Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Uhh, I would recommend just going through some random 80's synthpop on youtube until you find something that has the same pace. Things like bronski beat, art of noise, modern talking all bring mucho cheese to the game. I actually used 'Human League - Don't you want me' for my own track. :frogc00l:
The choir is straight out of a Korg M1, so yeah that should be pretty recognisable indeed.

E: Synth related. Just sold my Yamaha DX200 and went straight ahead to buy a Volca Keys
Also does anyone here own a Clavia Nord Stage Lead 3 or 4? I'm thinking of flipping my Juno 60 for one, but I'm not sure yet.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sjoewe posted:

The choir is straight out of a Korg M1, so yeah that should be pretty recognisable indeed.

Well I'm an idiot then, because I've used the M1 plenty :downs:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

I suck at this whole "making full length tracks" business :( Any and all feedback appreciated.

Continue to make <2 min long tracks because it's way loving worse for music to be boring than short. If it's good, you can always queue it up twice.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I made a couple of changes and it's now <3min instead of <2min which suits me fine. I made the snare a lot more prominent, which I feel ups the cheese-factor.

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/cheesy31

It really sounds like an instrumental version of a track that's supposed to have lyrics though, anyone got tips on that part? I feel like a lot of the stuff I make ends up like this, which is frustrating since I'm not much of a songwriter and I really only wish to make instrumental stuff :negative:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

College has built a healthy following making 80s songs that should have vocals but don't (track on the Drive soundtrack notwithstanding).

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Your Computer posted:

It really sounds like an instrumental version of a track that's supposed to have lyrics though, anyone got tips on that part? I feel like a lot of the stuff I make ends up like this, which is frustrating since I'm not much of a songwriter and I really only wish to make instrumental stuff :negative:

drop some samples of a dog woofing with autotune and sweeten it up with some chorus and you're good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panda Time posted:

drop some samples of a dog woofing with autotune and sweeten it up with some chorus and you're good

I.. uh.. what :confused:

Did another small thing today; started it and had no idea where to take it so it sorta turned into this... extended outro of sorts.. iunno:
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/iunno

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Your Computer posted:

I.. uh.. what :confused:

If you're looking to fill a track with something other than a singer, use a lead instrument or something vocal sounding like a thermin, or sample a let's play video and run it through a vocoder then put a lil chorus on it to sweeten it up.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Except for things that aren't vocals make a really loving poor substitute for vocals.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

Did another small thing today; started it and had no idea where to take it so it sorta turned into this... extended outro of sorts.. iunno:
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/iunno

cut out the fade out fade in fade out down to just the first fade out, the extra tail doesn't add anything to the track. Quit getting hung up on song length, dudes with huge bonerz don't need to compensate with long songs or corvettes.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Panda Time posted:

Like this? http://youtu.be/0359hSerDeE

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Yo: Fading in or out is a bad idea.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a_big_dog posted:

Yo: Fading in or out is a bad idea.

If you're gonna get your song on radio or an album or something, sure, but it does no harm when you're just posting noodles on the internet :shrug:

Personally I use fade in/outs when a track is unfinished (lacking an intro or outro), since it's unpleasant to listen to an abrupt start or end.
(The double fade out was silly though, which is why I did it. Felt like a funny thing at the time)

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Roland just announced a TR-707/727 expansion for the TR-8. It's not simply a sample set (there is circuit modeling involved), and it also includes new TR-909/808 instruments.

If the TR-8 had more analog outs, or if their USB implementation worked more like Virus TI or Elektron's alleged Overbridge, I'd be ditching work for a trip to Guitar Center right now.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/12/12/roland-expand-aira-tr-8-with-707727-voices-set/

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's nice to see Roland following through and actually producing updates for the Aira line, something I think a few of us thought wouldn't happen very often. Interested to see what their next System-1 update is going to be.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Its like $75 bucks though, kind of lame

And yeah, who the hell makes a drum machine with only 2 assignable outs?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

toadee posted:

Its like $75 bucks though, kind of lame

And yeah, who the hell makes a drum machine with only 2 assignable outs?

75 euro which is almost $100 USD :(

then again, 707's are stupidly priced around $400+ so maybe it's not *such* a terrible deal. TR-8 is definitely attractive just as a drum machine with a lot of surface control (a lot more attractive than the piece of poo poo TB-3), though the hardware leaves a lot to be desired.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm buying it for the whistle sound alone. edit also i like the TB-3 i think im getting that too

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

net work error posted:

It's nice to see Roland following through and actually producing updates for the Aira line, something I think a few of us thought wouldn't happen very often. Interested to see what their next System-1 update is going to be.

Count me as one of those. With them actually releasing something, now I'm doubly sore the System1 didn't have even a cheap 16x1 or 2 character LCD, they could've stuffed the D-50 in there. Work's already done pulling the PCM, etc. :smithcloud:

RE: cost, imagine if it weren't digitally delivered. It'd be a ROM card and $200 for the same content. !And probably a limited run

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The TB-3 owns I feel the need to white knight some green and black plastic.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I assume that this isn't "acid" since I didn't use an actual 303 and an actual 707/909. :(

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/acid-wip

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Your Computer posted:

So I made a couple of changes and it's now <3min instead of <2min which suits me fine. I made the snare a lot more prominent, which I feel ups the cheese-factor.

I slowed this down to about 84bpm (no pitch correction) and holy poo poo it's my jam right now

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
FM4 synth is out for IPad, and it's 99 cents intro price right now. Having spent a whole 10 minutes with it, I like the presets, and the devs may have cracked making fm programming reasonable - there's lots of sliders. A++ would robot fart again.

