musculature to support his power either and that his control of his quirk was just forcibly buffing him up out of necessity. He's running off of willpower and mentor pride and he keeps bleeding out in twerp form because of it. He bleeds out a lot so that may be his version of Deku's bones breaking.

Honestly this is all speculation until we get a flashback arc. Which I'm hoping we're not getting soon because that'll probably precede him dying horribly.

well theres also his wound from Super Venom Chainsaw or whatever his name was, that hasnt helped matters

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I read the other chapters and while they were perfectly understandable, I hope there's a better English translation coming than "but the eyeballs were completely crushed, this can cause serious damage to his eyes".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mercury Hat posted:

I read the other chapters and while they were perfectly understandable, I hope there's a better English translation coming than "but the eyeballs were completely crushed, this can cause serious damage to his eyes".

Yeah I laughed at that too. Fallen Angels has 19 and 20 already translated, they're just waiting for them to be cleaned. Apparently this series is a bitch to clean.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I like that some of the quirks are literally "they're an animal person", like the cat detective.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I wanted to hear that's guys story for why he became a villain.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spoilers for Chapter 21:

A Sports Festival arc, eh? Wonder if we'll also get a Cultural Festival arc, a School Trip arc, a Beach episode, and a Hot Springs / Bath-House episode.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It feels like everyone in the comic is trying really hard to ignore the fact that one teacher is walking around topless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Radish posted:

It feels like everyone in the comic is trying really hard to ignore the fact that one teacher is walking around topless...
Technically the invisible girl is naked except for the gloves and shoes she wears. Not sure why she wouldn't just wear clothes in class since it's not like she really HAS to be invisible all the time but w/e thankfully they haven't gotten terribly creepy about it.