Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Does a really close final result not trigger an automatic recount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

katlington posted:

Looks like its not automatic, but the Libs are considering requesting one:

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/winner-to-be-declared-in-sa-by-election/story-e6frfku9-1227154679654

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Don't they recount multiple times while they are also counting? Like there's layers of counting involved and a court case/stone cold recount is only saved for specific cases and not necessarily close calls?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Anidav posted:

Don't they recount multiple times while they are also counting? Like there's layers of counting involved and a court case/stone cold recount is only saved for specific cases and not necessarily close calls?
This is what I can gather from reading up on the ECSA rules - feel free to correct me.

A formal vote is defined as "we can tell who you wanted to vote for". And this is pretty broad, you can even do 1 2 2 3, or X 2 2 3 or even just X 2 BLANK - on your sheet and it's accepted. Even if you write the number next to the box then draw dirty things on the paper, it's still valid if it clearly indicates who you chose.

However 1 2 X Tick, is an informal vote. You've tried to choose three people for first preferences. Or if you've ticked multiple boxes or done something like 2 2 3 4 - you haven't chosen who is first preference.
In a recount anything informal might get double checked in case something was put aside for being initially too vague, but in most cases are tagged "exhausted" if they don't show a clear first preference.

The Returning Officer is the one who declares the results and decides if a recount is needed.
A recount can be called in a few ways. The Returning Officer can declare one if they feel fit that the results won't be conclusive or for instance if a scrutineer reported something odd that impacts the result.
This can be triggered if the two candidates remaining end in a tie. In which the court of Disputed Returns rechecks any papers. Failing a clear outcome they call a new election.

Or the unsuccessful candidate makes a request in writing within 72 hours. The Returning Officer will then decide whether this gets followed through.
Or you can petition to have it examined by the court, but there has to be some sort of evidence to suggest a good cause to.

I believe Federal elections rules can trigger an automatic recount if the margin is below 100 votes - there doesn't seem to be a case for this in SA elections, I suspect it's at the RO's discretion.

Some people get confused and assume Australia runs by the "past the post" system (whoever gets the most first) but only Britain and the US uses this.
The preferential system means that the votes boil down to two candidates until one has the majority of 50% or greater at final count based on the preferences from other candidates as they're eliminated.

As for preference counting and the maths, A handy fact sheet here.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Does the Bolt report really pull more viewers then Insiders? The last time I remember Bolt making that claim it turned out he was adding together 2 screenings of his show against the Insiders single.

Also, didn't the Ten executives get told to give him a show by Gina? Some praises.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
They probably force people to watch it in prison to bolster the numbers

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Nibbles! posted:

Does the Bolt report really pull more viewers then Insiders? The last time I remember Bolt making that claim it turned out he was adding together 2 screenings of his show against the Insiders single.

Also, didn't the Ten executives get told to give him a show by Gina? Some praises.

Yes, they still add together the multiple viewings in order to get "more viewers than insiders". It's also on right before the news, so you get a lot of overflow viewing.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
itshappening.gif

"Adelaide Now posted:

A LIBERAL MP has launched an extraordinary attack against the Prime Minister and his most trusted adviser Peta Credlin.

Veteran Queensland Liberal MP Warren Entsch has now lodged an official complaint against Mr Abbott with the chief whip Philip Ruddock.

His decision to go public followed the Prime Minister’s claims that Ms Credlin’s critics are sexists.

As Foreign Minister Julie Bishop declined to support the Prime Minister’s claim yesterday that sexism was to blame for attacks on Ms Credlin, she praised her tireless work in the role.

But Mr Entsch accused the Prime Minister’s office undermining cabinet ministers and keeping backbenchers in the dark about major policy chances.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

It's exactly the case again. Only Sharri Markson believes that two screenings means one show outrates another. Also, Gina dropped out of Ten, and I don't think its in much of a position to produce anything at the moment. I think it's more than likely Bolt will have to go to Sky.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

ewe2 posted:

It's exactly the case again. Only Sharri Markson believes that two screenings means one show outrates another. Also, Gina dropped out of Ten, and I don't think its in much of a position to produce anything at the moment. I think it's more than likely Bolt will have to get axed everywhere for all time.

ftfy

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

IslamoNazi posted:

I think it's more than likely Bolt will have to get axed everywhere for all time.

Alas, as long as you have rich liberal poo poo heads with money to burn and media that will accept money for broadcast (ie. always) you will have bolt or poo poo-heel equivalent. You can never make them go away but you can make them irrelevant. The real dream is bolt at 7:30 weeknights with the sole view being himself, re-watching and weeping at his own corporate sponsored irreverence.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Australian Government Solicitor also apparently makes a profit for the goverment, so cutting it is saving money becasue.....

We really do have the stupidest loving goverment.

The Australian described having an IT governance committee as "bizarre" , and then goes on to describe how all these various govt departments IT operations will be merged and then outsourced.

This government is amazingly incompetent. They go and fire all the ITIL type boffins then expect to have any expertise left in government to roll out a massive infotech operation across multiple departments.

How the gently caress would that even work!

Its an astonishingly incompetent government we have right now.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

IslamoNazi posted:

itshappening.gif

I know someone who worked for Sinodinos for about a year before the election, and they say they left because they knew how dysfunctional the government would be and they couldn't be arsed working for such a lovely government. I actually believe them when they say that they had no clue how corrupt Sinodinos was, they just didn't want to work in such a toxic environment. This government tried to force Groupers and Tali and Wets and Dries into a mold together and impose some trickle down unity and they failed and they're dying and it's fabulous.

