Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
I was watching the episode and I couldn't help but wonder, why don't Korra and Bolin or any of the earth benders in the Republic army collapse the ground under the robots feet. The robot would fall and that would kill Kuvira pretty quick. Even if she escaped it would put the robot out of commission. But then again I am always asking why don't earthbenders just bury mechatanks. Stop throwing rocks and start making sink holes, those aren't the most agile robots ever dreamt up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Hauldren Collider posted:

The mech is stupid. They should have just put it on a ship. You know, the thing people normally do when they have to move something really big really far.

It just needs to be a little less ... tall. It looks super tip-able. I mean she could probably get up, but it would take her some time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

TheModernAmerican posted:

Who was that guy who didn't want to see a giant mecha battle?

That thing is really big, like, so big it's funny looking.

That was me.

I'm still ok with it as long as Korra doesn't turn into a giant blue spirit and have a kaiju battle like in season 2.

Writh posted:

I was watching the episode and I couldn't help but wonder, why don't Korra and Bolin or any of the earth benders in the Republic army collapse the ground under the robots feet. The robot would fall and that would kill Kuvira pretty quick. Even if she escaped it would put the robot out of commission. But then again I am always asking why don't earthbenders just bury mechatanks. Stop throwing rocks and start making sink holes, those aren't the most agile robots ever dreamt up.

Kuvira's army is full of earthbenders that could presumably prevent that from happening.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's be pretty rad if the Colossus's crew use metalbending to reshape its legs when somebody tries to tip it over.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

The Sharmat posted:

Kuvira's army is full of earthbenders that could presumably prevent that from happening.

They could but by the time one could theoretically react, the mech would be off balance due to the shift and it would already start coming down. Besides that there is a whole army of various benders for the republic, they should be attacking Kuvira's army while "Operation Humpty Dumpty" takes place.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

It's be pretty rad if the Colossus's crew use metalbending to reshape its legs when somebody tries to tip it over.
Given that they have no real electronics that we've seen I wouldn't be surprised if this is how it moves in the first place.

Writh posted:

They could but by the time one could theoretically react, the mech would be off balance due to the shift and it would already start coming down.
What episode of Avatar did the physics of bending get explained so well that you're so confident in this?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
It's nice they contrived a situation to make the lovely prince look worthy of being an unelected ruler

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's nice they contrived a situation to make the lovely prince look worthy of being an unelected ruler

The Price always seemed like someone who could be the typical "ruler you'd want to have a beer with" and still not actually be a good person to rule. It didn't really come out of nowhere as the season started with him thinking he was the anointed ruler, losing that, forced to be the Prince-in-Exile, and finally had people trying to kill him to keep him from being a threat. That will definitely change someone's outlook on life.

As far as the story goes, if he does end up getting the throne I'd expect that they have him set up a parliament or democrat equivalency so he can lay back and be the nice guy on the throne and let serious people handle the business of running an empire.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Love the metal gear mecha.

I hope she consults Raava and figures out how to bend the dubstep beam. That would not only make for a really cool scene in and of itself, but would also be good for re-establishing that the Avatar is in fact a badass.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If Wu is anything more than a highly constrained constitutional monarch I'm actually gonna be mad. Like, as mad as people that say this is a poo poo show were at the ending of Season 1.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hahahahahahahaha I'm gonna get my giant magical kungfu mech battle and there ain't a drat thing anyone can do about it hahahahahaha

Man, this episode was kinda intense. The arrival of the colossus (both at the outpost and in front of Iroh's army) was downright haunting. The effects look a little off to me (as with all the other mechs), but given how it's a slow and clunky machine, I didn't mind much. Also, rapid-fire spirit beams are actually scary - like others, I was heavily reminded of the Eva fight against the giant cube angel, who could literally melt mountains with his beams.

Still, not a lot of magical kungfu this time. It was almost entirely set-up and, well, politics (plus some very harrowing scenes with Kuvira). I was a little disappointed the other airbenders didn't have much onscreen action... Yeah, Bataar Jr. is a nonbender, but still! I wanted some sneaky airbending action. Show us what Bumi is capable of now, give Tenzin something to do. Oh well. Also, it still feels like Mako is entirely useless this season. At least... trounce some minions in the finale, will you? Meh. I'm pretty sure we'll get a proper magical kungfu battle vs. Kuvira, though, so I'm looking forward to that. The colossus might very well fall next episode already, and I'm perfectly cool with that. More room for spectacular melee.

Man, I want some magical kungfu.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea this whole series is about magical kungfu and I don't see how a giant mech is supposed to deliver on that.

What was so hard about sticking with the railways? Transporting an imperial army in record time is why Kuvira built them in the first place and a railgun just makes them even better

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 12, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Sharmat posted:

If Wu is anything more than a highly constrained constitutional monarch I'm actually gonna be mad. Like, as mad as people that say this is a poo poo show were at the ending of Season 1.

