Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
As awesome as that sounds, and I'm sorry to harp on about this, but when do you think this will turn up on the European PSN? Still haven't seen anything about the missing DLC, which also makes me wonder if is all this going to arrive in one huge update, or will we be stuck with the same release schedule but a month or two behind?

Edit: Instead of getting the Foo Fighters DLC, I decided to get the Biffy Clyro pack instead, and briefly wondered why I didn't have it already. Turns out there's a reason I didn't already have it: it's all in alternate tunings, and my guitar really doesn't like being retuned.

This game has almost convinced me to buy a decent guitar, but at this rate I'll need to buy a second just because of this sort of thing.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

As much as I love The Morello guitar sounds, I've always thought the bass in RATM is about as funky as it gets short of listening to Bootsie. It really pulls the tunes up a notch.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The bass lines of RATM, Kyuss and Alice in Chains songs are the main reason I started on bass 20 years ago.

TheDarkFlame posted:

As awesome as that sounds, and I'm sorry to harp on about this, but when do you think this will turn up on the European PSN? Still haven't seen anything about the missing DLC, which also makes me wonder if is all this going to arrive in one huge update, or will we be stuck with the same release schedule but a month or two behind?

The problem there (and the Aus/NZ store) is that SCEE are basically a bunch of incompetent fuckwits.

The newest DLC it shows on PS3 is the Tom Petty songs (on the store and in game), and it says they're part of a pack... which isn't available.
The Killswitch Engage pack is cheaper if you buy the songs individually.

Somehow they've gone from being 3-4 days behind steam (Fair enough I guess, the store updates on Thursday night NZ time), to over a month.

Xaq
Nov 7, 2003
(Insert witty title here)

toymach1ne posted:

you are actually the closest I've seen to guessing the whole pack

Just blink twice if Testify is in there.

That's all I really want.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

All I want is Testify and Sleep Now in the Fire.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Testify denied (whole album denied)

Rage Against the Machine Song Pack (I-II) – $15.99

Rage Against The Machine I – $9.99
Rage Against The Machine II – $7.99

Rage Against The Machine “Bombtrack”
Rage Against The Machine “Bulls On Parade” – Eb Standard
Rage Against The Machine “Down Rodeo”
Rage Against The Machine “Killing In The Name” – Drop D
Rage Against The Machine “Know Your Enemy” – (No Rhythm)
Rage Against The Machine “Renegades Of Funk” – Drop D
Rage Against The Machine “Wake Up” – Drop D

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The RATM pack is so much fun on bass

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drogadon posted:

The RATM pack is so much fun on bass

It's really just so much fun on everything.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
PSN EU put up Wind Cries Mary for FREE on PS3

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/12/10/new-playstation-store-destiny-dlc-lara-croft-temple-osiris/

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Sorry we hosed up and the store is a month behind, here have a free song...
"There was an error encountered when adding an item to your basket" :ughh:

edit: Looks like it's the PSN store in general not working.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 11, 2014

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You're assuming this was intentional.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

You're assuming this was intentional.

they put it in their blog... So Ubisoft didn't want that to happen but SCEE does whatever they want it seems

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 11, 2014

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The Jimi song is no longer up on the EU PSN store.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

This is a massive thread, so if anyone who has this could answer my questions without me having to trawl through it all, I'd be grateful.

I've got a PS4 and a bass guitar - so: Is this geared mainly toward the guitar, or is the bass good still? I played it for a year or so, and I'm rusty as all gently caress, so I'd love something like this to get me back in. Second - What's the lag situation like? I could probably get an optical cable to go into my TV, but other than that it's HDMI only; is this going to work?

I like the look of the track list, I used to love playing RATM stuff, simple but nice to play on a bass.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I bought the original rocksmith 2012 guitar bundle, bought the bass expansion when they released it and used bass emulation mode for like a week, then had to go out and get myself a bass.

Two years later and I've been in bass lessons for a while now and have rarely touched the guitar since because I like bass better.

So yes, totally get it for your bass.

Can't help you with the lag question though, I play the mac version.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

de la peche posted:

This is a massive thread, so if anyone who has this could answer my questions without me having to trawl through it all, I'd be grateful.

I've got a PS4 and a bass guitar - so: Is this geared mainly toward the guitar, or is the bass good still? I played it for a year or so, and I'm rusty as all gently caress, so I'd love something like this to get me back in. Second - What's the lag situation like? I could probably get an optical cable to go into my TV, but other than that it's HDMI only; is this going to work?

I like the look of the track list, I used to love playing RATM stuff, simple but nice to play on a bass.

Bass work good. Lag is more to do with the hardware in your TV/sound centre than the console outputs. HDMI and optical can work ok but both run the risk that you're plugging into an expensive, quality TV where they cheaped out on audio decoding from digital sources.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Verizian posted:

Bass work good. Lag is more to do with the hardware in your TV/sound centre than the console outputs. HDMI and optical can work ok but both run the risk that you're plugging into an expensive, quality TV where they cheaped out on audio decoding from digital sources.

Right. Stupid question then that I maybe need to run to the tech thread, is there any (easy) way of finding out how likely my TV is to be laggy without having to buy the game and cable? I suppose I could just buy it anyway then claim the cable's broke or something from Amazon if it's all lovely. Surely if there's any lag at all it's hyper noticeable due to the nature of the thing... Hmmm. If anyone knows, I've got a 40 inch Samsung LCD? Although I do own a 2013 Macbook Pro, I suppose I could go for that version, I'd just rather play it on the TV.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I don't have experience with the PS4 version but I did play the PS3 version for a long time. I had the video HDMI to the TV and analog audio to my receiver. There was still noticeable latency that I had a hard time adjusting in the game with the video adjustments. The audio was fine though. My TV is a 55" LG and it just seemed to lag behind the audio noticeably.

I recently purchased the PC version and it plays way better. I suspect the Mac version will also. Load times are super fast, very little latency, and customs are available which makes it totally worth buying again for me. I then use the DisplayPort output on the laptop to go into a larger monitor or even my LG TV and it still plays a hell of a lot better than the PS3 version.

YMMV on PS4 though as I haven't bought it for that yet. Probably won't now and will just stick to the PC version.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

de la peche posted:

Right. Stupid question then that I maybe need to run to the tech thread, is there any (easy) way of finding out how likely my TV is to be laggy without having to buy the game and cable? I suppose I could just buy it anyway then claim the cable's broke or something from Amazon if it's all lovely. Surely if there's any lag at all it's hyper noticeable due to the nature of the thing... Hmmm. If anyone knows, I've got a 40 inch Samsung LCD? Although I do own a 2013 Macbook Pro, I suppose I could go for that version, I'd just rather play it on the TV.

Here is a site that has some measurements for input lag for TV's from 2014
http://www.rtings.com/info/input-lag-tvs

If it's an older TV or not listed you could probably just type into google the model number and "input lag" or "latency" and you might have some luck. Also, if your TV has a game mode, you will want to use that.

-edit: To clarify too, you can't really get a good idea of latency of your TV unless it is specifically measured. One Samsung model might have really low latency, but another model might have really high latency.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 12, 2014

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
In my experience (PS3/PS4) HDMI is going to cause a noticeable delay between when you hit a string and when you hear it from your speakers. Your best bet is to go optical for audio.

At that point you might run into a problem because when you switch the PS4 audio output to optical it'll still output both HDMI and optical, so you'll need to find a way to separate the two. I used to have HDMI and optical feeding into the same receiver channel, but HDMI was overriding the optical, which negated the whole benefit of switching to optical.

HDMI -> TV and PS4 Optical -> Receiver works well as long as you don't have ARC enabled on your TV which would try to spit HDMI audio back out to the receiver.

You mentioned possibly doing Optical -> TV, which should be okay IF you can get it to take the video from HDMI and audio from optical. It's kind of a mess.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

de la peche posted:

If you can get a PC hooked up through HDMI you can just make some noise (click the volume control so it goes ding or whatever) and see what the delay is like. You'll probably have to play with your TV to get the minimum amount of processing happening, which is what slows it down

As far as acceptable delay goes it's completely personal, and depends on what you're playing too - I use the PC version and I can't run it at super aggressive latencies, but it's still completely fine for lead guitar. But rhythmic bass and rhythm guitar that's like straight 8th notes makes the lag obvious, it just feels slightly off. Still playable but less fun to me, but I'm being really picky here. I'm guessing the PS4 version is pretty highly tuned, so if you can get past the TV issue you'll be golden

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Nice, thanks for all the advice guys. I'm gonna do some google sleuthing then on how my TV is likely to behave, then, worst case, I'll just gently caress it all off and buy the Mac version instead.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm running the Mac version and its pretty great - no lag but I do get the occasional USB freakout when the IO gets pissy with my keyboard and mouse (laptop so its all on the same bus). CDLC is pretty simple to implement and is really worth the price of admission.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So just to clarify, I can use basically any version of the cable that plugs into USB for the PC or OSX versions, right?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yes. Though in my experience the Rocksmith 2012 cables don't seem to like USB 3.0 ports very much.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Fina posted:

Yes. Though in my experience the Rocksmith 2012 cables don't seem to like USB 3.0 ports very much.

Yeah. The only way my cable works is to turn off USB 3.0 ports in my bios. Unfortunately, I can't even just plug it into USB 2.0 ports. You have to disable the whole thing. Luckily I don't really have any devices that really need USB 3.0.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://amzn.to/1wrTXEk - Rocksmith 2014 + Cable (All Platforms) $39.99

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

toymach1ne posted:

And it's 34.99 on PS3

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Snowy posted:

And it's 34.99 on PS3

Interesting, I wouldn't advise that if you can avoid it...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

toymach1ne posted:

Interesting, I wouldn't advise that if you can avoid it...

Why it doesn't work well on PS3? Maybe I should take back the recommendation I just made to a friend.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Snowy posted:

Why it doesn't work well on PS3? Maybe I should take back the recommendation I just made to a friend.

Just trying to have people avoid SCEA and SCEE DLC fuckery

Xaq
Nov 7, 2003
(Insert witty title here)

Snowy posted:

I have both and the sound quality on the PS3 is garbage compared to a PC with the audio engine maxed out. If your friend has a good PC, I would definitely recommend he get it on Steam instead.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

toymach1ne posted:

$40?!?! They can kiss my entire rear end. Can I not just get a used version from Gamestop or something?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

$40?!?! They can kiss my entire rear end. Can I not just get a used version from Gamestop or something?

Good luck finding a cable... And that's going to be the major cost in any case.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's wrong with $40? That seems super reasonable to me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Shadowgate posted:

What's wrong with $40? That seems super reasonable to me.

On top of the cost of the actual game? Maybe I am just being a poo poo about it.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

AlternateAccount posted:

On top of the cost of the actual game? Maybe I am just being a poo poo about it.

It's forty bucks for the cable and the game.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mercedes posted:

It's forty bucks for the cable and the game.

Well I was a dumbshit who bought it on Steam, assuming that it would be reasonable to buy the cable.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Well I was a dumbshit who bought it on Steam, assuming that it would be reasonable to buy the cable.

Unless you find it in a bargain bin somewhere, the cable alone cost $20-$30. So for $40 you can play it on a second platform and have the cable. GOOD DEAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Snowy posted:

If your PS3 is hooked up to your TV, and you can use the analog out, I would get the PS3 version. I have it on PS4, PS3, Mac and PC, and I mainly play the PS3 version just because it's the only thing that connects to my TV and sound system and the PS4 doesn't have the analog out option which may make a difference depending on the TV. The PS3 version for me at least, is just as fast loading songs and the UI, if not faster than the PC version. it really depends in your setup though, but I prefer playing through a TV.