Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

There is a Legend of Korra video game set in Republic City that just came out like 2 months ago...

That doesn't really count for what he means since it's little more than a backdrop. And not even a particularly good-looking one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Genocyber posted:

That doesn't really count for what he means since it's little more than a backdrop. And not even a particularly good-looking one.

Airbending owns though. It's pretty fun, but don't expect longevity out of it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd kinda like to see Korra kick Kuvira's rear end without using the Avatar state at all but I know that's just not gonna happen.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Airbending owns though. It's pretty fun, but don't expect longevity out of it.

I'm not saying the game is bad. And in terms of fun, I'd say it's better than a lot of AAA games, despite being a budget-title, thanks to Platinum remaining one of the best devs. But it's still clearly a budget title, and one of the resulting things is that the areas just look kind of ugly. Like the textures used for the background buildings are lower res and look really blurry and ugly if you're playing at 1080p.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What would be absolutely hilarious and awesome is if it looped back to the beginning and Korra used airbending to get past Kuvira's defenses and close in to shut her down with chi-blocker moves. :ironicat:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

I'd kinda like to see Korra kick Kuvira's rear end without using the Avatar state at all but I know that's just not gonna happen.

Actually, I think it's very likely! The makers know very well how much of a cop-out the Avatar state is - nobody wants Korra to be slapped around until she succeeds at pushing the Win button. Even during the first series, the focus of the battle wasn't if Aang was going to win against Ozai. We're definitely going to see the Avatar state during the finale, but I doubt it's the only way Korra would win.

I totally expect some kind of showdown where Kuvira, being :smug: incarnate, uses exactly that as a taunt - that Korra could ONLY win with Avatar state, and even then she'd be too much of a weakling. Cue epic curbstomp. And then, some over threat appears; maybe Kuvira gets bailed out, a superweapon appears, time for Avatar state. Or maybe Batman has to metalbend a giant bomb into the ocean to save everyone. :v: In any case, I'm sure Avatar state will be the final thing to happen, but NOT the trump card for the inevitable duel.

Believe it or not, I have enough faith in this show to expect they'll avoid that pitfall...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I really like the show and all but the protagonists have basically won via Deus ex Machina in every season since the beginning of ATLA so I'm not hugely hopeful they'll avoid that again.

Well ok, that didn't happen in Earth because Aang and crew just outright lost. And it didn't happen in Change, but Korra didn't actually resolve that conflict. The Avatar always seems to either lose or get bailed out by something at the last minute.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I really like the show and all but the protagonists have basically won via Deus ex Machina in every season since the beginning of ATLA so I'm not hugely hopeful they'll avoid that again.

Well ok, that didn't happen in Earth because Aang and crew just outright lost. And it didn't happen in Change, but Korra didn't actually resolve that conflict. The Avatar always seems to either lose or get bailed out by something at the last minute.

To be fair Aang could've cleanly killed Ozai at the end of the third book and chose not to.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah but the moral thing to do was to permanently mutilate his soul.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

There is a Legend of Korra video game set in Republic City that just came out like 2 months ago...

Yeah, but it sucks. More to the point, I don't really want to play as Korra & Co. I love Korra, but I really just want to roll my own character and mess around in the city.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, but it sucks

Nah, it's actually quite good. It's not as good as Platinum's full-cost efforts but it's one of the better-playing licensed games on the market.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I just want to see all the old people, red lotus, and white lotus team up like white lotus did at the end of Last Airbender

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

but it's one of the better-playing licensed games on the market.

You realize how little this is saying, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

You realize how little this is saying, right?

Fine. It's one of the better brawlers on the market too, especially for the price tag. :colbert: It's a weak Platinum game but a weak Platinum game is still better than a lot of other games.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
As we all know, unfortunately there are only two weeks left

of Makani comics

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

:agreed:

But for real, Monster and 21st Century Boys are both fantastic and Legend of Galactic Heroes is so good that its thread in ADTRW is ten years old and the oldest active thread on SA, I believe.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BrianWilly posted:

As we all know, unfortunately there are only two weeks left of Makani comics

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 11, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Toph is a terrible parent and yet it fits her character so well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

As we all know, unfortunately there are only two weeks left

of Makani comics

Holy cow

"makanidotdot posted:

uh it's that timon and pumbaa part in the lion king

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
These comics aren't all about Toph though:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

God bless Rich Evans.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Turns out the real bad guy at the end of the season is going to be... the Showbiz Pizza bear.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Holy poo poo.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
New ep here.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I could honestly see Lin getting drunk and stalking Tenzin after they had broken up much to Pema's dismay just out of sheer loneliness.

:stalker:
Who's there? I'll call the police!
:cop: The police? I AM THE POLICE! :barf:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That right there was the smartest, most badass thing Korra has ever done.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That right there was the smartest, most badass thing Korra has ever done.

Given the Senate revelations this week, though, I did get a bit uncomfortable about Korra and the airbenders engaging in extraordinary rendition and then gearing up for some enhanced interrogation techniques, even if the situation was resolved without physical violence.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Given the Senate revelations this week, though, I did get a bit uncomfortable about Korra and the airbenders engaging in extraordinary rendition and then gearing up for some enhanced interrogation techniques, even if the situation was resolved without physical violence.

Is a bit "Too soon" given the last few days

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
Can I just say that I can not decide which bit of this episode is my favorite, Prince Wu shaping up to be a good leader who cares about his people or Varrick and Zhu Li being absolutely adorable.

There were other bits to the episode, but I think we all know they are secondary.

Edit: Saw this elsewhere, thought it needed due to the episode finally unleashing Tenzin in Airbender tights on us.

Illuen fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 12, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

"Sir, the Earth Empire's armies are approaching! What shall we do?"

"Lay out three lines of barbed wire which don't even cover this field, and then array our men behind there in closed ranks. If there's one thing earth attacks are bad at, it's striking masses of men clustered together."

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I want to say good things about the episode. Because, despite the unfortunate timing, it was a good episode. But at the same time it's not a good feeling how the extremely original and colourful world of ATLA - hell, even of the first seasons of Korra - converged to the drab greyness/brown/olive and, well, a really giant mecha.

Oh, well. At least they hadn't gotten to the vinephones yet.

It feels like my previous impression: it's good, but I'm also happy it's coming to an end.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Why didn't they try to pull a strategically placed cord when mecha was approaching so it would fall down?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
This would be Star Wars.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
That giant mecha is basically a Metal Gear.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Let me reiterate my sadness if Korra turns out to be the last Avatar. :cry:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Kuvira straight up murdered the gently caress out of those dudes in the outpost with a fuckoff giant laser beam.

Her redemption arc is gonna be problematic...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Slime posted:

That giant mecha is basically a Metal Gear.

I loving called it.

havenwaters posted:

Kuvira has to make something to hold and fire the spirit nukes. I'm thinking metal gear.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay I like Asami but goddamn at this point even Zhu Li has a more complete story arc than she does. :v:

And goddamn that was intense. :haw:

Only 40-ish minutes of this whole series left. Goddamn. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Looks like everyone is a pawn to Kuvira.

• Locked thread