Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Sure, brag about the fact that you have a gamer boyfriend. :rolleyes:

Also I got to play Sheriff of Nottingham. It was enjoyable enough, but I kinda feel like there was not enough information, it was pretty much purely reading people to try to guess if they are bluffing or not.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

apostateCourier posted:

How exactly does he force people?

He's a bartender so he mixes up everyone tons of awesome drinks and then we feel guilty for saying no when he wants to play munchkin, mostly.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

he actually forces people to play it with him. [...] How the gently caress do I get him to stop?
Call the cops and kick him out of your life.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

He's a bartender so he mixes up everyone tons of awesome drinks and then we feel guilty for saying no when he wants to play munchkin, mostly.

I'll play Munchkin with your boyfriend for free drinks.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Pierzak posted:

Call the cops and kick him out of your life.

something less final. Is there a less lovely game that he'd like that is somewhat like munchkin but not as horrible?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

something less final. Is there a less lovely game that he'd like that is somewhat like munchkin but not as horrible?

Pathfinder adventure card game maybe

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Smash'Up scratches the same itch. It is not great but its better than Munchkin and he would like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZpMEVQYBO8

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Have you asked him why he likes Munchkin? What aspect of it appeals to him? Technically Boss Monster is less horrible (because it ends), but I wouldn't recommend that in any capacity.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Epic Spells Wars. It's got a more definite ending and is silly blast each other to smitherins.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
People always say Pax Porifera something is very munchkin like

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Zombie #246 posted:

People always say Pax Porifera something is very munchkin like
I would not suggest a straight switch from Munchkin to PP. PP has Munchkin-but-fixed elements but it is not an easy game by any stretch of the imagination.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Pax Porfiriana is significantly heavier than Munchkin with lots of rules to keep in your head and a somewhat opaque victory condition. Also unless your boyfriend has an interest in revolutionary Mexico it won't be nearly as instantly thematically appealing.

It is a really good game though.

I think I've seen Cutthroat Caverns or Red Dragon Inn recommended as munchkin-likes but I haven't played them, no idea if they're just different flavours of poo poo. Alternatively there's Gauntlet of Fools, which is slightly-better munchkin as far as I can tell.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Cosmic Encounter was recommended to me as a munchkin buster when I was first getting into games.

Anyone know if that new Tash Kalar printing is out/good? I see two versions on amazon, I was waiting for the nicer components before snagging that. And also, any news of a caylus reprint?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I don't believe it's out, at least not the US yet?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm excited to try Jungle Speed out this weekend, since I decided to keep that for myself, and I'm giving out a free copy of Fauxcabulary as my white elephant gift.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cocks Cable posted:

Epic Spells Wars. It's got a more definite ending and is silly blast each other to smitherins.
Echoing this one. It got my friends off Munchkin.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Poison Mushroom posted:

Echoing this one. It got my friends off Munchkin.

Haha it's like you guys are weening people off of cigarettes with nicotine patches. I mean if it works, it works!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I want to buy Space Alert for my dad for Christmas and I went to BoardGameGeek which says http://www.worldatplaygames.com has new copies (as part of some kind of warehouse clearing apparently). The actual worldatplaygames website says they're out of stock -- is this a thing where BoardGameGeek has some kind of special access? The automated email I received says they have until 12/18 to contact me, is the turnaround usually fairly quick? Or should I start looking for some backup games for my dad?

e: oh wait I see this game is still widely available in a bunch of places, I guess I'll just see if they contact me and if not buy it somewhere else :shobon:

Can anyone recommend some fun games for competitive backstabbing jerks? I was looking at the Game of Thrones and BSG games, but Lifeboats and Goblins Inc. look fun too

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 13, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's pretty cheap at Amazon so you might want to cut that order and got through there if you want to be sure about the game coming in on time.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

T-Bone posted:

Can anyone recommend some fun games for competitive backstabbing jerks? I was looking at the Game of Thrones and BSG games, but Lifeboats and Goblins Inc. look fun too

Diplomacy. See how strong your friendship really is.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I did not realize Talisman has had like 3 or 4 more expansions since I sold it :psyduck:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Tekopo posted:

