Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

We've all just been assuming a lot of things regarding the Inhumans movie, which was only announced as a name (which could change) and a date (which could also change.)

I'm wondering if the 'Inhumans' movie could end up being an Agents of SHIELD movie, but they thought there's be too much backlash at the time they announced it, because AoS didn't yet have the credibility it has now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

ashpanash posted:

I'm wondering if the 'Inhumans' movie could end up being an Agents of SHIELD movie, but they thought there's be too much backlash at the time they announced it, because AoS didn't yet have the credibility it has now.

I kind of like this idea, they've got like 60 years of comic mythology to draw upon for the current movies, but by the time the Inhumans movie comes out they'll have like four years of TV and 10 years of the movies themselves to build on if they want.

I've never been that into comics, so I'm all for them totally disregarding existing story lines and creating something brand new.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Bruceski posted:

A live-action Squirrel Girl would be great.

You know I looked her up and saw the picture on wikipedia, and I have to say between this and the Luke Cage thing, if I didn't hear otherwise I'd think Dr. Doom was kind of terrible at villianing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Dexo posted:

Ward's gonna screw with the programming and she's gonna end up looking like Skye.

This would actually be entirely perfect. I'll now be disappointed when this doesn't happen.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Actually instead of being "puberty caused the X gene to kick in" it's "the mists caused K gene to kick in". Both are born with it. It's genetic. The difference is basically mutant genes exist through mutation inhuman genes through experimentation by kree. And mists instead of puberty to kick start the whole process.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are the Eternals something completely different?

Also, could you be both a mutant and an inhuman?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

greatn posted:

Are the Eternals something completely different?

Also, could you be both a mutant and an inhuman?

Eternals are basically another god race aren't they? Like Asgardians.

And In thee MCU, no. There's no mutants here! In the comics I can't see why it wouldn't work if someone had both a mutated x gene and the inhuman gene and was then exposed. Although maybe the two aren't able to coexist viably?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Masonity posted:

They only got confused for gods, usually with good reasons considering what they can do. Otherwise they are pretty much evolved humans. Really evolved humans.

I should add they got to that point after alien shenanigans, so they have that in common with Inhumans.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The X gene is the result of Celestials messing around with the DNA of human ancestors in the process that also created the Eternals. The Celestials did this with almost ever sentient race in the universe, so Skrulls got their own version of mutants.

As for Eternals being gods, Eternals mistaken for gods and actual gods coexists in the Marvel universe. This lead to odd situations like the Eternal Ajak also being an Aztec god, and the existence of both Athena and the Eternal Thena who was apparently the inspiration for Athena. You can tell them apart because Thena wears pants.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Masonity posted:

And In thee MCU, no. There's no mutants here! In the comics I can't see why it wouldn't work if someone had both a mutated x gene and the inhuman gene and was then exposed. Although maybe the two aren't able to coexist viably?

Eternals were the result of genetic experimentation by the Celestials, much like the Kree did but a lot earlier, and instead of ending up with fish people and indestructible psychic hair these humans became immortal supermen.

In the comics, there are two mutant/Inhuman hybrids. One, Luna Maximoff (Quicksilver's daughter) was born powerless and didn't manifest any powers as she got older, supposedly because her Inhuman genes and Mutant genes cancelled each other out. There's a story where Quicksilver can't cope with having a plain old human daughter, and tries exposing her to the Terrigen mists. Thing intervenes, and then depending on what your head cannon is it's either revealed that Lockjaw (a giant dog-beast with tuning a fork in his head) is an Inhuman, or Quicksilver is tricked into thinking Blackbolt's bizarro dog can talk. Either way, Quicksilver decides not to risk it, until House of M happens, and he starts running around with the Terrigen Crystals re-powering mutants, and as it turns out Terrigenesis doesn't turn Luna into a freak of nature, it just gives her really boring empath powers.

