Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tithin posted:

Yeah, I got the Audiobook from Audible. How the gently caress am I meant to get that story short of piracy? :\

I'm not sure even that's possible, it appears to be print-only. Someone would have to physically scan the Waterstone's editions of the books that have the shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure even that's possible, it appears to be print-only. Someone would have to physically scan the Waterstone's editions of the books that have the shorts.

For a long while, ebook pirates did just that - you'd have been surprised just how comprehensive the scanned book collection on pirate sites were, before ebooks were standard for every single release. They even had huge numbers of people actually take this scanned input, put it through programs designed to turned scanned pages into text, proofread the countless errors this inevitably produced, and then formatted the goods to not look too terrible on a ebook reader. :psyduck:. You could expect most of the popular releases in most genres, along with every single romance novel ever released in the history of mankind, in a somewhat readable form a week or two after release.

I would be surprised if anyone bothers doing that nowadays for anything short of old classics or something, though, yet alone an ultra limited edition short story for some small series.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Wolpertinger posted:

I would be surprised if anyone bothers doing that nowadays for anything short of old classics or something, though, yet alone an ultra limited edition short story for some small series.

Then you need to educate yourself about sites like Project Gutenberg and its associated Distributed Proofreaders.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The short story isn't vital or gives you any more information about the main plot aside from literally the kid was there.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

daggerdragon posted:

Then you need to educate yourself about sites like Project Gutenberg and its associated Distributed Proofreaders.

Well yeah of course - I mostly meant pirates in particular probably don't want to put that effort forward any more. At the time it was often the only eBook form of many books and in some cases the only way to find a book without buying it used off eBay for 100$ so there was more motivation. Now ebooks are a dime a dozen so the groups that did this disbanded, as far as I know.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey, Tuesday is a hell of a day for urban fantasy. Just FYI.

Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London) finally releases in the US, for those of us who don't feel like risking our Kindle libraries by circumventing region locking.

We also get Firefight by Brandon Sanderson, sequel to Steelheart.

And the third Libriomancer book, Unbound, comes out tomorrow too.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fuuuuccck. My free time is now crying.

I hope you're happy ConfusedUS. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ha! I just found out about Unbound about 30 minutes ago. I was browsing Amazon and it popped up in my recommendations. I clicked it and went "oh gently caress that's tuesday!"

I'm totally reading Firefight first. My son read Steelheart and loved it. I can talk about these books with him now. We had lots of good discussions about Harry Potter.

Most of the books I read are a bit too mature for him, but Firefight/Steelheart are basically YA books like Harry Potter, so it's fair game. :)

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

ConfusedUs posted:

Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London) finally releases in the US, for those of us who don't feel like risking our Kindle libraries by circumventing region locking.

Jesus, that's a good day.

And perfect timing, too- I just finished a book I was reading.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Dang and I was looking for some books to read, too!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

I was re-listening to the Rivers of London audiobooks anyway, so this will be a good week.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Wade Wilson posted:

I was re-listening to the Rivers of London audiobooks anyway, so this will be a good week.

The Rivers of London audiobooks are fantastic - Kobna Holdbrook-Smith's vocal work is just amazing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Well, the libriomancer book was weird.

Spoilers I don't know where the gently caress the series goes from here, this was a hell of a change to the status quo. Magic out in the open, Gutenberg dead and all the locks on books destroyed. The book was also disjointed and felt almost rushed or incomplete.

Also the stuff between chapters made the chronology confusing and weird, though I appreciated most of them. The letter Isaac's brother sent him was a great callout and gulping even if there is no reaction in the text. I honestly don't see how you follow up on any of this poo poo.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I looked into the rivers of London series but couldn't find it on audible. A quick Google search told me the title was changed to Midnight Riot in the US.

Seriously? The US title of philosophers stone being changed was bad enough, but now the stupid Americans just aren't capable of seeing the word London?

Maybe there's a good explanation and I'm overreacting, but that's just ridiculous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mastajake posted:

I looked into the rivers of London series but couldn't find it on audible. A quick Google search told me the title was changed to Midnight Riot in the US.

Seriously? The US title of philosophers stone being changed was bad enough, but now the stupid Americans just aren't capable of seeing the word London?

Maybe there's a good explanation and I'm overreacting, but that's just ridiculous.

I would bet because "Rivers of London" sounds like a pretty 'passive' sounding title but Midnight Riot sounds more exciting and they wanted to emphasize the latter to draw people in. Without context "Rivers of London" sounds like a history book or whatever and that unfortunately can make people gloss over it. The cover is also a lot more dramatic looking which seems to back this up. (Ignoring the whitewashing accusation.)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mastajake posted:

The initial publisher (editor?) decided that the books needed to be heavily adapted to be suitable to the US public but that seemed to go away after they were smash successes in the UK and fairly successful in the US. The audio books aren't touched though, they apparently just have a woman saying "Midnight Riot" when the narrator reads out the name of the book, nothing else.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mastajake posted:

To defend the American renaming a bit, I thought that they didn't want the initial book title to be identical to the name of the book series, which is the way books have been published for decades (I'm honestly not thinking of any book series where the first book title is the same as the series title). Also because the book is about a ghost starting a riot and the river gods and goddesses aren't really the main plot point yet.

