Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What would a planet of all black people really look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Probably lotsa bulb-shaped arches in things.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Frostwerks posted:

did anyone ever play the tcg. seemed complicated as gently caress

i tried to get into it but holy poo poo the rules were garbage

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shiksa posted:

did you know that mace windu, one of three black people in star wars, technically isnt human?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korun

yep there's a special black people sub-species of humans in the eu.

lmao this is amazing.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
the book theyre in is pretty cool tho

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
The whole idea of canon is really funny to me cause its like saying that some things didn't happen but that other things really didn't happen.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
yeah its loving stupid but whats even worse is watching people whine because somehow somebody deciding a book isnt canon ruins their enjoyment of reading it

loving nerds

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jim Barris posted:

The whole idea of canon is really funny to me cause its like saying that some things didn't happen but that other things really didn't happen.

Someone earlier in the thread said Disney will still print and sell some old novels amd poo poo, just with a disclaimer they are pretend pretend stories.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Do most authors operate under a specific canon

Like is the last tycoon an official part of the gatsbyverse or an elseworlds tale or what

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Otisburg posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said Disney will still print and sell some old novels amd poo poo, just with a disclaimer they are pretend pretend stories.

If it makes enough money then maybe they'll continue the old EU and call it Star Wars Universe-77 and the new one is Star Wars Universe-15 and they'll do stupid poo poo like crossover events between the two universes. Bring in the worst aspect of comic books into the star wars universe.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Actually the fact that modern humans need to classify their fiction into the "real" fiction and the just-for-fun fiction is really interesting especially in respect to humans with regards to history and espectially biblical canon

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Do most authors operate under a specific canon

Like is the last tycoon an official part of the gatsbyverse or an elseworlds tale or what

Sounds like a fantastic question to ask Stephen King.

While a large portion of the Star Wars EU is quite ridiculous, I must confess that my friends and I are enjoying FFG's Star Wars RPG.

That being said, the propensity of EU authors to attribute behaviors of a specific character in the movies to an entire species (all Rodians are bounty hunters because Greedo was, all Hutts are fat crime lords because Jabba was, all Sullustans are awesome pilots because Lando's co-pilot was a pilot, all four-armed guys from that Phantom Menace podracing scene are into podracing, etc. etc. ad infinitium ad nauseum) always vexed me, even as a child.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Like there were dozens of writings about jesus and jesus nerds had this Exact loving Problem and so they picked a handful that were the most solid reads though still contradictory

disney is literally the modern Marcion of Sinope

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

serious question, was anyone able to see both the title and preview image of this video and still bring yourself to actually click play

Here, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d84U-MUsXg

Seriously more entertaining than any of the three star wars books I've read. The bit starting at at 1:50 is magical. Programmed for homo-ecstasy sounds like an awesome username.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Wow, the original one isn't nearly as good as I remember it being
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4w7ChpuaM

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I always liked the jedi knight series, since Kyle Katarn was probably the most chill and down to earth jedi ever :shrug:

He knew the force wasn't some PURE GOOD or PURE EVIL poo poo, it all depended on how it was used.

Speaking of the starwars games, in KOTOR was there ever a reason to not dual wield or use a two hander?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Don Gato posted:

If it makes enough money then maybe they'll continue the old EU and call it Star Wars Universe-77 and the new one is Star Wars Universe-15 and they'll do stupid poo poo like crossover events between the two universes. Bring in the worst aspect of comic books into the star wars universe.

han and han team up

id read it

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
There was a Duelist perk that gave you a bonus to attack and damage if you wielded a lightsaber in one hand with a free off-hand, but it was lackluster in comparison to the options you mentioned.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Don Gato posted:

the single advantage eu has over comics in terms of readabiltiy is the lack of alternate universes or time travel*

*gently caress you troy denning, that doesnt count

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i also didnt like in scoundrels how at teh end of the book its revealed that some guy in the book is boba fett

otherwise the book was pretty decent iirc because it was basically oceans 11

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Wicker Man posted:

Speaking of the starwars games, in KOTOR was there ever a reason to not dual wield or use a two hander?

One lightsaber looks more like a "classic" Jedi/Sith and both games were so easy by the end that you really didn't need the extra min-maxing from dual-wielding anyways.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 13, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
is that game possible to beat playing as basically a non jedi?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fetus Tree posted:

Probably not...those lightsabers had much higher damage bonuses than the blades. There is probably one super special blade in the game that might come close, but I haven't played that in like 10 years.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

Possible? Probably. Fun? Probably not. In KOTOR 2 it was totally possible though, with the addition of perks that let you counter a Jedi's blaster bolt reflection and poo poo.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i always thought it was more fun using blasters and stuff in that game. lightsabers cheesed the combat too much

there is one like super special sword though i think youre right, i think you get it in catacombs or something on the sith planet iirc

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'

paranoid randroid posted:

lets hear it for Twimp Lingam on the kloo horn.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That's a lot more than the zero he should have had, and far outpaces the Emperor, who had only eight besides the ones that show up in the movies (for a total of eleven).

(...)
Mara Jade[19]
What the heck, Mara Jade wasn't an apprentice, she was just a top agent who'd been taught a few Force tricks. *furiously edits Wookieepedia*

Wolfsheim posted:

serious question, was anyone able to see both the title and preview image of this video and still bring yourself to actually click play
I played it because I was curious to see if it was a recording of the Flash animation I watched on Newgrounds well over a decade ago, and it was.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

Loden Taylor posted:

someone post the edit with all the lasers flying around

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The best use of the Force yet.

(Probably needs to have a few frames shaved off to eliminate the blur from the crop tool)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Morrowind Combat.gif

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I'm at that part in Solo Command where Wedge Antilles and Wes Jansen strip naked and smear each other with Ewok food.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Wicker Man posted:

You can do more damage with a single blade IF you combine it with master speed, and the single blade pulls even further ahead if you use master flurry as well. Duelist also gives you defensive bonuses. If you want versatility, however, two blades are the best option.
http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotor/strategies/choosingweapons.php

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

dnd rules are poo poo :shhh:

id love for someone to do a kotor game without that lovely ruleset

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

gohuskies posted:

One lightsaber looks more like a "classic" Jedi/Sith and both games were so easy by the end that you really didn't need the extra min-maxing from dual-wielding anyways.

original unpatched KOTOR the game didn't add the off hand penalty for using a dual bladed lightsaber, you used it to effectively get far higher damage with no downside.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dual wield because then you get to use two of your favorite colors duh.

I'm an orange/blue man myself.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Frog-dog

doobie

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

In ESB they try to recruit Luke to the dark side, but how does that work with the whole only two sith at a time thing? My immersion!:arghfist::mad:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
defeat the emperor and rule as father and son duh

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

McPhearson posted:

In ESB they try to recruit Luke to the dark side, but how does that work with the whole only two sith at a time thing? My immersion!:arghfist::mad:

if clone wars is still canon then there's also that bald sith lady kicking around

basically there was zero thought put into it and i think they've tried to retcon it to be a metaphorical rule of two or an honorarium or whatever

btw i started watching the clone wars and it's mostly bad but i've legitimately enjoyed some of the episodes, i've become the very thing i started this thread to make fun of
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The clone wars cartoon was pretty awesome, the CGI show turned me off by the middle of the first episode.

• Locked thread