I would not suggest a straight switch from Munchkin to PP. PP has Munchkin-but-fixed elements but it is not an easy game by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm still waiting on my turn from that. Pretty sure I was finally going to make the bank I bought a long time ago.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Haha it's like you guys are weening people off of cigarettes with nicotine patches. I mean if it works, it works!
Epic Spell Wars isn't the best game ever, but it scratches the same itch that people can have for Munchkin, while being infinitely more bearable, even if the humor is exceptionally... let's say exceptionally Superjail. So, for the sole benefit of being 'a game that I can regularly convince people to play instead of Munchkin', I will defend it until the day I die.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Picked up Libertalia on an Amazon sale. Played it once and had a good time, hopefully it is as fun as it was the first time we played it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What lets me know what edition of Tash-Kalar I'm looking at and does the newest edition include the expansion or not?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Epic Spell Wars isn't the best game ever, but it scratches the same itch that people can have for Munchkin, while being infinitely more bearable, even if the humor is exceptionally... let's say exceptionally Superjail. So, for the sole benefit of being 'a game that I can regularly convince people to play instead of Munchkin', I will defend it until the day I die.

So many times, this.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I really dig Epic Spell Wars as a bit of light filler. It's goofy and plays reasonably quickly, but gives you some room to build the right spell for the job. It's not displacing Love Letter or anything, but it has a place on my shelf.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In response to a handful of questions:

What edition of Tash Kalar is this?
Z-Man games made the lovely version, CGE will make the new, better version

Caylus reprint
I haven't heard of any plans for a 2015 reprint. Your best bet is to hit BGG and check the trades or marketplace. Don't pay $90 for it, because the day you do is the day they announce a reprint.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

My boyfriend plays Munchkin. Like he actually forces people to play it with him. He also gets us to play Flux. How the gently caress do I get him to stop? It's like torture. I've tried introducing him to plenty of other fun boardgames but he retains a horrible interest in both of them. Is there another game that is at the very least less bad?

Bubble-T posted:

I think I've seen Cutthroat Caverns or Red Dragon Inn recommended as munchkin-likes but I haven't played them, no idea if they're just different flavours of poo poo. Alternatively there's Gauntlet of Fools, which is slightly-better munchkin as far as I can tell.

Red Dragon Inn is better than Munchkin by a country mile. Of course, that isn't saying much.

The quick description is: Instead of being about a dungeon crawl, it's about the adventurers at the inn after said dungeon crawl, relaxing with some drinking and gambling. Basically, each turn you take an action, which usually wounds another adventurer, starts a round of gambling or does something else useful. Then, you take a drink. Damage reduces your fortitude, which starts at 20. Drinking increases your alcohol content, which starts at 0. If they meet, you're unconscious. If you run out of money (usually from gambling), they kick you out. Last adventurer standing wins.

Like Munchkin, there's a lot of reacting to things, with cards that say "When you take damage from a player, deal that player 2 damage" or something. The difference is you always draw up on your turn, so there's no waiting to loot multiple rooms or build up to resources. There's also multiple ways to affect people (booze, damage, gold), so if someone is unwounded but poor, you can try and eliminate them by bankrupting them. There are now more than 20 different characters who each play differently.

I've always had fun with this game whenever it gets broken out. I'm sure this thread probably hates it since it's really light. One minor problem I would say is that some of the older printings of cards are not as clear about the rules as they could be, but later expansion characters have the cards more clearly explained. I don't know if earlier sets have had their wordings changed in later printings, but any group that's dealt with Munchkin is probably used to weird rules-lawyering. I also think it gets unwieldy above 6. Still, it has that screw-your-friends mentality, the fantasy setting, the humor, and it's about drinking. I think it's an excellent choice to try and replace that bad habit.

e: I just realized that I should add that drinking in this game involves drawing a card with a creative fantasy beverage on it, like Mead, Elvish Wine or Orcish Rotguy. So he might like it for that too, as a bartender.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 13, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, it's been a while since someone invoked the goon hivemind in this thread.

This thread loves light games! Love Letter, Coup, Hanabi, Resistance, Dixit, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf all come to mind. The general theme seems to be that heavy games should test your ability to understand, build, or manipulate systems, while lighter games should challenge your abilities of deduction or bluffing.

Red Dragon Inn is a game that I have never played, but watching it a bunch of times as I wait for it to end (a sensation I'm sure I'd experience while playing) makes me not want to. The art and components are nice, I'll give it that.

This is coming from a person who keeps a copy of Cthulhu Dice in his gaming bag, a game which is the gaming equivalent of marshmallow fluff.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

T-Bone posted:

Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery is pretty good for this type of play. Every round you are wheeling, dealing, extorting, and betting on human dog fights. A majority of the cards are about screwing over others and a lot of the times you'll need help from others to play them. If you are at all a fan of the show, then you'll find the theme pitch perfect.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Red Dragon Inn is a game that far out stays it's welcome, much like Munchkin. It also includes player elimination. Whether or not that's good in this particular instance is up to you.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Red Dragon Inn is the kind of game that does not scale well. Any more than about 4 and you might as well be playing another game entirely while you wait for your turn to come around.

e: Tonight I learned that Sheriff of Nottingham is highly enjoyable even if you suck at lying.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 13, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gimnbo posted:

e: Tonight I learned that Sheriff of Nottingham is highly enjoyable even if you suck at lying.

You can suck at lying, just be good at bribery.

So like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I played Xia today. God, ugh. There was some real potential involved, like I did like the Tetris equipment (although I wish there were more than just iterations of the same systems with higher numbers), I like how your ships kept upgrades as you rose in tiers, and pick up and deliver is a pretty tried and true concept. But that seems to be about the extent of the designers' creativity, since everything else about the mechanics is the laziest thing imaginable. Want to move? Roll a die! Want to shoot something? Roll a die! Want to roll a die? Roll a die! The last one may be an exaggeration, but God. And it's not like the same sort of randomness of say Eldritch or even Arkham Horror, since your die roll is not a pass or fail thing. poo poo, I might have felt better if you just straight up failed to initiate your engine, than to roll a 1, 1, and 2 to roll to move, while your friend gets a 5, 5 and 6 (actually happened). Die rolls range from anything from a somewhat reasonable D6 to a goddamn D20, so the range is HUUUUGE.

Quest rewards, which often take a good number of turns to even START, have variable rewards, so a quest that you started may only be worth 1k money, which might buy you a lovely ship system, while your friend's, whose quest may be of comparable difficulty, will be worth 5k money, which can buy you an entire ship upgrade or a max and a medium level ship system, all based on a D20. The absolute worst implementation of this is with any sort of stellar anomaly, like an asteroid field, where you roll a D20. On a 11-20, nothing happens. On a 1-10, not only do you take damage, you take damage equal to the number you rolled. So imagine my horror when I passed through an asteroid field, not realizing this, and rolling a 9. My ship had 10 HPs, and all that damage crippled my systems.

Oh yeah, did you know that if you roll a natural 20, you get a victory point?

God, I don't think I've been so disappointed in a game since Android. The weird thing is that it probably wouldn't even take that much effort to make it work, but the designers just decided to give up at some point and focused on the admittedly cool physical components.

On a more positive note, I played two games of Castle of Mad King Ludwig and that was really fun. Much better than Suburbia, which tends to get a bit topdecky and doesn't play as well with more people, whereas the semi-draft/negotiation aspect of being the Master Builder was really fun. I also found the game a lot more elegant overall, as multiple times in Suburbia I'd be forgetting or wondering if I applied one of my district bonuses. In Castles, most of the rooms only really care about adjoining rooms, so there's less need to scan your entire tableau to calculate Optimal Plays™.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

A teaser:

EDIT: Noticed the issues on the right hand border, will be fixed in the new thread.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 13, 2014

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

I would recommend Cutthroat Caverns as a direct upgrade to Munchkin.