Anidav posted:

You're right. I've made a terrible cycle of assumptions based on nothing but anger. I cannot refute this.
no. not a satisfactory response. if you hadn't kept posting after this i would have been charitable and assumed that this weak poo poo represented contrition, but no. you changed the subject in the same weak poo poo post and copped to absolutely nothing re: sexism. contrition isn't making a vague non-apology and then changing the subject. no good. poor bugger you your job, poor bugger you your friends, poor bugger you your ethics. that's still your jam. gently caress off, grow up

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 13, 2014

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Haters Objector posted:

Imagine being in that room

ewe2 posted:

It's exactly the case again. Only Sharri Markson believes that two screenings means one show outrates another. Also, Gina dropped out of Ten, and I don't think its in much of a position to produce anything at the moment. I think it's more than likely Bolt will have to go to Sky.

Was just about to post this exact thing. Markson got blasted over Twitter during the week for this error, so of course she's doubled down.

Bolt would be a good fit for Sky, because as much as it tries to deny it, the channel is a right-wing wankfest. The only thing it has going for it is David Speers, and I'm baffled as to why he stays. Watch ABC 24 for breaking news, and watch Sky five minutes later for the same breaking news, once they've finished either a commercial break or an interview with a Coalition backbencher.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SKY COQ posted:

Was just about to post this exact thing. Markson got blasted over Twitter during the week for this error, so of course she's doubled down.

Bolt would be a good fit for Sky, because as much as it tries to deny it, the channel is a right-wing wankfest. The only thing it has going for it is David Speers, and I'm baffled as to why he stays. Watch ABC 24 for breaking news, and watch Sky five minutes later for the same breaking news, once they've finished either a commercial break or an interview with a Coalition backbencher.

They have a show which is Alan Jones and Graham Richardson. Together. Everyday.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Lid posted:

Oh you mean the smash hit Jones + Richo! Wonder how that will fare if ICAC properly calls up Richo.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I can't tell you how stoked I'd be if that monster finally went to jail omg.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Fruity Gordo posted:

I can't tell you how stoked I'd be if that monster finally went to jail omg.

Yes but enough about Alan Jones.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Check out the front page of today's Age for some delightful snaps of gorgeous babies whom Scott Morrison is sending to concentration camp.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is the headline "SEND THESE BOAT BABIES BACK" or "WE ARE loving MONSTERS"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

"Anchor Babies Aweigh"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
This is the non-Murdoch Melbourne daily, so they are fairly critical of the idea of torturing babies

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I thought the current consensus on Fairfax prints is that it's in lockstep with Murdoch's prints. Is The Age different? I haven't run into an issue, all of the newsagents I pass only carry The Australian, The Courier Mail and occasionally The Saturday Paper which I keep telling myself to buy an issue someday.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Fairfax papers are slightly to the left of the murdoch rags, which is to say they don't reprint Der Sturmer articles every day, just most days.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Haters Objector posted:

These are the same people who let dogfucker host two shows

One now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The ABC has a very simplistic graphic on the Abbott government's budget agenda.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

duck monster posted:

Its an astonishingly incompetent government we have right now.

You've left the punchline off. Outsourcing that work for 3x the cost to the same people. That's been the story of the public service for at least a decade as redundancies started being paid and became a torrent when idiots in the last couple of governments (labor and liberal) started to "downsize". It's a con of course and everyone knows it but it makes the books pretend the balance is better than it looks.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Are there any documents showing the increased cost of the government outsourcing call centres to Telstra?

EDIT: Apparently people are complaining about dog breeder laws being introduced in Victoria, one comment in a comments section is saying the RSPCA have been given "nazi-like powers"

Anidav fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 14, 2014

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So finally an FOI request to the US State Dept reveals what we knew to be true all along: David Hicks was used for political reasons because it was damaging Howards chance of reelection.

And what a coincidence - Miranda Devine has put out a really shabby attack piece on Hicks this very day. Gotta keep their eyes away from inconvenient facts!

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

katlington posted:

The libs can grasp at straws and ask to have it recounted a dozen times, it won't change the results. The AEC took their sweet time to run through the votes. I'm sure the results are valid.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lid posted:

The problem isn't that they put them in a room together, it's that they let them out again.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The problem isn't that they put them in a room together, it's that they let them out again.

:itsaholocaustjoke:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Has anyone actually watched that show without killing themselves?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Systematic posted:

The AEC took their sweet time to run through the votes. I'm sure the results are valid.
Woodyatt Is looking at legal considerations to see if the Court of Disputed returns could accept his claims that dogy how to vote cards and other propaganda could have breached electoral rules, and thus trigger a recount. He lost by 226.

The Liberals are also whining to ECSA that the 800+ informal votes could hold the balance of power and want them to check them over again. It's up to the Returning Officer to decide whether that's the case. I suspect the vote will stand short of a smoking gun.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251753962418?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Kevin Rudd's apology is for sale.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It's a reproduction of the document, not the document itself.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

they also won't mail it to anyone

to recap, it's pickup, in canberra, for $200

it may very well be a liberal trap, to trap progressive voters in cages

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
To the surprise of no one we are going to pay through the nose to lease access to telstras rotting copper network because it is "less invasive than installing new fibre" according to the head of NBNco :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I bet it's a better apology than Anidav's.

• Locked thread