Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Yeah, Fringe starts as a 'monster of the week' show and eventually stumbles into something more focused. It's weird.

And like every single seemingly self contained monster of the week comes back as part of the grand plan.

They got really lucky that renewal let them pull it off, it was a hell of a gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just finished watching Europa Report, and god it's got the worst sci-fi tropes and the worst found footage tropes. Particularly, the best and brightest astronauts do stupid and emotional thing but also No redundancy in the comm system? Some super toxic chemical that will kill them all, but no decon options? Pilot leaving the controls to dump the water shield which of course isn't doable from the controls?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

mobby_6kl posted:

I was just watching some Fringe on recommendation and it's really bad with this. At least Olivia is an actual agent and not a science nerd, but still she always charges in while geared SWAT guys follow her lead. Also her not-FBI sidekick is also always present and has free reign on the crime scenes.

The best part is where they started trying to make Peter as badass as Olivia by having him kick down in every other episode.

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold

Elendil004 posted:

I just finished watching Europa Report Some super toxic chemical that will kill them all, but no decon options?

This is actually true to life. Hydrazine is nasty poo poo, used as propellent for directional thrusters.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mans posted:

That and detectives suddenly acting as SWAT operatives.

But they still only use their service pistol, always lead the charge into a suspect's house and they never any kind of armor other than a simple vest.

This happened all the time on 24, but to be fair it was Jack motherfucking Bauer leading the charge to waste some fools while the SWAT troopers played slapdick behind him.

Also, he up-gunned to an assault rifle or something every now and then instead of just his pistol.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

OldMold posted:

This is actually true to life. Hydrazine is nasty poo poo, used as propellent for directional thrusters.

Sure, but no decon procedure?

Not too mention the two of them being tethered together, not individually was just the dumbest. They easily could have brought the leaky guy in, cycled the airlock then brought in dipshit McHydrazine, left the space a vacuum while they figured out how to decon him.

Elendil004 has a new favorite as of 13:40 on Dec 6, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

This happened all the time on 24, but to be fair it was Jack motherfucking Bauer leading the charge to waste some fools while the SWAT troopers played slapdick behind him.

Also, he up-gunned to an assault rifle or something every now and then instead of just his pistol.

Would you expect anything less from Big Boss

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In the TV show The Dresden Files the main character, Harry Dresden, has a ghost called Bob haunting his house/shop. Bob is visible to everyone and looks and sounds just like a normal person, but always hides whenever any recurring character shows up. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this. Harry could just say "This is my friend Bob." and no one would question that. And he has no problem showing himself to random side characters. He even greets a customer when Harry's gone out in one episode. It doesn't make sense that he's always hiding.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I just watched State of Emergency which was a pretty solid little zombie flick. 4 people hide out in a barn, one goes into diabetic shock or something, one goes looking for medicine, zombies get in, poo poo happens. Nice movie.

There are two guns in the entire movie, a shotgun, and a bolt action rifle. The main character uses the rifle, his buddy uses the shotgun. EVERY single time they do something rifle guy goes first, which is loving stupid. They clear a house? Rifle first one through the door, they guard a staircase all night to make sure no one comes up, rifles got watch, they move through tight hallways with corners and no way to know whats ahead? Scope bolt action rifle first.

It was a really great movie but that poo poo just took me right out of it. Thats not some navy seal poo poo, its just common sense

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Waroduce posted:

It was a really great movie but that poo poo just took me right out of it. Thats not some navy seal poo poo, its just common sense

Hollywood gunplay in general is poo poo when it comes to shotguns. Shotguns fire confetti at anything greater than some arbitrary small distance, but inside that, they fire nuclear warheads that tear holes through people and send their corpses flying.

Kind of an inverse: I just watched Jack Reacher. Now, of course, there's the irritating bit about that movie that Tom Cruise fits almost zero of the adjectives used to describe Reacher in the books other than 'Caucasian' and 'male', but the odd thing is that it's soured me on other mystery-type movies. Specifically, the way cops tend to gather evidence in those cases. We're supposed to assume in other movies that cops are being diligent when they find evidence that no sane person would have looked for. Instead, in Reacher, the fact that they dumped the parking meter and found the quarter that helped frame Barr was proof that the lead investigator was part of the frame job. Now I won't be able to not think something similar when I see a "why did they even think to look there?" moment in a mystery.

