Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
If I have a job some time soon and can travel again....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I Love You! posted:

I live in Michigan

I Love You! posted:

I live in Michigan

What store do you normally play at? I know I'm a ways from baron but I may be closer to you.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm guessing probably Ann Arbor, just a hunch. I'm over in Grand Rapids though I go down to Kalamazoo occasionally (girlfriend's family lives there).

Nope, Lansing. It's actually practical!

Snacksmaniac posted:

What store do you normally play at? I know I'm a ways from baron but I may be closer to you.

ehehehehe. Yeah, I pretty much only play MODO right now though I'm being encouraged to start travelling around the state to meet up with various pros to start PT testing and prepping. That said I'd love to have an actual crew for cube/drafting even if that required some travel to do.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 5, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I Love You! posted:

ehehehehe. Yeah, I pretty much only play MODO right now though I'm being encouraged to start travelling around the state to meet up with various pros to start PT testing and prepping. That said I'd love to have an actual crew for cube/drafting even if that required some travel to do.
Get PMs or an email or something!!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I Love You! posted:

Yeah that's not too awful actually.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Snacksmaniac posted:

Get PMs or an email or something!!

I... have pms???

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Babby's first legacy cube draft. Surprisingly I went 2-1 despite not knowing at least half of the cards. Mother of Runes and Eight-and-a-Half-Tails were MVPs in my first match against a primarily U deck with Helm of Possession, Waterfront Bouncer, and Spellkite. Second match was vs UW control (who went on to 3-0) and I lost due to awful draws more than anything. Final match I took with some lucky draws of my excellent 1- and 2-drops.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm shocked that your mana worked out, you have so many double white and black cards(and Obliterator!) with no fixing.

Also, I would cut expensive cards and Obliterator for more cheap dudes, I think.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

I'm shocked that your mana worked out, you have so many double white and black cards(and Obliterator!) with no fixing.

Also, I would cut expensive cards and Obliterator for more cheap dudes, I think.
Yeah Obliterator was a mistake. So was Ajani probably, I would have taken them out if I could have. Two colors didn't seem very problematic to me though; yeah a bunch of stuff has double mana costs, but with 3 lands you're guaranteed to have either two white or two black for something.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I Love You! posted:

I... have pms???

What a country!

With all the burn running aroud, I'd love to jam obliterator in some decks. I've had some luck in previous cubes lucking into that and Urborg, but it's been four or five seasons.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Snacksmaniac posted:

What a country!

With all the burn running aroud, I'd love to jam obliterator in some decks. I've had some luck in previous cubes lucking into that and Urborg, but it's been four or five seasons.

Last Holiday Cube he was really good because there was a great mono black stax deck that you could draft every so often when the color was ignored. Geralf's Messenger, Obliterator, Necropotence, get poo poo done with all the BBB spells! Braids was the key, though, and she got cut for this one.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Just updated the ol' cube tutor (by making a new one): http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/20820 and any suggestions are always welcome.

Now that we've had a good amount of time with khans what are people's thoughts on the cards? Haven't seen enough of clever impersonator to judge him well for instance. Anyone try seeker of the way? Assume it runs into similar problems as delver in cube. And commander! Haven't pulled the trigger on things like dualcaster or malicious affliction; how have some of those done? Ob Nixilis better than the uninspiring Bloodgift?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Dualcaster is pretty insane for either copying your own burn spells or copying the opponent's whatever (best use I ever got from him so far was copying an opposing Sphinx's Rev).

I have Clever Impersonator in my cube because there are so many more interesting things to copy than creatures.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

There are insane auto-includes in Khans! Sarkhan, Monastery Swiftspear, Clever Impersonator, Seeker of the Way and Dig Through Time are so, so good. Treasure Cruise is worth inclusion if you have lots of spells, cantrips and fetches. Murderous Cut can be a great control / midrange spell. Some like Wingmate Roc , though I'm not a fan.

