Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Burt Buckle posted:

Or people will lose interest when he sucks and not watch his ppv.

But CM Punk is targeting WWE fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
He's going to face Bob Johnson, purple belt in Tae-Bo. They'll give him every possible chance to succeed

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm not saying Punk is going to lose his first fight, I'm just saying that the mass appeal is going to be "oh man I want to see what Punk does in UFC"

If he wins, great. He might draw again, or people might say "ok I saw that, back to WWE now". It's hard to say.

Brock was always a draw, but Brock was also a huge monster which is a draw in and of itself. Him coming from WWE and then winning the title was icing on the cake. Punk won't be winning any titles to extend his drawing ability beyond the first freakshow appeal fight.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

But CM Punk is targeting WWE fans.

As a WWE fan, if CM Punk were to be on free TV, I'd watch his fight. If he gets destroyed then I'm not going to pay money to watch him get beat up when I just saw him get beat up on free TV.

But if he debuts on PPV which he obviously will, I will definitely buy that PPV. I don't think a few free matches will pique anybody's interest but a few rear end kickings on free TV would kill interest. Maybe my position is the minority amongst WWE fans.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Burt Buckle posted:

As a WWE fan, if CM Punk were to be on free TV, I'd watch his fight. If he gets destroyed then I'm not going to pay money to watch him get beat up when I just saw him get beat up on free TV.

I don't think Dogg was saying Punk would lose.

I think he was saying the fights would be bad, but Punk would win because he's fighting really bad fighters, tricking people into thinking he's not poo poo.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Right but the first ppv is the only one you have any guarantee that people will have unrealistic expectations of him. Even if he wins his first fight but looks boring as poo poo in doing so you're going to piss away money later on because it'll turn off fans. It's promoting 101, you make your audience pay for your draws, and for his first fight at least he's a draw. You can later book him on whatever you want, but that first PPV is the one that will have the most chance of drawing fans, particularly if you promote it strongly.

Great White Hope posted:

I don't think Dogg was saying Punk would lose.

I think he was saying the fights would be bad, but Punk would win because he's fighting really bad fighters, tricking people into thinking he's not poo poo.

Right but if you give it away for free what incentive do I have to pay to watch it again later. A guy only has one debut fight.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
They're going to hand pick his opponent to such a hilarious degree that if he loses he might just want to move to Sealand

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The bigger risk isn't losing his fight, it's going to be if he takes a three round boring decision or just looks poo poo in winning.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

A guy only has one debut fight.

Is this a thing people really care about

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Yes, people do care about debut fights of people with hype. Or am I misreading what you're saying?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It is when it comes down to the audience you're drawing not being UFC fans but Punk fans. Sure some of them will convert, but many won't. Curiousity only lasts as long as theres any mystique about him, and there's just one chance to make that first impression. He's never going to be hotter than in his first fight, after the cat is out of the bag about his skill level the returns are going to diminish.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Not putting Punk on PPV would be a mistake and his first fight's already going to be on PPV per Punk himself (which was likely a factor in negotiations anyhow) so there's no point arguing about whether it's going to happen.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
It's like that thing with the marshmallow where you can have one now, or 2 in a minute, or 3 in 2 minutes or whatever. It might be nice to get that immediate boost but if you play it smart you can get a much bigger payoff down the road.

Or he gets waxed by some nobody who spent 2 years of middle school wrestling

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I don't want anything else but that Jason David Frank fight, barring something out of left field. I can't quit thinking about Former WWE Champ and Former Green Ranger in a shoot fight and my eleventeen year old inner child is standing in front of the TV doing spin kicks while watching.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's like that thing with the marshmallow where you can have one now, or 2 in a minute, or 3 in 2 minutes or whatever. It might be nice to get that immediate boost but if you play it smart you can get a much bigger payoff down the road.

A marshmallow is the best CM Punk analogy posted yet in this thread.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Most likely he gets waxed by some nobody who spent 2 years of middle school wrestling regardless so either you get CM Punk getting waxed by some nobody and get a decent ratings boost for some prelims or get a decent PPV boost, it's pretty clear which is the better business decision.

And if Punk wins? Then you just keep getting bumps for PPV. There's literally no reason to put Punk on free TV unless Fox offered them compensation for it.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

:speculate:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

beggar posted:

I don't want anything else but that Jason David Frank fight, barring something out of left field. I can't quit thinking about Former WWE Champ and Former Green Ranger in a shoot fight and my eleventeen year old inner child is standing in front of the TV doing spin kicks while watching.

This fight would never get sanctioned.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC dug up some dude from a UFC Gym. I'm talking about a guy who would be a featherweight if he was in shape, but is instead 190 pounds and middle aged with no combat sports background. They'll offer him a free lifetime membership or whatever and pay him 5/5.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC dug up some dude from a UFC Gym. I'm talking about a guy who would be a featherweight if he was in shape, but is instead 190 pounds and middle aged with no combat sports background. They'll offer him a free lifetime membership or whatever and pay him 5/5.

the thing is UFC has to be smart with the other guy the get to fight CM Punk because let's say he wins because MMA goes like that sometimes, now all of a sudden they have a bum who has a huge win but has to fight a real UFC fighter unless they sign some other 0-0 guy, which would require another 0-0 guy if he loses that, and so on and so on until the madness ends.

