Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Man, can SALR fix this new terrible font? It's ugly and hard to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Gerdalti posted:

Man, can SALR fix this new terrible font? It's ugly and hard to read.

:goonsay:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Totally. Qualitatively it should be easier to read for most people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The font is fine. And there are plenty of existing tools to change fonts on a web page if you really must.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I may just have to fix my cleartype settings. It's very thin and my old man eyes are complaining.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
It is thinner. A little too thin for me at smaller sizes. I bumped the size up and I like it quite a bit now.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Did anything happen with the request to have the "open all unread threads" option on forumdisplay.php as well as usercp.php?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Seconding "gently caress this font"; the old one was fine and had the advantage of not looking like complete poo poo

Still got a tab open with the non-poo poo font if any part of the source would be helpful

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stop using old versions and Windows XP and turn DirectWrite back on.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
there used to be a test post here, but it's gone now.

Instead, there's a pull request.

nuvan fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 13, 2014

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Google fonts and DirectWrite type smoothed fonts are always terrible looking or headache inducing on my machine.

Using Firefox I think I've sort of fixed most of it by following this guide here. I think the old font was Verdana since it's still in the stylesheet and disabling Open Sans falls back on that.

You'll need to navigate to your profile folder, create/open a chrome folder, and create/edit userContent.css and use this code.

Gets rid of the new font but it seems like font sizes might be a little smaller or different for some reason on some pages (posting page, for example, thread view though is relatively normal).

Can anyone do any better?

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 13, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Quotin dis

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Neither of these things has any relation to the new forums font being terrible.

Harmonica posted:

https://userstyles.org/styles/107628/sa-font-revert is supposed to work but it just changes the new lovely font to a different lovely font.

E: https://userstyles.org/styles/108256/don-t-know-but-i-tried works for at least the thread view but the font in the post view is still weird

Javid fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 13, 2014

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Did anything happen with the request to have the "open all unread threads" option on forumdisplay.php as well as usercp.php?
Real life has been busy for me and I keep forgetting to push this out/I keep wanting to add another "small thing" to the code. I'll try pushing it live though as I've been using this version locally for a decent amount of time and looks like the new stuff I added works fine so it should be good.

But here I guess is the final changelog for this version:

Changelog posted:

+ Add title to the Single Post Link
+ Add ability to expand breadcrumbs on showthread and forumdisplay
+ Add setting to view Mod Bar (beneath top breadcrumbs) in forumdisplay
+ Add "Open unread Threads" button to forumdisplay view
+ Added ability to backup/restore SALR settings as a JSON string
+ Add "Linked-Image Hover" Settings/Option for images within a thread (thanks nuvan/nskillen)
+ Add "Hide Garbage Dick Avatars" setting
+ Add "Don't use Open Sans Font" setting to revert SA to the old font
* Fix CSS for two additional custom user icons when platinum grenade is turned off
* Fix CSS on numbers in forum/usercp view expanding/changing location of other numbers when you hover over them
* Fix username highlighting to preserve case on replaced text if search is case insensitive
* Modify setting string for Quote highlighting (SA does this by in yellow by default now)
* Fix SA quote highlighting overriding the user set option of SALR
- Remove SALR youtube fullscreen fix (SA finally did it)

nuvan posted:

there used to be a test post here, but it's gone now.

Instead, there's a pull request.
Thanks, I'll look at this hopefully soon and push it up with the rest of the changes I've got.

Harmonica posted:

Google fonts and DirectWrite type smoothed fonts are always terrible looking or headache inducing on my machine.

Using Firefox I think I've sort of fixed most of it by following this guide here. I think the old font was Verdana since it's still in the stylesheet and disabling Open Sans falls back on that.

You'll need to navigate to your profile folder, create/open a chrome folder, and create/edit userContent.css and use this code.

Gets rid of the new font but it seems like font sizes might be a little smaller or different for some reason on some pages (posting page, for example, thread view though is relatively normal).

The easiest fix for this that I've found is disabling Open Sans in #thread td.postbody (as well as other stuff) and font-size: 14px in #thread table.post td.

