Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's literally only one plane I'm missing, and I'm halfway through its research. :v: Just saying the way it is setup is really weird. Plus my last five teammates had rockets and/or bombs equipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Off the top of my head:

F6F
Early Laggs at BR 1.7 and also Yak-1s
Bf-109F1 (kill biplanes in a 109, lol)
F-80C - for every fair match against Venoms and Sea Meteors, they get a pile of matches against props and super early jets.
Canberra/IL-28/B-57, although this is more of a map mechanic problem rather than them actually being super amazing planes
Mustangs of all US types
MG Bearcat, though half the time it faces Griffon spits that are pretty good. Still, the bearcat is ridiculously good.
First Ki-84, which is over a BR lower than the later Ki-84s, because it has slightly worse guns but flies the same
FW-190A4 which is still a 190, but fights at a tier where it has a severe firepower advantage over most everything else, except planes that fly even worse than a 190.

I don't mean to nit pick here, but how can the Ki-84 Ko and P-51 both be overpowered if they face each other on a regular basis? Wouldn't that mean they cancel each other out?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Felony posted:

I don't mean to nit pick here, but how can the Ki-84 Ko and P-51 both be overpowered if they face each other on a regular basis? Wouldn't that mean they cancel each other out?

Because it requires the Ki-84 to be up tiered for that to happen.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
It's not even the fact that one is .7 lower.

I don't get the logic behind your statement. The existence of other undertiered planes doesn't mean that one specific undertiered plane isn't. There are other planes that are not undertiered that will have to fight all these undertiered planes.
Two wrongs make a right, is what you're saying.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Because it requires the Ki-84 to be up tiered for that to happen.

I can't remember a single RB match (events not included) I have been in using the Ki-84 where I did not see Mustangs. Do I just have horrible luck? Hell I didn't even realize P-51 were Tier 4 until you posted this.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Most people flying 4.3 don't get an also undertiered plane to fight the Mustangs in.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Off the top of my head there are just weird gaps in BR now with fighters. Germany has nothing 3.7 rather than the hitlerbolt. I can't recall all of America's BRs, but I think there are zero fighters between 4 and 5. Japan lacks anything between 2.3(7?) and 4.3 that are not Zeros, which are all overtiered against competent players. They then get hit again with nothing between 5 and 6 except for Zeros.

Russia, thanks to the best plane ever, Yaks, have pretty much everything except for a prop that's > 5.7.

I don't play enough UK to keep up with the BRs, but I recall them having a plane about every step of BR.

This is all subject to poor memory and ignoring heavy fighters, but the spreadsheet balancing really fucks things up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The King Tiger is an absolute beast in this game and I love it. You just perch yourself somewhere with a good line of sight and blow away everyone foolish enough to duel you at long range.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Man either I got too used to RB flight mechanics or arcade planes are floaty pieces of poo poo that gain way to much energy, because playing arcade tanks, I can't seem to control my bomber speed and get more precise bombing of ground targets I'm used to in RB.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Got stuck fighting a squad of those on Kursk, couldn't find a place to get up close and personal due to how they had a perfect few of anyone trying to get near and would nail them from a distance without being in danger of any kind of return fire.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Off the top of my head:

F6F
Early Laggs at BR 1.7 and also Yak-1s
Bf-109F1 (kill biplanes in a 109, lol)
F-80C - for every fair match against Venoms and Sea Meteors, they get a pile of matches against props and super early jets.
Canberra/IL-28/B-57, although this is more of a map mechanic problem rather than them actually being super amazing planes
Mustangs of all US types
MG Bearcat, though half the time it faces Griffon spits that are pretty good. Still, the bearcat is ridiculously good.
First Ki-84, which is over a BR lower than the later Ki-84s, because it has slightly worse guns but flies the same
FW-190A4 which is still a 190, but fights at a tier where it has a severe firepower advantage over most everything else, except planes that fly even worse than a 190.

I suppose it'd be better to get the IL-28 before the Mig-9 to milk the broken map mechanics for the rewards?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
You do like dakka? Then have some dakka: http://devblog.warthunder.com/2014/12/12/steel-generals-m13-mgmc/

quote:

The M13 MGMC(Multiple Gun Motor Carriage) was built as the result of the US army’s ongoing need for an anti-aircraft vehicle to protect its ground based mechanised units. From January 1943, 1103 of these units were built with 628 of them going on to be converted to the MGMC Quad gunned M16.

The M13 consisted of twin .50 cal machine-guns mounted on an electrically operated turret on a modified M3 half-track personnel carrier.

Each gun could fire between 400-500 rounds per minute. Standard ammunition feed boxes of 200 rounds capacity were provided up to a total load out of 5000 rounds. Fire control was given by a Navy Mark IX reflex sight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Twin 50.cals is pretty terrible in comparison to what the Germans get.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Tank Boy Ken posted:

This event is awesome (for squads of 2). You can fly with mixed nations, so stuff like a 109/F6F or 190 with A6M2 is all possible :D.

