Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Had a scare today...

Someone veered into my lane and I got forced over to the far left section of the lane.

I got forced into a giant rear end hole in the ground surrounding a manhole that was about 4 inches deep. I almost fell off the bike, but I held steady, but the drop was so bad that my bars shifted down on the riser and bent.

Best part I only installed the bars a month ago.

I guess its back to either bent GS500 stock bars, or bent Bikemaster Euro bars. :chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minkee posted:

Had a scare today...

Someone veered into my lane and I got forced over to the far left section of the lane.

I got forced into a giant rear end hole in the ground surrounding a manhole that was about 4 inches deep. I almost fell off the bike, but I held steady, but the drop was so bad that my bars shifted down on the riser and bent.

Best part I only installed the bars a month ago.

I guess its back to either bent GS500 stock bars, or bent Bikemaster Euro bars. :chanpop:

One of the reasons why I'm switching to an MX bar on my GS500.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

http://imgur.com/pCZQzBg

I was on King George turning onto Abercorn. I wasn't trying to go all super knee dragging low, I just leaned into the turn and next thing I knew I lost traction. Really stupid on my part but atleast the damages were minor.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 13, 2014

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Skreemer posted:

One of the reasons why I'm switching to an MX bar on my GS500.

I was considering doing exactly the same thing. Did you use protaper bars?

advion
Jul 25, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I commuted in Flagstaff, Az on Dunlop Q2s through the ice and snow. It was hilarious how just coming off the throttle too quick would let you back the bike in to corners. I shoulda binned that bike. :allears:

I have nothing constructive to add aside from that being my hometown. :-D

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minkee posted:

I was considering doing exactly the same thing. Did you use protaper bars?

Buying it this Monday at a local shop. Yeah I was wanting to go to a pro-taper bar, I think I'm stuck with the stock 7/8's (meaning it'll have a cross bar) though because the top triple has the bar clamp built in.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

advion posted:

I have nothing constructive to add aside from that being my hometown. :-D

Quoting for about the same, the riding season there is probably part of why it took me so long to consider bieks.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
A cmra instructor once told me a long and drawn out story about how he sold a bike with a bent handlebar (you guessed it, pre gen Ninja 250) to another racer and explicitly advised him not to race the bike with a bent bar. The guy raced the bike, crashed due to the bar breaking mid corner at race pace and died. :smith:

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY

Kaliber posted:

http://imgur.com/pCZQzBg

I was on King George turning onto Abercorn. I wasn't trying to go all super knee dragging low, I just leaned into the turn and next thing I knew I lost traction. Really stupid on my part but atleast the damages were minor.

Hopefully you're not too sore. What were you riding, conditions, traffic etc. Any clues what you think led to lowsiding?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

dictionar.com posted:

Hopefully you're not too sore. What were you riding, conditions, traffic etc. Any clues what you think led to lowsiding?

I was on my Street Triple, it was 9am, 30 something degrees, work being done off the side of the road and barely any traffic.

What led to the lowslide? Pure stupidity. I had my motorcycle shipped over from Hawaii. The only thing I did after getting my motorcycle was tightening down all the bolts, oil change and filled up my gas. Did not check tire pressure, which was dangerously low. Front was 22PSI, rear was 20 PSI. Jesus Christ how the hell did I miss that? It was one of those things that I didn't think about until the I was riding around on it some more and everything just felt off until that popped into my head.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Hard to fault you for being excited to ride! Seems like you made it out ok, sad to drop as nice a bike as that but at least it's super solid. You should try riding a piece of poo poo instead, if having a nice bike makes dropping it more of a concern I feel like mine has built in anti gravity. Also good to be able to look at your slide out and find something to improve going forward.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Stationary drop in a steep driveway - overbalanced it away from me as I was trying to move it. Managed to lower it more than drop, but still broke the rubber 'boot' of my indicator stalk.

New one purchased via eBay for $50 with free express shipping. Black duct tape to hide it for the time being and make sure I don't get a vehicle defect sticker if Mr Plod notices it.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

DrakIris posted:

Quoting for about the same, the riding season there is probably part of why it took me so long to consider bieks.

