Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jitesh
Aug 4, 2013

Mahatma Gandhi posted:

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.
Are there any advantages to having a black/space gray iPad in comparison to a white one?

I assume movies may be a tad nicer without the bright white bezel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I prefer the black bezel, but that's preference, I guess.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Straker posted:

I want to say refurb 2012 Nexus 7 but I don't know if they regularly actually dip much below refurb 2013 prices, though they've been as cheap as $100. Maybe a used/refurb Nabi or something for the kid, but I don't know if those kind of tablets are useful enough for netflix and such? One year old use + grown-up games/movies is kind of a broad use case...

Thanks, I'll look into it. And yeah I know it sounds broad but really the only thing that's necessary is the ability to watch videos.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Duckman2008 posted:

At this price, guess whatever is on sale that is a Coby or sold at like, Kohls.

My buddy bought 2 tablets a couple of months ago, a Nexus 7 2013 and a cheaper Acer x86 of some kind (8-10") for his kid. He prefers the performance of the Acer.

Check it out, no clue of the price in the US.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

zeldadude posted:

Thanks, I'll look into it. And yeah I know it sounds broad but really the only thing that's necessary is the ability to watch videos.

Keep in mind the aspect ratio for iPads as opposed to other tablets. Since the iPad and Nexus 9 are both 4 by 3 you will end up with black bars with most of the stuff you watch on Netflix. However, if you get a tablet that 16 by 9 or 16 by 10 like one of the Amazon tablets then more of the screen will be used when you're watching videos.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
So I'm looking for a decent Android tablet for less than $200. 10" screen is better but 7" is acceptable. I just want a tablet that can play Hearthtone when it come out for tablets because I'm a huge nerd.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
So if I want to read books, maybe watch some Netflix, web browse and poo poo post here then a 2013 Nexus 7 would be a good rec?

I don't plan on doing anything heavy with it and it looks like I can VPN/RDP with it.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I'm still undecided whether I want a 10" screen or if 8.4" is enough. My main issue, though, is currently that a lot of the Samsung devices in both sizes seem great on paper (looking at the S and Pro line in particular, as I don't think the Note 10 will get Lollipop), but the WiFi versions all use Samsungs' own chip. I've read a lot about (micro-)stutter in TouchWiz in conjunction with Exynos chips. So, is that something they've managed to fix via software updates or does it still happen? If there's one thing my Galaxy Nexus has made me absolutely hate, it's stutter during routine tasks.

For 8.4", I'm actually leaning towards a Z3 Compact, does anyone here have any experience with that?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Am I going to regret a Kindle Fire HD 6? I just want something that I can watch movies on the go with and I had an iPad for a year and a half that felt like a serious waste of money considering that's all I ever did with it, not to mention it was far too large to be comfortably portable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tomahawk posted:

Am I going to regret a Kindle Fire HD 6? I just want something that I can watch movies on the go with and I had an iPad for a year and a half that felt like a serious waste of money considering that's all I ever did with it, not to mention it was far too large to be comfortably portable.

Yes, at the least get a nexus 7.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I'm thinking of a tablet as an idea for my mother this Christmas, she'd use it for the usual, movies, phone attachment, etc. but she also does semi-professional photography. That being mostly freelance with some contract work. Is a tablet like the nexus 9 or tab S going to be usable for checking out pictures taken on a higher end DSLR, namely, can you get cables if the camera itself has USB micro and use them to pull to the tablet itself? And can you do minor photo work on them? Nothing major like a PS or GIMP run, just cropping, rotation, some color correction and the like.

If it's useful information, her phone is a Nexus 5 and her main smaller camera is a Nikon D3S we got her in 2011.

E: Honestly, if it sounds off, i'm not the photographer of the family, just the engineer. I have no idea of the kind of work that goes into this stuff.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Hi StealthArcher, personally, in addition that your mom is using a Nexus 5, take a look at the Nexus 9 (look 2 sites back to my impressions with that tablet). otherwise is a Apple tablet interesting too for your case of use.

Here you find a review for the shield tablet and Nexus 9.

