Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

haveblue posted:

What's his answer?

"I have enormous faith that you'll win"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

2house2fly posted:

You can also... not calm him down:

Fallout New Vegas is the best game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Everything about New Vegas makes me think they designed the game for the Fallout 2 engine first and then adapted it into a pile of Bethesda.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

scamtank posted:

Everything about New Vegas makes me think they designed the game for the Fallout 2 engine first and then adapted it into a pile of Bethesda.

You're wrong, but not entirely wrong. It was adapted from the original plan for Fallout 3, which was on a self-made third-person RPG engine.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
A lot of Van Buren ideas were interesting and a lot were totally insane so I feel like New Vegas was what happens when you have a decade to sit on these ideas and sort of the wheat from the chaff.

It might be fun to see some of the weirder stuff one day though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

I thought that Dragon Age: Origin was an awful slog of a game but I loved that they justified having to buy items before the final battle by having the last store be run by a crippling autist who can barely speak let alone comprehend why charging money for things when a battle is raging around you is a bad idea.

RagnarokAngel posted:

A lot of Van Buren ideas were interesting and a lot were totally insane so I feel like New Vegas was what happens when you have a decade to sit on these ideas and sort of the wheat from the chaff.

It might be fun to see some of the weirder stuff one day though.

The design docs for Van Buren were leaked and they even released the playable demo of the engine's alpha, The Fallout WIki has a pretty good breakdown of everything.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Having read some of the leaked design doc, I'm pretty interested in Burning Springs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

What was the totally insane stuff, again? AFAIK the only big concepts they took were Caesar's Legion and the area around Hoover Dam being in the game. One of the earlier drafts had the Chinese caricatures from Fallout 2 being nuked by the Enclave, and I'm sad they took that out.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kavak posted:

What was the totally insane stuff, again? AFAIK the only big concepts they took were Caesar's Legion and the area around Hoover Dam being in the game. One of the earlier drafts had the Chinese caricatures from Fallout 2 being nuked by the Enclave, and I'm sad they took that out.

the climax of Van Buren involved flying into space to the death ray satellite of the main bad guy evil scientist dude

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alouicious posted:

the climax of Van Buren involved flying into space to the death ray satellite of the main bad guy evil scientist dude

:lol:. I liked the idea the game had of the Vault Project experiments being meant for a space colonization mission, since it gives the whole thing an actual rationale instead of hundreds of billions of dollars' worth of shits-and-giggles , but that's a little much.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
From what I remember it's an orbital nuke launcher, the bad guy is going to nuke the whole wasteland and you have to choose two locations to get nuked in order to spare the rest. This idea was basically resurrected as well in a New Vegas DLC.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there was also something involving a ghoul scientist trying to create "born ghouls", as in ghouls who were never once human and later ghoulified by radiation and instead created pre-ghoulified.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

In Final Fantasy X just before you fight a boss monster attacking the airship, there's an item seller who will sell you restoratives. One of the characters asks why he's selling the items instead of giving them away as he'll die too if they lose. I thought it was nice comment on how that situation often arises in games.

Super mario rpg also had an interesting variation where the final armor shop in the game was from a thief who still charged you money, but right outside his room was a treasure box you could hit that gave literally infinite money. It gave it coin at a time however, so if you were short on cash to get the final armor for your party, you could easily get it without grinding, but you most likely weren't going to sit there hitting the chest about a thousand times to stock up on healing items, because anyone obsessed enough to do that most likely already had 999 coins when they got there.(I'm sure people did anyway).

Tengames has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Dec 14, 2014

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

EmmyOk posted:

And also because his people's home just got blown up, and they'll need the money to build a new one.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The design docs for Van Buren were leaked and they even released the playable demo of the engine's alpha, The Fallout WIki has a pretty good breakdown of everything.

I liked how they re-engineered VB Joshua Graham's concept of "a super-powerful companion that will cut off entire storylines due to backstory" into Boone. And I really liked how they brought back Graham himself as a redeemed monster of a man who isn't completely redeemed because of both his bloodthirsty nature AND the view that redemption is a process, not a goal.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

maou shoujo posted:

And also because his people's home just got blown up, and they'll need the money to build a new one.

Yeah, IIRC the exchange was along the lines of:

"Hey, why are you charging us at a time like this?!?"

"Because we'll need the money to start rebuilding when you win."

I thought it was clever.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

I liked how they re-engineered VB Joshua Graham's concept of "a super-powerful companion that will cut off entire storylines due to backstory" into Boone. And I really liked how they brought back Graham himself as a redeemed monster of a man who isn't completely redeemed because of both his bloodthirsty nature AND the view that redemption is a process, not a goal.

The crazy thing is that even after almost a decade of planning and tinkering they were still changing stuff up to the last minute. Like how Ulysses was supposed to be a companion but they cut it at the last minute, which is why you don't have a Legion-sympathetic party member in the final game and why he's on the playing cards from the collector's edition even though his DLC wouldn't come out until a year later.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
On the topic of FF, XIV is well-known for being chock-full of references to everything in the series, but I'm especially a fan of the slightly subtler stuff.