We rode a lot of dirtbikes and quads at cinder hills as I grew up across the street from it basically. But yeah that's why I never considered a street bike until a few years ago although I moved to Syracuse, NY and the season is even shorter. :(

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

advion posted:

We rode a lot of dirtbikes and quads at cinder hills as I grew up across the street from it basically. But yeah that's why I never considered a street bike until a few years ago although I moved to Syracuse, NY and the season is even shorter. :(

I wish I got into dirtbikes I was within walking distance of the cinder lake OHV area, family was flat-loving-broke and it never crossed my mind after I started working myself. I kinda want to move back towards the southwest, I'm reaaally not a fan of Austin.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Drinking in the pool on Sunday listening to the sounds of some dipshit hooning around residential streets. All of a sudden, screech-bang-crunch.

Everyone hops out of the pool and looks over the fence out towards the road. There's some dipshit trying to lift their motorbike back up - they get it up, and then it overbalances and falls the other way with another crunch. So they try pulling it up from the opposite side, stumbles around and tries lifting it again and fucks around for ages before finally managing to get it upright. It was during this we realise he's drunk as poo poo. Not only that, but he's shirtless, helmetless and wearing nothing but skate shoes and shorts.

So the good Samaritans that we are, we go over to check to make sure he's not going to die (I'm certified first aid, and my girlfriend's brother is a certified emergency responder on mine sites). He's dripping blood from all over, scrapes, dings and just generally missing nice patches of skin. His friends have arrived by car and are helping him wheel the totalled bike back to the house a few hundred metres away.

The bike is a write-off. Recent year Hyosung GT250R, both of the handlebars are snapped, levers also snapped, front wheel looks wonky in forks, cracks and roadrash on the left hand plastics. According to the rider he panic braked as a car came past in the opposite direction, locked up the front and went rear end-over-tit over the bars and after he came off, the bike went down and slammed into the box kerb.

:bravo:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

crowtribe posted:

The bike is a write-off. Recent year Hyosung GT250R

At least nothing important got hurt too badly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

crowtribe posted:

Drinking in the pool on Sunday listening to the sounds of some dipshit hooning around residential streets. All of a sudden, screech-bang-crunch.

Everyone hops out of the pool and looks over the fence out towards the road. There's some dipshit trying to lift their motorbike back up - they get it up, and then it overbalances and falls the other way with another crunch. So they try pulling it up from the opposite side, stumbles around and tries lifting it again and fucks around for ages before finally managing to get it upright. It was during this we realise he's drunk as poo poo. Not only that, but he's shirtless, helmetless and wearing nothing but skate shoes and shorts.

So the good Samaritans that we are, we go over to check to make sure he's not going to die (I'm certified first aid, and my girlfriend's brother is a certified emergency responder on mine sites). He's dripping blood from all over, scrapes, dings and just generally missing nice patches of skin. His friends have arrived by car and are helping him wheel the totalled bike back to the house a few hundred metres away.

The bike is a write-off. Recent year Hyosung GT250R, both of the handlebars are snapped, levers also snapped, front wheel looks wonky in forks, cracks and roadrash on the left hand plastics. According to the rider he panic braked as a car came past in the opposite direction, locked up the front and went rear end-over-tit over the bars and after he came off, the bike went down and slammed into the box kerb.

:bravo:

All I got from this was 'STRAYA :australia:

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I dried myself off with a paperbark tree, chucked my double-pluggers on and sculled the last of my tinny before legging it out into the arvo sun to take a geez at this drongo.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Woonta got involved, less he was a proper Bikie like Jock and Snoddy...

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Whelp, here are some pics from my hit and run this morning.
I was stopped at a red light when I was rear ended by a man who I suspect was probably drinking.

http://imgur.com/a/O078B

The crash occurred at about 3:20 A.M. while I was on my way to work. The man checked to see that I was ok, but once I started talking about insurance and such he bolted.

