Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

kill your families, then yourselves.

edit: not the guys on the last page, just everyone reading in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean if yall really want to start this derail over again whatever, but you can't complain about it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The Westernization debate was way more interesting than the "is 'Developing Country' PC or not?" derail, because (speaking for myself) I actually learned some interesting things about the way technologies and cultures spread and adapted.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kanthulhu posted:

You know... What really triggers me is using "The West" to describe first world nations. I live in Brazil, it's located in the west but no one is thinking about Brazil when they use that term. What a loving bullshit terminology is that?

Discuss.... for the next 5 pages.

Australia and New Zealand probably get pretty pissy about "Global South" too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kanthulhu posted:

You know... What really triggers me is using "The West" to describe first world nations. I live in Brazil, it's located in the west but no one is thinking about Brazil when they use that term. What a loving bullshit terminology is that?

It means the cultures that existed in the sphere of influence of Rome rather than Constantinople. The term kind of loses its meaning when you are standing the north america.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Rutibex posted:

It means the cultures that existed in the sphere of influence of Rome rather than Constantinople. The term kind of loses its meaning when you are standing the north america.

Brazil is not in North America, dude. Also, Brazil inherited a lot of things from the sphere of influence of Rome instead of Constantinople so how does that help?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Isn't Brazil in China?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Australia and New Zealand probably get pretty pissy about "Global South" too.

To be fair, its really easy to forget their existence entirely.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Mans posted:

It's called Developing Reich, not Third Reich!

resisting urge to add this as Albert Speer's flavor description text

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Westminster System posted:

Isn't Brazil in China?

Easy mistake to make.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

ExtraNoise posted:

The folks who did the first Balance of Power games were part of a community I was on before I joined Something Awful. Way long time ago. I honestly didn't like that game very much though.

I have run a number of games on Something Awful in GBS though that are similar, but they have more structure. The last one I did was History of the World:

http://retributiongames.com/history/

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580849

The first version of HotW I did on GBS:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3123362

I also did a couple of games called Divided We Stand, also on GBS/TG but they were about assuming control of a group of individuals following World War 3 and trying to rebuild society from the ashes.

Oh man, I click on the link to the first HotW thread and I'm the second post in all my 9th grade glory. That brings back memories. I think one of the biggest reasons I registered in the fist place was for the forum games people used to run in GBS, I'm really excited at the prospect of being able to play in another one of yours five years later.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kanthulhu posted:

People like you just keep making GBS threads BRICs for no reason.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

podcat posted:

resisting urge to add this as Albert Speer's flavor description text

Just do it man.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rutibex posted:

That might be the meaning the word had back in the time of the Great Schism but it clearly isn't what people use it like nowadays so you cannot claim it isn't an imperialist term.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So when is someone gonna make the Cold War game of my dreams :colbert:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm sure reddit or 4chan is still working on that broken rear end East vs West leak.
You never said the dreams couldn't be nightmares. :unsmigghh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Top Hats Monthly posted:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Twilight_Struggle
You're welcome.

YF-23 posted:

That might be the meaning the word had back in the time of the Great Schism but it clearly isn't what people use it like nowadays so you cannot claim it isn't an imperialist term.

What I'm saying: if your culture speaks some derivation of Latin and when you go into "Ancient History" class in highschool the teacher starts talking about Julius Caesar then you are in a "western" culture. Geography is meaningless after the age of colonization.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 13, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Twilight Struggle is one of the best board games ever made and there's a digital version coming out if you absolutely can't make friends.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Kanthulhu posted:

See this is why global core vs global periphery is a much more useful way of talking!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mans posted:

It's called Developing Reich, not Third Reich!

New thread title, right here.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Speaking of the cold war, I remember that HOI2l:DD and AoD had the 'Doomsday' scenario, which was essentially the Allied powers vs Proto-Pact. I just remember it being terrible. Is there a mod for DH or any other HOI that actually makes a decent Operation Unthinkable scenario?

Secondly is there any mod for DH that balances the combat so that infantry is decent but not god king like it normally is>?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
What's a good country to first play in March of the Eagles to get an idea of how to play? I'm really terrible at combat in Paradox games FYI

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
France.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

gently caress.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What's a good country to first play in March of the Eagles to get an idea of how to play? I'm really terrible at combat in Paradox games FYI

I had a bit of fun as Sweden, beating up Norway and Denmark. But invariably one of three things would happen:

-Napoleon would come and ruin my day.
-Britain would, for some reason, declare war on Norway and beat me to some of their provinces.
-Russia would randomly DoW me.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

Oh man, I click on the link to the first HotW thread and I'm the second post in all my 9th grade glory. That brings back memories. I think one of the biggest reasons I registered in the fist place was for the forum games people used to run in GBS, I'm really excited at the prospect of being able to play in another one of yours five years later.

