Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Asylum posted:

RFID? I thought the thing was 100% UV ink on the lids. Having an RFID in literally every cup would be a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something disposable.
With all the waste Keurig owners produce, it's very likely that no one cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
A ticket came in, followed by another, and another, and another.

And from what I can gather, no one's touched anything since about 5 AM this morning. I'm running solo tonight, and have so far quadrupled my queue.

And I'm not even halfway done. :shepicide:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ElGroucho posted:

You could buy some Walmart brand freeze dried coffee and get the same quality as a Keurig cup

Alternatively, caffeinated tea is dirt cheap and has an upfront cost of one (1) mug. Yes, tea != coffee, but in the scope of wanting to use a Keurig for the occasional convenience of having no-fuss caffeine, few things beat tea.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My office just has a kettle and a coffee machine next to eachother. Go wild, I switch it up every time i grab a mug.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spog posted:

See also:

Inkjet printers
Razors
Digital music
far too many other things...

I'm with you on the razors and inkjet printers, but given DRM is no longer a thing with digital music I don't think that's really accurate, just about every player I could use will play AAC, MP3, FLAC (not sure about Apple Lossless, but I don't think they actually sell anything using that). Now digital video on other hand will still be a thing until traditional media withers on the vine still clutching their DRM with cold hands.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ursine Asylum posted:

RFID? I thought the thing was 100% UV ink on the lids. Having an RFID in literally every cup would be a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something disposable.

I don't know about UV, but there is a tiny camera that reads a dot code around the rim of the cup. It's already been defeated and some of the 3rd party pod makers have reversed engineered the DRM (they're basically daring Kurig to come after them, Green Mountain I think is the company).

You can just reuse the foil lid of an Official K-Cup since I don't think they have any way to track unique codes per K-Cup (Wait until you need an always on Internet connection for your coffee maker)

EDIT: OK, I was wrong too. It's not a dot-code, but IR ink. The weird thing is Kurig is calling it K-Cup RFID, but the description doesn't match any implementation of RFID I know of.

Some article I googled posted:

Keurig's use of RFID K-Cup technology for its machines includes proprietary ink that was "inspired by counterfeiting technology used by the US Mint." Without going into too much detail, Keurig’s vice president of brewer engineering explained "that an infrared light shines on the ink marking and registers the wavelength of the light reflected back."

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 13, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Users at retail locations are having issues opening files on their ancient XP machines, so I pulled "manually remote into them to install an update" duty this morning. I remote in, open a chat window asking if I can begin, wait a few minutes with no response, and begin the process.

Halfway through installation, one user apparently walked up to the computer and just clicked cancel and then walked away again and took no other actions.

Another person apparently did the same, but instead of clicking cancel they minimized the installer, closed the chat window, then opened a file through the old software thus throwing an installation error and asking to Retry, Skip or Cancel, which they promptly mashed "Cancel" on.

Who the gently caress just randomly closes installers on company computers with a big chat box saying IT is working here? :psyduck: I was tempted to lock their machines but I'm sure they'd probably do something worse like unplug it because it "needs a reboot".

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

flosofl posted:

The weird thing is Kurig is calling it K-Cup RFID, but the description doesn't match any implementation of RFID I know of.

Someone probably told one of the marketing people at Keurig that RFID is "a thing that tells a thing about another thing." And then the engineers probably described their infra ink proprietary detection technology poo poo in a way that translated to "a thing that tells our machines that our cup is ours" and the marketing people just connected that up in their head. Actual translation of "RFID" not required.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Che Delilas posted:

Someone probably told one of the marketing people at Keurig that RFID is "a thing that tells a thing about another thing." And then the engineers probably described their infra ink proprietary detection technology poo poo in a way that translated to "a thing that tells our machines that our cup is ours" and the marketing people just connected that up in their head. Actual translation of "RFID" not required.

It's depressing how plausible this explanation is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah, and I didn't really have any luck. It's got like an 80% success rate booting with just the single OS drive plugged in, regardless of where it is, and maybe 60% if it also has its data SSD. It fails basically every time if it has the 2TB data HDD he had in there (but of course, not always!). The way everything's so intermittent is what's been driving me crazy on this.

Have you considered that one or more of the drives has a problem ? Try that 2TB data drive in another machine and see what happens.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just got a call back to interview for a new job.
It's cutting it pretty close, but hopefully 2014 will be the YOTJ after all.
"Don't gently caress this one up gnarlycharlie4u!" :yotj:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Keurig machines are fine if you like drinking disgusting fluids that can't even be called coffee.

