Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But then we have to throw out all the professional cosplayers as well ...

No we don't. I feel like the line falls somewhere on either side of "did a movie studio give you a budget?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lord Frisk posted:

No we don't. I feel like the line falls somewhere on either side of "did a movie studio give you a budget?"

The Silver Surfer bodypainter didn't get a budget from a movie studio for this project, it's in no way an official or licenced costume.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Dec 12, 2014

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Didnt they use a full Hollywood makeup team? I'm too lazy to recheck the article

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

CzarChasm posted:

Ummm...I think he wins.

Look at the hands and feet. That's a person, not a picture.
http://toybox.io9.com/this-isnt-a-drawing-of-the-silver-surfer-its-a-photo-o-1669735070/+riamisra

Wanna see this guy walk around at a con, holy poo poo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Reminds me of a very recent conversation with a friend when they said I was cosplaying after I showed a pic of me in the official toxic avenger mask when working at the troma booth at wondercon '11. Not exactly :effort: but still official.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

At what point does stuff like that not qualify as cosplay? It's a professional studio makeup job. We don't post pictures of studio costumes.

Not trying to be a poo poo, just wondering. For the record I'm blown away by that makeup.

This is a idiotic derail and you all should drop it.

We all posted heaps of praise at the Skeksis that one of the goons did a while back, and that is certainly a professional quality costume. Lets just appreciate the craftsmanship.

e: I just think trying to define "where the line is" in the thread isn't all that useful.

TheTofuShop has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Dec 12, 2014

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Look out, people who have already posted reasoned and level-headed answers. Turns out the question was idiotic! Don't you feel foolish!

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
CALM DOWN GUYS STOP FIGHTING AAAAAHHHH!!!

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

This Thor is pretty good -

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Erebus posted:

Look out, people who have already posted reasoned and level-headed answers. Turns out the question was idiotic! Don't you feel foolish!

Don't be obtuse; that's not what he said. It's an idiot derail. There's no objective basis for a hard, bright line dividing "cosplay" from "too much money and resources went into this to be cosplay," which means everybody is going to draw the cutoff somewhere different, which means it's stupid to argue about because there can't possibly be any resolution beyond everyone giving up and letting the subject drop.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

TheTofuShop posted:

This Thor is pretty good -

That hair is glorious :swoon:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samuel posted:

CALM DOWN GUYS STOP FIGHTING AAAAAHHHH!!!

While I applaud the cosplay as such, I wonder why Snake is in his Shadow Moses garb, while Raiden is wearing his MGS4 outfit. The chronology is all wrong!

:spergin:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

LoonShia posted:

While I applaud the cosplay as such, I wonder why Snake is in his Shadow Moses garb, while Raiden is wearing his MGS4 outfit. The chronology is all wrong!

yeah but any pre-mgs4 raiden loving sucks

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LoonShia posted:

Flashback Snake during the Shadow Moses part of MGS4. Come on man.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

LoonShia posted:

I actually thought the same thing when I saw it :3:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samuel posted:

I actually thought the same thing when I saw it :3:

:spergin: :hf: :spergin:

EDIT: Just so this post actually has stuff in it, I found this:

Philippe has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Dec 13, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

:golfclap:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Assassin or not, I really just want to tuck in the bands that are holding on his forearm armor.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bennett, or Freddie Mercury?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

let off some steam

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I don't know if this is makeup and contacts or Photoshop but it's kinda weirding me out either way.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Erebus posted:

I don't know if this is makeup and contacts or Photoshop but it's kinda weirding me out either way.

That's a great cosplay ruined by a photoshop.

Edit: I mean they made it look like the game, but just crashed and burned in the uncanny valley.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Popeye the Sailor Moon

:v:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Is that a woman in really good makeup or a dude with really great leggings?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Funhilde posted:

Check out the RPF or just head to the website for the 501rst. They have many good resources.

Getting a 501st approved Stormtrooper costume is on my list of life goals.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Doomsayer posted:

My first instinct based on things like the cleavage showing is that it's a good mask.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doomsayer posted:

Woman with a mask I'd say.

Efb

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Erebus posted:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
God's work, FAI. :golfclap:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it would look better if you framed it in black :colbert:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Funnily enough that also seems to offset some off the photoshop creepiness. Keep up the good work GSF.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tollymain posted:

it would look better if you framed it in black :colbert:

I suppose if you insist

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Your tech-wizardry has made me realise something. Do all these cosplay photos have the same level of Dutch angle or is out just me?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
No, quite a few go even more Dutch!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The particularly egregious examples of the Dutch (or "canted") angle you've seen in this thread are usually about 45° in one direction or the other. Any more, and the photo will look sideways, and much less, and it'll look crooked.

It's a very, very common habit that is easy to fall into for beginning photographers.

That's definitely not to say that it doesn't have its place in cosplay photography, or photography in general. If you've seen just about any of Hitchcock's films, you've probably seen some pretty amazing canted angles and not even realized it. That's a canted angle done correctly--it's something you do to add a creepy or unsettling vibe to a shot (in Hitchcock's case), to fit in more into a frame than you'd be able to if it were horizontal, or because you only had mere seconds to frame the shot and snap the shutter.

FYI, the last of those three happens in award-winning photojournalism all the time. Kevin Carter's Pulitzer Prize-winning photo (I'm not going to link it, though you've probably already seen it. It's loving heartbreaking and he ended up killing himself because of it) is at an ever-so-slight angle, and whether by accident or intention, it adds to the already overwhelmingly unsettling nature of the scene.

What the gently caress does any of that have to do with cosplay photography?

Everything!

If you're going for creepy/unsettling, do what Hitchcock did and employ German expressionism. Find some parallel lines (stairs work wonderfully), put your subject on/near them, and tilt your shot a little. A Pyramid Head on some stairs at a slight angle is way creepier than one in your driveway perfectly level with the horizon.

If you're trying to fit everything in, go ahead and tilt it. This works really well when you've got two subjects interacting on different horizontal planes (a Harley Quinn looking up at a Joker, Superman dad and Superboy toddler, etc.).

If you've got one shot to capture something magical in cosplay, you can probably get another. Deadpool do something zany and hilarious and you struggled to get your camera out in time, resulting in a nearly-sideways photo? Ask him to do it again. With effectively infinite "film" these days and plenty of time at your con or photoshoot or whatever, you won't really have a problem getting lots of useable shots of him giving someone a noogie.

What's not on this list?

"I dunno man it looks cool if you tilt the camera." :v:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I've always assumed one of the reasons you see it so much in cosplay photography is because you see it a lot in anime artwork, and they're just aping the style.

(No idea what this is, just googled anime wallpapers)

Of course, the reason it gets used in anime so much is probably just because "it looks cool."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey we're just standing still here, what can make these photos really SNAP? I know, angle the fuckers! WHOO, INSTANT ACTION SHOTS!

Pretty much all of these are from deviantArt so that bears out GOTTA STAY FAI's theory that the angle is overused by amateur photographers

The best dutch angle cosplay photos are the ones where the angle is actually working against the composition/direction of movement so rather than making the photo look more dynamic it makes it look like the models are slowly sliding down a steep slope:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Dec 20, 2014

• Locked thread