Luckily I did get a pic of his license plate and had a few witnesses to back me up. I don't yet know if they caught the guy.
No less than three different motorcyclist stopped to check up on me and one turned out to be a neighbor of mine so that was pretty cool.

My gear is surprisingly fine with the exception of one scratch on my brand new Dianese pants. I might put up pics of them later.

As for me, I'm doing pretty well actually, managed to walk away with only a sore shoulder.
I was wearing a Shoe RF-1100, Joe Rocket phoenix 5.0 jacket with some dirtbike armor underneath, Dianese Tempest D-Dry Pants, A* SP-2 gloves, and Cortech Latigo boots
and was wearing an A* commuter backpack.

Debugario fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 2, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yeah at that hour drunk is probably right. I bet he was starting right at your tail light wondering what the hell it was until the very last second. Drunks are funny that way.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

I actually remember seeing him in my mirror and flashed my brake lights a couple of times. Next thing I know I'm lying face down on the ground with no memory of the actual collision.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Definitely go get checked out (if you haven't already!) if you have no memory of the collision, just in case.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Debugario posted:

I actually remember seeing him in my mirror and flashed my brake lights a couple of times. Next thing I know I'm lying face down on the ground with no memory of the actual collision.

When you go through the insurance (yours or his) remember to claim any and all gear that got used/ruined. Usually for bikes they don't cover just the bike but all the gear too.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

I'm going to call my doctor in the morning, some neck and back pain started creeping up on me after I woke up from a nap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucksakes. gently caress people. Better get to the doctor ASAP.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Seriously, go get checked out immediately. Brain injuries can sneak up on you.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah it's cool. Blackmk4 had a nurse friend who said he was fine so no worries, no reason to head to the hospital.

Go to the hospital.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I laughed when I read the call out there. Yeah, go to the hospital.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
How's your brain?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I had a concussion, I ended up fine. I had weird pressure in my sinus for a few days after the crash, some issues with short term memory for about a week, etc. Go to the fuckin' hospital, don't be me.

Debugario posted:

I'm going to call my doctor in the morning, some neck and back pain started creeping up on me after I woke up from a nap.
The next week is going to suck for you, dude. It all sets in like two days afterwards. :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 2, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hit a fat patch of sand exploring a potholed old asphalt backcountry road this morning - washed out the front and lowsided about 15-20mph. I'm pretty sure I rolled off throttle and tried to turn around it when I saw the sand. Hit the killswitch, jumped up, righted the bike, checked everything out and rode away. Supermoto supremacy. My first wipeout, ~3yrs and two bieks since I started riding :v:

Gear did it's job just fine. Not a scratch on me, although my left hip will probably feel the impact tomorrow:

Aside from my rear left blinker lense popping off, the handguard slider took the entirety of the damage:

I was more pissed I had turned off the gopro thirty seconds earlier :sigh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hit a fat patch of sand exploring a potholed old asphalt backcountry road this morning - washed out the front and lowsided about 15-20mph. I'm pretty sure I rolled off throttle and tried to turn around it when I saw the sand. Hit the killswitch, jumped up, righted the bike, checked everything out and rode away. Supermoto supremacy. My first wipeout, ~3yrs and two bieks since I started riding :v:

Gear did it's job just fine. Not a scratch on me, although my left hip will probably feel the impact tomorrow:

Aside from my rear left blinker lense popping off, the handguard slider took the entirety of the damage:

I was more pissed I had turned off the gopro thirty seconds earlier :sigh:

Glad you're alright. What's the knee armor? Just Dainese pads over regular pants? I'm considering doing the same. How'd it hold up?

Debugario posted:

How are you doing? They catch the fucker?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Glad you're alright. What's the knee armor? Just Dainese pads over regular pants? I'm considering doing the same. How'd it hold up?

