Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Skip My Posts posted:

Sounds retarded

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I mean it would be retarded to go through with the trouble and consequences of having a guy take a dive when they can easily find some bum to legitimately lose to him. Or he may lose horribly.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
There is no point in getting a can to take a dive, you either do one or the other.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Dangersim posted:

There is no point in getting a can to take a dive, you either do one or the other.

Mickey Rourke's homeless opponent disagrees.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

Skinty McEdger posted:

Right but the first ppv is the only one you have any guarantee that people will have unrealistic expectations of him. Even if he wins his first fight but looks boring as poo poo in doing so you're going to piss away money later on because it'll turn off fans. It's promoting 101, you make your audience pay for your draws, and for his first fight at least he's a draw. You can later book him on whatever you want, but that first PPV is the one that will have the most chance of drawing fans, particularly if you promote it strongly.

Yea the debut fight will bring the non-UFC fans to watch an event but that doesn't mean they will continue to only watch Punk. That's the whole missing point in the idea that conversion is dependent on how Punk does. It's not nearly as important as having his fight sandwiched with REALLY good bookings so the new viewers actually watch something that gets them interested in the sport itself. Punk is merely bait to put new viewers on the product and that means Punk is a sideshow attraction to an otherwise stellar event. The wrong way to book, PPV or not, is to have Punk carry a UFC card. This will definitely not happen as it's completely bad business sense. I would not be surprised to see some of the best (on-paper) match ups of 2015 be saved and dumped onto the main card with Punk.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Dangersim posted:

CM Punk is such a bad fighter that Bob Sapp fighting at 185 actively trying to submit would KO him.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Kurohashi posted:

Yea the debut fight will bring the non-UFC fans to watch an event but that doesn't mean they will continue to only watch Punk. That's the whole missing point in the idea that conversion is dependent on how Punk does. It's not nearly as important as having his fight sandwiched with REALLY good bookings so the new viewers actually watch something that gets them interested in the sport itself. Punk is merely bait to put new viewers on the product and that means Punk is a sideshow attraction to an otherwise stellar event. The wrong way to book, PPV or not, is to have Punk carry a UFC card. This will definitely not happen as it's completely bad business sense. I would not be surprised to see some of the best (on-paper) match ups of 2015 be saved and dumped onto the main card with Punk.

I was about to post this exact sentiment. Punk will bring in guys who are just wrestling fans and a bunch of kids who grew up cheering for him in WWE and haven't really gotten exposed to MMA yet. If the UFC brings in a bunch of extra viewers, but they pay Punk appropriately for it, their net gain is still zero. They'd have to be idiots not to put Punk in a million different youtube series to try to stir up some curiosity and interest in the sport as a whole. And that whole card better be tight as hell because it's going to have to make people who aren't die hard into MMA not regret spending their time and money on it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Dana should go all out and sign more (popular) pro-wrestlers who want to fight for real.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Great White Hope posted:

CM Punk is such a bad fighter that Bob Sapp fighting at 185 actively trying to submit would KO him.

Wouldn't Sapp need to be an actual skeleton before he made 185? I mean, he'd still win, but it would be hard for him to drink the victory champaign afterwards.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Ligur posted:

Dana should go all out and sign more (popular) pro-wrestlers who want to fight for real.

Cena would crush every competitor in the UFC. It would get real boring real fast.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Burt Buckle posted:

Cena would crush every competitor in the UFC. It would get real boring real fast.

Cena couldn't pass a drug test if you told him it was in 3 months. That guy is held together by more HGH and TRT than Joe Rogan will use in his lifetime.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Has former MMA fighter Hulk Hogan chimed in on this recent turn of events? As a pro-wrestling/MMA pioneer (he fought in Pride, you know!) I figure he'd have lots to say. :allears:

And no one has that picture of Nick Diaz and Heyman? Only one I could find through Google searches was a tiny-rear end thumbnail.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i wonder how many fans the ufc gained from brock being in the ufc and how many immediately left after he was annihilated

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don't think you need to know all the ins and outs of MMA to realise it's pretty likely punk will be murderised if his opponent has seriously trained any martial art for any real length of time.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bobtista posted:

I don't think you need to know all the ins and outs of MMA to realise it's pretty likely punk will be murderised if his opponent has seriously trained any martial art for any real length of time.