Honestly this holds for a lot (all that I've seen) of fully automatic machines too.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

Have you considered that one or more of the drives has a problem ? Try that 2TB data drive in another machine and see what happens.

Yep, they all work fine as data drives on other machines. :iiam:

The Dell tech suggested updating the firmware on the SSDs, which sounds like a fantastic suggestion, but they're Dell-branded OEM Samsung 840s and the standard 840 firmware apparently doesn't work on them. They've never had a firmware update. I'm at home and don't remember the model name but Googling it came up with a bunch of people complaining about this.

The one thing I haven't done yet is try to reimage it with a known-good drive. This is partially due to my apparent incompetence at finding the right storage drivers for it, but in my defense I'm not the only one. I also ran out of time before the guy wanted it back.

I know at the end of this I'll feel like an idiot and feel resigned to staying a desktop technician for the rest of my life. I'll be sure to post whatever the cause ends up being (my money's on the cable at this point).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

coffee chat posted:

There's an RFID reader in the Keurig 2.0 brewers and an RFID tag on the lid of the "official" cups

Actually HTCPCP doesn't support RFID yet,

but there's a hackaday on how to make it work

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

gently caress Quickbooks, seriously. Seems like every other day one of our clients calls us with Quickbooks problems.

m.hache posted:

It's a horrible piece of software with even worse support.

Their system wouldn't authenticate our information for a password reset and when you call them up they want $79.99 to help you. 1 hour on the phone and my problem still wasn't resolved AND they charged me $79.

Look into Xero as a Quickbooks alternative. Entirely online, so no BS about installed app versions, it's just a website, and the support is completely free.

Also at least 3 goons work in the Ops team there.

edit: 4, 4 goons!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KaneTW posted:

Keurig machines are fine if you like drinking disgusting fluids that can't even be called coffee.

Honestly this holds for a lot (all that I've seen) of fully automatic machines too.

What's up French press buddy. :v: French press is the only way to go and anybody who uses a keurig and calls it coffee is bad at coffee and should feel bad.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

ratbert90 posted:

What's up French press buddy. :v: French press is the only way to go and anybody who uses a keurig and calls it coffee is bad at coffee and should feel bad.

I french press fresh hops into beer, does that count? It seems more ITish.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I was in the elevator with a woman and she asked me what I did. I described my firm and then asked her in return.
"Accounting software" she says.

Now, this is a brand new building in Melbourne., so my mind instantly went to Xero.
"It's not Xero, is it?" I enquired, while thinking of the quintessential elevator pitch just in case this random woman was hiring.
"Quickbooks" she replies with half a smile.
I stood silently until we reached the next floor. I stepped off without another word.it wasn't even my floor.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Actually HTCPCP doesn't support RFID yet,

I'm working on it, give me some time!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

flosofl posted:

I don't know about UV, but there is a tiny camera that reads a dot code around the rim of the cup. It's already been defeated and some of the 3rd party pod makers have reversed engineered the DRM (they're basically daring Kurig to come after them, Green Mountain I think is the company).

You can just reuse the foil lid of an Official K-Cup since I don't think they have any way to track unique codes per K-Cup (Wait until you need an always on Internet connection for your coffee maker)

EDIT: OK, I was wrong too. It's not a dot-code, but IR ink. The weird thing is Kurig is calling it K-Cup RFID, but the description doesn't match any implementation of RFID I know of.

Well light is a radio wave, sort of. :haw:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mo_Steel posted:

Users at retail locations are having issues opening files on their ancient XP machines, so I pulled "manually remote into them to install an update" duty this morning. I remote in, open a chat window asking if I can begin, wait a few minutes with no response, and begin the process.

Halfway through installation, one user apparently walked up to the computer and just clicked cancel and then walked away again and took no other actions.

Another person apparently did the same, but instead of clicking cancel they minimized the installer, closed the chat window, then opened a file through the old software thus throwing an installation error and asking to Retry, Skip or Cancel, which they promptly mashed "Cancel" on.

Who the gently caress just randomly closes installers on company computers with a big chat box saying IT is working here? :psyduck: I was tempted to lock their machines but I'm sure they'd probably do something worse like unplug it because it "needs a reboot".

I get this all the loving time whenever I help out users. I'll connect, get started, leave some form of download running and they'll just click cancel, every single time and leave it. I now lock the user controls out of habit.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

RFC2324 posted:

I'm working on it, give me some time!
perfect timing :golfclap:

I'm coming up on hour 23 of work...
The boss is in Switzerland for the next 5 days so now may be my only chance to finally get all of our infrastructure straightened out without him putting a stop to it.

