Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MJP posted:

In the Dom's case, there were a couple of colors to work with. I had to seamfill the black pauldrons and purple upper arm spheres. Both required just enough putty to fill and smooth out some spots.

The pauldrons were easy. Black. That was it.

The upper arm spheres, though, if you scroll up a bit to that picture, are a bit lighter purple than the lower arms. I may remix it and add just a little more black then paint it on a leftover bit of sprue to test, then paint over what's there - hence why I mention if you get the matches right you can get away with it.

But yeah, getting a full match means either a perfect mix or painting everything in a color to match. I'm hoping to avoid the "painting everything" part as best I can.

Never noticed the upper arm spheres were a different color, how you painted those, flows really well in my opinion. Not enough pictures of the shoulders to be able to tell. The skirt looks like a shiny-er black then the shoulders.

edit: with quote and picture

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks again for the advice. Airbrushing is a bit past how far I want to take this hobby at this current point in time. The putty may be, as well, but not too sure on that.

Regardless, it's good stuff to know.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kibner posted:

Thanks again for the advice. Airbrushing is a bit past how far I want to take this hobby at this current point in time. The putty may be, as well, but not too sure on that.

There's no shame in a "natural" panel line, where they hell could they make all these arms and legs in singular parts anyway. That would of been a huge factory.

I used plastic cement on my HG GM and it turned out pretty good. Then I tried my HG Gouf ignited and I totally destroyed some panel lines and thought it would be a good idea to use a X-ACTO to get them back. That didn't work to hot and now I tend to stay away from plastic cement. Plan on trying to clean it up at one point though.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 12, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Never noticed the upper arm spheres were a different color, how you painted those, flows really well in my opinion. Not enough pictures of the shoulders to be able to tell. The skirt looks like a shiny-er black then the shoulders.

edit: with quote and picture

The skirt and torso got Future gloss coated. As an experiment I wanted to see if the gloss coat did better for decal mobility and adhesion vs. non-gloss coated.

For what it's worth, I can't tell the difference.

Kibner posted:

Go at the pace that works best for you, and the best for having fun.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
My Gundam X collection pales to this person's love:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Good loving grief.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Here's the real question; Did build those collections at the same time, or is he moving on from one Mobile Suit to the next?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BlitzBlast posted:

Believe in the shrine to Zeta.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Does the Winning come with extra parts to put on the Lightning/BBG, or will I have to buy a second Winning kit?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

W.T. Fits posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Missing Link posted:

Does the Winning come with extra parts to put on the Lightning/BBG, or will I have to buy a second Winning kit?

Nope, you gotta buy a second. The torso is the Winning Fist, after all.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Say, if I want my HG Mk.II or Lightning gundams to have more solid shoulder articulation, are there polycap replacement options. I can of course just shove some quick-set or smooth surface putty on the ends to make the connections tighter, but I don't know how much tolerance those polycap joints have.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There are third party joints, but if you just want tighter joints any sort of method to increase friction will do. Just make sure you don't glue them into place.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

W.T. Fits posted:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

BlitzBlast posted:

There are third party joints, but if you just want tighter joints any sort of method to increase friction will do. Just make sure you don't glue them into place.

Where can I look for these?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Search for joints on HLJ.

EDIT: Holy crap, why did nobody tell me Tamashii Nations has an online calendar too?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 12, 2014

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta Hyaku Shiki!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex was already a thing. Why is this a preorder? http://www.amazon.com/Kotobukiya-Metal-Solid-Plastic-Model/dp/B00911UQAS/ref=pd_sbs_t_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=155NN8CTZ7HR46PNGNG2

and it's cheaper than the currently existing one on the market?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Revitalized posted:

I thought the Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex was already a thing. Why is this a preorder? http://www.amazon.com/Kotobukiya-Metal-Solid-Plastic-Model/dp/B00911UQAS/ref=pd_sbs_t_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=155NN8CTZ7HR46PNGNG2

and it's cheaper than the currently existing one on the market?

The other Rex is black.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

TARDISman posted:

The other Rex is black.

