Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
DAMNIT! Sorry guys. Trying to do a good deed and once again, failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
TCK makes really great patterns worth spending the money on, and are lovely women, to boot. I've used their Simple Collection to get a few people starting on knitting, or knitting particular items they were afraid to. I finished the Lush cardigan and really enjoyed its construction.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Well I'm sorry I was at work and couldn't let you guys know that this pattern was free until noon today, but goddamn I am STOKED. I am gonna STASHBUST SO HARD!

Actually, if you know how to make a buttonhole, you don't really even need a pattern. It's pretty much just a bunch of long skinny cabled scarves braided together. Just grab a stitch dictionary and go to town.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeeaah I saw that, but I'm skeptical until I see it on a human. It's weird that none of her pics have someone wearing it.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeeaah I saw that, but I'm skeptical until I see it on a human. It's weird that none of her pics have someone wearing it.

It's also still actively in review. Did she not have any test knitters?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I made a thing!

Girl Friday Sweater by effika, on Flickr

(Ravelry project with full notes and more photos)

Pattern is Girl Friday from Knitty

I made it longer and looser, and I'm glad I did. That removed a lot of the frumpiness from the sweater.

Also: our cat loves this sweater and always wanted to sit on the project while I was knitting it.

Try to block it? Fat chance.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

effika posted:

I made a thing!

Girl Friday Sweater by effika, on Flickr

(Ravelry project with full notes and more photos)

Pattern is Girl Friday from Knitty

I made it longer and looser, and I'm glad I did. That removed a lot of the frumpiness from the sweater.

Also: our cat loves this sweater and always wanted to sit on the project while I was knitting it.

Try to block it? Fat chance.

That is gorgeous! I love seeing interpretations of patterns that show the thing in a whole new light.

Also your cat is so pretty!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

That is gorgeous! I love seeing interpretations of patterns that show the thing in a whole new light.

Also your cat is so pretty!

Thank you!

The cat accepts your compliments and has gone back to bathing.

So does anybody get in a little bit of a funk after finishing a big project? I always feel like I do when I've finished a really good book.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
There is a new Knitty today and everything is terrible! Hideous colorwork, socks with giant cables, generic-as-gently caress shawls, and just to mix things up, crocheted granny squares!

:eng99:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Wow, what the fuuuuck. Usually I can tell what they're going for, I just don't like it, but this issue it looks like they were desperate and took the first dozen patterns to come in.

Miriam, the brown cardigan, is generic but not offensive. Tourbillon, the stranded hat, will look fine in different/better/fewer colors. Other than that, ouch.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I saw the new Knitty stuff during my Ravelry free pattern browse with breakfast... I scrolled past them like I do any uninteresting new thing without realizing they were from Knitty. :eng99: indeed.

It seems like a lot in this issues is repetitive-- all of the sweaters feel like tweaks of earlier sweaters.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
A new Knitty! Time to talk about how terrible it is.

I got a chuckle out of the Reflector hat. Dude, if you're wearing that on a bike you're not wearing a helmet. Wear a helmet. Put the reflecty stuff on a vest or a scarf or something.

The vest mostly seems bad because of the colors and the model wearing a terrible shirt under it. But you take that away and it's just a generic dime-a-dozen sweatervest so uh...

It really is mostly boring. I stand by my earlier position that Ravelry devoured Knitty's lunch by offering an easier place for designers to show off and advertise their patterns, so now Kitty's just stumbling along without being able to compete.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Knitty was great for really oddball, awesome looking patterns that used new and interesting techniques, or old techniques in new ways. But even then they always had to make their quota of generic sweaters, generic lace shawls, and generic socks. But this? This is AWFUL. I may write off Knitty as a whole after this.

Two super generic lace shawls. The gloves are neat, but it really bothers me that Franklin Habit has published several patterns in Knitty (and was paid for them) that were just him translating very old patterns into modern instructions and techniques. The granny square thing is bullshit. Four boring cowls. Two ugly colorwork hats, one hat that goes "I believe in safety first!" and yet eschews using a bike helmet (!). Alice is nice, I like the flapper girl thing. Four boring sweaters. Two hideous things I don't want to look at. The skirt is kind of neat but in a really quirky, silly way that hardly anybody will actually wear in public. The socks are okay but I've seen that same basic design a bajillion times now. The duck is cute. The slippers are neat but the color choices make my eyes hurt.