I've managed to get 8 PE2850's up and running from a giant shitpile of parts, moved a bunch of servers to one rack and have them split between 3 UPS, extracted 6 dead servers, untangles about a half mile of network cable, and a bunch of other poo poo.

Everything in this first rack is going on rails with the exception of 2 or 3 servers that will be on shelves. I can't loving believe that we had 14 servers just stacked on top of each other; no rails, not even screwed into the rack. They might as well have been in a pile on the floor. Almost every single loving one of them needed some sort of repair too. I've replaced fans, procs, power supplies, ram, and harddrives.

I'm feeling pretty good about finally making some progress on this. Now I've only got 3 more racks to go.

I better nail this job interview. I don't know how much longer I can handle this place. :yotj:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

perfect timing :golfclap:

I'm coming up on hour 23 of work...
The boss is in Switzerland for the next 5 days so now may be my only chance to finally get all of our infrastructure straightened out without him putting a stop to it.

I've managed to get 8 PE2850's up and running from a giant shitpile of parts, moved a bunch of servers to one rack and have them split between 3 UPS, extracted 6 dead servers, untangles about a half mile of network cable, and a bunch of other poo poo.

Everything in this first rack is going on rails with the exception of 2 or 3 servers that will be on shelves. I can't loving believe that we had 14 servers just stacked on top of each other; no rails, not even screwed into the rack. They might as well have been in a pile on the floor. Almost every single loving one of them needed some sort of repair too. I've replaced fans, procs, power supplies, ram, and harddrives.

I'm feeling pretty good about finally making some progress on this. Now I've only got 3 more racks to go.

I better nail this job interview. I don't know how much longer I can handle this place. :yotj:

I feel your pain buddy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I drink nothing but instant coffee. I know I know I am defective.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

French press here

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Nothing but the finest of Saint Timothy Horton's Own Roast touches these lips.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nescafé Azera because I give a slight gently caress.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
The number of people picky about coffee here is surprising. I thought the idea was cheap coffee, expensive booze.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee :smuggo:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

The number of people picky about coffee here is surprising. I thought the idea was cheap coffee, expensive booze.

The difference is that coffee CAN taste good. Booze, you just hope it gets you drunk enough after the first taste that you can't taste the second.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

FireSight posted:

The difference is that coffee CAN taste good. Booze, you just hope it gets you drunk enough after the first taste that you can't taste the second.

I'm sorry you've only ever tried cheap swill.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FireSight posted:

Do you only drink mead or something? Try buying some 12 year scotch.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I roast my own coffee and I have a ECM Technika 3, French press and I sometimes (rarely) drink Turkish coffee.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Speaking of scotch, the person behind my Secret Santa at work got me a Glenlivet hipflask (complete with tiny bottle) :iia:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
People get very angry about coffee.

Perhaps it is acceptable to enjoy both K-Cups for their convenience and freshly ground french pressed coffee for it's quality? That's how I do it. Sometimes you need caffeine in your body 30 seconds ago, and sometimes you want to take it easy and enjoy your morning.

e:

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Speaking of scotch, the person behind my Secret Santa at work got me a Glenlivet hipflask (complete with tiny bottle) :iia:

That's what I gave my Secret Santa at work last year :hf:

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 14, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Renegret posted:

People get very angry about coffee.

Perhaps it is acceptable to enjoy both K-Cups for their convenience and freshly ground french pressed coffee for it's quality? That's how I do it. Sometimes you need caffeine in your body 30 seconds ago, and sometimes you want to take it easy and enjoy your morning.

This is the internet, where everyone is right, everyone else is wrong, and "compromise" and "tolerance" have been debunked as urban myths (check snopes, idiots).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Che Delilas posted:

This is the internet, where everyone is right, everyone else is wrong, and "compromise" and "tolerance" have been debunked as urban myths (check snopes, idiots).

I just find it funny because almost every general discussion thread I have bookmarked has inevitably gotten into an argument about coffee.

I have both a K-Cup and a French press, I use them both regularly and I enjoy having them because sometimes I want good coffee, and sometimes I need to inject caffeine into my bloodstream. Perhaps...the truth...is in the middle?

I think a lot of people who hate on K-Cups also don't take into consideration that, very often, they're fully paid for by the company. I will drink any coffee, no matter how awful, if it's free. At least K-Cups taste better than Flavia. We have a Flavia machine at work and holy poo poo is it awful (but I drink it anyway).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would loving love to have a coffee machine at work but apparently it's good to get up and away from your desk so we get to go downstairs in the painfully slow elevators to buy coffee at the deli.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I strictly limit myself to one coffee in the morning as I don't want to develop a dependency. So that one coffee better be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Tea :smug:

• Locked thread