Nvidia Shield Tablet
A Nexus 9 review with much pics

The size is absolutely perfect from the nexus 9 but some other things a bit bad... much is a individual view of the bad things someone like me has don't like the unstable backside other has no problem with that...
If you look some sites back in this thread you find much info.. take the time.
My suggestion for you if you feel warm with the nexus 9 buy it in google's play store i have only good experience with it if you need support.
You can safe Money if you buy the wifi version your mom can use the nexus 5 as wifi acces point with one clik if she need it.
But and this is a verry bad, negative point for the Nexus 9, it has no SD-Card slot! With a SD-Card slot it is much easyer for your mom to work on the road. At home it is not so a big problem
or use thinks like this USB Card reader for nexus.
The available Bluetooth keyboardis interesting too.

Before you choose a tablet look in the app stores if all apps you want/need are available for your chosen tablet, apps like photoshop for example and so on.

--------------------------------

origami and bone look at the following links

Android 100 Dollars Tablett coming soon
Soon coming Nokia Tablet

---------------------------------

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm guessing XenJ's first language is not English.
No, but the 10 bugs to join this forum are the best investment to push up my english skills, I ever did :shepspends: maybe in a year or two you say to me "you are crappy in the past but now I understood what you wrote".
So I hope at least in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are there any brick & mortar stores carrying the Asus T200? I want to get my hands on one before buying, but all I can find is the T100 (which is probably fairly similar if smaller) and despite people saying it's a Best Buy exclusive none of the stores in 30 miles of me have them on display.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Looking at getting my wife a tablet for xmas.

I'm debating between the Nexus 9 or the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9.

She is not a techy, she just wants things to work. We have a netflix subscription, she'll use my Amazon prime subscription if we get the Kindle.

Both devices look great spec-wise, what I'm torn about is the fact that the Kindle does not provide access to the Google play store unless you root the device and that used to, or still does, break the streaming on the Kindle.

Should I just let her embrace the Lollipop experience and forget the Kindle fire and its video streaming capabilities since we have netflix? Or has the Kindles app store become good enough that there really is loss in not having the google play store?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

n0manarmy posted:

Looking at getting my wife a tablet for xmas.

I'm debating between the Nexus 9 or the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9.

She is not a techy, she just wants things to work. We have a netflix subscription, she'll use my Amazon prime subscription if we get the Kindle.

Both devices look great spec-wise, what I'm torn about is the fact that the Kindle does not provide access to the Google play store unless you root the device and that used to, or still does, break the streaming on the Kindle.

Should I just let her embrace the Lollipop experience and forget the Kindle fire and its video streaming capabilities since we have netflix? Or has the Kindles app store become good enough that there really is loss in not having the google play store?

There is a pretty big loss going from Google Play to Amazon app store. I'm pretty sure Amazon allows non-Kindle Android devices to stream video now, too, so you're not losing that by going with another Android tablet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For what it's worth, even Android Police recommends the iPad Air 2 over a Nexus 9. If price is a factor, an iPad Mini 2 is a very good tablet for the same price or less than a Nexus 9 (a Mini 3 is not worth the extra $100). Of note, Amazon Instant Video is available on iOS.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cool stuff, as im taking a look around I'll just ask about Samsung's offerings. I've heard the Exnyos was a pretty bad misstep, is that so and would the Tab pro be a lot better than the tab s because of it? I'm fairly certain there are micro-usb to lightning connectors, and that an Air 2 should easily handle the camera though.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey folks. I've been putting a lot of thought into getting myself a tablet for the sole purpose of not filling my house with more long boxes for comics. Currently thinking the Samsung Tab 4 10.1 is the way to go, but I don't really know gently caress all except I want something largish because I hate guided view. I'd be just fine with a wifi model, if that's any help.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay goons, recommend me a tablet!

Oh you want information.

Basically we have a Kindle PaperWhite that we're going to give to a friend's daughter for Christmas (With books!). We're looking for a tablet that can replace the Paper white. I was looking at the Kindle Fire, but they don't easily support ChromeCast (I might root it but that kind of defeats the point of a Fire IMO). We don't have Prime or use any of the Kindle streaming apps yet. We have two chromecasts in the house and watch a lot of Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc on them.

