Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

disheveled posted:

By the way, if you really need evidence at this point to disregard FootballScoop as having any legitimate sources in this search:

Joe Moglia just faked a punt against NDSU. A real Michigan Man would've gritted his teeth, punted, and gazed across the frozen landscape.

He's out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hey Les you want to leave your job in the best conference in football in front of rabid, passionate fans so you can come coach a program in complete disarray in front of fans who treat games like funerals?

Les, why are you laughing Les. Please stop laughing.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

disheveled posted:

By the way, if you really need evidence at this point to disregard FootballScoop as having any legitimate sources in this search:

Uhhh, all it's saying is that even though nobody at U of M has mentioned his name, other coaches he talks to mention him as an interesting candidate. Which is he is?

Y'all getting weird with your vendetta against FootballScoop just because it disagrees with your fantasies.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I heard Bill Belichick is really interested. I know he's not a Michigan Man, but he's going to take Brady as his QB coach.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

Y'all getting weird with your vendetta against FootballScoop just because it disagrees with your fantasies.

Tbf they've had a really bad month, which might be a problem with them becoming increasingly popular and more bullshit tips getting thrown at them idk.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

Uhhh, all it's saying is that even though nobody at U of M has mentioned his name, other coaches he talks to mention him as an interesting candidate. Which is he is?

Joe Moglia is also 65 years old. He would be over 70 by the time his own players were seniors. He's not good enough for a five-year stopgap. No major program would consider him a serious candidate.

That FBS is even mentioning him shows they don't put any effort into screening their tips and just post whatever they hear from anywhere regardless of credibility.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hey Les you want to leave your job in the best conference in football in front of rabid, passionate fans so you can come coach a program in complete disarray in front of fans who treat games like funerals?

Les, why are you laughing Les. Please stop laughing.

LSU is one of like one of the 10 HC gigs in CFB where going to Michigan wouldn't be a step up in terms of prestige. IDK why anyone would think a coach in good standing at one of those jobs would leave for Michigan...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BigBoss posted:

LSU is one of like one of the 10 HC gigs in CFB where going to Michigan wouldn't be a step up in terms of prestige. IDK why anyone would think a coach in good standing at one of those jobs would leave for Michigan...

:10bux:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Yeah I'm sure LSU doesn't have the money to compete

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

BigBoss posted:

Exactly, and especially for a guy who has already been a "candidate" twice (blown off both times). If he leaves LSU, I really have to wonder what the gently caress he's thinking. Besides pity or some weird desire to get his old program back on track? Alternatively, maybe he's sick of LSU and is ready to just up and go coach Anywhere But Here. I don't buy it.

Yeah, money, sure. That's probably the best explanation, but I'm still skeptical. Does Michigan really offer more than LSU?...

[edit: lmao Michigan is not going to pay Miles more than he's getting now, I should have looked that up before agreeing with that. Money isn't it.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 13, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LSU might offer money, championships, and fame, but does it offer to be head coach of Michigan Football, by default the moral arbiter of the United States?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

That FBS is even mentioning him shows they don't put any effort into screening their tips and just post whatever they hear from anywhere regardless of credibility.

They're not reporting it as as tip, they're saying other coaches are saying "hey they should look at this guy", which I believe because that honestly seems like something coaches would say.

R.D. Mangles posted:

LSU might offer money, championships, and fame, but does it offer to be head coach of Michigan Football, by default the moral arbiter of the United States?

Maybe Les Miles just wants to coach at the Harvard Of The West

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They're not reporting it as as tip, they're saying other coaches are saying "hey they should look at this guy", which I believe because that honestly seems like something coaches would say.

It's the same result. It simply shifts to "coaches can be really loving dumb but we're going to print the stupid things they say anyway."

They're still not a credible source.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Still much more credible than John U Bacon and Mgoblog my friend :)

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

What's going to happen to Brady Hoke now

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Petite Dinklage posted:

What's going to happen to Brady Hoke now

Football Scoops says he's going to take the Wisconsin job.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Like, it seems like we have to do this everytime one of these old white person schools has a job opening, but seriously. This is as dumb as when Witz said loving Bob Stoops was the next head coach of the Notre Dame Fightin' Irish, book it.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Football Scoops says he's going to take the Wisconsin job.

Shut your loving mouth

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Some of you act like Harbaugh and Miles have no connection to the program and for them to dismiss with prejudice the Michigan job is a foregone conclusion. To think these guys wouldn't consider coming back to their alma mater and former team to bring them back from a low point in the program's history is awfully presumptuous. Especially considering you're looking at one job change that could be considered a lateral move and the other a clear downgrade but at best move back to the college ranks.