My problem with Wu is that he's clearly supposed to have an arc, and all of the pieces are there, but instead of actually building that arc the pieces were just left sitting disconnected on the ground.

His breakdown in the fake palace after Kuvira usurped his throne and he learned he has zero public support was well done, and seemed like the setup for him wanting to honestly become worthy of ruling the Earth Kingdom. Instead though in the very next episode he's back to his same idiot self, and the few good things he manages to pull off weren't because he wants to better himself, but because he thinks it'll get him in with Korra/Asami. His speech to the people this episode was also stupid and had no business actually inspiring anybody, which is a shame because there was a great opportunity to show off that Wu has a natural charisma that is well balanced by Mako's down-to-earth nature. The writers are obviously shooting for a non-adversarial take on the Long Feng / Earth King dynamic of the charismatic king and the detail oriented adviser who need one another to keep order, but I'm just not seeing Wu living up to his side.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
At least there wasn't a resurgence of Makorra or Asamako.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

:rip:

railgun was too good for this world

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Super Hitler with Boob's mech really looks the most like Gyspsy Danger instead of a Gundam or an Evangelion.

If you still don't think this is going to end with Rightful and Honest King Wu you're delusional.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
There was so much going on in this episode that the tonal shifts were really jarring. One moment you have Mecha Kuvira murdering people at a lighthouse, another moment you have Korra telling Meelo is farts are too loud. You have Bolin doing his talk-real-fast-and-say-nothing schtick, and then you have Team Avatar getting ready to forcefully interrogate Bataar. I was getting whiplash. Part of me thinks the story was meant to be spread out a bit more across multiple episodes, but they couldn't because of the budget cuts. When you add in the fact that this episode used quite a few still images, it makes sense.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Having a giant mech out of nowhere, zero foreshadowing,

also makes me think of budget cuts

at least it blew up all of the stupid helicopters

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 12, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Stallion Cabana posted:

If you still don't think this is going to end with Rightful and Honest King Wu you're delusional.
I can see how you think that but people were saying stuff like "Kuvira obviously hired the bandits to attack Earth Kingdom cities" and "Kuvira is clearly just using Baatu Jr. and doesn't care about him at all", and the writers didn't go for it. I think he may well abdicate or something in the finale.

AshB posted:

There was so much going on in this episode that the tonal shifts were really jarring. One moment you have Mecha Kuvira murdering people at a light house, another moment you have Korra telling Meelo is farts are too loud. You have Bolin doing his talk-real-fast-and-say-nothing schtick, and then you have Team Avatar getting ready to forcefully interrogate Bataar. I was getting whiplash. Part of me thinks the story was meant to be spread out a bit more across multiple episodes, but they couldn't because of the budget cuts. When you add in the fact that this episode used quite a few still images, it makes sense.

No, I just rewatched ATLA and this franchise has always been like this. Almost every time you cut to Sokka/Suki/Toph in ATLA's finale Sokka says something hugely jarring and unfunny that gives tonal whiplash.

The writers should just stop trying to do whacky humor. Except with Varrick. For some reason he's ok. I blame the voice actor.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
well I'd say it was meant to be something you wouldn't have called; I mean, I knew taking care of the DubzCannon wound not be as simple as taking out the rails. granted I thought they would do some silly metalbending to pick up the track they just ran over, carry it overhead, then lay it down in front of the train before it left the track it was on :v:

even though I knew there was going to be a big mech from people talking about episode titles in here, it still was a little unsettling when it's initial silhouette looked like a headless person. I did think the control setup they made for Kuvira was cool though.

I just didn't believe nobody realized that batar will always be someone's 2nd banana. also I think it goes without saying that everyone should come out of this alright; otherwise we would have been left with someone asking "where's X???" and then it is implied they got dubstepped on.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I wouldn't be surprised if Bataar Jr. actually died there. And his last words are some critical weakness in the mech or something, I dunno.

Also I just realized the real reason I'm mad is that they decided to go with the giant mech but didn't make it a giant mechanical spider.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
gently caress this Earth, I love the giant mech and the completely ridiculous over-the-top way that Kuvira controls it with metalbending instead of, like, walking forward and just putting her hands on the controls. It's wonderful.

The only thing I'm worried about, as usual with this show, is whether they're going to be able to resolve all of this satisfyingly. They have ~40 minutes to wrap up literally everything. :ohdear:

edit: Actually, looking at the scene, it looks there's some kind of...metalbending...sensors?...that Kuvira is manipulating to control the mech. So it's not like anyone can just control it, you literally have to metalbend it.