What makes it worse is that the very same plot point is used in shittons of mystery books, but it almost never seems to be used in mystery movies, and only very rarely in TV crime dramas (and only when they want to make A Point).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

In the TV show The Dresden Files the main character, Harry Dresden, has a ghost called Bob haunting his house/shop. Bob is visible to everyone and looks and sounds just like a normal person, but always hides whenever any recurring character shows up. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this. Harry could just say "This is my friend Bob." and no one would question that. And he has no problem showing himself to random side characters. He even greets a customer when Harry's gone out in one episode. It doesn't make sense that he's always hiding.

I always took it as Harry was worried that he would cause some problems since he tended to literally ghost through stuff.

Also he wasn't exactly the nicest guy to begin with. Dude was a warlock who did some seriously dark magic. You don't want him running around off his leash if you can help it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Speaking of gathering evidence, one thing that has bothered me about The Shield is the bit with Shane and Antwon Mitchel (spelling?). Specifically, the part about the bullets in the girl's body coming from Shane and his partner at the time's gun. Do they regularly check murder bullet ballistics against databases that include cop guns? They made a huge deal about it and it got Shane to do basically whatever he said, but it seemed far-fetched to me that they'd check that.

vv I guess I assumed they'd have a database of known guns used in crimes and a separate one for cops, like with fingerprints where if you get fingerprinted for say a government job, you aren't included in searches for murder investigations unless they specifically search for government employees. Also is it really even a thing they can identify a bullet to a specific gun, or is that just tv show/movie magic?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Dec 10, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ They would also notice the bullet comes from a gun that the police are issued so that would give them cause.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Speaking of gathering evidence, one thing that has bothered me about The Shield is the bit with Shane and Antwon Mitchel (spelling?). Specifically, the part about the bullets in the girl's body coming from Shane and his partner at the time's gun. Do they regularly check murder bullet ballistics against databases that include cop guns? They made a huge deal about it and it got Shane to do basically whatever he said, but it seemed far-fetched to me that they'd check that.

I assumed they would check it against all databases and their guns are in their. I do not think there is a special cop only one, there is an everyone one.

bobkatt013 has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Dec 10, 2014

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Go you cant save us!
We wont leave you sir!
Its impossible you will die too!
Never leave a man behind!
Go thats a order!

Ok we will go
or
no we will save you
ok come save me

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

Random one time character people will see him a couple times quickly and then never again. People that are there a lot would see him more if he was around, and therefore someday come to some kind of "hey why don't you come outside" or whatever situation where it would be revealed. Maybe? I dunno how he magically knows who will be reoccurring and not though.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

bobkatt013 posted:

^^ They would also notice the bullet comes from a gun that the police are issued so that would give them cause.

I assumed they would check it against all databases and their guns are in their. I do not think there is a special cop only one, there is an everyone one.

I don't believe there are databases at all, not like you'd think of a fingerprint database. The idea is that you recover a bullet from a crime scene. If someone comes up with a gun they think might have been used, you fire a bullet from that gun and compare the two bullets.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Silly Newbie posted:

I don't believe there are databases at all, not like you'd think of a fingerprint database. The idea is that you recover a bullet from a crime scene. If someone comes up with a gun they think might have been used, you fire a bullet from that gun and compare the two bullets.

That's what I've gathered as well. There is no giant registry of guns, even though some legislators have that as their pipedream. If you have a fired round recovered from the victim along with a suspected murder weapon, you compare the fired slug with an identical one fired through the murder weapon. If the rifling and other marks match up under a microscope, you have a winner.

Same goes for things like knife and tool cuts which leave unique markings.

Of course this is all boring poo poo that doesn't beep and bloop on a computer screen, so there you go.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

Murphy Brownback posted:

vv I guess I assumed they'd have a database of known guns used in crimes and a separate one for cops, like with fingerprints where if you get fingerprinted for say a government job, you aren't included in searches for murder investigations unless they specifically search for government employees. Also is it really even a thing they can identify a bullet to a specific gun, or is that just tv show/movie magic?

Antwon Mitchell had re-made himself into this civic leader that was "doing good" for the Farmington community. Rallies, rebuilding houses, all that good PR poo poo.

So if Shane doesn't do what he says he'll use his new public image to be all "Yeah, I totally saw that redneck cop and his partner shoot that little girl", and the "evidence" backs up the claim. And honestly, Shane's reputation isn't much better than Antwon's, so it's not like Shane could pull the "They'll believe, I'm a COP!" card to try and get out of it either.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I haven't seen the show, but from reading the books I'm guessing this is a plot point they were developing but the show probably got cancelled before they could do anything with it.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
gently caress the evidence wall with the red string. It seems so freaking stupid and useless with all those newpaper clippings and other crap randomly put up there.
Furthermore, if that string is supposed to tie things together in whatever way, then loving put the evidence piece next to each other on a timeline og something like that.