I'm not saying these two are both hot after the job but to just dismiss them both as candidates is silly. It's not like people are throwing out BB, Lombardi, and Tom Landry for the position. For some of you, don't let your disdain for Michigan get in the way of seeing that it's still a sought after job; especially with these coaches who were raised in the 70s and 80s when Michigan actually was a top 5 destination.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dattserberg posted:

Some of you act like Harbaugh and Miles have no connection to the program and for them to dismiss with prejudice the Michigan job is a foregone conclusion. To think these guys wouldn't consider coming back to their alma mater and former team to bring them back from a low point in the program's history is awfully presumptuous. Especially considering you're looking at one job change that could be considered a lateral move and the other a clear downgrade but at best move back to the college ranks.

I'm not saying these two are both hot after the job but to just dismiss them both as candidates is silly. It's not like people are throwing out BB, Lombardi, and Tom Landry for the position. For some of you, don't let your disdain for Michigan get in the way of seeing that it's still a sought after job; especially with these coaches who were raised in the 70s and 80s when Michigan actually was a top 5 destination.

When is the last time Michigan got its first choice?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well most were laughing at the line "at worst Les Miles" which is pretty presumptuous.

Plus its still a slim chance, so I think it is far to laugh at, even if les did end up doing it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Dattserberg posted:

I'm a Michigan alum and lifelong fan, I just happen to be realistic. Take one look at MGoBoard; this fanbase has the most absurd and totally unwarranted superiority complex, even if the program hadn't been marginal to awful since 2007. I don't think either Harbaugh or Miles are outside the realm of possibility, but expectations need to be tempered.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dattserberg posted:

Michigan has had two job openings since 2007 and both Miles and Harbaugh were available then and didn't take the job. But beyond that, why we're all laughing, why we all think it's funny is because you have a poster claiming to have The Inside Scoop; which is about on par with "My Dad Works for Nintendo."

And another dude who thinks that Les Miles is "the worst case scenario."

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
To clarify, I agree "at worst Les Miles" is ridiculous. All I'm saying is Miles and Harbaugh have better and equal* jobs right now, but don't discount what going back to your alma mater and team can get a person to do.

Andichu- I'm speaking about the job in general and not the "sources" poo poo which I've talked about earlier and have certainly agreed is almost universally bullshit that people pull from sports talk radio or a message board.

* LSU is clearly a better job than Michigan at the moment

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well most were laughing at the line "at worst Les Miles" which is pretty presumptuous.

Plus its still a slim chance, so I think it is far to laugh at, even if les did end up doing it.

Well, there are numerous people in a position to know who insist that Les would drop LSU for Michigan in a heartbeat and has told them that personally. I hear it often enough from enough different places that it seems to have some credibility.

So it's not just Michigan people being arrogant or presumptuous. It's what they've been told by many well-connected people. There's just no way to know whether it's true or not.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like, it seems like we have to do this everytime one of these old white person schools has a job opening, but seriously. This is as dumb as when Witz said loving Bob Stoops was the next head coach of the Notre Dame Fightin' Irish, book it.

All this talk about coaches switching teams got me thinking, what would I consider the be the top HC gigs in the NCAA?

If I had to guess based not only on how good the team is/has been historically, but also things like institutional and fan support, ability to build a legacy, stuff like that, my list would look something like this:

Tier 1-A
---------------
Michigan
Ohio St.
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Alabama
Texas
LSU
USC

Tier 1-B
-----------
Penn St.
Wisconsin
Nebraska
TAMU
Oregon
Auburn
Tennessee
Florida
UGA
Florida St

Obviously there is some flux, with schools like Penn St. trending down because of the whole child abuse thing, or Oregon trending up over the past decade or so due to rich Uncle Phil, but overall I'd have to guess that these are the king poo poo jobs in CFB that all the GAs and position coaches dream about when they go to sleep at night. Off the top of my head Saban is the only person I can think of that has gone from HC of one 1-A to another 1-A, and that was with a break in between. Meyer was the most recent 1-B to 1-A that I can think of, but overall I'm not really thinking of a lot of guys moving around in this pool.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

BigBoss posted:

All this talk about coaches switching teams got me thinking, what would I consider the be the top HC gigs in the NCAA?

If I had to guess based not only on how good the team is/has been historically, but also things like institutional and fan support, ability to build a legacy, stuff like that, my list would look something like this:

Tier 1-A
---------------
Michigan
Ohio St.
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Alabama
Texas
LSU
USC

Tier 1-B
-----------
Penn St.
Wisconsin
Nebraska
TAMU
Oregon
Auburn
Tennessee
Florida
UGA
Florida St

Obviously there is some flux, with schools like Penn St. trending down because of the whole child abuse thing, or Oregon trending up over the past decade or so due to rich Uncle Phil, but overall I'd have to guess that these are the king poo poo jobs in CFB that all the GAs and position coaches dream about when they go to sleep at night. Off the top of my head Saban is the only person I can think of that has gone from HC of one 1-A to another 1-A, and that was with a break in between. Meyer was the most recent 1-B to 1-A that I can think of, but overall I'm not really thinking of a lot of guys moving around in this pool.