Dude. I thought it was 4v4 and would have poo poo que times.

lol okay after having actually started the game, i'm down for this. :getin:

Thief fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 13, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I see BR 5+ Germany is still a miserable experience.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
My first .gif, wherein me and my 9K get super lucky, and two other guys don't.

http://gfycat.com/ElementaryEthicalDuckbillplatypus

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy gently caress I'm so bad at the KI-61 otsu in Realistic. Getting out-turned and out-dove by Spitfires. loving ow. :negative: It isn't as good at turning as I thought but it is kinda good at diving I suppose.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Holy gently caress this game is loving trash at times. My incendiary rounds never burn up a plane, yet twice in a loving row I burn up to some loving scrub that caught one round into me.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

So much of it depends on your aim, what you're shooting, the enemy plane, existing critical damage to engine / fuel tanks, and a heavy helping of random chance. You can definitely improve your chances by targeting engines or selectively engaging certain aircraft (Hs 129s used to be dipped in gasoline prior to takeoff, for instance), but if I were you I would just focus on shooting planes and taking the time bad luck with the good.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Is it possible for a tanks BR to be lower than reserve?

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!
Now that I've got Shadowplay I guess I'll start posting videos. Here's something a little more sedate than the usual video in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJmRMMLvyo

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fighting against German teams is always such a goddamn pain. My teammates are usually dead by the time I see an enemy, the Germans are likely 1km higher than me, and they loving work together unlike every other nation, excepting sometimes Japan. Should I just give in and succumb to the 109? :negative:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Yes. Fly all the nations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Flannelette posted:

Is it possible for a tanks BR to be lower than reserve?

I'm more concerned if it's possible for that to fire exclusively incendiaries.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I'm more concerned if it's possible for that to fire exclusively incendiaries.

I'm sure it'll probably have a Tracer belt. I'm going to paint mine red.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 13, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Pearl Harbour event is just like being back in arcade mode.

With predictable results.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AhrimanPK posted:

Now that I've got Shadowplay I guess I'll start posting videos. Here's something a little more sedate than the usual video in this thread.

loving brilliant.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

AhrimanPK posted:

Jean M Jarre, nice.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Those rear wheels on the rudder of the J7W1 do indeed have a purpose. The retractable rear wheels broke off, due to ... erm a badly maintained runway. Honestly! I didn't do nothing. There is still enough ground clearence for the prop. Was a soft landing, repaired and shot down the last enemy jet/player (P-80).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Those rear wheels on the rudder of the J7W1 do indeed have a purpose. The retractable rear wheels broke off, due to ... erm a badly maintained runway. Honestly! I didn't do nothing. There is still enough ground clearence for the prop. Was a soft landing, repaired and shot down the last enemy jet/player (P-80).

I completely forgot to put my gear down one time and all that happened was rolling on those little wheels and breaking off the guns. Since guns aren't really a critical piece, it didn't affect my ability to repair at all, really.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Would I be right in assuming the Zero with the best bang for BR ratio would be the A6M3? Doesn't seem any worse armed than the later versions and it sits at 3.7.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Ludicro posted:

Would I be right in assuming the Zero with the best bang for BR ratio would be the A6M3? Doesn't seem any worse armed than the later versions and it sits at 3.7.

Yes. It also comes with quite decent high speed handling (compared to others Zeroes).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I still maintain that the P82 needs to be flown by 2 pilots at the same time in ultra-realistic mode.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

It'd be funny if they could separate and fly on their own if split in the middle.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SquadronROE posted:

I still maintain that the P82 needs to be flown by 2 pilots at the same time in ultra-realistic mode.

With how often I get pilot sniped in the piece of poo poo I'm convinced that cocksucker in the right cockpit doesn't do a drat thing anyway. :argh:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Yes. It also comes with quite decent high speed handling (compared to others Zeroes).

Ah good stuff, clipped wing supremacy.

I've not managed to do it yet, but whats the G+speed limit I can expect to break my wings off?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So my German friend has discovered that the BF-110 is very good at killing Tier 4 and 5 stuff. He always leads off with it and gets at least one kill, which gets him Hercules and Beowulf and causes the chat to get a bit angry. Especially when he popped a P-80 with it. Pubbies just really love to go head to head with what is essentially a sacrificial plane.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I have the most kills in any plane with the 110, something like 85. poo poo rules

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Why do tanks STILL move like they're gliding on ice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So how good is gaijin support? I ask because I just messed up and ordered the mustang pack through their webstore twice and need them to cancel one of the transactions. I contacted the support, but I really hope the are good and aren't going to screw me on this.

• Locked thread