Here's the basic requirements I'm looking for
- NOT an iDevice. No interest in Apple products at all.
- Compatible with our Chromecasts
- Can read books on it. Books are the only Amazon thing we do and I know there is a reading app. (She won't be taking it outside so the glare there isn't an issue).
- 7-10" screen.
- "Hybrids" are acceptable, but if windows, I'd prefer the full 8.1 version not the mobile version (For chromecast).
- Budget to not exceed $300 if possible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Congratulations, you're getting a Nexus 7!

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
Most durable tablet for 5 year old boy? Kindle HDX lasted 11 months before screen failed, just buy another HDX or is there a better more durable option? Not really concerned about cost, mostly used for games and netflix.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Is there any reason the Lenovo Tab S8 isn't recommended as much? It seems like a nice tablet for the price, but is the Nexus 7 just way better?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Csixtyfour posted:

Most durable tablet for 5 year old boy? Kindle HDX lasted 11 months before screen failed, just buy another HDX or is there a better more durable option? Not really concerned about cost, mostly used for games and netflix.

Same question, but 3yo and we use Amazon Prime for streaming content. He has been stealing my wife's N10 to play games without destroying the thing so far. Basically it seems to be either the Fire 6/7 HD Kids Ed, a standard 6/7 HD, or a refurbished N7 with a ruggedized case. How awful is the FreeTime selection on the Kid's Ed? I assume you can't get everything available over Prime.

Also, anyone used the SquareTrade protection plan offered through Amazon on the 6/7 HD?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

burntpork posted:

Is there any reason the Lenovo Tab S8 isn't recommended as much? It seems like a nice tablet for the price, but is the Nexus 7 just way better?

Honestly, don't know. It seems to review well, but I've never seen or held one ever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Loucks posted:

Same question, but 3yo and we use Amazon Prime for streaming content. He has been stealing my wife's N10 to play games without destroying the thing so far. Basically it seems to be either the Fire 6/7 HD Kids Ed, a standard 6/7 HD, or a refurbished N7 with a ruggedized case. How awful is the FreeTime selection on the Kid's Ed? I assume you can't get everything available over Prime.

Also, anyone used the SquareTrade protection plan offered through Amazon on the 6/7 HD?

The kids tablet Amazon released has a 2 year, no questions asked, warranty and a free year of Freetime included so you'd probably be better off going that route.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008
I would really like to get my girlfriend a tablet for christmas.

She just bought her first Smartphone (S5) and has since abandoned her laptop. It is really painful to see someone read all night on this tiny display.

I would probably get the Nexus 7, but for some reason it costs around 300€ in Germany at this time, since it is not sold by Google anymore.

My budget does not really allow for any I-products right now.

What other options are there? The main use for this would be reading and watching youtube.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hotzenplotz posted:

She just bought her first Smartphone (S5) and has since abandoned her laptop. It is really painful to see someone read all night on this tiny display.

I would probably get the Nexus 7, but for some reason it costs around 300€ in Germany at this time, since it is not sold by Google anymore.

What other options are there? The main use for this would be reading and watching youtube.

Do you know why she prefers the phone? Display size isn't everything, and she might prefer something that's smaller, easier to hold, and with a higher-DPI display than her laptop for reading.

Have you thought about a Kindle or other e-ink reader? They're incredibly light, the newer displays are very good at what they do, and you can get a nice one for garbage-tablet money.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008
I think it's mainly the form factor - the work laptop is a huge macbook pro. And second she really only browses and watches a few little things.

She has a kindle paperwhite, but the browser on that is not really workable.

Are tablets like the lenovo yoga usable, or really sluggish?

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Also looking to get the missus a tablet. She uses her phone mostly to gossip on FB and watch videos, and would probably watch stuff off of Netflix/Amazon Prime if the screen size was good enough.

Preferences:
-I'd prefer something Android-based since that's what we're used to.
-Durability/warranty is the next preference, as we have a 3 year old son who WILL get his hands on it and WILL try to put it in the dishwasher, feed it to the dog, or stand on it to get to out-of-reach things.
-Biggest problem is price. I'm pretty much limited to spending no more than $125-175, and even that's spending more than I really should right now. But she's worth it, and I know it's something she'll enjoy using.

