Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well, they use the weights to identify that there were additional agents using thermoptic camo, actually. The door stays open as if someone was following and the weight is too much for just two agents even if they were fully cyberized.

Love that movie/sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LeJackal posted:

Do you have a link? I always like to hear stories about failures being compounded by inept idiots.

It's this Vanity Fair piece, which is basically a pro-click.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/06/brad-pitt-world-war-z-drama

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DrVenkman posted:

It's this Vanity Fair piece, which is basically a pro-click.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/06/brad-pitt-world-war-z-drama

quote:

“There is no better metaphor than the walking dead as, sort of, the unconscious,” said Forster in a January interview. Society is numb to overpopulation and consumerism, issues he said could be explored thematically with mindless zombies. “In that sense I found you have an incredible opportunity to make a blockbuster movie that has some sort of substance.”

Isn't this literally what Romero's series was?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

That's literally what zombies have always been about. Unless you are a militia/survivalist type in which case they are black people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe in World War Z 2, humans can be the reeeeeal monsters, man.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Forgall posted:

That's literally what zombies have always been about. Unless you are a militia/survivalist type in which case they are black people.

Zombies before Romero were about slaves.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Zombies before Romero were about slaves.

True facts. I Walked with a Zombie is kind of amazing, because it's a horror film from the 40's that essentially explores that very idea. That is, mythological zombies as a metaphor for racialized disempowerment under imperialism. It's surprisingly coherent as a postcolonial argument, for a ~70 year old movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xealot posted:

True facts. I Walked with a Zombie is kind of amazing, because it's a horror film from the 40's that essentially explores that very idea. That is, mythological zombies as a metaphor for racialized disempowerment under imperialism. It's surprisingly coherent as a postcolonial argument, for a ~70 year old movie.

White Zombie is super dope too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe in World War Z 2, humans can be the reeeeeal monsters, man.

World War Y, in which a new virus turns people into Yetis

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Planet of the Apes Dogs

bowser fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 10, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

World War Y, in which a new virus turns people into Yetis
World War W(endigo).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bowser posted:

Planet of the Apes Dogs

A army of dogs movie needs them to fight a bear and the lead dog turn into a shooting star and kill it.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Rirse posted:

A army of dogs movie needs them to fight a bear and the lead dog turn into a shooting star and kill it.

I've seen movies where dogs and bears fight but the shooting star thing is new to me. :psyduck:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rahonavis posted:

I've seen movies where dogs and bears fight but the shooting star thing is new to me. :psyduck:

it's an anime

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bowser posted:

Planet of the Apes Dogs

Why is the tagline not "Every Dog Has It's Day?"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm really excited about what I can only assume will be a doc about all the Duffs I don't know. There's Hilary...there's Haylie...

You'll have to try super hard to make me not think Mae Whitman is cute as heck. :smith:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shoehead posted:

You'll have to try super hard to make me not think Mae Whitman is cute as heck. :smith:

Chances are there will be glasses and ponytails involved.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Madkal posted:

Chances are there will be glasses and ponytails involved.

She'll have paint on her overalls!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waffleman_ posted:

I've actually heard people say that Romero made up that Dawn of the Dead was a commentary on consumerism years after it was released to make it seem like a more "important" and "deep" film. Those people are idiots of course.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I've actually heard people say that Romero made up that Dawn of the Dead was a commentary on consumerism years after it was released to make it seem like a more "important" and "deep" film. Those people are idiots of course.

There's actually a lot of commentary on consumerism, but the best on I can think of is the one scene where Stephen is watching the bikers ransack the mall, saying that the mall "is ours" to himself before attacking them, when it's clear that the bikers can not obviously take most of the goods in the mall. There's literally more than enough in the mall for the three of them and he can't stand the bikers getting away with it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Some posters I've come across recently.

I wish this were a policy for every movie.

I think this scene is maybe two minutes in an incredibly moving and sad 2-and-a-half-hour film.

When holiday-themed newspaper ads for movies go too far.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

bowser posted:

Planet of the Apes Dogs

THANK YOU WHITE GOD

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Robert Denby posted:

I think this scene is maybe two minutes in an incredibly moving and sad 2-and-a-half-hour film.

When holiday-themed newspaper ads for movies go too far.

Oh my god I want that Pulp Fiction clipping as a poster so bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wow, that Ikiru poster. Not exactly what I would've expected. Did they just see "Japanese film" and think "Oh! Mondo Cane!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Robert Denby posted:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

This seems more like it's Hitchcock riffing on William Castle and other schlockster tactics and that's great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Robert Denby posted:

IIRC, this was actually a thing in the early days of cinema. They would have a series of things that they would show and you just paid your admission for the cinema to see whatever they had. So you could come in on the middle of a film and then sit down and watch the end, then a short and a news reel and another film and then watch the beginning of the movie that you missed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Robert Denby posted:

Hitchcock was loving serious about making sure people enjoyed Psycho right. Here's Cracked talking about it, but to summarize: Hitchcock bought every single copy of the original novel he could to ensure nobody was spoiled by it, didn't even produce a trailer, and had a recording played after the movie of himself telling the audience not to spoil the whole thing to their friends.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Not only that, he barred critics from seeing it because he didn't want the ending spoiled its first week of release.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Hitchcock was loving serious about making sure people enjoyed Psycho right. Here's Cracked talking about it, but to summarize: Hitchcock bought every single copy of the original novel he could to ensure nobody was spoiled by it, didn't even produce a trailer, and had a recording played after the movie of himself telling the audience not to spoil the whole thing to their friends.

Say what? He not only produced a trailer, but hosts it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJQfFQ40lI

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bathroom.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Young Freud posted:

There's actually a lot of commentary on consumerism, but the best on I can think of is the one scene where Stephen is watching the bikers ransack the mall, saying that the mall "is ours" to himself before attacking them, when it's clear that the bikers can not obviously take most of the goods in the mall. There's literally more than enough in the mall for the three of them and he can't stand the bikers getting away with it.

The bikers took all the pies.
And that's terrible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Young Freud posted:

Say what? He not only produced a trailer, but hosts it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJQfFQ40lI

Right, my bad, but it's certianly not a 'typical' trailer. It doesn't tell you anything about the movie's story at all.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

At least she's in the film.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shoehead posted:

.... her?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rude.

He's right, egg's ok.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What? Is she funny or something?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC, this was actually a thing in the early days of cinema. They would have a series of things that they would show and you just paid your admission for the cinema to see whatever they had. So you could come in on the middle of a film and then sit down and watch the end, then a short and a news reel and another film and then watch the beginning of the movie that you missed.

Happens with double features in the Philippines and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened in other countries as well. Quite often co-workers would take me to see a movie and we would typically just buy a ticket and go in without looking at the time. Watch however much of the first film was left, watch the secound film, then the rest of the first film again.

Its actually pretty enjoyable way to watch some films, and its nice getting that little bit of closure form the first film at the end of it all.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jason Alexander has the worst agent on Planet Earth.