Spoiler: His opponent will not have seriously trained any martial art for any real length of time

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fatherdog posted:

Spoiler: His opponent will not have seriously trained any martial art for any real length of time

What's Seth Petruzelli doing these days?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

fatherdog posted:

I wanna be like "why on Earth would an athletic commission go for this?" and I know that the answer relies upon millions of dollars and :lol: athletic commissions :lol:

I just hope that Punk is healthy enough to play for the Ice Hogs after this stint in MMA ends. Punk on Ice has got a nice ring to it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

:lol:

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

DeathChicken posted:

Not that Punk is or ever will be near the skills of Brock Lesnar, but I am reminded of how a good chunk of people were yelling for Brock to lose the duration of his MMA career because he was a Fake Wrestle Guy. Punk already has that going for him in that he'll draw in people who are curious and people who just want the Fake Wrestle Guy to get his head kicked off. Win win.

This absolutely isn't true, people hated Brock for the way he disrespected the Budweiser brand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was more upset at the notion of him laying on his wife.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Punk is going to get rock em sock em robo'd

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

fatherdog posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/JoeLauzon/status/543546698442620929]

[url=https://twitter.com/joerogan/status/543554133848891392]

:lol:

That's a great answer lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
kimbo's heavyweight boatyard boxing title was way more relevant than any wwf belt

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Marching Powder posted:

i wonder how many fans the ufc gained from brock being in the ufc and how many immediately left after he was annihilated

UFC did some market research after his first fight that indicated 300,000 of the buys were from people who had never bought a UFC show before.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

UFC did some market research after his first fight that indicated 300,000 of the buys were from people who had never bought a UFC show before.

jesus christ

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dangersim posted:

jesus christ

Wrestling fans are used to buying PPVs so it shouldn't really be that surprising that Brock spiked a big buyrate. It probably helped that Brock is basically a shaved gorilla and they were also expecting him to do well.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

MrBling posted:

It probably helped that Brock is basically a shaved gorilla and they were also expecting him to do well.
Nah, gorillas eat mostly vegetables.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Dangersim posted:

jesus christ

add to this that Lesnar was never really a guy in WWE who had his own fanbase in the way that CM Punk does

it doesn't matter if he's fighting a literal garbage can, he'll still draw absurd numbers, particularly if they go hog wild on promoting it

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I wonder what it takes to get Chuck Norris back into the fight game!

DO IT DANA!!!

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Skip My Posts posted:

Also it seems like some of them think his fights are gonna be fake.

Lmao you think they'll have a guy take a dive instead of hand picking a garbage man?

Duke Droese confirmed for ufc 185

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

FullLeatherJacket posted:

add to this that Lesnar was never really a guy in WWE who had his own fanbase in the way that CM Punk does

it doesn't matter if he's fighting a literal garbage can, he'll still draw absurd numbers, particularly if they go hog wild on promoting it

CM Punk's fan base is also motivated to show Vince McMahon that they are willing to support Punk financially. His ProWrestlingTees site basically wrecked their website briefly with the number of orders. So not only do you have people conditioned to buying PPVs, but you have the added incentive for some of buying as a mild protest.

Punk's first fight will pop a massive buyrate and Dana White will get a new Bible gun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

CM Punk's fan base is also motivated to show Vince McMahon that they are willing to support Punk financially. His ProWrestlingTees site basically wrecked their website briefly with the number of orders. So not only do you have people conditioned to buying PPVs, but you have the added incentive for some of buying as a mild protest.

Punk's first fight will pop a massive buyrate and Dana White will get a new Bible gun.

ProWrestlingTees is not a very well run business.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

it's a movement

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A BOWEL movement

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MassRafTer posted:

ProWrestlingTees is not a very well run business.

I think they get their internet infrastructure from the same guys as Colt Cabana...

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Memento posted:

I think they get their internet infrastructure from the same guys as Colt Cabana...

colt cabana is a part owner so

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Arent' the UFC up to some shenanigans when it comes to picking a winner in some hard to call circumstances though? I'm asking this as a legitimate question. I don't know for sure, but I've heard that at times some decisions were quite disgusting and should'e been given to the the loser even after watching video evidence.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Odddzy posted:

Arent' the UFC up to some shenanigans when it comes to picking a winner in some hard to call circumstances though? I'm asking this as a legitimate question. I don't know for sure, but I've heard that at times some decisions were quite disgusting and should'e been given to the the loser even after watching video evidence.

Judges are independent and the UFC has no sway over their oftentimes terrible decisions.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Whoops, double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Judges are independent and the UFC has no sway over their oftentimes terrible decisions.

This, and the problem is incompetence not corruption.

• Locked thread