Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oblomov posted:

Yeah, between PCSX2 and Dolphin I don't have to fire up old consoles at all. To be fair, I don't have a Wii or Wii-U.
I've had worse luck with Dolphin myself, a lot of stuttering and sound issues on my end. It's still a cool as heck emulator though, the developer blog read-ups are always fascinating and I fully expect either an upcoming release or my next PC to handle it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

I've had worse luck with Dolphin myself, a lot of stuttering and sound issues on my end. It's still a cool as heck emulator though, the developer blog read-ups are always fascinating and I fully expect either an upcoming release or my next PC to handle it better.

Dolphin is pretty amazing for what it does and how well, but I do have to put a bit more elbow grease into it to get games playing well than PCSX2. Sound is almost always my problem.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Many of the sound issues have been fixed by recent builds, and like you said the dev blog is fantastic. I haven't really had many issues with PCSX2 either barring Shadow Hearts.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Endorph posted:

It was only in Japan. I don't know if it was terrible but considering it only ran for 3 years, counting the open beta, I'd say it was at least a failure financially.

Damnit Japan....

I even played that online SMT game and Wizardry online. Can I just have 1 nice thing, just 1?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oblomov posted:

What is your CPU/Video Card?

i7-4770k, GTX770 GPU. Before, it was a pre-Sandy Bridge i5 with a AMD 5870HD, and that was running everything poorly back in 2012-2013.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
PCSX2 is v. good but certain games just need some hacking/love to get going and stable.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I beat Suikoden 1 last night, this was my first time playing any game in the series. I enjoyed the base building aspects and the combat was fast and snappy. I had a lot of problems with how thin the plotting and characterization were, but I could kind of tell by the end that they were kind of making a prototype for the game they wanted to make.

Barely an hour into 2 and there's been more plot and intrigue than the entirety of the first game already, and the combat has been improved, the menus are better and you can run without a rune! :getin:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The White Dragon posted:

i7-4770k, GTX770 GPU. Before, it was a pre-Sandy Bridge i5 with a AMD 5870HD, and that was running everything poorly back in 2012-2013.
You definitely have better hardware than me at least (i5-750 overclocked to 3.2 GHz). So yeah I'd try a newer build and see how it goes. For reference I usually go with 3x scaling with a 1280x960 window.

You may want to also check out SweetFX, which has a lot of neat options to make games look "right" in terms of color balance and anti-aliasing.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
PCSX2 is no Dolphin for sure, but I've had minimal issues getting through many games on it including FF12 IZJS, Radiata Stories, VP2, Dark Cloud 2, and a number of others I can't remember. I always stick to the latest dev builds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VP2 runs like poo poo on every version of it. It's due to the way the game is coded. It's basically strung together with spit and twine.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Zaggitz posted:

I beat Suikoden 1 last night, this was my first time playing any game in the series. I enjoyed the base building aspects and the combat was fast and snappy. I had a lot of problems with how thin the plotting and characterization were, but I could kind of tell by the end that they were kind of making a prototype for the game they wanted to make.

Barely an hour into 2 and there's been more plot and intrigue than the entirety of the first game already, and the combat has been improved, the menus are better and you can run without a rune! :getin:

Did you install the patch that makes Suikoden 2 even better?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

RadicalR posted:

Did you install the patch that makes Suikoden 2 even better?

Please elaborate/link.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

VP2 runs like poo poo on every version of it. It's due to the way the game is coded. It's basically strung together with spit and twine.

The first time I loaded that game up, about the fifth or so fight I got in froze the game. This wasn't via emulation, either.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mr E posted:

I haven't really had many issues with PCSX2 either barring Shadow Hearts.
What kind of issues did you get in SH?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Levantine posted:

Dolphin is pretty amazing for what it does and how well, but I do have to put a bit more elbow grease into it to get games playing well than PCSX2. Sound is almost always my problem.

Latest dev version run Xenoblade at least very well.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nate RFB posted:

You definitely have better hardware than me at least (i5-750 overclocked to 3.2 GHz). So yeah I'd try a newer build and see how it goes. For reference I usually go with 3x scaling with a 1280x960 window.

You may want to also check out SweetFX, which has a lot of neat options to make games look "right" in terms of color balance and anti-aliasing.

Agree about the hardware. It shouldn't present an issue really. Some games as mentioned here are just coded very strangely and won't play well, but majority should work (like Suikoden 3).