The expansion to the TR-8 seems cool, I did notice in the demo video that you still cannot mix sounds from different drum machines in the same loop, though you can flip machines on the fly. That's a minor quibble, it's a good unit imho.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Schindler's Fist posted:

FM4 synth is out for IPad, and it's 99 cents intro price right now. Having spent a whole 10 minutes with it, I like the presets, and the devs may have cracked making fm programming reasonable - there's lots of sliders. A++ would robot fart again.

Thanks for the tip, downloading this thang now!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It's loving time for cubasis to go on sale.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Schindler's Fist posted:

FM4 synth is out for IPad,

I don't know why emulations never have the obvious upgrade of pitch control of all the individual operators, which was part of Chowning's original patent. That was left out of the DX7 because of cost and could easily be brought back. The DX200 can do it, but only by detuning the rows in an algorithm. One iPad app that does it is 'Stria' - which makes those nice Stockhausen metallic explosion noises. Same guy as the iVCS3.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fors Yard posted:

I slowed this down to about 84bpm (no pitch correction) and holy poo poo it's my jam right now

I'm intrigued, by no pitch correction do you mean it's only slowed while retaining it's pitch or that it's lower pitched?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I wish I knew why Roland feels it so necessary to have all these classic acid house artists promote the ARIA line. A Guy Called Gerald loves to do promotional videos with them, I think Egyptian Lover did a few as well? I'm seeing some from DJ Pierre today. I don't think hearing DJ Pierre telling me "these are cool products" would convince me to buy a product. Sure maybe if he used them 20 years ago and I wanted to get his exact sound it would be a different story, but he's never used this stuff on an album. I'm more likely to pick something up if a person I know recommends it to me, not if some big name star plugs it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Well at least DJ Pierre and Spank Spank have been using them in their latest Phuture gigs alongside their 303's so there's that? I dunno, twiddle knobs make acid (unless it's a TB3 and there's no env knob welp).

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Your Computer posted:

I'm intrigued, by no pitch correction do you mean it's only slowed while retaining it's pitch or that it's lower pitched?

Yeah, lower pitch.

http://picosong.com/4GwK

Also reminded me of this demo tune that also owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-_YmUmAMwU

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 14, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I wish I knew why Roland feels it so necessary to have all these classic acid house artists promote the ARIA line.

Target audience. The people who have been doing the whole "Roland didn't do anything right after the 80s" and who want a $1000 Jupiter 8 rerelease are not going to be swayed by modern artists.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That actually works surprisingly well :crossarms:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
iOS people, thumbjam is on sale. Get it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Ended up at guitar center and after a customer played me a Sufjan Stevens song on his phone I got a volca bass. Having some fun with it, though it does seem really noisy. I've only been using it through earbuds though. Maybe when you can turn the volume dial more than halfway it's not an issue.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I tried lowering the tempo and pitch a little bit, with some small additions and changes..

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/cheesy32

I really wish there was a way to listen to your track from a new perspective, I've been working on this one long enough that it just sounds like rear end to me no matter what I do. It's so much easier with drawings, when you can flip them horizontally and suddenly you spot all the little errors and stuff :( Might just call this one finished, I think. Still haven't come up with a name though, I kinda suck at that too. Any suggestions? :butt:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Your Computer posted:

So I tried lowering the tempo and pitch a little bit, with some small additions and changes..

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/cheesy32

I really wish there was a way to listen to your track from a new perspective, I've been working on this one long enough that it just sounds like rear end to me no matter what I do. It's so much easier with drawings, when you can flip them horizontally and suddenly you spot all the little errors and stuff :( Might just call this one finished, I think. Still haven't come up with a name though, I kinda suck at that too. Any suggestions? :butt:
I love it and I wish they would have cloned Marvin Gaye to sing some poo poo over it. The only thing I keep wanting for is those stabby Rhodes chords that start at 0:22 to come back for a finale somewhere after 3:00-3:10. Only needs to be a taste. A small recap to round it out. Doesn't need to make the track any longer, even.

Currently I'm a bit stuck with my track. Need to get some bounce in the bassline, because at the moment it's more sentimental than sexy.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
So I've started working on some Bonerjamz-related stuff.

Currently, I wouldn't mind some feedback on this piece of unfinished work:

http://tindeck.com/listen/zfnk

Basically, is this kind of style fit for Bonerjamz? Should I speed it down and/or make it less aggressive? I'm fairly certain that my next track will be way calmer, but I'm curious if I should keep working on this as a Bonerjamz-track.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Monotron delay/duo as gifts to kids, yes or no? Thinking about it for some family. :getin:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

net work error posted:

Monotron delay/duo as gifts to kids, yes or no? Thinking about it for some family. :getin:

I did it last year, the kids still love them. Parents not so much. :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

I love it and I wish they would have cloned Marvin Gaye to sing some poo poo over it. The only thing I keep wanting for is those stabby Rhodes chords that start at 0:22 to come back for a finale somewhere after 3:00-3:10. Only needs to be a taste. A small recap to round it out. Doesn't need to make the track any longer, even.

Currently I'm a bit stuck with my track. Need to get some bounce in the bassline, because at the moment it's more sentimental than sexy.

Excellent suggestion! :neckbeard:

I settled on a suggestive but not in-your-face title too, so I think I'm done with this track. Yay!
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/im-on-my-way

e:

net work error posted:

Yeeesssss :getin: