Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

A number of my coworkers do frequent domestic travel with nothing international. Then again, they just this year gave all of us DoD civilians precheck anyway (our DoD ID number is our KTN) so they wouldn't be paying for precheck anyway.

Of course, they did that a few months after I paid for mine, but eh, it was still worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
FFs without passports are soon to be FF scrambling to get an expedited passport.

Alternatively they remain FFs wasting their miles on domestic awards.

Get a goddamn passport.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sellouts posted:

My wife and I took less than 5 days each and that was through lax interview center which was booked 3 months solid at one point.

You just gotta check constantly and snipe the daily cancellations and openings.

Same for Nexus too, at least in terms of watching the cancellations. I waited a few weeks for my Nexus background check to clear. When I got the conditional approval they were booked quite a ways in advance, but I checked every morning and managed to snipe a cancellation.

Also remember that if you have Nexus you get Global Entry for free. I can't remember if you have to fill anything out, or your info is automatically good at the GE kiosks, ask at your interview.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Also remember that if you have Nexus you get Global Entry for free. I can't remember if you have to fill anything out, or your info is automatically good at the GE kiosks, ask at your interview.
You don't need to do anything at all., at least in my experience.

I'm not a frequent enough flier that I stay on top of stuff like expedited border programs, so I'd never heard of GE until a couple years ago when I landed in New York (from Oslo I think?) and was met with what appeared to be a multi hour wait. I wasn't really thinking and figured there was a chance there would be Nexus machines so I joined the few people skipping the line. I guess to combat the crowds there were attendants "helping" people use the GE machines, when I got there they didn't even give me time to mumble something about making a mistake, and jammed my passport into the machine and sent me on my way. Away I went, unsure of what actually happened, since I didn't look into any iris scanner or speak with anyone, but appeared to be in the US legally.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Kreez posted:

I went, unsure of what actually happened, since I didn't look into any iris scanner or speak with anyone, but appeared to be in the US legally.
Global entry uses fingerprint scanning, nexus entry into Canada uses retina scans, and now for nexus you have to have your card with you to put in the kiosk too.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Aristotle Animes posted:

FFs without passports are soon to be FF scrambling to get an expedited passport.

Alternatively they remain FFs wasting their miles on domestic awards.

Get a goddamn passport.

People don't get passports? What the hell?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

caberham posted:

It's a thing specifically in the US. At least in the south, it's easy to run into people who don't know what it's like outside of their state, or even their city.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

caberham posted:

In the early 2000s I saw a stat that claimed that before 9/11 only 20% of US citizens had a passport. Apparently, that roughly doubled after new passport requirements were instituted for Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Google results are telling me 1/3 of Americans hold passports now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MickeyFinn posted:

In the early 2000s I saw a stat that claimed that before 9/11 only 20% of US citizens had a passport. Apparently, that roughly doubled after new passport requirements were instituted for Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Google results are telling me 1/3 of Americans hold passports now.

I wonder what the % of the public that flies >1/year is.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

It's a thing specifically in the US. At least in the south, it's easy to run into people who don't know what it's like outside of their state, or even their city.

Heh, thought it would be more of a Mid West thing since nothing ever happens :downsrim: I guess the South tends to be poorer and have fewer airports and actually cost more to travel? Well, flying a family of 5 is never as cheap as using the family car for a road trip I guess

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The US is a really big place. You can do a whole lot of travel without needing a passport. That's less true than it used to be (since you now need one to go to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean) , but still holds for the majority of people.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

caberham posted:

Heh, thought it would be more of a Mid West thing since nothing ever happens :downsrim: I guess the South tends to be poorer and have fewer airports and actually cost more to travel? Well, flying a family of 5 is never as cheap as using the family car for a road trip I guess

It's nationwide.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

A few months back my work asked me to commute more frequently to other sites. This means typically ~ 2/ week hotel stays. I make my own travel arrangements and am reimbursed. What chain would be recommended for accumulation of free stays? I've been reading the thread and saw someone recommend Hyatt's reward program a few pages back.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

caberham posted:

Yeah like everyone else said it's nationwide. Many people do road trips and people consider me "well traveled" since I've gone to almost every state in the US, but I honestly feel like this is nothing since I have such little international travel experience.

sweet_jones posted:

A few months back my work asked me to commute more frequently to other sites. This means typically ~ 2/ week hotel stays. I make my own travel arrangements and am reimbursed. What chain would be recommended for accumulation of free stays? I've been reading the thread and saw someone recommend Hyatt's reward program a few pages back.

