Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

ahahaha jesus christ dude that is just great... just super... saiyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
late but why on earth does uber use semi-private discount codes to give their employee discount instead of an account flag

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

A pro-click

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Thesoro posted:

late but why on earth does uber use semi-private discount codes to give their employee discount instead of an account flag

umm i think if you'll read again above it's pretty clear it's so they have a good excuse to fire their contractors or w/e

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Thesoro posted:

given the way uber operates it's surprising they didn't just have interns monitoring "god mode" and applying the discount in real time

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
everything i've read about uber indicates it's least as idiotic technologically as it is culturally and legally

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thesoro posted:

everything i've read about uber indicates it's least as idiotic technologically as it is culturally and legally

I bet they use (ugh) php

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

liquidfire posted:

ahahaha jesus christ dude that is just great... just super... saiyan.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

every once in a while a line from this pops into my head during the day and i just start giggling uncontrollably.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Thesoro posted:

probably because they already have a discount code feature but not a account flag feature idk

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

probably because they already have a discount code feature but not a account flag feature idk

but how do they differentiate drivers from customers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Also, the reason you have no common social place to meet up in SV is because SV is a commercial/subburban poo poo hole that involves driving ANYWHERE and nerds are both asocial and lazy.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

but how do they differentiate drivers from customers

it sounds like they're completely separate classes of users with completely separate apps.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ultramiraculous posted:

it sounds like they're completely separate classes of users with completely separate apps.

yeah last i heard drivers have their own company-issued locked-down iphones (that they have to pay for) that run the driver app

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah uber issues drivers car phones because apple won't certify their app for the app store because it's a giant piece of poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bassguitarhero posted:

Yeah uber issues drivers car phones because apple won't certify their app for the app store because it's a giant piece of poo poo.

is that the real reason? :laffo:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
i would like to pretend the reason is that drivers run the same app, they just get a -100% discount

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I've had the extreme misfortune of inadvertently meeting one of these people

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm "p sure" you can use your own phone for uber. i'm in two beta tests that let me install iphone apps from websites and i have no idea how that poo poo works. i don't even remember giving anybody my iphone uuid

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
ya there is a setting to allow non App Store apps

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

As a Millennial I posted:

i'm "p sure" you can use your own phone for uber. i'm in two beta tests that let me install iphone apps from websites and i have no idea how that poo poo works. i don't even remember giving anybody my iphone uuid

testflight lets you just use your email addy

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
i think it's mostly that the device is managed so they can force updates and pull the plug when you get terminated for using the wrong discount code

their app is apparently lovely though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I've had the extreme misfortune of inadvertently meeting one of these people

franklin?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

akadajet posted:

franklin?

I wish :smith:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

this isn't even an open secret, Americans love treating each other like poo poo.

americans have to be better than their neighbor, unless their neighbor looks like them. if not, open season

carry on then posted:

lol this country treats its employees like criminals now

more like lol this country treats its citizens like criminals now

qirex posted:

I had to go to atlanta for a work thing and was creeped out by how much "the help" attitude was prevalent

idgi

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

americans have to be better than their neighbor, unless their neighbor looks like them. if not, open season

what's awesome is if you have black neighbors who are exactly as affluent as you (or maybe slightly below - account for the larger childcount) because this means that they will be extra good community members due to the charm of their unique achievement

colloquially this is referred to as being "friend of the family rich" and is strongly associated with the patriarch having a fondness for sweaters

but if they are too far outside of the prevalent affluency then property values will suffer

and yes this includes being too wealthy - my hometown had master p move in to one of the country club neighborhoods and the city council jumped right up his rear end about every little thing including the gigantic golden tank that he wanted on his roof (he ended up mounting it in the pool instead of over the front door)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what's awesome is if you have black neighbors who are exactly as affluent as you (or maybe slightly below - account for the larger childcount) because this means that they will be extra good community members due to the charm of their unique achievement

colloquially this is referred to as being "friend of the family rich" and is strongly associated with the patriarch having a fondness for sweaters

but if they are too far outside of the prevalent affluency then property values will suffer

and yes this includes being too wealthy - my hometown had master p move in to one of the country club neighborhoods and the city council jumped right up his rear end about every little thing including the gigantic golden tank that he wanted on his roof (he ended up mounting it in the pool instead of over the front door)
hahahahaha
that motherfucker and his tanks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

hahahahaha
that motherfucker and his tanks

the guy that did his tiling also did my mom's house and showed us the pictures

it is exactly as gaudy as you would expect

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

I had to go to atlanta for a work thing and was creeped out by how much "the help" attitude was prevalent

uh, so people act like the (predominantly not-white) service industry employees are below them? basically pretend people itt were referring to their postmates people as "food slaves" even less ironically.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ultramiraculous posted:

uh, so people act like the (predominantly not-white) service industry employees are below them? basically pretend people itt were referring to their postmates people as "food slaves" even less ironically.

oh

the blood-boiling poo poo

some fucker was doing this at the bodega earlier i should have stuck around after my transaction (i let the employees know i was put-off from fucker as well)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol if you don't dine regularly at restaurants that have bathroom attendants and just backhand towels into their faces without looking up from your phone

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

colloquially this is referred to as being "friend of the family rich"

no it isn't

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

at the date posted:

no it isn't

look at the yankee we got here

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol if you live in the south, just lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

look at the yankee we got here

it's when your Cadillac is worth more than your house.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BONGHITZ posted:

lol if you live in the south, just lol

hey now the south is p cool if your fam knows people and has money and you just plain don't give a gently caress about poors

i hear that in other places you actually hafta qualify your poors by using the term white trash which is just sad imo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PuTTY riot posted:

it's when your Cadillac is worth more than your house.

or the soundsystem in your pontiac

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

friend of mine whose husband works for Facebook flew to New Orleans for a "plantation" style wedding got so upset at the way the staff and guests were treating the black servers that she got up and left and everyone got mad at her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bassguitarhero posted:

friend of mine whose husband works for Facebook flew to New Orleans for a "plantation" style wedding got so upset at the way the staff and guests were treating the black servers that she got up and left and everyone got mad at her

let me see if i have any pictures that i can post from the last plantation wedding that i attended

it was at houmas house which was the largest plantation on the mississippi back when you could still own people as farm equipment

the "men's entertainment room" had a pool table which had legs that were carved into black men holding it up

i might've played a game or two on it

• Locked thread