Good to hear! Making and running the games is one of my favorite things but I haven't done it in so long. I've decided to call the game "Destiny of Nations" and it should be up and running sometime in January (hopefully). Right now I'm working on all of the art assets. There's 300 playable nations, meaning that there's 300 flags to make:

(Still more to go!)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I think Russia is the most forgiving.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Thanks for all the strategies, however MotE doesn't seem to want to load for me. I hit play and then it acts like its loading something up then... nothing happens.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

I did Egypt for my first successful game; it's really easy to gently caress the Ottomans hard if they get into a huge war with Russia or Austria (although early on you should play it safe and only take 2-3 provinces per war), you have lots of smaller neighbors to the west you can stomp the poo poo out of if the Ottomans refuse to commit suicide-by-superpower, and you only have like 2 generals to manage.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SeaTard posted:

I think Russia is the most forgiving.

Seconding this-- although I'm not super experienced with MotE and need a lot more practice, from the games I started Russia seemed like the best learning country, since it's surrounded by enemies of varying levels of strength you can work your way up through as you learn the game's systems.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

Good to hear! Making and running the games is one of my favorite things but I haven't done it in so long. I've decided to call the game "Destiny of Nations" and it should be up and running sometime in January (hopefully). Right now I'm working on all of the art assets. There's 300 playable nations, meaning that there's 300 flags to make:

(Still more to go!)

This looks great, best of luck with it!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks for all the strategies, however MotE doesn't seem to want to load for me. I hit play and then it acts like its loading something up then... nothing happens.

Make sure you have the various .net frameworks installed, and an updated version of directx (dx9 I think)

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I got some vicky 1 questions, I'm just getting into this game a decade or so behind the times. Paradoxian wiki is pretty good but hasnt answered everything.

Can I check my colonial / naval range? Is there a way of finding which provinces I need to form a colony state? I took the 3 claim buildings south of morocco, but they seem to be attached to a province named Benito which is about 1500 miles south east of there. I bought that, but still can't claim the colony.

Any way to check the stats or tech level of enemy armies? Seems to make a big difference.

I know you can convert CK2 to EU4 (or could if the converter worked), but can you convert EU4 to Vic 2, and then onto the Hearts of Iron thats in development? I want an uber game, possibly with adolf karling as the ultimate bad guy.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
There have been some attempts to make a V2 converter (eg, secret Denmark). None really work well.

We did some theorycrafting in this thread before, and the main difficulty is generating the POPs in a way that makes sense.

Someone was going to make a converter for a degree project, not sure what happened with that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I know you can convert CK2 to EU4 (or could if the converter worked), but can you convert EU4 to Vic 2, and then onto the Hearts of Iron thats in development? I want an uber game, possibly with adolf karling as the ultimate bad guy.

You can use the older games to make a mega-chain game. CK1 -> EU2 -> Vic1 -> HoI2

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Morholt posted:

There have been some attempts to make a V2 converter (eg, secret Denmark). None really work well.

We did some theorycrafting in this thread before, and the main difficulty is generating the POPs in a way that makes sense.

Someone was going to make a converter for a degree project, not sure what happened with that.

Its still being worked on http://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/2me5v6/eu4_to_v2_04a_now_released/

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
When I converted my EU3 game into Vic 2 there was still a lot of work managing pops, but given the amount of tools there are now its not too difficult - just time consuming.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
With tools like PopAdjuster and the Clausewitz map editor, hand-converting an EU4 game to V2 wasn't really that bad. There was a lot of busywork, but it was still less work than converting my CK2 game to EU4 (and I had a CK2 converter export to use as a base there, too).

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

I found something kinda fascinating: some kind of Japanese-made Gundam total conversion mod for HoI2. Even with some kind of map thing to handle the war in space, apparently.

But the real kicker is that there appears to be a series of videos on nicovideo featuring an in-character narrative AAR. I'm kind of amazed it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Takanago posted:

I found something kinda fascinating: some kind of Japanese-made Gundam total conversion mod for HoI2. Even with some kind of map thing to handle the war in space, apparently.

But the real kicker is that there appears to be a series of videos on nicovideo featuring an in-character narrative AAR. I'm kind of amazed it exists.

Suddenly I hope I kept my HoI2 disk somewhere....

• Locked thread