In C14 there are a few notables: Flesh Carver is now one of the best black 3 drops in cube. Containment Priest has insane synergy with other cards but thoroughly hoses some decks if you don't want a hate-bear that powerful. I'm a big fan of Hallowed Spiritkeeper over Mirror Entity for resilience through wrath effects. Flamekin Village is great, and can come in untapped via Mulldrifter, Reivellark, Shriekmaw and Titania - Titania makes fetches, Armageddon and the GW deck in general much stronger. Deretti is great if you have the artifact deck and Freyalise is a pretty solid naturalize / mana dork engine. Unstable Obelisk which easily replaces Worn Powerstone (for me) in that it provides an awesome removal engine (Sun Titan, Welder, Deretti).

Null1fy fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 13, 2014

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Am I imagining things or did they pull the phantom legacy cube draft from MTGO? I can't find it in the queue anywhere.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Anony Mouse posted:

Am I imagining things or did they pull the phantom legacy cube draft from MTGO? I can't find it in the queue anywhere.

It went down Wednesday. Holiday cube comes back this Wednesday.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Now that we've had a good amount of time with khans what are people's thoughts on the cards? Haven't seen enough of clever impersonator to judge him well for instance. Anyone try seeker of the way? Assume it runs into similar problems as delver in cube. And commander! Haven't pulled the trigger on things like dualcaster or malicious affliction; how have some of those done? Ob Nixilis better than the uninspiring Bloodgift?

I play the following Khans cards in my 450 powered cube:

Wingmate Roc
Clever Impersonator
Dig Through Time
Bloodsoaked Champion
War-Name Aspirant
Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Swiftspear, Seeker and Cruise were all cut after testing.

I play the following Commander 2014 cards in my 450 powered cube:

Hallowed Spiritkeeper
Flesh Carver
Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
Feldon of the Third Path
Daretti, Scrap Savant
Titania, Protector of Argoth
Song of the Dryads

Dualcaster, Affliction and Freyalise were all cut after testing.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
You cut Seeker? Holy crap that card is good and versatile, you crazy son.

I guess it's a white fast bear that has neither ETB effects nor is particularly suited for raw aggro, so it can have trouble finding an archtype, but the thing is it's huge for simply surviving until your archtype starts firing while being a legit threat in its own right. Fantastic card especially in WB midrange-type builds.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

I Love You! posted:

I guess it's a white fast bear that has neither ETB effects nor is particularly suited for raw aggro, so it can have trouble finding an archtype, but the thing is it's huge for simply surviving until your archtype starts firing while being a legit threat in its own right. Fantastic card especially in WB midrange-type builds.

In the online Legacy cube, it's really sweet in the white weenie crusade deck, and all-around a pretty decent bear.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I Love You! posted:

It was bad. Have little control over when the card is better than a bear. Sometimes it was sweet because you got to bash for 3 and gain some life, but in the cases where I needed to be in control of the trigger, it was inconsistent and spent a lot of time as a grizzly bears. Knight of Meadowgrain's first strike ability more than made up for randomly being a 3/3 (2 power and first strike is good for combat in the cube) and the fact that it always has lifelink makes it a much better card at calculating races and recovering against red. Sometimes Seeker is awesome, and sometimes it's garbage, and that's just not what I was looking for in any of my white decks. Additionally, the guaranteed lifegain off Lone Missionary (and the ability to abuse the trigger with a variety of different effects) made it also better and more more consistent for the cube than Seeker was.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

WhiteWolf123 posted:

It was bad. Have little control over when the card is better than a bear. Sometimes it was sweet because you got to bash for 3 and gain some life, but in the cases where I needed to be in control of the trigger, it was inconsistent and spent a lot of time as a grizzly bears. Knight of Meadowgrain's first strike ability more than made up for randomly being a 3/3 (2 power and first strike is good for combat in the cube) and the fact that it always has lifelink makes it a much better card at calculating races and recovering against red. Sometimes Seeker is awesome, and sometimes it's garbage, and that's just not what I was looking for in any of my white decks. Additionally, the guaranteed lifegain off Lone Missionary (and the ability to abuse the trigger with a variety of different effects) made it also better and more more consistent for the cube than Seeker was.

