Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Pesky Splinter posted:

The other funny part is Eiko is actually listening in on Zidane and Vivi's heart to heart, is like "What the gently caress?", and runs off in disgust/horror when she realises what they're doing.

Even further, she's listening to Zidane's advice to Vivi and taking it to heart herself, before the entire message is ruined for her by peeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Finally got to sink some time into Lightning Returns today, and man, this is actually A Good Game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dubious posted:

Finally got to sink some time into Lightning Returns today, and man, this is actually A Good Game.

Yeah, it's really good. I actually beat the final boss just now, which was pretty drat hardcore. Even that part is well designed, though: you can't leave the final area, but it automatically gives you some decent garbs when you get there, and the monsters drop plenty of EP and gil (and some acceptable weapons too) so you can stock up on recovery items at the shop before you enter. Plus, you can start New Game + at the door before the final boss, if you want!

that ending, though, was loving hysterical. i don't even want to ruin it for you, it's much better when you don't know what is going to happen

e: something i didn't quite figure out until fairly late: stagger power is completely unrelated to damage, so it is useful to have one garb set up for speed and staggering (and defense, possibly) to the exclusion of all else, which you switch to when the others are used up.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 13, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dubious posted:

It's really a shame that the review scores for the XIII trilogy seem to be inverse to peoples' actual opinions on the games. LR bombed critically and financial (from what I can tell), but it's the only one people seem to be able to enjoy without much reservation.

Well, maybe not between XIII and XIII-2; that seems pretty evenly split on which players prefer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the dirty secret is that the whole XIII trilogy is fun but no one wants to admit it

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

the dirty secret is that the whole XIII trilogy is fun but no one wants to admit it

I will admit it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

welcome to paris

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, it's really good. I actually beat the final boss just now, which was pretty drat hardcore. Even that part is well designed, though: you can't leave the final area, but it automatically gives you some decent garbs when you get there, and the monsters drop plenty of EP and gil (and some acceptable weapons too) so you can stock up on recovery items at the shop before you enter. Plus, you can start New Game + at the door before the final boss, if you want!

that ending, though, was loving hysterical. i don't even want to ruin it for you, it's much better when you don't know what is going to happen

e: something i didn't quite figure out until fairly late: stagger power is completely unrelated to damage, so it is useful to have one garb set up for speed and staggering (and defense, possibly) to the exclusion of all else, which you switch to when the others are used up.

Generally it's always better to specialize your garbs. It's kinda tempting to try to make a jack of all trades but having three specialized garbs almost always pays off better. Especially a defensive garb. The invincible garb setup is nice but I think if I replay it I'd focus on the timing-based abilities. The combat's more fun when you gotta actually time poo poo.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

fronz posted:

I will admit it.

same, even though i still have only beaten the first one so far.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

LR protip: change the default battle camera in the settings so you can actually see what's happening.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

It's really a shame that the review scores for the XIII trilogy seem to be inverse to peoples' actual opinions on the games. LR bombed critically and financial (from what I can tell), but it's the only one people seem to be able to enjoy without much reservation.
For popular series reviewers tend to temper their scores based on general gamer sentiment, so public opinion on the series has to turn before they can give it poor reviews. The next game in the series then has points deducted for being associated to the previous game.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Hi, my name is Bregor and I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

J-Spot posted:

For popular series reviewers tend to temper their scores based on general gamer sentiment, so public opinion on the series has to turn before they can give it poor reviews. The next game in the series then has points deducted for being associated to the previous game.

hence lightning returns's 66% metacritic

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

J-Spot posted:

I remember when the FFXIII Destructoid review gave the game 4/10 said:

Destructoid posted:

It takes more than graphics to make a game, and Final Fantasy XIII offers very little else other than eye candy. Ultimately, this latest addition to the Final Fantasy series is a pompous and masturbatory affair, created seemingly to promote the developer's ego first, and the player's enjoyment second.

At the time, many people were incensed at what they deemed a troll review. However, the general opinion of the game seems to have come along with this review. Even casual gamers who made the FF series a mainstream hit have stopped supporting the series.