I think this is what it used to look like basically: (done by doing the above stuff)

I'll add this as an "Other Setting" or whatever that bottom settings category is on a quick and dirty change and get further refinements after people start using it.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 13, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Master_Odin posted:

Real life has been busy for me and I keep forgetting to push this out/I keep wanting to add another "small thing" to the code. I'll try pushing it live though as I've been using this version locally for a decent amount of time and looks like the new stuff I added works fine so it should be good.

Thanks! Sorry if it seemed like I was bugging you, I was thinking maybe I missed an update :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I just got a special message while posting.

quote:

Special Message From Senor Lowtax

The request you just submitted appears to have been forged in some way! A check to make sure your request was authentic failed. This could be because you clicked on a malicious link or visited some other website that tried to perform a malicious act on your behalf. In order to protect your account, your request will be ignored.
IMPORTANT!
Third-party methods of posting may not work. This includes browser extensions (ie. the quick-reply feature of the SA Last Read FireFox Extension) and off-site forms. If you are using either of these, this is why you are receiving this message.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE POSTING USING THE ACTUAL SA FORUMS POST/REPLY FORMS! We do not support anything else, so do not email us about it!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Dumb question, is there a 'night mode' for SALR that i can't seem to find? I'd like a mostly black screen with only words/avatars in non-black colors, if possible.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kommando posted:

The only thing I like about quick reply is the smiley thing. That is really awesome but not worth it for me personally. Shame if he's gonna shut that down for reasons.

If he breaks the awful app though that will be disappointing.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

The only thing I like about quick reply is the smiley thing. That is really awesome but not worth it for me personally. Shame if he's gonna shut that down for reasons.

It's been ages since I wrote it but if I recall correctly when Quick Reply is enabled it makes a request to the normal post page to fetch the request key used to authenticate the post submission. It's possible that the token just expired while you were writing the post.

Edit: and that was submitted with Quick Reply

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Kommando posted:

syscall girl posted:

Ferg posted:

It's been ages since I wrote it but if I recall correctly when Quick Reply is enabled it makes a request to the normal post page to fetch the request key used to authenticate the post submission. It's possible that the token just expired while you were writing the post.

Edit: and that was submitted with Quick Reply
Well, to make a post, SA requires two things, a "form cookie"and a "form key". The form key is user specific and the form cookie is session/post specific. It used to be that SALR fetched the form key the first time you visited any page on SA and saved that with getting the form cookie each time you used the Quick Reply. I've changed it such that both of these are now gotten every time you open the Quick Reply as a user was having an issue with it not working right as multiple SA accounts were being used on the same computer. Anytime either of these are wrong though, you get the above error.

I agree with Ferg though in that please try to use Quick Reply again and let me know if it fails again and then I guess we'll take additional steps to troubleshoot it as I have no good preliminary ideas as to why this is.

Mister Fister posted:

Dumb question, is there a 'night mode' for SALR that i can't seem to find? I'd like a mostly black screen with only words/avatars in non-black colors, if possible.
You want a night mode added to SALR that changes the CSS of the forums? Unfortunately I think that's a bit more work than I'd like to put towards this feature.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Master_Odin posted:

You want a night mode added to SALR that changes the CSS of the forums? Unfortunately I think that's a bit more work than I'd like to put towards this feature.

Yeah. This seems like something that's been handled pretty well by Stylish for a long time.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Master_Odin posted:

Well, to make a post, SA requires two things, a "form cookie"and a "form key". The form key is user specific and the form cookie is session/post specific. It used to be that SALR fetched the form key the first time you visited any page on SA and saved that with getting the form cookie each time you used the Quick Reply. I've changed it such that both of these are now gotten every time you open the Quick Reply as a user was having an issue with it not working right as multiple SA accounts were being used on the same computer. Anytime either of these are wrong though, you get the above error.

Aha, yep I do recall that now. Good call on the change.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im setting up salr on a new computer and I forget what box I tick to make it so the number of unread posts is displayed next to the arrow that takes you there, as opposed to in the RE column

tia for any help

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Cake Attack posted:

im setting up salr on a new computer and I forget what box I tick to make it so the number of unread posts is displayed next to the arrow that takes you there, as opposed to in the RE column

tia for any help

Thread Highlighting -> Uncheck 'Use SALR Jump Buttons'

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nuvan posted:

Thread Highlighting -> Uncheck 'Use SALR Jump Buttons'

thank you friend

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The NEW Search the Forums ignores that I have unchecked Search in the Header/Footer display options. The most minor of minor issues but it moves all the links and I keep clicking SALR Settings instead of user control panel on muscle memory :argh:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
How come you can back up user notes to ~*~the cloud~*~ but not the general SALR settings?