So that's why I'm thinking they're going to try to find whatever bum they can that has some sort of affiliation to an actual UFC fighter, so just incase Punk loses they have some way to keep that guy going. Like grab whatever Machida brother is the worst at the sport so in case he wins UFC can still do something with him for a little while and save the embarrassment.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Bubba Smith posted:

the thing is UFC has to be smart with the other guy the get to fight CM Punk because let's say he wins because MMA goes like that sometimes, now all of a sudden they have a bum who has a huge win but has to fight a real UFC fighter unless they sign some other 0-0 guy, which would require another 0-0 guy if he loses that, and so on and so on until the madness ends.

So that's why I'm thinking they're going to try to find whatever bum they can that has some sort of affiliation to an actual UFC fighter, so just incase Punk loses they have some way to keep that guy going. Like grab whatever Machida brother is the worst at the sport so in case he wins UFC can still do something with him for a little while and save the embarrassment.

Or maybe they'll just shrug their shoulders, throw the bum with 1 win in with some other schlub and move onto their next quick fix freakshow fight to pop a buyrate.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
This thread is proof that there are a lot of wrestling nerds who don't pay any attention to MMA or have a clue about fighting on any level who are happy to drop 50 bucks to watch a guy who was mean to them at a Subway once get beaten up, and they aren't going to give that away for free.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Or maybe they'll just shrug their shoulders, throw the bum with 1 win in with some other schlub and move onto their next quick fix freakshow fight to pop a buyrate.

Why would they do that when they now have a guy who they can promote as DEFEATER OF NOTED GUY AND PERSON CM PUNK

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I'd put something else in there other than person and guy but he literally has no accomplishments

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

triplexpac posted:

yeah but that's the point, that next schlub couldn't be a real fighter either or the guy who just beat Punk would be demolished in his sted. Even if you throw him in against the worst UFC fighter at 185 which looks to be Guilherme Vasconcelos, he's 3-2 in pro fights, 3-0 in amateur, and has been training jiu jitsu and kickboxing for 12 years. A guy who has just been taking classes at a UFC gym for a few months would be hosed and his death would make UFC's experiment with Punk look worse.

It works out cleanly for UFC if they sign a terrible fighter and Punk beats him so they can release him immediately, but if he wins that gets tricky.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I think people are thinking too hard about this. It's just UFC putting a match out there to desperately try to get people like me to watch their shows again. Whether Punk wins or loses is irrelevant, neither he or his opponent is going to be a future fixture in the UFC.

It's not like someone beating Punk is going to be some career making thing. It doesn't need to be cherished and given to someone who is worthy. It's just a goofy match they're throwing on PPV.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I bet whoever they get is getting some Kimbo vs Petruzelli style pep talk from Dana before he goes out with such instructions as "don't try to hit him" and also "don't try to grapple him". The fight will be Legally Not A Work is my point.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I just figured it's Punk doing a short ring stint to legitimize the 35 year announcing career that'll surely follow.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Efexeye posted:

I just figured it's Punk doing a short ring stint to legitimize the 35 year announcing career that'll surely follow.

"Hey Punk remember that time you got knocked out in 15 seconds in your one-and-only MMA fight?"

"No I don't Chael but I've watched the tapes and it's proof that anything can happen here in the UFC!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Not that Punk is or ever will be near the skills of Brock Lesnar, but I am reminded of how a good chunk of people were yelling for Brock to lose the duration of his MMA career because he was a Fake Wrestle Guy. Punk already has that going for him in that he'll draw in people who are curious and people who just want the Fake Wrestle Guy to get his head kicked off. Win win.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Brock Lesnar actually had a lot of credentials though, people just didn't like that he was thrown right into the thick of it without working his way up.

Or maybe that's just what I remember, who knows.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'd put something else in there other than person and guy but he literally has no accomplishments

I wouldn't call two 90-minute time-limit draws with Samoa Joe and a Youtube series critiquing people's grammar as being "no accomplishments"

Bruce Buffer just has to think outside the box a little

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Bubba Smith posted:

Like grab whatever Machida brother is the worst at the sport so in case he wins UFC can still do something with him for a little while and save the embarrassment.

any machida brother would annihilate him. maybe a serra brother would be more fair...no, probably not still

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Can't wait for rabid CM Punk fans to show up at UFC shows and chant for him during other people's matches. :jerkbag:

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Can Jason Guida make middlhahahahaha.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Keg posted:

This thread is proof that there are a lot of wrestling nerds who don't pay any attention to MMA or have a clue about fighting on any level who are happy to drop 50 bucks to watch a guy who was mean to them at a Subway once get beaten up, and they aren't going to give that away for free.

Also it seems like some of them think his fights are gonna be fake.

projecthalaxy posted:

I bet whoever they get is getting some Kimbo vs Petruzelli style pep talk from Dana before he goes out with such instructions as "don't try to hit him" and also "don't try to grapple him". The fight will be Legally Not A Work is my point.

Lmao you think they'll have a guy take a dive instead of hand picking a garbage man?

Skip My Posts fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 12, 2014

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Skip My Posts posted:

Also it seems like some of them think his fights are gonna be fake

It's going to be really good when a collegiate wrestler lays on top of Punk for 15 minutes in a row

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Punk is so entertaining, if UFC just had fixed, pre-determined outcomes I really feel like he could shine.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Skip My Posts posted:

Lmao you think they'll have a guy take a dive instead of hand picking a garbage man?

Of course not. I'm saying they will have the garbage man take a dive. Not provably, though. A deniable dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

projecthalaxy posted:

Of course not. I'm saying they will have the garbage man take a dive. Not provably, though. A deniable dive.

Sounds retarded

• Locked thread