Yeah these here. Generally if I go for a ride I have full overpants I wear, but I had spent the night at my girlfriend's and only had my convenient short commute gear. They held up fine and are still good to go. I was always a bit concerned they would twist off in the event of a crash, but at least at this speed they stayed in place despite the teeth of the old asphalt. I like them a lot; they go on and off in a few seconds (velcro) and are super comfortable even when walking.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Chichevache posted:

How are you doing? They catch the fucker?

I'm doing well, doctor says I'm fine just to take it easy for a little while. cops still have not caught the guy as far as I can tell.

Mostly just focusing on trying to get back on two wheels again. Thank you for asking :)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah these here. Generally if I go for a ride I have full overpants I wear, but I had spent the night at my girlfriend's and only had my convenient short commute gear. They held up fine and are still good to go. I was always a bit concerned they would twist off in the event of a crash, but at least at this speed they stayed in place despite the teeth of the old asphalt. I like them a lot; they go on and off in a few seconds (velcro) and are super comfortable even when walking.

That's exactly what I am looking for. ~♤♡♢♧reasons♧♢♡♤~ but I'm sacrificing safety for comfort since I don't have a reasonably convenient place to put overpants. I was looking at those exact ones, but I hesitated because I had your same concern. Guess I have an excuse to throw more money at Dainese. :homebrew:

Debugario posted:

I'm doing well, doctor says I'm fine just to take it easy for a little while. cops still have not caught the guy as far as I can tell.

Mostly just focusing on trying to get back on two wheels again. Thank you for asking :)

Awesome. Sounds like you just have a bunch of bruising and soreness then, instead of damage? That's fortunate.

You might want to consider calling their offices (or if you got a business card from the officer who responded to your accident, even better) and requesting info.

Edit
By the way, if you have any pictures of how your gear held up, I'd love to see them. I'm always interested in seeing how well each bit of gear stands up to a crash.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 7, 2015

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Chichevache posted:

By the way, if you have any pictures of how your gear held up, I'd love to see them. I'm always interested in seeing how well each bit of gear stands up to a crash.

The only things I've noticed are a couple scuffs on my helmet and a small tear along the left forearm on my jacket.

http://imgur.com/a/AYB80

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Debugario posted:

The only things I've noticed are a couple scuffs on my helmet and a small tear along the left forearm on my jacket.

http://imgur.com/a/AYB80

Huh, that's an interesting tear to the jacket. Do you know how far you flew?:stare:

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Huh, that's an interesting tear to the jacket. Do you know how far you flew?:stare:

Not really, I know the bike was a couple feet in front of me, but I don't remember the collision itself, just the few moments before it and then when I came to I was on the ground already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Ouch!

Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!

Obviously I,didn't want yo have to post here, but, I reckon its the best place for feedback.

I've had a few days to reflect and while the old, guy hosed up, the bigger gently caress was my speed, ..., it killed my chance to anticipate.

I deal with the same poo poo most days just fine, but, my being tired and having jangly nerves on the day meant I was going too quick. I saw what he was doing and I didn't have time or space to react.

So regardless of his decision making process, I have to wear my own responsibility.

Apparently, I was retrieved from under an SUV heading in the opposite direction. With that in mind, I never doubted my investments in a Schuberth C3 Helmet, the Fieldsheer leather jacket with elbow, shoulder and spine armour (bought via CA) and my scruffy but comfy Miendl GTX boots.

Choppy dashcam from the SUV. I'll add a better quality version if one becomes available, CCTV too, again if/when it becomes available. I'll be honest when I say that my injuries feel a hell of a lot worse than that video suggests. Or maybe, I'm just a precious, delicate flower.

Dash cam: http://1drv.ms/1E18ITi

I wasn't initially sure if the dent on the gas tank is from a car wheel, or if it is the impression left by my thigh as physics suggested that I vacate my seat in favor decelerating over different locations.

2 x :nms: Pics below
http://i.imgur.com/kzhtIFj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Vs4v81y.jpg

The CT scan shows a jet black area on the top right. That's a partially collapsed lung where air escaped the lung membrane on impact.

I'm back up and about and largely able to move around a bit, any and all feedback is welcome.

• Locked thread