Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Well he had the cartoon actor in the Rocksteady games, which the Origins team didn't use because they didn't seem to reuse a bunch of people, and then the cartoon VA died. Unless AC and AA had different VAs. It's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

ToastyPotato posted:

Well he had the cartoon actor in the Rocksteady games, which the Origins team didn't use because they didn't seem to reuse a bunch of people, and then the cartoon VA died.

Aww he did? I knew Alfred (Efrem Zimbalist Jr.) did not long ago... Didn't know ol' Cap Gordon did as well.

ed: huh, and not even that long ago. That sucks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Which cartoon? I'm pretty sure that wasn't the guy from TAS.

And yeah, I think AA and AC had different VAs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ToastyPotato posted:

Well he had the cartoon actor in the Rocksteady games

Tom Kane voiced Gordon in Asylum, then David Kaye did City, and Michael Gough did Origins. Bob Hastings was the voice on the animated series. The only cartoon actors to do the Arkham games were Conroy, Hamill and Arleen Sorkin.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hah. I like how the Penguins goons are a bit smarter than normal. Penguin offers $100,000 to whomever kills Batman and the guy on the radio with him says it was just $50,000.

The best thing about beating up Penguin's shark is that it never tries to kill you after you beat Grundy, even if you fall into the water. :allears:

Also, those things that Grundy sends out aren't worms. They're giant maggots. Gross, I know.

Timby posted:

The only cartoon actors to do the Arkham games were Conroy, Hamill and Arleen Sorkin.

There's also Tara Strong, though she played Batgirl in The New Batman Adventures, not Harley Quinn

There were a few others in Origins, though I'll neglect to mention who those are until that LP starts.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 26, 2014

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

All this emphasis on Ace CHemicals, I can't see anyway they would avoid Mistuh Jay showing up.
"Oh, Batsss, this was where we began, remember?"

It also seems to gave grown out over the bay, but w/e

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Trickjaw posted:

It also seems to gave grown out over the bay, but w/e

I was wondering that. Like, have the icecaps melted in this game or something or is Gotham slowly sinking into the sea?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Coulda been another ace facility in the section of Gotham not seen in AC.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

That reminds me of something I've been wondering - is Gotham going to be redesigned in AK? Or will it actually feature most of the Arkham City area, with basically the same recognisable buildings and geography?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

BreakAtmo posted:

That reminds me of something I've been wondering - is Gotham going to be redesigned in AK? Or will it actually feature most of the Arkham City area, with basically the same recognisable buildings and geography?

The devs confirmed they will be redesigning the city- there's no way to make the vehicle stuff work on the street level as it currently exists.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Coulda been another ace facility in the section of Gotham not seen in AC.

They say that the Ace building in City is the admin building, so this is almost certainly a different place.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

It's kind of funny and also a tiny bit sad that there isn't a single presentation of Gotham in its entire history that has managed to maintain a singular geographical design across more than one outing.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

The devs confirmed they will be redesigning the city- there's no way to make the vehicle stuff work on the street level as it currently exists.

But does that mean a complete and total redesign? I remember hearing the same thing, but I thought they just needed to embiggen the streets. I hope that doesn't extend to them making the Arkham City area completely unrecognisable.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

It's kind of funny and also a tiny bit sad that there isn't a single presentation of Gotham in its entire history that has managed to maintain a singular geographical design across more than one outing.

I kind of like that fact. In fact, I never want to see a complete, defined Gotham. The city should always be a nebulous thing with enough distinguishing features that we know it's Gotham, but still able to adapt to whatever story the writers are going with. Need a dockyard? Gotham's got one. It's also got high-rises, slums, zoos, parks, museums, science labs, cathedrals, warehouses, office buildings, preserved historical structures from the 1700s, subways, monorails, dirigibles, trainyards, etc. I love the fact that Gotham can be whatever kind of city the story needs.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, Gotham isn't streamlined or clean, that's Metropolis. Gotham is twisted and grotesque, with endless layers of the detritus of civilization built on top of one another. I could totally buy Wonder City being simply loving buried beneath other stuff over the years; like how Chicago is supposed to have an entire undercity, but Gotham actually would. It is every awful urban legend of every city in the world.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, Gotham isn't streamlined or clean, that's Metropolis. Gotham is twisted and grotesque, with endless layers of the detritus of civilization built on top of one another. I could totally buy Wonder City being simply loving buried beneath other stuff over the years; like how Chicago is supposed to have an entire undercity, but Gotham actually would. It is every awful urban legend of every city in the world.

New York actually has an entire section of city underground, that's visible from a few of the old subway lines that run under the Lower East Side, and Chinatown. It's sorta crazy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't know if anyone mentioned it in the thread, but it's a real cute reference that Poison Ivy is in a store called Baudelaire's. Les Fleurs du Mal, indeed.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 1, 2014

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Canemacar posted:

I kind of like that fact. In fact, I never want to see a complete, defined Gotham. The city should always be a nebulous thing with enough distinguishing features that we know it's Gotham, but still able to adapt to whatever story the writers are going with. Need a dockyard? Gotham's got one. It's also got high-rises, slums, zoos, parks, museums, science labs, cathedrals, warehouses, office buildings, preserved historical structures from the 1700s, subways, monorails, dirigibles, trainyards, etc. I love the fact that Gotham can be whatever kind of city the story needs.

