Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I will give sedanchair that dubya is smarter than common perception but he' still nowhere near the level he ascribes to Bush.

I just realized if Jeb Bush was running Dubya could be his campaign manager :stare:

Ohhhhh shiiiiiit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SedanChair posted:

I just realized if Jeb Bush was running Dubya could be his campaign manager :stare:

Ohhhhh shiiiiiit

Were were robbed of the Dubya v. Bubba head-to-head in 2000, now it's time for redemption.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Chamale posted:

Were were robbed of the Dubya v. Bubba head-to-head in 2000, now it's time for redemption.

W took on Iraq for daddy, no reason Jeb can't take on the Clintons for daddy too.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I really want the next presidental election to be Bush/Clinton II. It would be magical.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys are underestimating Jeb. He's no dumb dumb like his brother and as Florida governors go wasn't a spectacularly horrible governor in a pretty big swing state.

As far as sharing the name, it's a bit like a new Rocky, Alien, Jurassic Park or Terminator movie. No, no. This time it'll be really great! We have a new director!

Yes, over 10 years ago. Jeb hasn't been politically relevant since Barack Obama was elected Senator, and he's refused to distance himself or disparage his idiot brother's administration in any way. The comparisons will happen--because they are inevitable.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chamale posted:

Dubya v. Bubba

With a title this catchy, you could seriously sell a PPV of a Lincoln-Douglas style debate between them.

And you know who's waiting in the wings, ready to moderate... :newt:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
America is getting a second helping of Santorum.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...c1f7_story.html

quote:

Rick Santorum is running for president again — and says this time will be different

Rick Santorum won primaries and caucuses in 11 states in 2012, coming in a respectable second in the GOP presidential primary season. And Republicans have a history of bestowing their nomination on the next guy in line, usually an also-ran from the last contest.

Yet the former senator from Pennsylvania is rarely mentioned in the already feverish pre-game 2016 chatter among the political commentariat and the donor class.

That’s just the way he likes it. Or so he says.

“America loves an underdog. We’re definitely the underdog in this race,” he said in an interview Tuesday. Santorum added that being underestimated — again — “has given me a lot of latitude.”

His iconic sweater vests will likely make a return appearance. But Santorum 2.0 will be a very different presidential campaign than the one that came from almost nowhere to win the Iowa caucuses in an overtime decision, he vows.

“I get the game,” Santorum said.

Where he had to build his operation from the ground up in 2012, Santorum now has a grass-roots operation called Patriot Voices, which boasts 150,000 activists across the country. Its current push, an online petition drive to oppose President Obama’s recent executive action on immigration, has generated what Santorum strategist John Brabender says are “30,000 new e-mail relationships.”

Whether Santorum can raise the money he needs is another question. Foster Friess, the benefactor who ponied up $2.1 million to a pro-Santorum super PAC in 2012, says he would support him again. The former senator is sounding out other deep-pocketed donors, whom he declined to identify.

He is retooling his message, hoping to appeal beyond his socially conservative base and reach blue-collar voters who are being left behind in the economy.

“I don’t think I’ve met a ‘suit’ yet,” Santorum said of his travels around the country. “It’s very much heart of America, average Americans who have found a place where they see someone who will stand up and fight for them. If the Republican Party has a future — and I sometimes question if it does — it’s in middle America. It’s not in corporate America.”

That is a theme he has sounded for years, though it often got overlooked in the 2012 campaign, where most of the attention was on Santorum’s culture warrior credentials.

“Part of what I had to do last time was lay out my bona fides” on moral and social issues, Santorum said. “That’s done.”

At the same time, Santorum is likely to have more competition for the support of social conservatives than he did in the last campaign. Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, who won the Iowa caucuses in 2008 and retains a strong reservoir of support among evangelical voters, is considering another White House bid.

Santorum argues that the reemergence of immigration as an issue will work in his favor because he takes a tougher line than many other Republicans do.

“I take the approach that immigration policy in America ought to be about Americans,” he said. “The principal focus of immigration policy is not about the rest of the world. It’s about us.”

The former senator hopes to revive his profile in the coming months with a series of trips to the early-contest states of Iowa, South Carolina and New Hampshire.

Santorum and his wife, Karen, have also written a book, due out in February, about their family’s experiences since the birth of their daughter Bella, who has a rare, usually deadly genetic condition called Trisomy 18.

Reflecting on how a presidential campaign could be different this time around, Santorum said: “We’re just obviously in a better place right now. Our message will be a lot more focused this time than it was last time.”

Santorum is running again. The question is whether, as the race heads to new terrain, he’ll still be able to keep the pace.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Santorum is going to be interesting because his base of support is still the religious right, and they have been super pissed about collectively losing their asses over gay marriage. By 2016 it's exceedingly possible that the US will have gay marriage nationwide, so while the rest of the Republican party is gonna be wishing that Santorum and rest the religious right would please just shut the hell up about gays (because it's a losing issue for them), Santorum's campaign is instead gonna be kicking the religious stuff into high gear.

Also Santorum's "Google problem" is still going to be a legitimate issue in 2016, because Dan Savage truly is the greatest troll of all time.:allears:

Dan Savage, the greatest troll of all time posted:

san-TOR-um
N.
The frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex.
Seriously, the news networks actually reported on this when Santorum was the front-runner for a while.:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 13, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fade5 posted:

Seriously, the news networks actually reported on this when Santorum was the front-runner for a while.:allears:

"Santorum Surges As Romney Comes In Number Two" is a headline that may never be topped.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Praise the Lord almighty!