In general, the gaming press has gotten a lot tougher on reviews, especially for what makes a great RPG. Xenoblade Chronicles, Dark Souls, and Persona 4: Golden seem to be the last few JRPGs to have perform favorably with the Western gaming press.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sunning posted:

In general, the gaming press has gotten a lot tougher on reviews, especially for what makes a great RPG. Xenoblade Chronicles, Dark Souls, and Persona 4: Golden seem to be the last few JRPGs to have perform favorably with the Western gaming press.
Bravely Default and Ni No Kuni were also pretty well received. I don't know if it's so much that the genre has fallen out of favor with reviewers as it is a genuine lack of quality console releases over the course of last gen. The big hitter series from previous gens were all fumbled while while mid-tier series like Breath of Fire, Grandia, Saga, and Suikoden were all left for dead. What was left was just stuff like Neptunia that has no interest in capturing an audience beyond the otaku niche.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

reviews, and those who write them, are dumb imo

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

I remember when the FFXIII Destructoid review gave the game 4/10 said:

At the time, many people were incensed at what they deemed a troll review. However, the general opinion of the game seems to have come along with this review. Even casual gamers who made the FF series a mainstream hit have stopped supporting the series.

For me, it has gotten to the point that the opinions of game reviews are so different from my own so often that I have completely stopped reading them. That plus no review is better at informing me about how much I will enjoy a game than a demo or a well constructed game play video.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

J-Spot posted:

Isn't that what happened with Resident Evil 6? RE5 was beloved by reviewers and mixed with fans. Then RE6 came out with the same problems as RE5, and the reviewers ripped it to pieces.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Isn't that what happened with Resident Evil 6? RE5 was beloved by reviewers and mixed with fans. Then RE6 came out with the same problems as RE5, and the reviewers ripped it to pieces.

You also get cases where the devs actually manage to right the ship after one poorly received release, resulting in cases like Dragon Age Inquisition of Assassin's Creed IV where the reviewer talks about how much better the new game is is while giving it the exact same score.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's what happens with absolutely everything. To be fair to reviewers, they only do it as much as actual fans do. They're human like everyone else, and hype can be a bit blinding sometimes, especially to hopeful fans of a series.

For an inverse example, Deadly Premonition got a 2/10 on IGN. A few years later, after it got some press and fans, the Director's Cut version rose up to a 7/10. Sure it was an improved version, but drat.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

KamikazePotato posted:

It's what happens with absolutely everything. To be fair to reviewers, they only do it as much as actual fans do. They're human like everyone else, and hype can be a bit blinding sometimes, especially to hopeful fans of a series.

For an inverse example, Deadly Premonition got a 2/10 on IGN. A few years later, after it got some press and fans, the Director's Cut version rose up to a 7/10. Sure it was an improved version, but drat.

Expectations can heavily influence an experience. I am finding that I enjoy my second play through of a lot of games more than my first. That happens to me even if I don't buy into the hype.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KamikazePotato posted:

Was it the same reviewer?

That is one mistake people keep making when trying to compare these things. An outlet is not a reviewer. "IGN gave (x) a 3/10" doesn't mean anything. "(Writer X)" gave (Y) a 3/10" does. Trying to read something into an increase in review is only meaningful if both reviews are by the same person.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

Was it the same reviewer?

That is one mistake people keep making when trying to compare these things. An outlet is not a reviewer. "IGN gave (x) a 3/10" doesn't mean anything. "(Writer X)" gave (Y) a 3/10" does. Trying to read something into an increase in review is only meaningful if both reviews are by the same person.

Maybe for specific reviews, yeah. However, for aggregated reviews like on Metacritic, you can make a lot of conclusions on the reviews industry in general. (So this actually doesn't hold true for Deadly Premonition. The original has a metacritic score of 68, and the director's cut has a score of 70).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I, too, like the Final Fantasies XIII.

They are my favourites after 7, 10(+10-2), 4 and maybe 14. I also bought all three soundtracks and play them often enough that my 4 year old son can identify a 'final fantasy song' after a few bars.

:negative:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I, too, like the Final Fantasies XIII.

They are my favourites after 7, 10(+10-2), 4 and maybe 14. I also bought all three soundtracks and play them often enough that my 4 year old son can identify a 'final fantasy song' after a few bars.