And that is even cooler and more anime.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 12, 2014

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The Sharmat posted:

I can see how you think that but people were saying stuff like "Kuvira obviously hired the bandits to attack Earth Kingdom cities" and "Kuvira is clearly just using Baatu Jr. and doesn't care about him at all", and the writers didn't go for it. I think he may well abdicate or something in the finale.

I still believe her hiring the bandits will be revealed, and are you missing the point where she just blew up the building Baatar was in with a giant laser cannon?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jackard posted:

Yea this whole series is about magical kungfu and I don't see how a giant mech is supposed to deliver on that.

Ahem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JXKWPkJOgw

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

also makes me think of budget cuts

Maybe the mech is an allegory for Nickelodeon and blowing up all those dragonfly things or whatever is symbolic of their budget cuts.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

gently caress this Earth, I love the giant mech and the completely ridiculous over-the-top way that Kuvira controls it with metalbending instead of, like, walking forward and just putting her hands on the controls. It's wonderful.
Her control scheme was awesome. I loved it.

BrianWilly posted:

The only thing I'm worried about, as usual with this show, is whether they're going to be able to resolve all of this satisfyingly. They have ~40 minutes to wrap up literally everything. :ohdear:
Yeah that's always a risk with this show. Their only satisfying endings have been where the protagonist lost (Earth) and where they got bailed out by someone else (Change).

Stallion Cabana posted:

I still believe her hiring the bandits will be revealed, and are you missing the point where she just blew up the building Baatar was in with a giant laser cannon?

It clearly hurt her to kill Bataar. I never suggested Kuvira was a normal person, but she clearly loved him, in her weird way. She was quite careful for her last words to him to be "I love you"

And with 44 minutes left to wrap up the entire show I'm really skeptical of them explaining that she hired the bandits all along .Especially when the Earth Kingdom was already plagued by bandits even before the Earth Queen died.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

This. Those looked dumb as gently caress.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's gonna be two left. They're going to be piloted by Varrick (who goes full Iron man) and Asami (who needs something to do this season very badly).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The Sharmat posted:

And with 44 minutes left to wrap up the entire show I'm really skeptical of them explaining that she hired the bandits all along .Especially when the Earth Kingdom was already plagued by bandits even before the Earth Queen died.

This is honestly fair to point out. It's entirely possible she won't be revealed to have done that, even though there were a lot of little things pointing towards it. I will concede this point at least, though I am certainly unsure about the other one. I think that depends on what she says to Korra and how she reacts if he survives and the like.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Sharmat posted:

There's gonna be two left. They're going to be piloted by Varrick (who goes full Iron man) and Asami (who needs something to do this season very badly).

I honestly forget: did she have a single line of spoken dialogue this episode?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Not that I can remember. It's a shame because I rather like Asami.

Stallion Cabana posted:

This is honestly fair to point out. It's entirely possible she won't be revealed to have done that, even though there were a lot of little things pointing towards it. I will concede this point at least, though I am certainly unsure about the other one. I think that depends on what she says to Korra and how she reacts if he survives and the like.

Kuvira was clearly fighting tears.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

What was so hard about sticking with the railways? Transporting an imperial army in record time is why Kuvira built them in the first place and a railgun just makes them even better

I wonder what possible use a giant robot that towers over mountains could have in an army. Or the effect that might have on the opposing army seeing that come walking up to the battlefield.

They desperately need to use the fact that Bolin can lavabend now. A lot of problems could be solved by just using Earthbending differently than just throwing big rocks at things. Like pinning those tanks in place for one.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Earth-Bending whack-a-mole between the two armies constantly popping up and knocking down barriers would be amusing for the first five minutes but after that it would lose any emotional impact.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

The Earth-Bending whack-a-mole between the two armies constantly popping up and knocking down barriers would be amusing for the first five minutes but after that it would lose any emotional impact.

It's a shame that Toph never managed to teach anyone aside from Aang to constantly see with their feet. No one would expect an underground attack!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Lin and Suyin can both do that, actually.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Still hoping that they'll pull a Ghostbuster II and have the spirits animate Aang's statue for the finale. Positively charged slime is not necessary, but would be welcome.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Any chance Kuvira dies from Koh showing up and stealing her face?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jackard posted:

Well I guess we now know what they did with the retractable domes of Zafou

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The Sharmat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bataar Jr. actually died there. And his last words are some critical weakness in the mech or something, I dunno.

Also I just realized the real reason I'm mad is that they decided to go with the giant mech but didn't make it a giant mechanical spider.

Yeah I think I'd be okay with a giant mecha if the design wasn't so dumb. I can't think of a single good reason to shape something like that like a human. This is a pretty dumb nitpick overall though, I know.

The second they talked about capturing Baatar I knew she was going to end up throwing him to the sharks. Still cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just glad she was actually broken up about it instead of the writers needlessly making her a complete piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread