Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Xander77 posted:

On a similar note, once you've solved the puzzle in Puzzle Agent, the "why is this the solution" section is "this is the solution. Just because" like 90% of the time. Gets a bit better in Puzzle Agent 2, but still.

Don't even get me started on Puzzle Agent. Great, great premise with Grickle doing really unique art for the project. It's not even going to follow the same old formula Telltale does with their games! Great!

Instead we get what is literally 3 puzzles rehashed throughout the entire game, all the art assets beyond the main characters are cheap poo poo done by some poor intern who probably became an alcoholic, and the story just shits itself barely halfway through.

It had so much potential. And then they managed to make an even shittier sequel. TELLTALE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Murdoch posted:

Balance in singleplayer games, while not as immediately vital as it is in multiplayer ones, is still pretty fundamental to good game design. Even moreso to a game like BoI where the challenge is a part of the appeal.

Then they need to take a 2nd look at the items then, the game has an absurd number of bad items that bloat the pool and made the game needlessly difficult.

quote:

At least the most recent patch gets rid of the key/bomb starvation in hard mode. Now only heart drops are limited.

Well that's good but the game ending room lay-outs are still there, then again I can't really think of many ways to make a unique hard mode in a game like Isaac.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Speaking of absurd number of items, Dragon's Dogma has a ridiculous number of items that all do the same thing. I'm all for diversity and world-building and all that poo poo, but there are like a dozen types of items that heal you for varying amounts, and they're all interchangeable in recipes and stuff and it's a little intimidating (might be alright with an interface that's worth a drat, but nope, not here).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dragon's Dogma also has a huge number of items with effectively no purpose at all. I haven't found an item with literally no use yet but there's a ton of them that are so specific that they could really just get removed and it wouldn't matter. Like a broom with no use but to be combined with something else to get a twig. And you can find twigs basically everywhere if you decide you really need one for some reason. Or a bucket with apparently no use but to upgrade one specific helmet a little bit (which can be upgraded with a different item anyway).

So anytime you're just grabbing items without looking and you see a bucket fly into your inventory it's like ugh now I have to find this thing in the middle of all my other trash I'll never use and throw it away (because items have weight and you get slowed down the more you carry).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Alien: Isolation is gorgeous but impossible. I've been trying really hard to love it because I love Alien but gently caress me sideways I can't get past like mission 3, and running back from those adorable save points each time is tedious. It's the part where you find the aaacesss tuuuuneerrr if anyone cares.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Chard posted:

One thing that bugged me about New Vegas and really any other game with competing factions is that they're all perfectly psychic. If I get the drop on a completely unawares soldier and take him out with a single headshot and he has no buddies for miles, I should not take a reputation hit. If there's two or whatever I can write that off as a radio transmission but not one clueless guy who died before he heard the rifle fire. I'm an invisible spirit of wrath dammit, let me play like one.
If you sneak kill someone and nobody sees it in New Vegas you don't get a reputation hit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

If you sneak kill someone and nobody sees it in New Vegas you don't get a reputation hit.

Yeah, I went around assassinating NCR officers with Legion throwing spears and never took a hit for it as long as I stayed out of sight.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Chard posted:

Alien: Isolation is gorgeous but impossible. I've been trying really hard to love it because I love Alien but gently caress me sideways I can't get past like mission 3, and running back from those adorable save points each time is tedious. It's the part where you find the aaacesss tuuuuneerrr if anyone cares.

Head to the left the moment you pick up the tuner. The humans don't patrol that section of the room at all and you can easily work around the back towards the door you need to go to.

Though if you find that section impossible, you may want to turn the difficulty down before you get to Medical.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, I went around assassinating NCR officers with Legion throwing spears and never took a hit for it as long as I stayed out of sight.

Even if you do take a reputation hit, there's always faction armor! Or that's how I got through that GRA challenge anyway.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Then they need to take a 2nd look at the items then, the game has an absurd number of bad items that bloat the pool and made the game needlessly difficult.

Definitely. There's all of the "Mom's ____" items which only increase range, which is a complete non-stat unless you're running around with Number One or other range-lowering item.

Meanwhile, there's all sorts of items which increase two separate, useful stats. The Mom items just seem really boring compared to the other options available in the game. I mean, they buffed some other items (Tammy's Head) which were useless, why do nothing with some of the most useless items in the game?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

1stGear posted:

Head to the left the moment you pick up the tuner. The humans don't patrol that section of the room at all and you can easily work around the back towards the door you need to go to.

Though if you find that section impossible, you may want to turn the difficulty down before you get to Medical.

I don't want to poo poo up this thread asking for help but they do actually patrol there, that's exactly what I've been trying. I can sneak upstairs but meleeing the dude by the door just means I'm shot in the back and the rewire distractions don't seem to work at all? Is there something I can do with this single flare I have? I dunno, I guess I'd just like it to be a hair more of a 'game' if that makes sense. I'm not learning what I'm doing wrong and that's frustrating.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

death .cab for qt posted:

Definitely. There's all of the "Mom's ____" items which only increase range, which is a complete non-stat unless you're running around with Number One or other range-lowering item.

Meanwhile, there's all sorts of items which increase two separate, useful stats. The Mom items just seem really boring compared to the other options available in the game. I mean, they buffed some other items (Tammy's Head) which were useless, why do nothing with some of the most useless items in the game?

I can think of a bunch of stuff that should be re-tooled or removed.

Bob's brain: Utterly worthless, you'll take more damage from it than enemies will due to its broken pathing.

Bomb tears: Dr. Fetus is now the missile guided one but there's one that gives you bomb tears, problem is the bomb tears are only about as strong as your damage stat, so with default attack, your bomb tears are weaker than your actual bombs.

Leo and thunder thighs: 2 items that do the exact same thing, except one slows you down, what's the point.

Chocolate milk: Kills any build you may have unless its brimstone, also render irrelevant by the existence of monstro's lung.

Magnet Tears: Draws enemies TOWARD YOU, why on earth would anyone take this, means if you lack speed you're gonna hit yourself more often than not.

Mini planet: Another item that destroys builds unless you had giant, super powerful tears.

Meanwhile there's poo poo that's so hilariously game breaking that grabbing it means a free win, like pyromaniac or the item that turns your tears into death's scythes.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, playing on vita was excruciating after a point. I got as far as beating Mom with Issac once, beating her again with another character and dying within minutes. I felt like I had the skills to beat it, but the game is so stacked against me that I couldn't climb over that wall. I just hit a point that I needed a guide to figure out how to continue, which is really inconvenient when you just need a game for the bus.

One personal thing for me was the near lack of persistence between games. Not to say that the roguelike insta-death is an inherently bad mechanic, but it's another to not go whole hog in it like BoI does. You can upgrade the shop with donations so you have a larger selection of items, but as far as I can tell that's it. If that's the one thing that can carry over between games, why can't other things like stats or items or such? I know the answer is probably, 'Because then the game would be easy', but then you get into the philosophical argument of what is fun and if difficulty is inherently good.

Basically, to put it bluntly, what drags it down for me personally is that I can't personally get past what makes the game difficult. I'm fine with the game mechanics being challenging, it's just the bullshit that makes it impossible for a guy needing something to do on the bus to finish. I want to love the game and play it for 200 hours. But I want those 200 hours to come from loving the game, not because the game requires it.

Now I just play Luftrausers. As for what dragged that game down for me was again, what I thought was a wall to another half of the game, but turned out to be the end game. So, a sort of lack of content, i.e. about a dozen parts total as opposed to what I thought was going to be fairly numerous.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My brother has the same issue, I think the bad items combined with room lay-outs really further exacerbate the issue of the bad item, cause there are game ending rooms in Isaac if you don't have flight or tears that go through objects at a minimum, on some occasions you need both to survive or at least not take huge damage.

Going for the no damage achievements is basically pure RNG, you have to pray you don't get bad rooms, hell I've had situations where I enter a room and boom, took a hit from something right off the bat, its pretty obnoxious.

I've noticed some other issues with enemies they added for Rebirth, all spiders for example are pretty bad, the wall ones have no cooldown with their attacks so they just spam endlessly, tiny spiders move very erratically and hard to see on dark floors and the big spiders sometimes jump the entire length of the room to hit you with rhyme or reason, its pretty odd.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't played rebirth but binding of isaac felt pretty overrated to me. Not a bad game but definitely not deserving of all the attention it gets. It's incredibly dependent on luck and while part of it does come down to skill, the RNG plays way too big of a part in how much skill you need to win. Sometimes the game decides it's time to be a cakewalk and other times it says gently caress you, and you have no control over which one it decides.

Compare that to games like Spelunky and Crypt of the Necrodancer (and of course more standard roguelikes like Dungeons of Dredmor), which use random layouts to make you actively respond to new situations instead of turning the gameplay into memorization, but without putting a bunch of chances up to the RNG where the game decides whether you're hosed or not. Isaac's procedural elements basically come down to a difficulty setting that the RNG invisibly controls each game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

The silenced pistol that gave you a huge bonus to crits was the best for this. Crouch behind a desk or chair, shoot a guy in the back of the head, make him explode in bloody chunks thanks to the insta-crit you get from a sneak attack, and nobody notices or cares even if the guy dies in front of them mid-conversation. I pretty much cleaned out the entire Vault 3 without raising the alarm by doing this and it was hilarious.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I was playing trough Dungeon of the Endless all merrily when my run got ended by one of my original pair of characters killing the other while on the elevator to level 5 or something which is so loving dumb. I get that this is how they've chosen to tell their story but couldn't that just as well have happened at the end of the run instead where it doesn't gently caress me over? :negative:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

2house2fly posted:

This is kind of inconsistent really. There are certain characters that everyone will know you killed no matter what. The worst for me was Pacer who actually has a quest that requires you to kill him with a plasma weapon to frame the Van Graffs for his death. I thought I had a clever solution in sneaking into his bedroom at night and planting plasma mines on the floor. I then hid in another room waiting for him to wake up and step on a mine. That worked according to plan, but somehow the rest of the kings not only knew that Pacer had just dies in his closed bedroom but knew that I was responsible and where I was hiding. Apparently the only way to successfully pull off framing the Van Graffs is to kill him out in the open during a side quest that I imagine most players would have completed by that point. This stands out as an especially specific and obtuse solution in a game that is generally very good about letting you devise your own way of completing quests.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In 'The Evil Within' somewhat early in the game, you're in a village and you need a chainsaw to cut a chain and you have to fight this crazy chainsaw guy in a barn and I just cannot beat him. I'm low on ammo and like 8 other enemies spawn when he shows up and I have died like 15 times to this guy and I am really getting annoyed.

I just know 15 year-old-me could have sliced and diced this guy but my skills are fading like so much dust in the wind :(

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

oldpainless posted:

In 'The Evil Within' somewhat early in the game, you're in a village and you need a chainsaw to cut a chain and you have to fight this crazy chainsaw guy in a barn and I just cannot beat him. I'm low on ammo and like 8 other enemies spawn when he shows up and I have died like 15 times to this guy and I am really getting annoyed.

I just know 15 year-old-me could have sliced and diced this guy but my skills are fading like so much dust in the wind :(

Flash bolts helped me there. Can you make any?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

oldpainless posted:

you're in a village and you need a chainsaw to cut a chain

That's kind of genius

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a bunch of traps scattered around the village as well, including a couple that are infinite use.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

oldpainless posted:

In the building to the left of the gate, where you need to cut the chain, there's a weird spike trap thing. There are two levers, one on the stairs, and a second one on the wall facing the stairs, and both cause giant spikes to shoot out from an obvious array of holes in the floor. If you get chainsaw guy to walk in there twice, he's toast.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thanks everyone. I will try again.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Finally got Shadow of Mordor and I have to bitch about this stupid game because I cannot fathom why it was so critically acclaimed upon release.

The combat is just AssCreed's boring as hell counter system. And the AC platforming is still just as janky and horrible as ever. All that's been covered to death via the AC games so I won't go into it any further other than wondering why they copied AC of all things when it's infamous for having some of the worst combat and movement ever devised in a video game.

The enemy encounters are what really piss me off. You can't start a battle with a named Orc without alerting everyone within a two mile radius. So two or three Orcs quickly becomes two dozen. And often the fight attracts every other named Orc in the area so not only are you trying to survive fighting one extremely difficult Orc, invariably you end up also fighting five of his buddies who are all just as strong if not stronger.

And when you're outnumbered don't even bother trying to run away! Because every named Orc is apparently psychic and will chase you to the ends of Middle Earth no matter how many bushes you jump into, rocks you duck behind, or towers you climb. Nearly every battle I start ends with me running across the landscape like Benny Hill with every citizen of the area following behind in a half-mile long conga line of death.

This all also makes it a pain in the rear end to finish off a named Orc since every single goddamn one of them runs away when you whittle down their HP enough but you rarely have the opportunity to chase after them because you're drowning in nameless peons that block your way. So good luck downing your target in one battle. Chances are they're going to get away and you'll have to hunt them down again later and do it all over again.

Also, you can forget stealth since every single thing that exists in this game is the same shades of brown. So trying to sneak around is either useless because you'll end up missing those archers that blend in with the platforms they're standing on, who will then alert all of Mordor to your existence, or you have to walk around in that stupid ghost mode all the time which kills immersion and also defeats the point of being stealthy and careful since it tells you where everyone is everywhere at every time. Plus, stealth kills don't work on 80% of Mordor's population anyways.

The cutscenes at every new Orc encounter are annoying as all hell. They could've just flashed the name of the Orc up on screen while he talked rather than pulling me out of the game every time I stumble across a new Orc.

Graphics-wise the game is passable. But I resent that even on lower settings it brings my PC to its knee's when plenty of other new games play just fine on higher settings and look much better. But I assume it's the Nemesis system that eats up most of my resources so I can take some responsibility for that one.

Lastly, the plot leaves a lot to be desired. I have no reason to give a poo poo about anything that is going on.

The Nemesis system is a neat idea, and I did get a bit of a thrill out of hunting down an Orc that backstabbed me to death while I was trying to fight a Captain. But all the packaging that goes with it is horrible and everyone should feel bad for accepting this kind of poo poo from game developers and then praising it like people have. This is a bad game with a neat gimmick and nothing more.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The combat is literally Arkhams combat (which has similarities to AC, but is far more about building a rhythm of strikes to build up a combo than it is about just countering). Build combo, jump over guy with shield, stun dude, do flurry combo, do 2 button combat finisher. Unlock upgrade to lower the number you need to hit for combat finisher, unlock ability to throw baterangs/throwing knives mid flurry. As for the orcs being psychic, I usually found it fairly easy to evade if I was in trouble, you just need to make sure you break line of sight before you duck in a bush (or preferably get vertical, the orcs rarely look up if they didnt see you climb).

It sounds like you are taking on orc bosses in fortresses. You can do that, but early in the game you'll get murdered (or at least I would). When they are out and about (either just in the open world or on one of their "Grarg the Frightened is on a hunting expedition" missions) they tend* to just have a retinue of normal orcs. When they flee if you have the "leg shots pin your target in place" skill, use that, catch them, do murder. I died a lot in the early game, but the difficulty drops significantly when you make inroads into the upgrade tree. I'm not a pro gamer by any standard, I play most games on "normal" difficulty and usually enjoy the inverted difficulty curve a lot of games have (I like the late game feeling like a victory lap as I use my upgrades to destroy enemies that would have killed me easily at the start), but if anything my complaint about Mordor is the opposite; By the late game I'd almost have to deliberately decide to lose a fight in order to die, and that meant that I stopped seeing so much of the nemesis system which is the core of the game. There are precious few games that I think should be tougher to be honest, Mordor is one of those few.

It's fine you dont like the game, not every game appeals to everyone, but those in particular seem like odd complaints to me.

*On unlocking the second map I saw a Captain within about a minute, so I thought I'd get a head start on depopulating saurons army. He turned out to be immune to stealth finishers, and seemingly I'd interupted a goddamn Saurons Captains company picnic as 3 more captains rounded a corner and charged. So it does happen, but that was the exception, not the rule.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DStecks posted:

Yeah and gently caress games that give you poo poo like quest logs too, you should be forced to use a paper notebook like back in the good old days. And gently caress maps too, and gently caress saving your game at all, if you wanna play a game you should do the whole thing in one hideous sitting like it's Turtles in Time

Unironically all of this.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mister Adequate posted:

Back to the days when they gave you blank lined pages in the manuals. :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah, playing on vita was excruciating after a point. I got as far as beating Mom with Issac once, beating her again with another character and dying within minutes. I felt like I had the skills to beat it, but the game is so stacked against me that I couldn't climb over that wall. I just hit a point that I needed a guide to figure out how to continue, which is really inconvenient when you just need a game for the bus.

If you can't beat Mom with just about any item set up then you're nowhere near the skill ceiling for that game. That said, I'll usually reset if I don't get any good items by the end of the second floor. Getting a bunch of "Mom's Lipstick" and etc basically means you won't be having any fun that run.

Esroc posted:

Finally got Shadow of Mordor and I have to bitch about this stupid game because I cannot fathom why it was so critically acclaimed upon release.

My problem with the game is that it was just so easy. I never had any of the cool moments I heard everyone talking about because I never had any trouble whatsoever beating whatever the game threw at me. I can't say that about the Arkham games even on normal difficulty so it's not like my skills are super amazing, the game is simply really easy.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Dec 15, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

And whatever, you can have all of it, there are games that do that well and are really cool for doing it well; but some percentage of the population gets morally loving offended that every game isn't that.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I'm not happy that even with More Options, killing a horseman in BoI:Rebirth doesn't give you your choice of Ball of Bandages/Cube of Meat, but instead gives you one and then a random item pool item for the second item.

It's going to be hellish to assemble a full meat boy or bandage girl at this rate.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pidmon posted:

I'm not happy that even with More Options, killing a horseman in BoI:Rebirth doesn't give you your choice of Ball of Bandages/Cube of Meat, but instead gives you one and then a random item pool item for the second item.

It's going to be hellish to assemble a full meat boy or bandage girl at this rate.

You'd think there be something programmed into the game that would assure you get the next piece, so if you got the bandages then every horseman piece is another bandage thing.

Also I played it plenty of hours to be completely sure, wanted to give it a fair slice but I can finally say with 100% confidence that Destiny has THE WORST PvP aspect of any shooter I have ever played in the last 15 or so years, the maps are horrible, the classes are so unbalanced that even the term unbalanced feels like it doesn't do justice to just how bad that poo poo is, supers are the stupidest loving thing in the game, they work fine for PvE for PvP its just a free kill button, no skill needed, just press that button, enjoy your no effort quad, and grinding any sort of rep in it goes up at a loving snails space as well, bounties should help with this, it gives a flat reputation boost but they're all incredibly situational so actually completing these bounties takes forever, its just pure luck or shove your face in the grindstone till you're done.

Stats are normalized in terms of weapon damage but not the perks you have on your gear or guns, so yes that guy that played a LOT of PvE will have a gear advantage over you, keep in mind that its not like CoD where you just unlocked poo poo by leveling, no its just purely whether or not the RNG smiled upon you and gave you the ultimate gun that just happens to kill players effortlessly.

I'm honestly wondering if Bungie really did do any sort of work on the PvP aspect of this game, the Halo game had issues sure but this is so horrible that it just blows my mind, that someone with Bungie's pedigree could poo poo out this abomination of a multiplayer and say "yea, that's perfect, good to go".

Forgot to mention, doing the PvP ocasinally rewards you with gear, this system is completely random, you could be MvP and get nothing, you could be the team albatross and go 2-30 and get one of the rarest weapons in the game for sucking, its pretty awful.

Alteisen has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Dec 15, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

My problem with the game is that it was just so easy. I never had any of the cool moments I heard everyone talking about because I never had any trouble whatsoever beating whatever the game threw at me. I can't say that about the Arkham games even on normal difficulty so it's not like my skills are super amazing, the game is simply really easy.

This. SoM was a really good game that COULD have been great. Still a really solid title I do not spending some money on. But I have to agree here, I heard of all these bad rear end stories of captians coming back and calling you out. In my game I died maybe 5 times and at least 3 of them were to Caragors. I never had a captain come try to find me, I never got to see them all patched up, and I found I was quickly a demi-god once I started getting upgrades. I would have loved to have had the combat and encounters the way they are, but maybe have less chance to insta-kill the enemies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DStecks posted:

And whatever, you can have all of it, there are games that do that well and are really cool for doing it well; but some percentage of the population gets morally loving offended that every game isn't that.

Casuals gotta learn :colbert: When I was a kid finishing a game meant something :corsair:

Seriously though, I think it's great that there is diversity in games not just in tone or genre but difficulty and stuff too. There are definitely some games where Ironman is a great idea (X-Com, CK2) because the importance of decisions meaningfully improves the gameplay, or even games where a total absence of notes or whatever is core to the experience of exploration and mastery (Dark Souls being an obvious one here). But if ALL games were like that it would be a terrible thing, and I don't find the absence of any way to know where you are and what you are doing to be very compelling. Games like FF 13 that fill you in on the loading screen (or by being a straight fuckin' line :v:) are almost always right to do that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Casuals gotta learn :colbert: When I was a kid finishing a game meant something :corsair:

Seriously though, I think it's great that there is diversity in games not just in tone or genre but difficulty and stuff too. There are definitely some games where Ironman is a great idea (X-Com, CK2) because the importance of decisions meaningfully improves the gameplay, or even games where a total absence of notes or whatever is core to the experience of exploration and mastery (Dark Souls being an obvious one here). But if ALL games were like that it would be a terrible thing, and I don't find the absence of any way to know where you are and what you are doing to be very compelling. Games like FF 13 that fill you in on the loading screen (or by being a straight fuckin' line :v:) are almost always right to do that.

I agree exactly, but furthermore, I'd also argue that people forget the mountain of games from back in the day that did not do any of this poo poo well.

The people who bitch loudest about modern games being "too easy" forget that all of these trends (hand-holding objectives, regenerating health, etc.) are reactions to the old games that had the hard mechanics and did them poorly. The games where you just had no clue where to go unless you used a strategy guide. The games where if you took too much damage in a particular segment, you were just hosed for the next part and had to restart the mission entirely. The difficult systems are rockin' cool when they're used properly, but they are hard to do well, whereas if you have regenerating health then level design becomes an order of magnitude easier. The average video game now is much better than the average video game of 20 years ago, but the highs aren't as high (and the lows aren't as low).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

I agree exactly, but furthermore, I'd also argue that people forget the mountain of games from back in the day that did not do any of this poo poo well.

The people who bitch loudest about modern games being "too easy" forget that all of these trends (hand-holding objectives, regenerating health, etc.) are reactions to the old games that had the hard mechanics and did them poorly. The games where you just had no clue where to go unless you used a strategy guide. The games where if you took too much damage in a particular segment, you were just hosed for the next part and had to restart the mission entirely. The difficult systems are rockin' cool when they're used properly, but they are hard to do well, whereas if you have regenerating health then level design becomes an order of magnitude easier. The average video game now is much better than the average video game of 20 years ago, but the highs aren't as high (and the lows aren't as low).

You hit the nail on the head man, way to much difficulty back when I was a kid was just poor design, not necessarily actual difficultly.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Alteisen posted:

You'd think there be something programmed into the game that would assure you get the next piece, so if you got the bandages then every horseman piece is another bandage thing.

If this was a dig at me, good job - I looked it up just now and it's indeed the case, so I must've already had a Cube of Meat on the run where I got the Cube versus the Belt with More Options.

I mean you still need to fight a horseman on every single floor before the womb2 to get the meat boy and bandage girl achievements so it's still fairly bullshit.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Anyone who thinks modern games are too easy should play risk of rain, and also shut up

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bicth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

DStecks posted:

The people who bitch loudest about modern games being "too easy" forget that all of these trends (hand-holding objectives, regenerating health, etc.)

Do people really bitch about this? Because regenerating health is perhaps the greatest innovation in video games in the last 20 years.