So, you know, Midnight Riot is the first book of the Rivers of London series. Same as Storm Front is the first book of the Dresden Files. :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ImpAtom posted:

I would bet because "Rivers of London" sounds like a pretty 'passive' sounding title but Midnight Riot sounds more exciting and they wanted to emphasize the latter to draw people in. Without context "Rivers of London" sounds like a history book or whatever and that unfortunately can make people gloss over it. The cover is also a lot more dramatic looking which seems to back this up. (Ignoring the whitewashing accusation.)

Yeah, I think the American publisher wanted a dramatic-sounding title and was worried American fantasy audiences wouldn't want to read a book about London's rivers. What they missed is that "dramatic" = "generic" in most modern book titles, and that the American fantasy audience is incredibly anglo-philic.

The funny thing is that the books have not sold well at all in America. Aaronovitch has stated on his blog, fairly recently, that he has significantly higher book sales in Germany than he does in the U.S.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I think the American publisher wanted a dramatic-sounding title and was worried American fantasy audiences wouldn't want to read a book about London's rivers. What they missed is that "dramatic" = "generic" in most modern book titles, and that the American fantasy audience is incredibly anglo-philic.

The funny thing is that the books have not sold well at all in America. Aaronovitch has stated on his blog, fairly recently, that he has significantly higher book sales in Germany than he does in the U.S.

It's because we all move to 10 Downing Street when the books get UK kindle releases four months ahead of the US release.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

To defend the American renaming a bit, I thought that they didn't want the initial book title to be identical to the name of the book series, which is the way books have been published for decades (I'm honestly not thinking of any book series where the first book title is the same as the series title).

Mistborn?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tunicate posted:

Mistborn?

Technically the name of that book is Mistborn: The Final Empire.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

computer parts posted:

Technically the name of that book is Mistborn: The Final Empire.

It's the first book in The Final Empire trilogy, and also the first one in the overall Mistborn series, making it a rare twofer.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, is there anything, aside from it being a convenient shorthand, that officially calls it the Rivers of London series as opposed to Some Books About Magic Police?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

docbeard posted:

Also, is there anything, aside from it being a convenient shorthand, that officially calls it the Rivers of London series as opposed to Some Books About Magic Police?

Nope audible for one just call it the Peter Grant series.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Peter Grant is about as generic a name short of Mike Smith.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wade Wilson posted:

To defend the American renaming a bit, I thought that they didn't want the initial book title to be identical to the name of the book series, which is the way books have been published for decades (I'm honestly not thinking of any book series where the first book title is the same as the series title).

Otherland springs immediately to mind, though I guess technically the first book has been renamed to City of Golden Shadow, probably for this very reason.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well, that'll teach me to pop into the Dresden Files thread and negligently flick a mouse over spoilers without fully reading they were for Libriomancer book 3 that I'm a third of the way through, rather than continued discussion on the Peter Grant stuff I gave up on and has filled the thread for so long. Just caught one sentence but there's enough regrets packed into it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Otherland springs immediately to mind, though I guess technically the first book has been renamed to City of Golden Shadow, probably for this very reason.

I think I bought my copy of Otherland not long after the turn of the century, and it is prominently named "Otherland, Volume 1: City of Golden Shadow". When did this change happen?

Edit: I have one more example. David Farland wrote (is writing? I dunno. I stopped reading a long time ago) a series called "The Runelords". Book 1 is called "The Runelords". Published in 1998, so after Otherland.

Edit 2: poo poo, one more. The Hunger Games.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 8, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Does second book count? Because, y'know, Gormenghast...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Grundulum posted:

I think I bought my copy of Otherland not long after the turn of the century, and it is prominently named "Otherland, Volume 1: City of Golden Shadow". When did this change happen?

Edit: I have one more example. David Farland wrote (is writing? I dunno. I stopped reading a long time ago) a series called "The Runelords". Book 1 is called "The Runelords". Published in 1998, so after Otherland.

It may very well have been with the paperback release. I know the first edition hardcover just says Otherland.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mortanis posted:

Well, that'll teach me to pop into the Dresden Files thread and negligently flick a mouse over spoilers without fully reading they were for Libriomancer book 3 that I'm a third of the way through, rather than continued discussion on the Peter Grant stuff I gave up on and has filled the thread for so long. Just caught one sentence but there's enough regrets packed into it.

To be fair, the post does explicitly say that its discussing Libriomancer.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mortanis posted:

This is what happens to people who don't like the peter grant books.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

jivjov posted:

To be fair, the post does explicitly say that its discussing Libriomancer.

Right. I never said it was their fault.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'll just leave this new livejournal post from Jim Butcher here:

http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/4837.html?nojs=1

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SystemLogoff posted:

I'll just leave this new livejournal post from Jim Butcher here:

http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/4837.html?nojs=1

:patriot:

Professional writers and actors always bring such skill with words when speaking on severe issues. I love it. I love how he brings his morals into his story's too, characters representing a bastion of strength against the dark.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Except when he goes off on awkward tangents like the homosexuality talk. Goddamn was that some terribly ham-fisted poo poo.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Except when he goes off on awkward tangents like the homosexuality talk. Goddamn was that some terribly ham-fisted poo poo.

Harry is a ham-fisted character, though.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Where was this? Or do you mean in the books, I remember something like that coming up in Cold Front?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

OneTwentySix posted:

Where was this? Or do you mean in the books, I remember something like that coming up in Cold Front?

Harrys conversation with Titania just prior to confronting the lesser queens on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Harry is a ham-fisted character, though.

Yeah I meant from the story since the guy said he likes how Butcher brings his morals into his stories.