Seeker is best in 2-color decks though, as a gateway to midrange that has value later as well. If you're playing an almost entirely monocolored cube I can see it losing value but I think it's generally agreed it's an excellent 2drop in most cubes for what it does.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I cut all of the double white 2 drops in my cube because the mono-white deck is hardly ever drafted. Or, when it is, it splashes red leading to sometimes inconsistent mana draw. Seeker is a fine replacement for Meadowgrain if you want something similar.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I don't play Knight either, but the point was that it was comparable with that card. I do think that the guaranteed lifegain trigger and the ETB abuse puts Lone Missionary ahead of it though. Missionary destroyed Seeker in a head-to-head performance competition, actually.

quote:

I think it's generally agreed it's an excellent 2drop in most cubes for what it does.

By whom? It's a pretty rare inclusion for tight powered lists. It's fine in the new Legacy cube, which is big, unpowered and has an intentionally low powerlevel, but I wouldn't play it anywhere else. I did play it, actually, and needed to cut it because it was bad.

I think it's generally agreed that it's an okay filler 2-drop for larger unpowered lists.

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 14, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Another Holiday Cube another overwhelming urge to draft a workshop deck.
I managed to wheel a Crucible from a pack with Strip Mine.
:getin:

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

Another Holiday Cube another overwhelming urge to draft a workshop deck.
I managed to wheel a Crucible from a pack with Strip Mine.
:getin:

Crucible is generally undervalued in cube drafts. I love that card, and there's tons of ways to gain big value from that card.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Crucible is generally undervalued in cube drafts. I love that card, and there's tons of ways to gain big value from that card.

I feel like it's only worth playing with strip mine, and even then it's not really worth going out of your way for when there are so many other 2 card combos that actually win the game on the spot. Whenever I take it, I never see strip mine, and whenever I pass it, strip mine is in the next pack :suicide:.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I feel like it's only worth playing with strip mine, and even then it's not really worth going out of your way for when there are so many other 2 card combos that actually win the game on the spot. Whenever I take it, I never see strip mine, and whenever I pass it, strip mine is in the next pack :suicide:.

Crucible has a few other good uses, like using it to hit your land drops every turn with a fetch or to pull back manlands or recover from Armageddons, the main problem is that these things are rarely crucial.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I Love You! posted:

Crucible has a few other good uses, like using it to hit your land drops every turn with a fetch or to pull back manlands or recover from Armageddons, the main problem is that these things are rarely crucial.

Maybe if there's a cube with a sub-theme of cards that have uses when you sac lands to them.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I feel like it's only worth playing with strip mine...

And I love cubing with people that value it this way. Because it's great with a bunch more cards than just Strip Mine, and I'm always stoked to abuse it. It's value-town all over the place.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The card I really need to start abusing is Life from the Loam. Man, that card is an incredible, slow, one-card engine.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Crucible is an all time favorite cube card for me.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I Love You! posted:

The card I really need to start abusing is Life from the Loam. Man, that card is an incredible, slow, one-card engine.

I like Loam quite a bit too. It's too meh on its own, but if it's used in conjunction with all the stuff that Crucible likes too, it can get out of hand over the regular course of a game.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

In my cube, Crucible is especially ridiculous because I play cards as they read and run Scorched Ruins and Lotus Vale

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A lot of my friends are intrigued by the Cube but a lot of these people also haven't played Magic since ~2004. That means they don't know about stack rules, Planeswalkers etc, not to mention the Cube format in general can be a bit overwhelming.Do you think it's condescending/patronizing to type up a little archetype breakdown briefly explaining what the ones I support do and some cards to look for, along with some words on how PW work. I ask because I played with a super casual player last night who is a close friend and felt bad when he ran his 3-color durdles into Stax. It ended up being a learning experience since he asked me to show him how I'd build the deck (and actually beat me with a more streamlined version of Superfriends he accidentally drafted, though he did try to attack with a 14 loyalty Karn at one point). If they didn't care I probably wouldn't but they all seem to want to get how Cube works. Thoughts?

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

weekly font posted:

A lot of my friends are intrigued by the Cube but a lot of these people also haven't played Magic since ~2004. That means they don't know about stack rules, Planeswalkers etc, not to mention the Cube format in general can be a bit overwhelming.Do you think it's condescending/patronizing to type up a little archetype breakdown briefly explaining what the ones I support do and some cards to look for, along with some words on how PW work. I ask because I played with a super casual player last night who is a close friend and felt bad when he ran his 3-color durdles into Stax. It ended up being a learning experience since he asked me to show him how I'd build the deck (and actually beat me with a more streamlined version of Superfriends he accidentally drafted, though he did try to attack with a 14 loyalty Karn at one point). If they didn't care I probably wouldn't but they all seem to want to get how Cube works. Thoughts?