The other mutant/Inhuman (who was rather clumsily retconned into being one by Bendis, who is poo poo) is the Beyonder. He's a dude who's more powerful than the Infinity Gauntlet and the Cosmic Cube put together. Like, Omnipotent with a capital O.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The MSJ posted:

The X gene is the result of Celestials messing around with the DNA of human ancestors in the process that also created the Eternals. The Celestials did this with almost ever sentient race in the universe, so Skrulls got their own version of mutants.

As for Eternals being gods, Eternals mistaken for gods and actual gods coexists in the Marvel universe. This lead to odd situations like the Eternal Ajak also being an Aztec god, and the existence of both Athena and the Eternal Thena who was apparently the inspiration for Athena. You can tell them apart because Thena wears pants.

Isn't Thanos an example of a Mutant Eternal? Not necessarily the exact same kinda "mutant" as x-gene mutants on earth, but anyway he's a special weird mutant-born Eternal.

(there also seems to be a sub-race of immortal mutants but nevermind that :ssh:)

edit:

First Bass posted:

The other mutant/Inhuman (who was rather clumsily retconned into being one by Bendis, who is poo poo) is the Beyonder. He's a dude who's more powerful than the Infinity Gauntlet and the Cosmic Cube put together. Like, Omnipotent with a capital O.

That's dumb.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 12, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

That's dumb.

There is a lot about the Beyonder that is dumb. I mean, for a character the existed solely to incite the Secret Wars, which in turn happened just to prove that comic books could still sell toys, he was pretty cool. Nearly everything that happened with him after though is stupid dumb contradictory crap.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zythrst posted:

You know I looked her up and saw the picture on wikipedia, and I have to say between this and the Luke Cage thing, if I didn't hear otherwise I'd think Dr. Doom was kind of terrible at villianing.

He kind of is. But Squirrel Girl is a joke, and she never beat Doom. Just a Doombot.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Kheldarn posted:

He kind of is. But Squirrel Girl is a joke, and she never beat Doom. Just a Doombot.

No, she beat the real deal.
After the incident Doom was utterly terrified of her.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

No, she beat the real deal.
After the incident Doom was utterly terrified of her.

No, it was a Doombat. Uatu was like, "No, that was totally the real deal, not a fake, really!"

She's a horrible character.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

No, it was a Doombat. Uatu was like, "No, that was totally the real deal, not a fake, really!"

She's a horrible character.

I think you may not understand the concept of "comedy".

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

XboxPants posted:

I think you may not understand the concept of "comedy".

I do, but I just don't find her funny.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
As entitled to your opinion as you may be, I doubt Marvel canon changes to reflect what you specifically like and don't like. Not outside your own mind, anyway.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

First Bass posted:

Bendis is great, when he's writing street level heroes.

His Ultimate Spider-man book was goddamn amazing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

GreenNight posted:

Actually due to the fan backlash about this falling through, talks have resumed. I guess the sticking point was that Marvel wanted full creative control of Spiderman going forward, with a 60/40 profit deal with Sony getting 40. Sony didn't want to give up control.

My favorite thing about this is that it recently came out that Sony is basically being kept alive by Playstation and it's outside manufacturing the split would mean big money for them. If Marvel could open GotG imagine what they could do with Spiderman.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

XboxPants posted:

Isn't Thanos an example of a Mutant Eternal? Not necessarily the exact same kinda "mutant" as x-gene mutants on earth, but anyway he's a special weird mutant-born Eternal.

(there also seems to be a sub-race of immortal mutants but nevermind that :ssh:)

He's a Deviant-throwback born to Eternal parents. Deviants are the other race created by the Celestials on the same planets as the Eternals in a only the strongest survive competition, winner gets to be the template for the planets dominant race. I think Skrulls are the only other time in the books that the Deviants win.

It'll be interesting if the keep the whole racial purity, only 1% off Inhumans being worthy of uplifting through the crystals aspect in the MCU.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

First Bass posted:

There is a lot about the Beyonder that is dumb. I mean, for a character the existed solely to incite the Secret Wars, which in turn happened just to prove that comic books could still sell toys, he was pretty cool. Nearly everything that happened with him after though is stupid dumb contradictory crap.