Also it's probably been mentioned but the thread search box is busted since lowtax put out the new search.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

How come you can back up user notes to ~*~the cloud~*~ but not the general SALR settings?
Because it's a more major rewrite than just the user notes as it requires handling the async response (which isn't that hard, but meh) and also changing the settings page to make it so you can pick which settings you want on the cloud and which ones you don't as I use somewhat different settings on my home computer, my laptop, and my work computer and just using the cloud would prevent that.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Also it's probably been mentioned but the thread search box is busted since lowtax put out the new search.
It has not, but I'll look into that tonight and try and get it fixed along with the other search thing right above your post.

:nms: https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/555999931861700608

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 16, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Any chance you can have the tweet/vine/webm embed options check for :nws: tags? I ended up with some really NWS Vine video embedded into a page because someone linked a tweet pointing to it. So for now I shut that option off.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
New Version incoming...

Changelog posted:

### v2.1.8 (1/16/2015)
+ Add: display-image-on-hover feature
+ Add NWS/Spoiler settings to tweets/vines/webm/gfycat
* Fix: remove new search link
* Fix: Have search box in thread use new search page

CrashCat posted:

Any chance you can have the tweet/vine/webm embed options check for :nws: tags? I ended up with some really NWS Vine video embedded into a page because someone linked a tweet pointing to it. So for now I shut that option off.
Done.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 24, 2015

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Instant Grat posted:

On some images (primarily imgur ones I think), timg-images go full-size once the page is fully loaded, ignoring screen width and often breaking tables. I checked, and disabling SALR fixes the problem.

So this got reported back in June and I've finally gotten around to remembering this. A "fix" for this would be to select "Don't convert links containing images" under the "Convert links into inline images" setting. It's not actually the timg breaking from SALR it seems.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

With SALR enabled it's currently causing image/video heavy threads to lock up the tab completely until they all load properly, but also seemingly making that take longer than usual. I don't have it set to convert youtube to inline players or image link to inline images.. is there some sort of option / cache I'm missing that would be causing this to happen?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Baram posted:

With SALR enabled it's currently causing image/video heavy threads to lock up the tab completely until they all load properly, but also seemingly making that take longer than usual. I don't have it set to convert youtube to inline players or image link to inline images.. is there some sort of option / cache I'm missing that would be causing this to happen?
Have a good link to where this is happening?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Master_Odin posted:

Have a good link to where this is happening?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3683290&perpage=40&pagenumber=47

it's really any image or video megathread basically.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way, either with this extension or otherwise, to view the last page of a thread without it counting everything before it as already read? Like, I'm 30 pages behind on a megathread and I want to see what people are talking about in the latest page, but I also don't want to lose my place 30 pages back. What I currently do is either open the last page in Incognito Mode, or if the paywall is up, then open the latest page, (re)mark the whole thread as unread and then go back to where I was, but both options are rather inefficient.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a way, either with this extension or otherwise, to view the last page of a thread without it counting everything before it as already read? Like, I'm 30 pages behind on a megathread and I want to see what people are talking about in the latest page, but I also don't want to lose my place 30 pages back. What I currently do is either open the last page in Incognito Mode, or if the paywall is up, then open the latest page, (re)mark the whole thread as unread and then go back to where I was, but both options are rather inefficient.

If you click the page icon on the bottom left it marks the thread read up to that post. Open the thread to the last post you read, open the last page in a new tab so you can read it, and click the icon on the last post you read to re-mark your spot.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Is search within a thread permanently broken/no longer possible? When I try it just kicks me to the (new) default search page.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

xie posted:

Is search within a thread permanently broken/no longer possible? When I try it just kicks me to the (new) default search page.

This was fixed in 2.1.8.1- make sure you're running that version.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

The Journey Fraternity posted:

This was fixed in 2.1.8.1- make sure you're running that version.

Nope, on that version and searching within a thread is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Nope, on that version and searching within a thread is broken.
Yeah, it seems to sometimes work and I'm not sure why. Will have to poke more at it and try and get it more consistent.

• Locked thread