So um... 3-and-a-half out of 22?

Frankly, I'm questioning Knitty's standards now after this granny square crap. I've seen patterns that were rejected from Knitty that took ten times the work and skill and looked a thousand times better than some of the things Knitty has published lately. Now I'm starting to think they'll take anything quirky enough.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 11, 2014

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I really like the Minetta cardigan, but gently caress knitting a sweater from fingering weight yarn.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Look at this.

This is a photo on a professional website.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

Look at this.

This is a photo on a professional website.

Looks like a pretty accurate representation of the souls of all who looked at Knitty with any hope in their heart.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
That is one ugly duck. Seriously, why is it ribbed? Why does it have a conehead?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
So you can rip it apart completely and reknit it as a beautiful swan.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Their picture quality has declined at the same rate as their designs. The pictures used to show the designs off decently, now half of them don't show the back, or how the bottom edge of a sweater fits, or they have someone with a lace shawl over a printed shirt so you can't see the loving thing at all.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The pictures are sent in by the pattern writers, so that's not surprising at all.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I just wonder why the editors haven't sent back a message with "can we see what the thing ACTUALLY looks like?". I've had to wait and go hunting on ravelry for finished pictures from other people to see what things looked like. There's been a few times where I would have started a shawl that I hated the looks of because it looked totally different worn over a printed shirt. Have one picture where someone is floating the piece up against the sky, or hanging on wall or something.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Fionnoula posted:

I made it up but I wrote it down. You can have it if you want but warning: it hasn't been test knitted by anyone other than me so I don't know if there are parts that are unclear. Also, I have no real idea how much yarn it takes since the red was a huge cone of Peaches & Cream and the multi ones were from one of those HUGE skeins of Bernat Handicrafter (the ones that are like 600yards), so they may well take more than one regular skein of kitchen cotton. I weighed one after making it and based on how much it weighs vs. how much the skein has in yds/weight, I think maybe it's like 210-220 yards? Shoot me your email and I'll send it to you.

Thanks to Fionnoula and her great pattern, I made a really cute bag!

Fionnoula, you should seriously think of selling this pattern if you haven't already. The instructions were super easy to follow and I love the results. Thanks again!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Nibblet posted:

Fionnoula, you should seriously think of selling this pattern if you haven't already. The instructions were super easy to follow and I love the results. Thanks again!

Awesome, I'm glad it was clear enough. I gave them out to my kid's teachers today and they were thrilled with them. Although now it looks like the law isn't taking effect in California until July, but they'll have 6 months to get used to bringing them along when they shop. I've never sold a pattern before, I'm too scurred.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Fionnoula posted:

Awesome, I'm glad it was clear enough. I gave them out to my kid's teachers today and they were thrilled with them. Although now it looks like the law isn't taking effect in California until July, but they'll have 6 months to get used to bringing them along when they shop. I've never sold a pattern before, I'm too scurred.

I've got a buddy who sold a pattern to Lion Brand for $300. It's easier than you think.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Fionnoula posted:

I think you could easily put the pattern up on Ravelry for $5.00. I buy patterns from there all the time and I don't know how involved it is but if you make it a nice PDF layout, I think when people pay with Paypal or whatever, it automatically downloads the pattern to them. Or like Sex Hobbit says, contact one of the yarn companies that sell patterns. Anyway, thanks again!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Yeah, putting a pattern up on Rav is stupid easy. Make a PDF, make it look nice, put it on Rav. I still get the occasional buy there even though I haven't been active on the site for over a year now, and the only time there was a hiccup was when I had switched banks and didn't update Paypal right away (people weren't getting their patterns because Paypal couldn't confirm something or other). That took all of one person for me to notice and fix, too, because it was obvious from the emails I get for each pattern purchase that they had paid but not received the pattern.

Seriously. Do the thing. It's easy and you won't get rich but it's always a nice surprise to get a buy.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Last minute Christmas gift hats:

What are you all knitting for gifts?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

a friendly penguin posted:

[...]

What are you all knitting for gifts?