Is this doable or outside of my budget?

Looking on Amazon, it seems the Tab 4 7" is within my budget (including the 1-year warranty ) but is that at all recommended or am I setting my wife up for a small, shoddy piece of tech?

Professor Moriarty fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 15, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can get a 2013 Nexus 7 on eBay in the $150 range. It's on the older end of things, but still a good tablet.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Hotzenplotz posted:

It`s not perfect for xmas, but maybe you gift your girlfriend a gift certificate for a tablet and wait for this...
Nokia Android Tablet German Link looks like it fulfills all your requirements? For longer reading seasons realy I like the sice of my Nexus 9 its perfect and i can deal with a bit black on sreen by watching HD videos.

Nokia. N1. promotion Link :psyboom:

Otherwise look on ebay but with the euro price it is much money you spend for a Nexus 7 as a second hand device,
especially now that it is no longer available. Be sure you buy a 2013 version and not the 2012!

A special thing is this Medion Tablet 2014, take a look.

Hotzenplotz posted:

I think it's mainly the form factor - the work laptop is a huge macbook pro. And second she really only browses and watches a few little things.

She has a kindle paperwhite, but the browser on that is not really workable.

Are tablets like the lenovo yoga usable, or really sluggish?

Lenovos Yoga Tablet 2 im Test but it cost around 300Euro.

(sorry for the german links goons)

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008

XenJ posted:

information

Thanks a lot! That Nokia/FoxxCon tablet does look interesting, but it will be a while.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Hotzenplotz posted:

Thanks a lot! That Nokia/FoxxCon tablet does look interesting, but it will be a while.

sadly they bring it out first in asia...:( it would be the perfect christmas gift...
If your girlfriend can wait I'm sure it is a good tablet with a nice price but sorry I can´t find out a date when European can buy it. Maybe at the end of January we know more...

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So are any of the $99 Windows 8.1 tablets worth getting?

I just started Christmas shopping and they jumped out at me. Are any of them even dual-core?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Well thread, thanks for the recommendations. I went ahead and got the I pad Air2, this will be my first introduction back into the Apple eco-system since I bought a Ipod video like 10 years ago.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

EugeneJ posted:

I just started Christmas shopping and they jumped out at me. Are any of them even dual-core?

Most of the new Windows budget tablets like the HP Stream are quad core Atoms. They're not as bad as you'd think, but they're not really good, either.

Processor performance is surprisingly strong (more than enough for Office, which is why these things exist), windows 8 is designed to do well on low-end hardware, and some models even come with IPS displays that are better than they have any right to be. IE is arguably the best touch browser out there (yes, really!) and the flash storage means it's more usable than a budget laptop from a couple of years ago.

On the other hand, the 1GB RAM most of them come with is inadequate, and the 16GB flash storage is only OK if you plan to live your entire life in the cloud and keep that Office subscription (with skydrive) active past the first year. Also, the main draw is Office, which is an ongoing subscription cost and not optimized for touch. That means that you'll probably want a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and all of a sudden the price goes up and the portability isn't so good any more.

So, the bottom line is that the new line of ultra-cheap Windows tablets won't make you hate your life like you will with bottom-scraping models from a little while ago, but if it's something you're interested in then you should probably step up from the base model.

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

They're perfect for social media, internet browsing, email, music and watching video. Throw your media on a microSD card and you're golden.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Just a reminder that the $250 refurbished iPad mini retina is a hell of a deal. Aside from the box, it's virtually indistinguishable from a brand new one, and runs iOS 8 like a dream. Needs suited, can't recommended it enough.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mulligan posted:

Just a reminder that the $250 refurbished iPad mini retina is a hell of a deal. Aside from the box, it's virtually indistinguishable from a brand new one, and runs iOS 8 like a dream. Needs suited, can't recommended it enough.

The only difference between it and the newest Mini is it lacks Touch ID. Other than that it has the same specs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Best Buy and Walmart are doing the 16 gb and 32 gb Mini 2 online for $249 and $299 respectively. They are sold out online but I walked into a Walmart an hour ago and they did a price match to their website price and I got a 32 gb for $299, it was marked $399 on the box.