Basically, you fight a series of monsters as a team, but only the last hit actually counts for anything, so everyone is trying to compete with each other to get that last hit in. If you step on each others' toes too much, the monsters will do more damage to you and you're more likely to have party members die, which will mean less people to take on the next monster.

It certainly has that 'first person to attack after everyone else runs out of Screw You cards wins' factor that Munchkin is rightfully pilloried for, but at the same time the game won't extend out for an hour after it feels it should have ended, and I still haven't seen a game that does 'semi-coop' better.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

My problem with Epic Spell Wars is it's tended to drag on when I played it. Some people get AP about which cards to play, probably because you have to decide how many cards you're playing, which cards to play, how to combine them, remember to look at the symbols etc. Add that to playing a four player game to two points, where everyone is obviously going to do everything they can to prevent anyone with one point from getting another, until everyone has one point.

I can't believe I'm even spending this tiny bit of effort considering the relative merits of three bad games, but given the choice between Epic Spell Wars, Munchkin and Smash Up, I still think I'd pick Smash Up.

GrandpaPants posted:

On a more positive note, I played two games of Castle of Mad King Ludwig and that was really fun. Much better than Suburbia, which tends to get a bit topdecky and doesn't play as well with more people, whereas the semi-draft/negotiation aspect of being the Master Builder was really fun. I also found the game a lot more elegant overall, as multiple times in Suburbia I'd be forgetting or wondering if I applied one of my district bonuses. In Castles, most of the rooms only really care about adjoining rooms, so there's less need to scan your entire tableau to calculate Optimal Plays™.

Ludwig looks great and I can't wait to play it, but doesn't it have an entire subcategory of rooms that care about your entire tableau (the downstairs rooms I think)?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

You can suck at lying, just be good at bribery.

So like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I played Xia today. God, ugh. There was some real potential involved, like I did like the Tetris equipment (although I wish there were more than just iterations of the same systems with higher numbers), I like how your ships kept upgrades as you rose in tiers, and pick up and deliver is a pretty tried and true concept. But that seems to be about the extent of the designers' creativity, since everything else about the mechanics is the laziest thing imaginable. Want to move? Roll a die! Want to shoot something? Roll a die! Want to roll a die? Roll a die! The last one may be an exaggeration, but God. And it's not like the same sort of randomness of say Eldritch or even Arkham Horror, since your die roll is not a pass or fail thing. poo poo, I might have felt better if you just straight up failed to initiate your engine, than to roll a 1, 1, and 2 to roll to move, while your friend gets a 5, 5 and 6 (actually happened). Die rolls range from anything from a somewhat reasonable D6 to a goddamn D20, so the range is HUUUUGE.

Quest rewards, which often take a good number of turns to even START, have variable rewards, so a quest that you started may only be worth 1k money, which might buy you a lovely ship system, while your friend's, whose quest may be of comparable difficulty, will be worth 5k money, which can buy you an entire ship upgrade or a max and a medium level ship system, all based on a D20. The absolute worst implementation of this is with any sort of stellar anomaly, like an asteroid field, where you roll a D20. On a 11-20, nothing happens. On a 1-10, not only do you take damage, you take damage equal to the number you rolled. So imagine my horror when I passed through an asteroid field, not realizing this, and rolling a 9. My ship had 10 HPs, and all that damage crippled my systems.

Oh yeah, did you know that if you roll a natural 20, you get a victory point?

God, I don't think I've been so disappointed in a game since Android. The weird thing is that it probably wouldn't even take that much effort to make it work, but the designers just decided to give up at some point and focused on the admittedly cool physical components.

I have the same general opinion (wrote about it a page or two ago). I backed it, and have posted on BGG a ton about it. The game needs a lot of houserules to fix it up into something more playable.

Though, the asteroid field that crippled you can be negated with shields, so never mine or venture through them without some.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Scyther posted:

Ludwig looks great and I can't wait to play it, but doesn't it have an entire subcategory of rooms that care about your entire tableau (the downstairs rooms I think)?

It does, but that's the only class; so essentially, if you don't buy any (or more than one or two) downstairs rooms, you don't have to worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh hey, the new thread is UP!

• Locked thread