Wow, that yarn is gorgeous! It looks like spun gold. What is it?

And as far as Christmas gifts go, I'm working on the last piece of a matching cowl and glove set for my mom. She picked out the yarn and pattern herself a really long time ago, and it's been long enough now that she's probably forgotten about it and it'll be a fun surprise. :3:

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

suddenly cats posted:

Wow, that yarn is gorgeous! It looks like spun gold. What is it?

And as far as Christmas gifts go, I'm working on the last piece of a matching cowl and glove set for my mom. She picked out the yarn and pattern herself a really long time ago, and it's been long enough now that she's probably forgotten about it and it'll be a fun surprise. :3:

It's Heartfelt Heritage N Stitch Studio by Nicole in the color Russet. http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/stitch-studio-by-nicole-heartfelt-heritage

It's sold at A. C. Moore. Super Chunky and was hell on my hands.

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009
So has anyone ever used the Denise interchangeables? I need a set with a 16" cord and up to size 15 needles for bulky hats, but also longer cords and smaller needles for shawls. The reviews seem to switch between people who love them and people who say the connectors are crap. Need some input.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

wwjebusdo posted:

So has anyone ever used the Denise interchangeables? I need a set with a 16" cord and up to size 15 needles for bulky hats, but also longer cords and smaller needles for shawls. The reviews seem to switch between people who love them and people who say the connectors are crap. Need some input.

I bought them as a beginner knitting circular set. I like them and really haven't had a problem with the connectors at all. I also have their interchangeable crochet hooks and I think they're great as well.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

wwjebusdo posted:

I've seen a few people that really like them and a lot more that hated them after using them for a while. I'd say see if you can try one of them, though the whole set isn't actually very expensive. The most consistent complaints are that the connectors are annoying and catch on the yarn and the cables are NOT suitable for magic loop.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

wwjebusdo posted:

They are my primary needles, still, even with all the cool new kits. Mostly this is because I keep spending the money for a new kit on yarn.

They are perfectly adequate needles. The 50" cord you can get for a few bucks is great. The connectors are fine, but I did have one cord's pop off sometime in my fourth year of ownership. Superglue fixed it, but customer service said they'd send me a new one if I wanted. The connectors will catch your yarn, but it's something you get used to. Despite that one connector, the set has been great quality.

I can magic loop on them IF I am using worsted weight or above and the ambient temperature is above 70°F. If you magic loop a lot you probably would be better served by another kit. This was all that was out (except that terrible Boye kit) when I started so I made it work.

If I needed to pick another set, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money and I liked plastic needles, I'd go with Denise again. If I had unlimited money I'd probably get an Addi or Knitter's Pride set.

a friendly penguin posted:

That is a lovely hat!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The Denise are really great for DK weight and above yarn. I tend to still use my set for my worsted weight projects and any shawls in fingering weight. They don't magic loop well--if at all--but I never had an issue with connectors in all the years I've had my set. They're really solid workhorse needles--not the best, top end things, but definitely not the worst I've ever used. They get the job done and as long as I don't try to magic loop on them, they don't hurt my wrists/hands.

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009
Awesome y'all! Thanks. I have never been able to figure out magic loop, so not really a worry for me. Now I'm super excited about this whole thing.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010

Fionnoula posted:

I'd love to give that pattern a try too. If you do post it for sale, I would absolutely grab it when I can spare the dosh. I don't think I know anyone who wouldn't be able to make use of that.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Likewise! :)

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Where would be the best place to donate gently used knitting needle sets? I'm saving to pay off my dyakcraft, but to be honest, having one set of needles with spares forces me to be disciplined about projects so I'd like to pay it forward when I can.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Look for day programs for differently abled adults or old folks homes? Also, the hospitals my sisters kid was in had a cadre of old ladies who sat in a room and knitted hats and toys for the babies in the NICU, so I'm sure they'd love some extra needles too. (That's what I can think of right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Seconding looking for places that would take it. We had a women's prison near our city that had a knitting program that our knitting groups regularly tried to give needles and yarn to--they really liked being able to make things for their kids. Some youth centers do similar programs. So check out your local scene to see if there are any projects like that around; it's a good way to pass it forward and give someone a chance to learn something new.