Why not ask them that? We aren't your friends, random magic guy! But my playgroup has asked me to write up a summary of key cards in early packs to look for and what archetypes cards best fall into, so it isn't an entirely unique thing with your friends in that cube can be difficult to assess without intimate knowledge of every card and it's optima interactions.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
Out of the ~10 people in my playgroup, only around 3 of them actually read my write-up, and I don't think any of them changed their habits based on the information I presented. That said, the reason I wrote mine up (link) was because it's difficult to get meaningful feedback on a non "greatest-hits" list unless you provide a lot of context on what you're going for and what kinds of cards you're interested in. Having it online allows you to link it for feedback in forums or on twitter, and it's useful to send it to any new players that join up and wonder.

My list is heavily multicolor and you're going to end up 3-4 colors, drafting around synergies instead of generic value guys. It's been sort of a KTK-draft feel, a little less morph, easier to get fixing, and some fun top-end cards. Easier to get meaning that you can consistently get ~6 pieces of fixing for your 3 color deck without having to prioritize it, which allows you to confidently open a sweet 3-color build-around card and feel confident you'll make the mana work. The design constraints I'm following (I glossed over the specifics) means I'm interested in a much more narrow set of cards. The writeup helps frame what kind of effect I'm interested in, and I've gotten some good feedback as a result.

I'm prepping for my 3rd 8-seat session, and have been really happy with the list. My playgroup has been really excited to draft it, and it's been really rewarding since this is the first time I'm done a list from scratch. Previously, I took other people's lists and tweaked.

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 27, 2014

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Lurchington posted:

I'm prepping for my 3rd 8-seat session, and have been really happy with the list. My playgroup has been really excited to draft it, and it's been really rewarding since this is the first time I'm done a list from scratch. Previously, I took other people's lists and tweaked.

Neat list - I always enjoy people's designs. The color and guild balance looks great but the only decks that you can draft seem like durdley midrange.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
one thing that I like about KTK and Rise of the Eldrazi is that they are a touch or two slower than Gatecrash or Zendikar. In that sense, it's weighted a bit more midrange than those sets.

But, when I think of durdley midrange, what I think of is:
- pile a bunch of good stuff together
- going bigger is always better
- stall the board and takeover through activated abilities/planeswalkers long after everyone is topdecking

those are the three things I've gone through and killed whenever they're cropping up. There are no planeswalkers or "repetitive gameplay" things like merfolk looter for example.

There's dedicated aggro decks:
- boros tokens
- low curve gruul
- grixis tempo

these are aggressive in the sense that they are trying to end the game before their opponent can deploy all their cards

there's dedicated control decks:
- esper
- jund

these are controlling in the sense that they want to 1-for-1 with some early defensive speed, catch up when they've weathered the storm, and then shut the door on the game.

there are a lot of high-synergy "combo" decks that have a really strong endgame if they're left alone
- "Spider Spawning" self-mill
- abzan counter lords

not that I took that as an insult or anything, still just excited to talk about my list

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I was drinking with some relatively new friends last night and talking about our past gaming experiences and other nerdy stuff, and we found out none of us have played magic since 2001-2002 and some of them still have a crave for drafting. Unfortunately, we don't have any cards left and not that much disposable income to do regular booster draft sessions, so I've been thinking we could try this. Building a cheapass (or even a powered one with proxies) cube from scratch would be doable? Also, we just don't have enough people to do 8-man drafts, it's possible to draft with less people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angry Lobster posted:

I was drinking with some relatively new friends last night and talking about our past gaming experiences and other nerdy stuff, and we found out none of us have played magic since 2001-2002 and some of them still have a crave for drafting. Unfortunately, we don't have any cards left and not that much disposable income to do regular booster draft sessions, so I've been thinking we could try this. Building a cheapass (or even a powered one with proxies) cube from scratch would be doable? Also, we just don't have enough people to do 8-man drafts, it's possible to draft with less people?

I actually prefer cube drafting with 6. Theoretically you can draft with as few as four but it's really pretty miserable to go lower than 6.