:negative:

I can't really say I actually enjoyed the gameplay of 13 and 13-2 from what I've played, but I pretty much always love playing FF games for their music and art direction.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That Destructoid article pretty perfectly mirrors my feelings about the game. It's funny to occasionally go back to some review or analysis and see some writer really nailed the good and bad of a game early on because our expectation is that they're just as blinded by hype and money as Joel Segel, worst paid movie reviewer of all time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hence lightning returns's 66% metacritic

And Suikoden 5 not being able to save the series from Suikoden 4's FF13-grade awfulness even though it was probably the 2nd best game in the series, though it's long as gently caress. :negative:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

And Suikoden 5 not being able to save the series from Suikoden 4's FF13-grade awfulness even though it was probably the 2nd best game in the series, though it's long as gently caress. :negative:

plus it has the worst pacing ever. you spend like six hours on the loving tournament subplot that hardly even matters since it turns out to be rigged anyway

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Suiko 5's beginning is reallllllly slooooooooooooooow. Picks up nicely around the mid-game though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The beginning worked for getting you attached to your family, so that when everything went to poo poo you actually cared, but even that could have been done in like half the time.

S5 isn't a bad game at all, but one of the best parts of S2 was that it took like maybe two hours for the recruits to start flowing in.

Actually no, the best part of S2 was that part where you get separated from everbody and your party is randomized, so you spend an hour of the game with a squirrel, a wolf, a barbarian lady, and a dogman.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Endorph posted:

The beginning worked for getting you attached to your family, so that when everything went to poo poo you actually cared, but even that could have been done in like half the time.

S5 isn't a bad game at all, but one of the best parts of S2 was that it took like maybe two hours for the recruits to start flowing in.

Actually no, the best part of S2 was that part where you get separated from everbody and your party is randomized, so you spend an hour of the game with a squirrel, a wolf, a barbarian lady, and a dogman.

It's sad that I know who the party members are you're talking about. :(

The Matilda Gate Glitch is my favorite thing but I'd imagine the PSN versions that came out have it and some of the other more serious bugs fixed. If not then it's worth using the bug if for no other reason than to see Futch's garbled lines if you take him in your party when you go to school later on.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

J-Spot posted:

Bravely Default and Ni No Kuni were also pretty well received. I don't know if it's so much that the genre has fallen out of favor with reviewers as it is a genuine lack of quality console releases over the course of last gen. The big hitter series from previous gens were all fumbled while while mid-tier series like Breath of Fire, Grandia, Saga, and Suikoden were all left for dead. What was left was just stuff like Neptunia that has no interest in capturing an audience beyond the otaku niche.
In Bravely Default's defense, it's legit fun as poo poo before chapter 5. Though I wonder if any reviewers brought that issue up at all.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I had no problems with the beginning of Suikoden 5. It was the 1st Suikoden I played and I really liked getting to know the kingdom. But I agree it does become better later on.
I never managed to get the true ending though. Maybe I should replay it again to get all 108 stars. but the salt...... :/

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Sefal posted:

I had no problems with the beginning of Suikoden 5. It was the 1st Suikoden I played and I really liked getting to know the kingdom. But I agree it does become better later on.
I never managed to get the true ending though. Maybe I should replay it again to get all 108 stars. but the salt...... :/

Get started early (like the first time you ever get to Raftfleet) and you should be able to get enough by the time you can recruit Sairoh.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Suikoden V's opening was fine, the real issue of that game was that random battles and their loading times took forever, and the encounter rate was high to boot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

trying that randomizing thing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Varance posted:

Suiko 5's beginning is reallllllly slooooooooooooooow. Picks up nicely around the mid-game though.

Suikoden 5's random encounter animation is unbearably slow. I doubt it's even loading anything, they just wanted to shunt that retarded sun motif into loving everything. It would probably be okay if the encounter rate wasn't so high, but you run into something every couple steps and I hate that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

trying that randomizing thing

I just finished the Oprah House myself. poo poo has got real, none of the espers I have teach "life" and there are no shops on the Imperial Contenent that sell Fenix Downs :doh:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 14, 2014