Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I'm actually glad that this thread is pretty much strictly TV chat (yes, I am aware that I have derailed it occasionally myself). I went into what I thought would be the CD equivalent and emerged very confused. No dead dogs though.

Yeah, there's not enough threads where you can just talk about TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Here's a clickhole about 6 US TV shows that started in the UK. They really nail the absurd naming conventions of British shows.
http://www.clickhole.com/article/6-american-television-shows-started-england-1559

I also enjoyed the stuff about how many episodes and how long they are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I also enjoyed the stuff about how many episodes and how long they are.

quote:

If It’s Not Custard, It’s Mustard ran for three seasons. The first season consisted of one 15-minute episode, the second season consisted of no episodes at all, and the third season consisted of two five-minute episodes that aired 15 years apart. Fans of the show also got to enjoy an hour-long Christmas special in which Santa Claus sits silently in the pub and gets drunk alone.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I come away from that really wanting to see the Marvelous Mr. Pemberton and the Christmas special of If its not Custard, its Mustard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa Colbert's guest last night was Smaug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftuij75ebQ

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

This is amazing. Every second of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Here's a clickhole about 6 US TV shows that started in the UK. They really nail the absurd naming conventions of British shows.
http://www.clickhole.com/article/6-american-television-shows-started-england-1559

I wish The Marvelous Mr. Pemberton was a real show, I want to watch that show.

Do a lot of British shows go out of their way to have Christmas episodes or something?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

Yeah, this is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Laughed pretty mightily at We need to go back to the gold standard. Rand Paul 2016!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

raditts posted:

Do a lot of British shows go out of their way to have Christmas episodes or something?

Yes, and I don't really understand what they're going for. Doctor Who does Christmas episodes, and they are occasionally the darkest, bleakest things the show does. Downton Abbey used a Christmas special to kill a main character. It's like they're forced to do them by the Queen herself because she fancies Christmas, and say, "If I have to, I will, but poo poo's gonna get dark."

Sherlock is doing one next year, and I'm worried they're going to off Mycroft or something.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 12, 2014

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Black Mirror is doing a Christmas special and I'm okay with that because it means more Black Mirror.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure Christmas programming is the only thing keeping British families from killing each other on the one day of the year they're forced to spend time together.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

"This is going to be the best Walford Christmas ever!" said the character about to die in a fire.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I shut it off when the dragon started talking keeping it real and drinking your milkshake

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I shut it off when the dragon started talking keeping it real and drinking your milkshake

Then you missed the part where Colbert's audience boos the dragon for telling a Trayvon Martin joke. :lol:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

You didn't miss much. The thing I wanted most out of that interview would have been if they had actually trashed that part of the set and left it that way for the next week.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I would have liked for the Smaug interview to be on the final episode, and ends with Smaug eating Colbert.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

OldSenileGuy posted:

I would have liked for the Smaug interview to be on the final episode, and ends with Smaug eating Colbert.

This is what I wanted too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Even though the movie is releasing next week, I guess they're desperate for big numbers for the midnight release on Wednesday. Must not be tracking great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ravane posted:

This is what I wanted too.

They have a better one! http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/guests/Grimmy

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is anyone watching Marco Polo? It's getting blasted by the reviewers and every story uses the description "game of thrones rip-off"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

Is anyone watching Marco Polo? It's getting blasted by the reviewers and every story uses the description "game of thrones rip-off"
Is there sexposition though?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pentyne posted:

I'm gonna watch it but it sounds closer to the Hemlock Grove end of Netflix quality.

Like some wise old asian guy teaches Marco Polo kung-fu.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks like those lovely TV movies filmed in Romania

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Apparently it's shot really beautifully and ... that might be it.

It's basically a Lost-ripoff circa 2006 or so where they think they (as in the execs in charge of greenlighting this stuff) are ripping off the parts people liked about Lost (the :airquote: crazy convoluted :airquote: mysteries people would spend too long talking about), but then completely got wrong the parts that people liked about Lost (having well written and engaging characters). So basically that explains shows like Flashfoward.