Yes but they posted the Rex model that came out before the black Rex. I'm assuming it's a preorder for a new run of the older Rex model?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Uznare posted:

Yes but they posted the Rex model that came out before the black Rex. I'm assuming it's a preorder for a new run of the older Rex model?

You got it, and speaking as the most recent builder of the black Rex in this thread, the gray one is the one you want to build.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Ok i want to start getting into using a wash for panel lines and finishing models with a matte coat. I've got some tamiya acrylic flat black and their thinner, does it matter what material container the wash will be held in? E.x can i just use a cheap plastic bottle or will that have some sort of chemical reaction.

Also i'm assuming i should do the wash before matte coating. I'm using testors spray lacquer.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

madpanda posted:

Ok i want to start getting into using a wash for panel lines and finishing models with a matte coat. I've got some tamiya acrylic flat black and their thinner, does it matter what material container the wash will be held in? E.x can i just use a cheap plastic bottle or will that have some sort of chemical reaction.

Also i'm assuming i should do the wash before matte coating. I'm using testors spray lacquer.

With Tamiya you're fine. Hell, I think with most containers you're fine. Just to be sure I'd advise using a cheapo little paint cup that they sell at the dollar store, doubly so because they have lids, or a paper cup - don't use the good china or something you intend to eat/drink from later even after washing it out in the sink.

Yes on the wash before matte coating. I think you may also want to gloss coat but I can't recall how critical that is, if at all.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

You got it, and speaking as the most recent builder of the black Rex in this thread, the gray one is the one you want to build.

Is there a difference in build quality?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just paid the shipping on the two 2.0 kits and I keep telling myself I don't need the Sazabi and I should save some extra money this check but it's so haaaaaard.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Just paid the shipping on the two 2.0 kits and I keep telling myself I don't need the Sazabi and I should save some extra money this check but it's so haaaaaard.

I'm not even kidding when I say that buying an airbrush and compressor has saved me money in the long run. Painting a kit makes it so it takes a lot longer to finish, and I buy way less kits because of it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

madpanda posted:

I was looking into an acrylic wash before I settled for brushing on future so I could do an enamel wash. Someone in the thread recommended doing 3 parts future and 1 part tamiya clear flat base and 1 part paint for an acrylic wash. From what I've read is the future settles on top of the paint while pulling the paint down into the lines.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 12, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Revitalized posted:

Is there a difference in build quality?

I don't think there would be.

Meanwhile, Rick Dom is Rick DONE.

Need to dust the beam bazooka but aww yeah.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I'm not even kidding when I say that buying an airbrush and compressor has saved me money in the long run. Painting a kit makes it so it takes a lot longer to finish, and I buy way less kits because of it.

This gets asked every three pages, but what is a good entry level airbrush setup? My backlog is a Kshatriya, and while my work room is too drat cold right now for me to work comfortably, I'd like to do it 'right' once I finish my first Zaku ever, which I'm brush painting. Compressors and wands are expensive though, so I want goons to do my thinking for me.

And also, it might do to put the tutorials and supply suggestions back in the OP. I reference the MK3 thread from time to time for those links.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Warmachine posted:

This gets asked every three pages, but what is a good entry level airbrush setup? My backlog is a Kshatriya, and while my work room is too drat cold right now for me to work comfortably, I'd like to do it 'right' once I finish my first Zaku ever, which I'm brush painting. Compressors and wands are expensive though, so I want goons to do my thinking for me.

And also, it might do to put the tutorials and supply suggestions back in the OP. I reference the MK3 thread from time to time for those links.

I'd try asking around in the miniature painting thread in TG but what I see recommended the most are the Badger Patriot and this cheap compressor that's sold by a million different people on Amazon.

There's a general resistance to talking about being in the same sort of hobby space as warhammer players around here but if you just want general advice about how to deal with acrylic paint either through regular brush or airbrush you can't beat that TG thread as a resource, at least on these forums.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What resistance? Closest I can think of is people not wanting to support Games Workshop, which is more of a "wow gently caress those guys".

Another airbrush to consider is the Iwata Revolution.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

I don't think there would be.