SPG or Hyatt. HHonors is a loving joke.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey air, will you be in Changi? I really crave some giant cup peanut butter cups

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

air- posted:

SPG or Hyatt. HHonors is a loving joke.

SPG is nice but they do tend to keep making desirable properties more points to reimburse. Like anything in a big city is probably 10k points. Something fancy is 20k. Which is a lot of points for one night.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

sweet_jones posted:

The best answer, i think, when selecting airlines/hotels, is which chain serves you needs best in the places you plan to go. SPG or Hyatt are arguably better programs than Marriott or Hilton but I suspect many of us end up with MR or HH because Hamptons, HGI, Homewood, Springfields and Courtyards are like Starbux; there's usually one somewhere near where you are.

So, if I was you and knew I had to make 2wk stays in known locations (as apposed to my travel which is i don't know where i'm gonna go one quarter to the next) I would select a chain with the best properties in the cities I was going to, get a branded CC, exist and learn that point system and start dreaming about a vacation in one of the chain's exclusive spots. Some "soft" bennies show differences in how they treat an elite but pretty much all the hotel programs are cookie cutter in earning : redemption. They "align" (read collude) with each other every year.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Aristotle Animes posted:

So, if I was you and knew I had to make 2wk stays in known locations (as apposed to my travel which is i don't know where i'm gonna go one quarter to the next) I would select a chain with the best properties in the cities I was going to, get a branded CC, exist and learn that point system and start dreaming about a vacation in one of the chain's exclusive spots. Some "soft" bennies show differences in how they treat an elite but pretty much all the hotel programs are cookie cutter in earning : redemption. They "align" (read collude) with each other every year.

Do exactly these things. I'll agree with everyone that HHonors is worthless. Personally I'm an IHG guy because I can find a Holiday Inn/Express/Select, Crowne Plaza, Candlewood, or Staybridge 99% of the time I need to go somewhere, and their points are actually worth a poo poo. I used some of mine not too long ago at the Venetian in Las Vegas, and since I was a Platinum member (and it wasn't a busy weekend), I got bumped up to a suite.

You do have to stay on top of the promotions though. IHG usually has something going on where you get 25% more for this quarter, or some kind of challenge where you have to stay a certain amount of nights, or at a number of different properties, etc. to get any bonus points.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah all of that is generally true, I just tend to pounce on HH when given a reason to. I racked up points via a shitload of Hampton Inn stays. I plan on burning them all in one go via more trips to Asia since these redemptions tend to be way better than most in the Hilton program.

The first remarkable HH stay I've had in years was this week at the Doubletree in KL. 4k points plus 111 MYR a night is a crazy deal, and if you have gold/diamond, their executive lounge is far above average as far as their hot breakfasts and happy hour.

Apparently this rate used to even include free laundry service if you were checked into a room in the executive floor, but that recently changed. The property itself is nice enough to be a cat 6/7, so it was quite a nice experience, and there's even a huge FT thread on the property.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks everyone. 90% of my work-reimbursed hotel stays will be in the same two areas. The hotels in the first area I really like are a Springhill Suites and an Aloft. The most convenient hotels in the second area, well everything I've tried so far I haven't been into. There is both a Hyatt House and a Hyatt Place reasonably close by. There are scores of Marriott hotels (didn't like their Residence Inn there) but no SPG hotel.

No one mentioned Marriott rewards - hopefully not as bad as HH?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I thought Aloft was part of SPG? I'd go with that! I think MR is about identical to HH.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

air- posted:

I thought Aloft was part of SPG? I'd go with that! I think MR is about identical to HH.

Aloft is Starwood, yes. Marriott is slightly better than Hilton, but not enough that I'm going to switch after several years of Hilton concentration.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In my experience, Starwood is good if you are going to be in cities or airports. If you are along some random interstate or out at some corporate HQ in the middle of nowhere, there's probably not going to be an Starwood property.