Also even something like chat filter settings have humorous touches.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of FFXIV, when you go to sleep in order to log off, a really calm sleepy version of the victory theme plays. :3:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I really love the music that plays in Bully when you're just walking around campus. Gets stuck in my head all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmqbIUa8RcA

If you get in detention enough times in that game, you get a black and white striped prisoner's outfit as a reward.
If you have Jimmy wear a silly outfit, everyone will laugh at him and he won't be able to kiss anyone.
There's a freak show at the carnival where you can bet on a midget wrestling match.
If you swim off to one of the islands near where the Prep hideout is, one of the greasers will be there in his pirate halloween costume. You can beat him up and get his outfit.
But of course, my favourite little thing in Bully is watching what happens after you spill a bunch of marbles at the entrance to the boy's dorm and pull the fire alarm.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of FFXIV, when you go to sleep in order to log off, a really calm sleepy version of the victory theme plays. :3:

You also get to watch your character curl up in bed before logging out. The lalafell animation for that is particularly adorable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bussamove posted:

You also get to watch your character curl up in bed before logging out. The lalafellMiqo'te animation for that is particularly adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_BJNrRruCE

But here's one of a Lalafell and the music too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQYwOi8AwGU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The Journal in FFXIV updates with each stage of any quest with a little description/summary, usually snide.

"Unfamiliar with the face of Eorzea's savior, the Brass Blades attempt to rearrange your heroic features with predictable results. Having demonstrated your primal-shaming capacity for violence, inquire of the remaining Blade if he is now willing to cooperate."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I recently replayed The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and I'm reminded how great this game is. One of my favourite touches is how the music changes in Lorule.

See, this is the music whenever you're walking around the world map of the "Dark World":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYc_Vosp9_Y

But after you've collected all the mcguffins, and are ostensibly on the path to the final dungeon to confront the big boss, this music replaces the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ZEYeanOW4

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona Q: I like the deranged little giggle Chie makes when she dodges an enemy attack.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

That's specifically Kinzie's "romance" scene. You rescue more people as the game goes on and they all have different ones.

I love how Gat interrupts the boss mid speech because he can't hold his emotions any longer :3:

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I thought that Dragon Age: Origin was an awful slog of a game but I loved that they justified having to buy items before the final battle by having the last store be run by a crippling autist who can barely speak let alone comprehend why charging money for things when a battle is raging around you is a bad idea.

An autist who somehow took out an entire squad of Darkspawn with nothing more than the power of 'enchantment!' Just try taking his stuff without paying.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Daktar posted:

An autist who somehow took out an entire squad of Darkspawn with nothing more than the power of 'enchantment!' Just try taking his stuff without paying.

We won't even get into what happens in 2 - "NOT Enchantment!" probably makes the kid more frightening than the prior "Enchantment!" jokes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

We won't even get into what happens in 2 - "NOT Enchantment!" probably makes the kid more frightening than the prior "Enchantment!" jokes.

I was really hoping that plot point was going to go anywhere other than nowhere but, whelp

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
a better question is how can a crippled autist can even become a merchant a run a shop

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Phobophilia posted:

a better question is how can a crippled autist can even become a merchant a run a shop
Ever heard of a game called Eve Online? Same principal.

So I'm playing through Metro 2033 Redux, having already beaten the original several times previously. I was expecting a nice graphical overhaul, which I got, but I was not expecting the actual level design to be significantly improved in several key areas. It was most noticeable in the FRONTLINE chapter. There were added paths around in the section where you have to avoid the turret vehicle, as well as more interesting stealth challenges in the latter part of the chapter.

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Dec 16, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Phobophilia posted:

Wasn't the shop itself run by his dad, and Sandal just did the enchanting?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't like Starcraft 2 as much as SC 1, and I like Heart of the Swarm MUCH less than Wings of Liberty because of how baffingly bad HotS' story is, but I have to give it credit for something I missed the first time.

Dehaka is a zerg who is supposed to be all about ~perfect form~ but he has vestigal limbs which are obviously counter to that; You can actually find one of his still bleeding limbs in a mission and he'll comment he can't figure out why his body hasn't yet replaced his damaged smaller arms with better ones.

e: Also in wings of Liberty there's a propaganda report about how Zerglings are allergic to lemon juice, meant to show how the Dominion is Totally In Control, Guys.

In Heart of the Swarm the Zerg in charge of genetic engineering makes an offhanded comment about how he needs to fix the Zerglings' lemon juice allergy. :haw:

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Dec 16, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Celery Face posted:

I really love the music that plays in Bully when you're just walking around campus. Gets stuck in my head all the time.

Hmm, I don't remember this music at all, I'll just click on the link and oh yeah that's not leaving my head for the next 3 months :neckbeard:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

I was really hoping that plot point was going to go anywhere other than nowhere but, whelp
dragonage2.txt

Cleretic posted:

Wasn't the shop itself run by his dad, and Sandal just did the enchanting?

Yeah, but I imagine he's not bad at doing the shop work either. You just can't haggle, this is the price that he was told and he won't give it away for anything less because he was told that was a bad thing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Jerusalem posted:

Hmm, I don't remember this music at all, I'll just click on the link and oh yeah that's not leaving my head for the next 3 months :neckbeard:

No kidding. I told myself I didn't remember Bully music, and then I watched the video and yep I remember Bully music.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Celery Face posted:

Just found the next song I'm learning on the bass.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I like how you get a sped up arrangement of the theme when you start riding a bicycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApI_ziF23c

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I'd get into fights with the preps just so I could hear their theme music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2qwkSgRtPw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My main problem with merchants in games is that they're not the merchant from RE4.