Last time, I didn't watch the GOP Primary debates, because I was a moron. I will not make the same mistake again.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Who's he hired for his run?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The fact that he's writing a book about his daughter reminds me that the last month of his 2012 primary campaign got complicated when she was hospitalized, ultimately causing him to stop campaigning because he was flying back every other day. It's surprising that she's still alive and that he's thinking of running again anyway.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Given the split within the Democratic ranks on the CRomnibus I think we may need a new thread title

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

The fact that he's writing a book about his daughter reminds me that the last month of his 2012 primary campaign got complicated when she was hospitalized, ultimately causing him to stop campaigning because he was flying back every other day. It's surprising that she's still alive and that he's thinking of running again anyway.

He probably took it as a sign from god that 2012 wasn't his year to run because Obama was destined to win through idolatrous trickery no matter who the Republicans put up. With Hillary running in 2016, jesus has spoken to Santorum through his daughter's illness and shown him the light, that suffering exists to test humanity and further god's ~mysterious plan~

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

He probably took it as a sign from god that 2012 wasn't his year to run because Obama was destined to win through idolatrous trickery no matter who the Republicans put up. With Hillary running in 2016, jesus has spoken to Santorum through his daughter's illness and shown him the light, that suffering exists to test humanity and further god's ~mysterious plan~

Judging by which Republicans God tells to run, he loves a good clusterfuck almost as much as we do.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gyges posted:

Judging by which Republicans God tells to run, he loves a good clusterfuck almost as much as we do.

by the time the debates rolled around last time, hadn't every candidate claimed that God had spoken to them directly and told them to run? Or were there holdouts?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Jeb Bush is going to form a Presidential Exploratory committee within the next month.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...0beb_story.html

Clinton vs. Bush 2.0 here we come.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 13, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jeb Bush is going to form a Presidential Exploratory committee within the next month.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...0beb_story.html

Clinton vs. Bush 2.0 here we come.

Bush v. Romney v. Santorum v. Newt v. Rauner v. Perry, here we come!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fried Chicken posted:

by the time the debates rolled around last time, hadn't every candidate claimed that God had spoken to them directly and told them to run? Or were there holdouts?

I can't imagine Mitt saying that because he wouldn't want to call attention to his Mormonism.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Only the Sky Admiral can save the Republicans now!

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

paragon1 posted:

Only the Sky Admiral can save the Republicans now!

No. We can ill afford another Klendathu.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

Fried Chicken posted:

Romney, Huntsman, Paul, Gingrich

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Bush v. Romney v. Santorum v. Newt v. Rauner v. Perry, here we come!

I saw Rauner and knew who had posted without having to look. (Nobody from Illinois is running for president any time soon, or getting on the ticket.)

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

CaptainCarrot posted:

I saw Rauner and knew who had posted without having to look. (Nobody from Illinois is running for president any time soon, or getting on the ticket.)

Joke is on you, Hillary is from Park Ridge.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CaptainCarrot posted:

$10,000 bet on that? $10,000 bet?

Someone from IL is getting on one of the two tickets.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My Imaginary GF posted:

$10,000 bet on that? $10,000 bet?

Someone from IL is getting on one of the two tickets.

I would take that $10,000 bet with no hesitation. Every pol from Illinois being on the short list is just a product of your fever dream MIGF. (Excluding the "rules don't say anything about a dog playing" weaseling because Hillary was born in IL.)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I would take that $10,000 bet with no hesitation. Every pol from Illinois being on the short list is just a product of your fever dream MIGF. (Excluding the "rules don't say anything about a dog playing" weaseling because Hillary was born in IL.)

Hillary is a native daughter from IL. I don't think Hillary being on the shortlist is a fever dream.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hillary is a native daughter from IL. I don't think Hillary being on the shortlist is a fever dream.

Hillary is not an Illinois politician in anyone's mind. Nobody considers Jeb Bush to be a Connecticut or Texan politician either.

Hillary was an elected official from New York.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a photo you'll see in a 2024 attack ad.

Michael Brown Sr., Kirsten Gillibrand, and Al Sharpton.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Here's a photo you'll see in a 2024 attack ad.

Michael Brown Sr., Kirsten Gillibrand, and Al Sharpton.

No one is going to remember who the hell Micheal Brown's dad is in a decade. Also Kirsten Gillibrand isn't gonna be running for president.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

No one is going to remember who the hell Micheal Brown's dad is in a decade. Also Kirsten Gillibrand isn't gonna be running for president.

They'll sure poo poo remember Sharpton, so any other black people in the shot serve to reinforce the "scary black men/race hustlers!" narrative.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Cliff Racer posted:

Also Kirsten Gillibrand isn't gonna be running for president.

Will you Toxx this?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fox has been running pieces on Vince Foster and Travelgate this year, so I'm not going to underestimate the memory of the right.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Anyone who puts "-gate" at the end of a political scandal that isn't watergate should be shot. For being an uncreative shitstain if nothing else.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

paragon1 posted:

Anyone who puts "-gate" at the end of a political scandal that isn't watergate should be shot. For being an uncreative shitstain if nothing else.

Yep! The correct addition is now -ghazi

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well at least it sounds less stupid.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Nobody whose legal home state is Illinois (I would be shocked if Clinton declared anything but New York) will be on either major ticket. Rauner, Emanuel, and Gutierrez will not be going for either spot on either ticket. It's an open question as to whether Emanuel will even be renominated for his current post.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rygar201 posted:

Will you Toxx this?

Why bother, no one is going to remember any Gillibrand toxx even four years from now.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

http://romneyready.com/

Yes yes yes ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Whose #ReadyForRomney?!

https://twitter.com/jesseberney/status/544325703563763712?s=09

EFB

Awful app doesn’t tell you new posts have been added since you opened the reply window, I see

• Locked thread