Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Thread, I am in a jam. Editor wants an example of the kind of map I want in ~my book~ (regrettably it does need a map). I'm looking for something clean, graphically striking, readable, and personable. Got any favorites? So far my strongest candidate to mimic is a map of the Hundred Acre Wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The map in Watership Down is pretty similar to that in Winnie the Pooh. Other favorites are the Earthsea map in LeGuin's Other Tales, the map in Dianna Wynne Jones' Tough Guide to Fantasyland (keep looking at it!), and the map in early editions of The Great Hunt that had a heavily illustrated thick border around a fairly simply drawn map.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The map from the first Kushiel Trilogy wasn't a bad example as I recall.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Thread, I am in a jam. Editor wants an example of the kind of map I want in ~my book~ (regrettably it does need a map). I'm looking for something clean, graphically striking, readable, and personable. Got any favorites? So far my strongest candidate to mimic is a map of the Hundred Acre Wood.

Fantastic, historical, or modernist?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hm, good question. It's a secondary world but there's no overt magic. The map's supposed to be a political operative's hastily sketched survey of her target country, with ducal boundaries and a few landmarks and some broad strategic notes.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

General Battuta posted:

I like the map of Fillory from the Lev Grossman books, and it seems to me along the lines of The Hundred Acre Wood map

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I tried to think about this and I kept going back to my favourite books, unsure if I really like the maps as maps, I just like them because they're in my favourite books.

Anyway, there's the map in the Abhorsen trilogy:

Maps in fantasy tend to look like actual maps made by cartographers, and are often anachronistically accurate (or at least made to look as such, with a lot of detail, scales, etc). Historical maps can be very abstract and I like the idea of the Hundred Acre Wood type of map which is straddling the line between abstract (the relationship of places to each other) and geographical (how far away everything is from everything else).

You could go for historical maps for ideas too, like the Tabula Rogeriana:

Or the extremely abstract T and O map:

Edit: Oh, there's a diegetic (I hope I'm using that correctly) origin for the map. Maybe not the T and O type then :v: But I would love a clearly hand-drawn map which has notes scribbled on it and which is more on the abstract side. I don't know if I've ever seen a map like that in a fantasy novel.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 11, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Antti posted:

But I would love a clearly hand-drawn map which has notes scribbled on it and which is more on the abstract side. I don't know if I've ever seen a map like that in a fantasy novel.

Given the description given, this is exactly what I would envision.

I would call it hand-sketched rather than hand-drawn to try to capture the difference between what a spy might put together as notes and what Ye Olde Cartographer might draw.

Almost something like this, only with hand printed notes instead of type written.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I just finished The Yiddish Policeman's Union (Michael Chabon) and I'm halfway through The Speed Of Dark (Elizabeth Moon) and I cannot recommend either highly enough. Neither are conventional sci-fi novels, there are no spacecraft here but both ask a question and explore the outcomes. Well written and engrossing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

General Battuta posted:

Hm, good question. It's a secondary world but there's no overt magic. The map's supposed to be a political operative's hastily sketched survey of her target country, with ducal boundaries and a few landmarks and some broad strategic notes.

Sounds awesome, when can I read your book? :)

Check out gently caress Yeah Fictional Maps: http://fuckyeahfictionalmaps.tumblr.com/

It's chock full of cool maps from books (mainly). Might find some inspiration there :)

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I just finished Liminal states by our very own Zack Parsons.

I am ashamed to say I came to it somewhat wary, goons recommending another goon writer?

Now I am a full convert. Apart from some slight purple prose and use of overly literary words (a first book misstep), what a great ride!

I was put off a little bit by the prologue, written like a stream of consciousness of an alien mind. Very hard to grasp what the hell was going on there, easier of course after reading the book but this is sci-fi novel writing 101, hook em by the very first sentence and after you earn it, then you can dump the whole alien mind on us.

Those are my only criticisms of otherwise a truly great book.

Most impressive for me the utter dedication to completely examining the central concept of the story and its possible consequences from the level of the individual to the whole world over a century of time. It could have been left as a nice and competent short story but no, Zack impressively examines every angle and delivers a great finish.

Also the blend of western, noir, sci fi and cosmic horrors keeps everything fresh.

Grimwall fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 12, 2014

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

General Battuta posted:

There is always the map Vriska drew for Tavros
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004270

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

A few pages back someone recommended a sci fi book about a spaceship whose captain acted a lot like Zap Brannigan. Can anyone tell me the name?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

regularizer posted:

A few pages back someone recommended a sci fi book about a spaceship whose captain acted a lot like Zap Brannigan. Can anyone tell me the name?