Michigan is deffo not Tier 1 atm, and I would absolutely not put Nebraska and Wisconsin in that same pool of jobs. Hell, Penn State isn't a GREAT job.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Michigan is deffo not Tier 1 atm, and I would absolutely not put Nebraska and Wisconsin in that same pool of jobs. Hell, Penn State isn't a GREAT job.

At this exact moment, Michigan isn't competing for a national title. That doesn't mean it can't. That doesn't mean that a good coach there wont make millions over the next decade or two and retire a college football god. Don't confuse how good the team is right now for how powerful the allure of the job is. Michigan is a traditionally top flight team with a 100 years of history, tons of national interest, and more money than most anyone in the FBS. Wisconsin and Nebraska are both huge schools with loyal fan bases in the historically biggest and richest conference. A good coach leading the Huskers or Badgers to sustained national prominence would become mythological. I think that, more than just "who's good right now", is what is important. If that were the case then Boise would have been a top gig a few years ago, but realistically it wasn't.

I also don't believe 49ers are automatically a better gig for Harbaugh than Michigan just because it's in the pros. Ask Saban if the Dolphins were a better gig than Alabama, or Rick Pitino if the Celtics was a better job than Louisville and Kentucky. "Better" is a relative term.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Agreed with these; I'd definitely put Florida in 1A if not FSU as well; and add Georgia to 1B oh it's in there. But that definition of 1A is exactly the short list of schools I think about as being unarguably higher prestige destinations when thinking about Malzahn's hypothetical future.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BigBoss posted:

At this exact moment, Michigan isn't competing for a national title. That doesn't mean it can't. That doesn't mean that a good coach there wont make millions over the next decade or two and retire a college football god. Don't confuse how good the team is right now for how powerful the allure of the job is. Michigan is a traditionally top flight team with a 100 years of history, tons of national interest, and more money than most anyone in the FBS. Wisconsin and Nebraska are both huge schools with loyal fan bases in the historically biggest and richest conference. A good coach leading the Huskers or Badgers to sustained national prominence would become mythological. I think that, more than just "who's good right now", is what is important. If that were the case then Boise would have been a top gig a few years ago, but realistically it wasn't.

I also don't believe 49ers are automatically a better gig for Harbaugh than Michigan just because it's in the pros. Ask Saban if the Dolphins were a better gig than Alabama, or Rick Pitino if the Celtics was a better job than Louisville and Kentucky. "Better" is a relative term.

jesus christ

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BigBoss posted:

At this exact moment, Michigan isn't competing for a national title. That doesn't mean it can't.

lol Michigan is in the Big Ten, literally

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

BigBoss posted:

Maybe if Saban and Pitino weren't incredibly mediocre pro coaches they would think that it's "better"

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I didn't realize Sam Webb was on the "moron" list. I was also just relaying what he said.

I have no misconceptions that michigan is awesome and great; my rage quit post on this very forum was back in 2011 when I said brady hoke was a worse hire than jerry kill. This forum's response was when a bunch of totally objective posters that were entirely not overly influenced by someone expressing an opinion from a position of authority laughed at me because kill was just the worst, man

Also the last time Michigan got its first choice is pretty well documented to be in 2011, when noted moron David Brandon terminated Rich Rodriguez because of reasons and hired Brady Hoke, who was the perfect candidate for Brandon's misunderstanding of priorities and megalomania.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol Michigan is in the Big Ten, literally

Just because Purdue isn't competing for the national title right NOW, doesn't mean it won't be

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Wait. Are you saying Michigan isn't a 1A job? Or that Michigan isn't a tier one job at all, based on this pile of schools.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Alouicious posted:

Just because Purdue isn't competing for the national title right NOW, doesn't mean it won't be

"Clearly, no Big Ten team could ever ascend to greatness," the not-Baylor not-TCU fan laughed haughtily.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Feces Starship posted:

"Clearly, no Big Ten team could ever ascend to greatness," the not-Baylor not-TCU fan laughed haughtily.

No Big Ten team will ever win another national championship.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deteriorata posted:

Well, there are numerous people in a position to know who insist that Les would drop LSU for Michigan in a heartbeat and has told them that personally. I hear it often enough from enough different places that it seems to have some credibility.

So it's not just Michigan people being arrogant or presumptuous. It's what they've been told by many well-connected people. There's just no way to know whether it's true or not.

I just don't understand why now and not a couple years ago.

Specifically as that was Les at his peak desirability.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Feces Starship posted:

I'm currently spending my time rooting for the Illinois State Redbirds to beat the Eastern Washington Eagles in the FCS Quarterfinals so throw your poo poo somewhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just don't understand why now and not a couple years ago.

Specifically as that was Les at his peak desirability.

Mile was a candidate in 2007 and it got hosed up due to a leak. Miles was not a candidate in 2011 because Dave Brandon is an idiot.

• Locked thread