Marco Polo sounds like it's someone's empty rendition of a historical(or historical-fantastical) epic show, except that's all they did and didn't understand the pacing or characterization of Game of Thrones and just decided to just tick off every HBO checkmark (obscene violence, full female frontal nudity) in a rote fashion (yes, GoT falls victim to this too at times via "sexposition", blame HBO there).

All flash, no substance.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I was going to give it a shot despite the dire reviews.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I probably will too, despite all that. At least see how long I can take it, maybe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Looks like those lovely TV movies filmed in Romania

It was shot in Mongolia, Kazakhstan and Italy I think so it was shot in the places where it happened at least.

IRQ posted:

I was going to give it a shot despite the dire reviews.

Yeah if you already sub you're not losing anything but time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sober posted:

Apparently it's shot really beautifully and ... that might be it.

It's basically a Lost-ripoff circa 2006 or so where they think they (as in the execs in charge of greenlighting this stuff) are ripping off the parts people liked about Lost (the :airquote: crazy convoluted :airquote: mysteries people would spend too long talking about), but then completely got wrong the parts that people liked about Lost (having well written and engaging characters). So basically that explains shows like Flashfoward.

Marco Polo sounds like it's someone's empty rendition of a historical(or historical-fantastical) epic show, except that's all they did and didn't understand the pacing or characterization of Game of Thrones and just decided to just tick off every HBO checkmark (obscene violence, full female frontal nudity) in a rote fashion (yes, GoT falls victim to this too at times via "sexposition", blame HBO there).

All flash, no substance.

$90 million worth of flash.

Someone at Netflix will probably lose their job.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's extravagant as gently caress, but Netflix probably has the metrics to back it as well as hedging it does well internationally. It is odd that the marketing for it in NA is almost non-existent though, unlike say OITNB's ad campaigns being almost everywhere.

It was probably too expensive to begin with but they'll probably make their money back, and they know people will watch it despite the quality ("Hey I'm watching a PREMIUM DRAMA on Netflix, I must be good at TV!") or what critics say. Premium dramas are occasionally overrated after having watched enough of them, but not to people who maybe only take 2 or 3 in a year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Or maybe the critics are wrong like they were wrong about Bojack v:unsmith:v

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well we don't live in video game land, so people don't really get all up in arms when a critic says "I don't particularly like it" and someone else does.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, at least now that there are no more Community threads.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

STAC Goat posted:

Am I missing a joke?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597051

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

STAC Goat posted:

You'll never escape these threads.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sober posted:

Well we don't live in video game land, so people don't really get all up in arms when a critic says "I don't particularly like it" and someone else does.

TV doesn't seem to lend itself to critics in the way that other media does. Most critic reviews of new shows are based on a few episodes or even just the pilot, if you had people review a movie based on the first 10 minutes or a game by the first level or an entire album off the first track they'd be rightfully laughed at but with TV reviews it's the norm.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

TV critics will occasionally look back on the season and reevaluate it as a whole or review older shows on a re-watch. But anyways, not the point I was trying to make but I see your points too.

The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't and shouldn't ultimately matter what a critic says anyway, they don't have the final word on anything, not pilot reviews or episode reviews, or even what movie critics have to say on movies. Plus impressions from pilots can make or break a show. I better stop myself before I start insulting gamers because they literally will get mad if a critic does not fall in line with a review of a game they were already hyped up by.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Or if they like a game too much that they decided was crap.

Basically game critics are in a horrible lose lose situation.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You guys spend like 5 pages bitching about awards show nominations while simultaneously declaring that you don't care and award shows are irrelevant anyways and then you turn around and complain about how other people care too much about what critics think :nallears:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

I'm gonna watch it but it sounds closer to the Hemlock Grove end of Netflix quality.

Like some wise old asian guy teaches Marco Polo kung-fu.

It's higher quality than Hemlock Grove.

But yeah an old asian guy does teach Marco Polo kung-fu.

I dunno my expectations were so low the show seems decent. I liked the inclusion of the Hashshashin. Although they just throw in random kung fu fights just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
After viewing the first episode...I'm gonna wait on Polo. If it turns out to be bitchin' in later episodes I'll check it out but I got unwatched Strike Back, Spartacus and The Americans to catch.

• Locked thread