I am sorry but Spider-man had to teach him to poop.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I am sorry but Spider-man had to teach him to poop.

I hope we get this in Agents of SHIELD, with Coulson teaching him.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Xtanstic posted:

Geez I had no idea about all this backroom drama. I only know about Feige due to his profile from a whiel back and of Loeb because of the bitching on these forums. It sounds like I should be thankful for Avi Arad for kicking off the superhero fad and also thankful that he's gone.

From what little information is available about the BTS shenanigans at Marvel in the mid-2000s, my sense is that Arad was reasonably important both in pushing Marvel into film production and in advocating for Iron Man as their first film.

I also get the sense that the MCU wouldn't have turned out nearly as well had he stayed on board, since he reportedly disagreed with other execs like Feige and Maisel about which properties to adapt and how many films to make. He'd probably have opposed doing Cap and Thor films before Avengers, I suspect.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Ignore this post. I don't do dates well, for some reason I thought the Edward Norton Hulk came out before Iron Man, which of course wouldn't make sense given the final scene in that movie.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 12, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ashpanash posted:

We've all just been assuming a lot of things regarding the Inhumans movie, which was only announced as a name (which could change) and a date (which could also change.)

Even setting aside questions of corporate politics or relative audience size, that doesn't make a ton of sense to me on a narrative level.

Presumably, Marvel will want a few more grounded POV characters to play off against the Attilan crew, and by that point, the SHIELD characters will have accumulated so much history of their own that they won't work as such.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Barry Convex posted:

Even setting aside questions of corporate politics or relative audience size, that doesn't make a ton of sense to me on a narrative level.

Presumably, Marvel will want a few more grounded POV characters to play off against the Attilan crew, and by that point, the SHIELD characters will have accumulated so much history of their own that they won't work as such.

Or they go the GotG route and just eschew 'grounded POV characters' entirely

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pander posted:

Or they go the GotG route and just eschew 'grounded POV characters' entirely

Yeah, no one could relate to a wise-crackin', white-bread American who grew up steeped in 80's culture crushing on Alyssa Milano listening to mix-tapes of pop-music, what a stretch that was.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

First Bass posted:

He's a sentient universe, no he's a Steve Rogers duplicate with bad hair, no he's his own son, no he's a dead baby, no he's a cosmic cube, no he's an inhuman.

Yeah. The Beyonder has always and will always be an amazingly stupid idea, no matter how many times they try to spin it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

First Bass posted:

Bendis, who is poo poo

Dexo posted:

Bendis is great, when he's writing street level heroes.

His Ultimate Spider-man book was goddamn amazing.

Bendis is actually quite good, especially, as pointed out, with the more down-to-earth stuff. Deconstructionism, yay!

XboxPants posted:

Only Selene and Cannonball are still around, the other immortals were... killed somehow. They, uh, haven't really addressed that.

Kheldarn posted:

I do, but I just don't find her funny.

Comics are serious business.

Serious business.

sbaldrick posted:

My favorite thing about this is that it recently came out that Sony is basically being kept alive by Playstation and it's outside manufacturing the split would mean big money for them. If Marvel could open GotG imagine what they could do with Spiderman.

Playstation is obviously only "beating" Xbox because of the name recognition. Most people can't really tell you why they prefer one over the other*. Not here in this conclave of nerds we call Something Awful, of course. I mean real, actual human beings that have been exposed to sunlight.

* PC gamers like gaming on the PC because they are apparently actual Nazis, if you listen closely to what they are saying. I dunno man, I'm not the one ranting about master races and being a dick about it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, no one could relate to a wise-crackin', white-bread American who grew up steeped in 80's culture crushing on Alyssa Milano listening to mix-tapes of pop-music, what a stretch that was.