Then why was the gray one suggested over the black one? Just curious!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So now that finals are mostly over and I actually have free time I started putting some kits together, starting with the Thunderbolt GM, which I snapped together tonight.

This is incidentally the first gunpla I've put together in over a year. Fresh impressions:

-I really like how the legs come together, really pleasantly solid.
-I hope you like muddy yellow stickers because this kit has them in spades.
-The shield arms are simultaneously more poseable than I expected and not nearly as poseable as they should be. Didn't this thing launch around the same time as a lot of the GBF booster packs? You had the molds for articulated arms right there, use them!
-The right arm's torso connection is a little floppy, but I may have trimmed the polycaps a little too much so it's probably on me.
-The looseness of the thruster pack, however, is entirely on bandai. That's getting glued after painting, no question.
-gently caress shaving nubs on dark plastic forever. Are the weapons molded out of a different kind of plastic? stress showed up a lot easier on them than on everything else in the kit, I eventually said gently caress it and decided to add them to the painting queue.
-My nexus 7's camera is dogshit, holy gently caress

After this I'm probably going to decalify it,panel line, put some metallic paint on the thruster bells, and topcoat the thing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'd try asking around in the miniature painting thread in TG but what I see recommended the most are the Badger Patriot and this cheap compressor that's sold by a million different people on Amazon.

There's a general resistance to talking about being in the same sort of hobby space as warhammer players around here but if you just want general advice about how to deal with acrylic paint either through regular brush or airbrush you can't beat that TG thread as a resource, at least on these forums.

It's less about working with pants and more about not knowing jack or poo poo about compressors, airbrushes, or airbrush accessories.

BlitzBlast posted:

What resistance? Closest I can think of is people not wanting to support Games Workshop, which is more of a "wow gently caress those guys".

Another airbrush to consider is the Iwata Revolution.

What I have right now is basically a bunch of Citadel paints. In retrospect, younger me should have bought pretty much anything else, but you work with what you have.

Incidentally, that muddy yellow on the GM looks exactly like one of the test bed yellow mixes I ended up with when loving around with mixing yellow paints a few weeks ago.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Well, to clarify, the chest vents, thrusters, crosses on the shields, and the collar are actual plastic parts. Everything else that's yellow is a sticker, and they're real fuckers too since they're all really narrow and fiddly and go over odd contours. You can only see about a third of them in that picture, not counting the 10-ish tiny ones that go on the legs, which is where I drew the loving line.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 13, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Warmachine posted:

This gets asked every three pages, but what is a good entry level airbrush setup?

You basically need

A budget
Airbrush
Compressor
The right hoses and/or adapters to make connections to your compressor and airbrush
Something to catch overspray (like a cardboard box or a spray booth)
Moisture trap
Paint
optional: Airbrush paint thinner
optional: bottles

You also need to figure out whether you want gravity feed or siphon feed. Gravity feed means that you put paint in a cup on top of the brush and the paint drips into the airline by gravity. Siphon feed uses little bottles attached to the bottom of the brush, and it uses air pressure/vacuum to suck paint into the airline. Either one works, and it's all personal preference.

The Badger Patriot gets recommended a lot because it's very easy to work with. I use the 155 which is the siphon feed version of the Patriot. I highly recommend either one.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 13, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Revitalized posted:

Then why was the gray one suggested over the black one? Just curious!

Color separation. The inner frame for the black Rex is a medium chocolate brown, and it just looks off. I wish they kept the inner frame dark gray or something.

Warmachine posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbru...+and+compressor

This is the one you want. I have the one with the much smaller compressor, which is quieter, but has issues with maintaining constant pressure. You also have to kinda guess at the pressure which you set seeing as it has no gauge.

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 13, 2014

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

If it has issues maintaining constant pressure you might need to hook it up to a tank

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/iwata-smart-jet-compressor-review

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ka0 posted:

If it has issues maintaining constant pressure you might need to hook it up to a tank

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/iwata-smart-jet-compressor-review

Yep. I just use a lil half-gallon tank and leave it running while I work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dropped hints about a compressor equipped with a tank for Christmukkah, so if I don't get one, I'll just buy one.