Probably Steven Erikson's Willful Child. It was fun, if not super deep.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

regularizer posted:

Wilful Child by Steven Erikson

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

General Battuta posted:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You guys are great, thanks for all the suggestions.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

gently caress you, i came here to post this

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Just finished City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett and enjoyed it. World was really interesting and the plot was solid, though some of the twists a bit predictable. The characters had some depth too them, too. It also told the story in one book, didn't have a lot of unnecessary filler, and was overall pretty tight. Next up, Roadside Picnic, which I've been meaning to read for a long time.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

I've never seen that version before. (Really needs a trail marked "the shameful path" somewhere.)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm a giant nerd who has enjoyed almost everything written by Greg Egan, can anyone recommend other books/authors that do the same sort of things? (paper-thin characterisation is optional)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Dzhay posted:

I'm a giant nerd who has enjoyed almost everything written by Greg Egan, can anyone recommend other books/authors that do the same sort of things? (paper-thin characterisation is optional)

Less math-heavy but I feel like Ted Chiang scratches a similar itch to Greg Egan. 'The Story of Your Life' is a pretty incredible novella and should come in a collection with other short stories.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Dzhay posted:

The Quantum Thief and sequels are somewhat similar.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
how is Joe Abercrombie's new series, Shattered Seas?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Less Fat Luke posted:

The Quantum Thief and sequels are somewhat similar.

Having read them: what makes you say that?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Xandu posted:

It's fine, just be aware it's a YA series.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Ah, didn't realize that.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Dzhay posted:

Having read them: what makes you say that?

I didn't feel that Quantum Thief evoked Egan at all, personally. The former is very character-driven and ultimately space opera-like compared to the high concept stuff Egan does. At least to me, they weren't similar.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Xandu posted:

The first book was good. It essentially reads like a toned-down First Law book; one POV character, a respectable amount of violence, no sex stuff (not that there was a lot of that anyhow).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

bonds0097 posted:

I didn't feel that Quantum Thief evoked Egan at all, personally. The former is very character-driven and ultimately space opera-like compared to the high concept stuff Egan does. At least to me, they weren't similar.
I felt like both sort of set up high concept, well thought out future technology and built worlds around them with a lot of depth. There were also decent moral problems and thought experiments across both. The characters in Hannu's books are much more fleshed out. I don't know, maybe it's just me that finds some similarities :)

Also Egan should write more goddamnit.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ted Chiang and Greg Egan pretty much go hand in hand. Read everything by Chiang. Do it now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

I like the map of Fillory from the Lev Grossman books, and it seems to me along the lines of The Hundred Acre Wood map

That is an excellent map, tonally matches the source material very well.

Speaking of this, I was waiting on The Magician's Land to come out and... forgot about it, imagine my delight to check my local library's catalog and see it's been out since August! Got it on reserve, looking forward to it.

I could have sworn there was a thread for The Magicians, but it seemed to have dropped off into Archives.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sadsack posted:

I've just given up on Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie. I really liked its predecessor, but this book really didn't grab my attention. For the first 150 pages nothing seems to be happening. Have I made a huge mistake? Does a plot start to happen after pp.150?

This never got answered and I'm wondering the same thing. 150 pages in and nothing is happening. Does it go anywhere? The first one was alright but I'm not really sure why it won so many awards.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

This never got answered and I'm wondering the same thing. 150 pages in and nothing is happening. Does it go anywhere? The first one was alright but I'm not really sure why it won so many awards.

Ancillary Sword is a pretty good episode of Deep Space Nine.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Hell I couldn't even get into Ancillary Justice.

:(

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Bold Robot posted:

Couldn't tell you, I didn't have your stamina. Looking at my Kindle app, it seems I checked out on page 67.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Send your editor this and let us know what he/she says.

General Battuta posted:

My first thought was the map in The Hobbit - stylised but roughly geographical, annotated, and diegetic. I also thought of the maps in the Swallows and Amazons series (especially Secret Water where mapping is actually part of the novel; sadly I couldn't find a good one online) and then remembered this essay and this one,* and the first includes "Mayweed's Map of Moledom" which looks relevant:

*This is the website that introduced me to Hugh Cook, and if anyone's into dirty sword and sorcery that's a pro choice.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
If I were a spy scribbling a map, I'd probably go with a stick and balls model. Big circles for big things, small circles for small things, and lines arrows etc. Denoting relationships. Because what shape the harbor is probably doesn't matter, but that these two are connected by a tunnel does, and do on. Kinda like the maps of Bujolds wormhole nexus, or the codex sepheroth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Bold Robot posted:

Eh -- as a big fan of the first one, the second one is a lot more sedate in many ways. I was (foolishly) expecting a space battle at one point, but the book is much more focused around character and social issues so you're probably not going to get hooked.