He's a space thief/pirate who doesn't ask endless expository questions due to an ignorance of his surroundings (excepting for the power gem which few in the setting knew much about). He's not an everyman because he's already steeped in the crazy rear end world he lives in. Just because he has some 80s references doesn't make him an audience stand-in. This helped keep the movie's pace quick.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

What was the point of the film's opening scene, if not to ground Quill in an identifiable reality otherwise absent from the film?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

They are using Black Panther now in the movie instead of Spider-man.

Am I the only one that thinks that works out a lot better, honestly?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Barry Convex posted:

What was the point of the film's opening scene, if not to ground Quill in an identifiable reality otherwise absent from the film?

It provides the audience an explanation for why Quill has lived most of his life in space, and it gives his background regarding his mother that's crucial to his character throughout the rest of the movie. I would also argue that it doesn't ground Quill at all, it does the opposite. He may have been born a child of Earth and have passing references he can make to this, but most of his life has been out in the galaxy where the strange is just a part of his life.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

There is a difference between character development and having a character be an audience stand in. Skye in season 1 was an audience stand in. Peter Quill's intro was necessary exposition to lay basic ground work for the character. He doesn't spend the rest of the movie trying to fit in with a crazy new world. He is already as much a part of it as Draxx and Rocket.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I think this is threatening to turn into semantic hair-splitting, so I'm not going to argue the point further.

In any case, I don't see how the Inhumans film would benefit on any non-fanservice level from being centered around characters with up to five seasons' worth of continuity behind them. Skye/Daisy could still have a cameo, though.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

So far you're arguing he's identifiable for three reasons

1) He's human
2) He likes 80s stuff
3) He doesn't know EVERYTHING (ie what is Rocket? Why doesn't Drax understand metaphor?). These are relatively minor things though.

But there's countless other reasons he's not, as you originally argued, a grounded POV character

1) He immediately backstabs a vicious pirate
2) He has an intricate familiarity with crazy technology, using exotic gadgets in his opening scene even.
3) He's cool with every random alien or situation he comes across.

Quill wasn't grounded. He wasn't asking the kind of questions that'd fill in gaps of the audience's knowledge, or playing a straight man to the weird 'other'. GotG kept up a lively pace because it made the assumption that the audience didn't need an expository-thirsty stand-in.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

I think this is threatening to turn into semantic hair-splitting, so I'm not going to argue the point further.

In any case, I don't see how the Inhumans film would benefit on any non-fanservice level from being centered around characters with up to five seasons' worth of continuity behind them. Skye/Daisy could still have a cameo, though.

Except that's basically what the Avengers did? They took characters that had their own material, and put them together in a movie, with a purpose beyond cameo.

Why is it impossible to take Agents of Shield and put some of them into a movie again? It's not like Joss Whedon shied away from that type of challenge with Firefly/Serenity.

The Agents, having dealt with Inhuman stuff for a few seasons, finally get to The Real poo poo when the Royalty comes and a galactic conflict starts (or some other such similar plot). Boom, inhumans movie.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Pander posted:

Except that's basically what the Avengers did? They took characters that had their own material, and put them together in a movie, with a purpose beyond cameo.

Why is it impossible to take Agents of Shield and put some of them into a movie again? It's not like Joss Whedon shied away from that type of challenge with Firefly/Serenity.

The Agents, having dealt with Inhuman stuff for a few seasons, finally get to The Real poo poo when the Royalty comes and a galactic conflict starts (or some other such similar plot). Boom, inhumans movie.

...c'mon, a movie or two is quite a bit less continuity than multiple seasons of a serialized TV show, and Serenity was a modestly budgeted movie aimed at a narrower audience than anything Marvel does.

It's not that it's impossible; it's that it does absolutely nothing to make the Inhumans property more accessible to the majority of the film audience that doesn't watch the show, quite the opposite in fact. Especially given that the premise easily allows for the introduction of new Inhuman characters who have no such continuity baggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm starting to think that Barry just hates Inhumans...

• Locked thread