Edit: For scaling, it depends on a game. I usually do full screen and a lot of games can either support widescreen out right so scaling 4.5-5x works out pretty well or some of the games have widescreen hacks. It just depends though, sometimes I deal with frames and thats ok.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Zaggitz posted:

Please elaborate/link.

Nevermind I found it and patched it. Thanks for the heads up.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

oblomov posted:

Latest dev version run Xenoblade at least very well.

I'll have to try it. Both it and Last Story ran pretty poorly for me but admittedly, I haven't tried in about a year.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm playing Xenoblade right now and it runs perfectly smooth for an integrated card with i3 3.4.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Is the Ni No Kuni battle system really as much of a mess as it seems or am I retarded? Why do so many of my familiars hit for 1 when they're the same level as Mitey who can hit everything for a zillion? Everything about this game is lovely besides the battle system and I'm really hoping I'm just missing something

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its terrible

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I mean I'm a good ways into the game and I've managed up to this point even though the battle mechanics are super basic but the more difficult enemies get the more crippling the battle system seems to be

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There's a reason I only played that game on easy. I'm not bad at RPGs, it's just that the party AI is so stupid, you're gonna get wrecked if you play that game on normal.

Also, replace Mitey with that cat you find near the beach city. It's faster, hits harder and one of its final forms is a black pirate cat with an eyepatch. :3: The snake at the Ding Dong Well is great too.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 13, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whaley posted:

Is the Ni No Kuni battle system really as much of a mess as it seems or am I retarded? Why do so many of my familiars hit for 1 when they're the same level as Mitey who can hit everything for a zillion? Everything about this game is lovely besides the battle system and I'm really hoping I'm just missing something
I didn't really have a problem with that. The important thing is to not Catch Em All like Pokemon and just train the few you have. Don't have so many that you have a full list of reserves, that is. Feed em the stat-boosting items as much as possible, keep their equipment up to date, etc.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
ni no kuni does a few things very well but being a video game is not one of them. :(

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

Nevermind I found it and patched it. Thanks for the heads up.

Would you kindly provide a link anyway? Did some searching, but all I found was an expired wikia. :smith:

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

What kind of issues did you get in SH?

Same actually. Just couldn't ever get it to run at acceptable FPS. That was a year or so ago, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ni no kuni is bad

list of games that legitimately are better games than ni no kuni:

record of agarest war (all of them)
hyperdimension neptunia (all of them)
shadow madness

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I like Shadow Madness. Granted its graphics are AWFUL even by the standards of early PS1 RPGs and its battle system is boring, but it's really well written.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

ni no kuni is bad

list of games that legitimately are better games than ni no kuni:

record of agarest war (all of them)
idea factory games being favorably compared to something, that's bizarro universe alright
:psyduck:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

whaley posted:

Some guys are straight up better than other guys.

Also, Mitey is maybe at a higher tier of evolution than you other guys? No idea. I really liked Ni no Kuni, but the gameplay was not the reason. gently caress those "Catch this fucker!" sidequests. And I had a the official guide, too, which was a pretty sweet guide overall. Shame about the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

idea factory games being favorably compared to something, that's bizarro universe alright

Neptunia is actually insanely cool.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Neptunia is actually insanely cool.

Never played it (I don't have a PS3) but Spectral Souls et al. were enough to make me go full :psyduck:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kubla Khan posted:

Ni no Kuni's gameplay actually is that bad, yeah.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

dmboogie posted:

Would you kindly provide a link anyway? Did some searching, but all I found was an expired wikia. :smith:

http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12441 third link.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Thank you!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You know, I took it as far as I could, I gave it every effort, but when a final boss has a Death spell that works 100% of the time and he uses it on your main character after you just took 6 million of its 7 million hit points down after about 20 minutes.....

I guess what I'm saying is I "beat" Final Fantasy 13, and by that I mean I turned it off and went to bed after that game over because it's gently caress o clock in the morning

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are you talking about the final boss that can be killed with poison or the one after that?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Are you talking about the final boss that can be killed with poison or the one after that?
The second of the three, he has a Death spell and i didnt know he was gonna have that poo poo. I don't really like death spells in RPGs but especially not in "leader falls, party falls" combat. It just turns into russian roulette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Yeah, it took me a few tries as well. The keys to the battle are poison, turtling, and the resist death accessory that I believe is in the dungeon right before the boss.