They also have pretty good international coverage, especially at the high end. A lot of the old classic hotels are now Westins or Sheratons.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ICH is buying Kimpton for 430m. That's a nice boost.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
if you're in bum gently caress Egypt a good portion of the year like I am, Hilton is probably the best bet. Marriot and to a lesser extent, IHG are usually fine too. I like Hilton because HGI is the best ubiquitous mid tier hotel by far. They always have comfy beds

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm on my last work flight of the year. Suck it, work! Thanksgiving - Now was easily the worst period of my career thus far.

I have one more quick hop to The D and back just after Christmas to visit my girlfriend's family, but I have never been happier to be done.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Home for the holidays, sort of... I have a sea-sfo-sea mileage run to hit 125K on the 25th. But yesterday was the end of my last work trip for the year and I will have a good stretch at home before more go go go in mid jan into feb.

Yesterday was my first time immigrating to the US through YYZ. What a mess... have better signage for GE and consistent Nexus/GE verbiage from signs and agents. I had one agent refuse me at the security checkpoint, insisting I needed Nexus only to force my way through after appealing to another agent. This after failing GE for the first time and getting the dreaded X through my receipt meaning I had to immigrate the regular way. This was happening to everyone at GE and evidently it was because none of our continuing flights were loaded into the system.

Decent Maple Leaf Lounge there tho in the F term. Was my first time using the MLL in YHZ because the UA gate is separated by security, that was also alright.

All done with long hauls till next year.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 20, 2014

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
I spent 5 hours once in that lounge, I hadn't eaten all day and just loaded up on free Guinness and bowls of thai curry. It was actually pretty boss

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Food was good in both locations. Curry soup hummus and garlic olives, fresh veggies, good bread; all was very good and the self serve alcyhol is always appreciated by me. UA has moved to rot gut comp'd booze and i always want to just tell the bartender to fill a pint glass 3/4 with ice and dump 6oz of swill vodka into it because i don't really feel like tipping you three time today.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah gently caress tipping on free poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Yeah gently caress tipping on free poo poo

I usually do it if the barkeep treats me like a paying customer and/or is generally busting his rear end.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Work travel is complete but we leave for BRU on Monday. Should end the year just over 150K PQMs on UA for the year and 76 nights with SPG. Not bad. :cool:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I really hate tipping in general but will gladly tip on free poo poo just because people won't go home empty handed.

Ugh, just have better wages.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Meeting business travel goon I'm so scared.

Within 5 minutes we talk about ATM fees and expense reports

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Never pay ATM fees (within the U.S.); if there's truly no ATM that won't charge you a fee where you're going, just go to Walmart or Walgreens or something, buy a drink or snack with a debit card, and get cash back.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Join a bank-by-mail credit union. Because they have no atms, they will refund x atm transactions a month.

edit: atm to expense reports for the boring biz travel jerk fait accompli; i'm doing my last expense reports for this year this morning whilst listening to the Vikes game.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 21, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Our suck rear end reimbursement policies at least will give back for ATM and banking fees, so at least I can roll up to any ATM in the world and get paid back. And then the cheese dicks in finance leave we twisting for six weeks on a $12K voucher, after I had to pay the credit card bill. I had enough cash reserves to float that, but holy poo poo I did not need that in December.

All reimbursement people can loving hang.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Charles Scwab and USAA are the best bank by mail options. No ATM fees, no forex fees. All free.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Midjack posted:

Our suck rear end reimbursement policies at least will give back for ATM and banking fees, so at least I can roll up to any ATM in the world and get paid back. And then the cheese dicks in finance leave we twisting for six weeks on a $12K voucher, after I had to pay the credit card bill. I had enough cash reserves to float that, but holy poo poo I did not need that in December.

All reimbursement people can loving hang.

I have had the discussion about reimbursement with my boss and I can understand if I'm down to the wire but if i get this poo poo in to her and she approves and passes it to finance with +5days and they kick it back after the cutoff, then they have to cut an advance that cycle. I can float just about anything I rack up but if someone left me twisting for +45 days, I would be making noise. Not that it would do any good really. So, yeah, hang 'em all. And the pencil dicks that make travel policies as well.

edit: USAA owns. Except their security brokerage platform, that thing is a stinky pile of crap.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

My buddy used a SWU on my HKG-DFW flight tomorrow as a birthday present for me and I got confirmed in business class :radcat:

If anyone here flies there often, which lounge do you prefer between The Wing vs The Bridge (I think business class means I have access to both)?