Gotham isn't the city the people want, its the city the story writers need.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

After finishing Arkham Asylum, I moved on to Origins, and I have a question.
Can anyone tell me where should I do the "Worst Nightmare" challenges? I'm not too far in the story yet, just doing the combat challenges (and stuck with the "20 critical counter" one).

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

nekoxid posted:

Can anyone tell me where should I do the "Worst Nightmare" challenges? I'm not too far in the story yet, just doing the combat challenges (and stuck with the "20 critical counter" one).

Googling a guide is probably the best idea.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

nekoxid posted:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You can do it in one, but it really really REALLY requires a lot of restarting.

Rank 1: Done automatically as a part of the first Enigma tower.

Rank 2: GCPD Roof.

Rank 3: Final Offer Theater.

Rank 4: Outside of the Steel Mill where you head to save Black Mask later.

Rank 5: GCPD Roof.

Rank 6: Gotham Merchant's Bank.

Rank 7: Drug Lab.

Rank 8: Gotham Royal Hotel Lobby.

Rank 9: Gotham Royal Hotel Pool Room.

Rank 10: Church (Black Mask Sidequest)

Rank 11: Outside of the Steel Mill.

Rank 12: Gotham Merchant's Bank (Deadshot).

Rank 13: Final Offer Deck.

Rank 14: Gotham Pioneer's Bridge (Second Predator Area - First Time [Four thugs w/ Hostage Train car]).

Rank 15: Blackgate Nexus.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Ah thank you! That's the one I remembered seeing here, but I couldn't find it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Seeing the latest Arkham Knight Trailer featuring the Batmobile has me dreading the vehicle combat in that game. I like the idea of incorporating the Batmobile into the traversal and mobility but... loving tank mode? Come on...

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So long as you're not railroaded into using tank mode too often, I won't mind. Using the Batmobile for traversal and gliding does look way more fun though.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

So long as you're not railroaded into using tank mode too often, I won't mind. Using the Batmobile for traversal and gliding does look way more fun though.

I imagine it'll be part of the tutorial, plus a few forced segments, if only so Rocksteady can show it off. Probably a vehicular boss fight as well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
We need another Elecutioner style fight where a goon mouths off to Batman while he's in tank mode.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

We need another Elecutioner style fight where a goon mouths off to Batman while he's in tank mode.
Rubber tread. Honest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TVTropes posted:

The hilarious thing about the trailer is how he's using the Batmobile to fight Scarecrow this time. In the first game he was sneaking away from a giant Scarecrow and killing skeletons, but it was just a hallucination and what he was really doing was running around in circles in the Asylum's hallways and beating the stuffing out of random thugs.

Which of course means that this time Batman's going to be driving around Gotham's streets in what is essentially a tricked out tank under the influence of some kind of drug, firing cannons at random things that spook him. That's hysterical.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For anyone interested the Arkham Knight will have his story told on an upcoming digital comic that serves as the bridge between Arkham City and Arkham Knight

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Whuh-oh. The tie-in comics have always been bar none the worst part of the series.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Which one was it where that snow villain got her tits out a lot and Deadshot had sex with Harlequin? I just, wah. :psyduck:

Origins being detached from all that doesn't seem so bad.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

Which one was it where that snow villain got her tits out a lot and Deadshot had sex with Harlequin? I just, wah. :psyduck:

Origins being detached from all that doesn't seem so bad.

That wasn't a comic, that was the animated movie whose name I can't even remember because Jesus Christ.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Crappy Jack posted:

That wasn't a comic, that was the animated movie whose name I can't even remember because Jesus Christ.

Batman: Assault on Arkham

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Whuh-oh. The tie-in comics have always been bar none the worst part of the series.

How so? The Arkham Asylum comic was alright, as were the prequels to Arkham City that showed how Strange set up Arkham City and got the previous mayor out of office.

I also found the Arkham Unhinged comics pretty neat, even though most of them would be hard-pressed to be fit into the timeline canonically.

poptart_fairy posted:

That would be Assault on Arkham. I liked that Deadshot was made a lot better in that film than he is in the games, but everything else was pretty meh.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dystram posted:

Batman: Assault on Arkham

Oh, it was an assault, alright.

Alternatively, it puts the rear end in Assault on Arkham.

The movie is not very good, is what I'm trying to say.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

AoA basically had dick all to do with the Arkham games. I don't even know what it was meant to capitalize on coming out a year after Origins and several months before Knight. I guess Knight was delayed and perhaps they didn't plan for that?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh, it was an assault, alright.

Alternatively, it puts the rear end in Assault on Arkham.

The movie is not very good, is what I'm trying to say.

Yeah it was pretty bad. Lots of eye-rollingly bad attempts at sexual content and plenty of blood and guts in an attempt to be "mature". It also felt like the writers had an axe to grind about Deadshot. Just about the only character he doesn't one up to show how totally badass and cool he is was Batman himself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I will admit that I did like how Deadshot was made "cooler", but that scene where he walks up to the Joker and says he's going to punch him in the throat was eye-rollingly action movie-esque for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/batman-complete-bundle/

In case you don't already have 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Assault on Arkham had a fairly neat portrayal of Batman. He just showed up at random times in the middle of crimes, usually without saying anything. Did a good job of making it obvious why crooks are always afraid that Batman will show up. He can't be everywhere, but he knows about your crime and he will find you.

Everything else was pretty bad.

• Locked thread