Hulebr00670065006e has a new favorite as of 10:30 on Dec 11, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

gently caress the evidence wall with the red string. It seems so freaking stupid and useless with all those newpaper clippings and other crap randomly put up there.
Furthermore, if that string is supposed to tie things together in whatever way, then loving put the evidence piece next to each other on a timeline og something like that.

Position on the wall is chronology & location, red string is cause & effect.

gently caress, it's like you've never stalked anyone before.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

sassassin posted:

Position on the wall is chronology & location, red string is cause & effect.

gently caress, it's like you've never stalked anyone before.

And cause and effect isn't chronological? The string is always crisscrossing like a motherfucker. It shouldn't be.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

And cause and effect isn't chronological? The string is always crisscrossing like a motherfucker. It shouldn't be.

When I slashed her tires she went to the tire place a day later. I place the string between the two events because they are linked but lots of other stuff happened in different places in between and they won't be next to each other.

She went to this place because her uncle (fig. b Family, top right of the board) owns it so that's another string. And it made her stop into Starbucks b instead of Starbucks a which is near her work.

Life is complicated, but you can make sense of it with enough string.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Yeah but a straight line aint cool, man.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The kind of person depicted doing a newspaper and string project isn't exactly supposed to be sane...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah even when the hero does it (and hes right) its usually an indicator he's gone way too far into this.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah even when the hero does it (and hes right) its usually an indicator he's gone way too far into this.

Or that he's artistic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xTvn0Ob3xo&t=68s

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

mng posted:

That's what I've gathered as well. There is no giant registry of guns, even though some legislators have that as their pipedream. If you have a fired round recovered from the victim along with a suspected murder weapon, you compare the fired slug with an identical one fired through the murder weapon. If the rifling and other marks match up under a microscope, you have a winner.

Of course this is all boring poo poo that doesn't beep and bloop on a computer screen, so there you go.

People would be shocked if they knew just how much anti scientific guesswork was involved in forensics. Matching bullets is pretty much subjective and pretty useless in a lot of cases.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

mng posted:

Okay now explain the scene in the Dark Knight where Bruce uses a cannon on a rail to shoot bricks. What the gently caress was that supposed to prove?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kruller posted:

Okay now explain the scene in the Dark Knight where Bruce uses a cannon on a rail to shoot bricks. What the gently caress was that supposed to prove?

If you had a cannon, you wouldn't shoot things, like bricks, and pretend it was part of your job?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Kruller posted:

"I have a minigun chambered in 9mm and I'm going to loving shoot a brick because I'm Batman."

:v:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"Hey Lucius, watch this!"

BANG BANG BANG

"...and what was that supposed to prove, Mr. Wayne?"

"gently caress YOU I'M BATMAN"

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Kruller posted:

Batman is the world's greatest detective

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"Hey Lucius, watch this!"

BANG BANG BANG

"...and what was that supposed to prove, Mr. Wayne?"

"gently caress YOU I'M BATMAN"

"What are you going to do with this evidence?"
"Find a bad guy and beat him unconscious with it :mad:"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

RagnarokAngel posted:

This company is being bled like a stuck pig, Mac, and I've got the paper trail to prove it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
And when someone asks you who else you've told about this, always say, "LIKE, A BUNCH OF PEOPLE!!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ubs6iUMdyo

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

I'm binge watching Supernatural at the moment, and something that keeps popping out to me is one of the leads gets super impatient when they're getting information about something. Like: "What can you tell me about this demon unicorn?" "well they feed on munchkins and can only be killed in one way" *nanosecond later* "YES WHAT IS IT?!" Calm down, dude, he was gonna tell you in a second, sheesh. I've seen that stuff before but can't remember any specific examples.

I also notice a lot of movies where there is non-English dialogue between two parties. There's of course always subtitles in English, but still they change between English and whatever every couple of sentences. Are audiences really so dumb they can't follow subtitles for a short scene? I dunno, it just seems arbitrary.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mng posted:

I also notice a lot of movies where there is non-English dialogue between two parties. There's of course always subtitles in English, but still they change between English and whatever every couple of sentences. Are audiences really so dumb they can't follow subtitles for a short scene? I dunno, it just seems arbitrary.

Yes. Yes they are.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Len posted:

Yes. Yes they are.

I'm trying to have faith here, man! :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That reminds me, the non-engish conversations in Agents of SHIELD say gently caress it and don't sub a drat thing. People will have a whole conversation in Russian or whatever and you don't know what the hell they are saying, and it's ok. The world doesn't end or anything.