Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I don't think there's anything going on for black after white plays d3. c2 gets shut down by a2 and e1 is runed by c1 followed j1. Or maybe it's black to live and the trick is making seki by grabbing f1. Either way it's not too bad of a problem, but it would be cooler if it was under the stones for black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
(Note: I have a folder of random tsumego. When I transcribe tsumego there I change them to Black-to-play, but sometimes I mess that up. Also, I don't write answers down.)

Can't Black playing first live with any of E1, F1, or G1? What's your seki variation?

(EDIT: I didn't bother to read but maybe even C1 or J1 first is good enough.)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Xom posted:

EDIT: Help, I can't find what's supposed to be hard about this problem, no matter whose play it is; am I missing something?

Can't help you if you don't provide proposed solution!

Bats just did a good video on a couple of Go Seigen's best moments. Some of the reading is insane!

http://youtu.be/54iLsl1SErE

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

o.m. 94 posted:

Can't help you if you don't provide proposed solution!
Proposed solution for White-to-play: W c1 to kill
Proposed solution for Black-to-play: B e1, B f1, or B g1 (non-exhaustive) to live unconditionally

I posted because it seems too easy, and yet Hels says seki?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

When will Iyama Yuta ever win all seven titles at once?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Black to play. In the time I've spent thinking about this problem I've done 15 other intermediate ones.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

AdorableStar posted:

Black to play. In the time I've spent thinking about this problem I've done 15 other intermediate ones.

E18 looks kind of okay.. let me play it on the board when i get back.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Senor P. posted:

E18 looks kind of okay.. let me play it on the board when i get back.

E18 and D19 both seem to lead to ko as far as I can tell.

I feel like the actual answer is going to involve D18 and a sacrifice at E17 but I can't seem to make it work.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

E18 and D19 both seem to lead to ko as far as I can tell.

I feel like the actual answer is going to involve D18 and a sacrifice at E17 but I can't seem to make it work.

Found the variation. Guess I needed to sleep on it because trying the clamp and white 2 in response didn't work for me last night. Also, D18 will not work because white E18 is a stone solid response. Even if you did throw in at E17, white just gives up the two stones; it's life and death not endgame.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 7, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

Found the variation. Guess I needed to sleep on it because trying the clamp and white 2 in response didn't work for me last night. Also, D18 will not work because white E18 is a stone solid response. Even if you did throw in at E17, white just gives up the two stones; it's life and death not endgame.

This is the ko line. I'm just not sure that we can't do better. One reason I don't think this is the answer is because B1 and B3 seem to be interchangeable, whereas in most tsumego the order of moves matters.

I didn't say you throw in at E17 immediately after D18 btw. I was trying things like descending after D18 and keeping the throw-in in reserve if White tries to make an eye there. Like I said, though, I didn't find anything that quite works.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

This is the ko line. I'm just not sure that we can't do better. One reason I don't think this is the answer is because B1 and B3 seem to be interchangeable, whereas in most tsumego the order of moves matters.

I didn't say you throw in at E17 immediately after D18 btw. I was trying things like descending after D18 and keeping the throw-in in reserve if White tries to make an eye there. Like I said, though, I didn't find anything that quite works.

How do you kill if white E18 in response to D19 as a first move? It seems to me like white can get an eye at F17 or two in the corner by playing the 1-2 point (or c19 I guess) and cutting off your stone.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

xopods posted:

in most tsumego the order of moves matters.
I don't know exactly how tasuki's Cho collections were extracted, but definitely all bets are off. At least one (Elementary #218) even has no solution.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

I don't know exactly how tasuki's Cho collections were extracted, but definitely all bets are off. At least one (Elementary #218) even has no solution.

I think those are intentional; sometimes, in a real game, there is often no solution. :v:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

How do you kill if white E18 in response to D19 as a first move? It seems to me like white can get an eye at F17 or two in the corner by playing the 1-2 point (or c19 I guess) and cutting off your stone.

You may be right. I am very bad at tsumego. I mean, if you answer E18 with D18 to try to falsify the eye, then that actually reverts to what I was trying when you start with D18 and then sagari, which doesn't quite seem to work.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

New magnetic board with stones that you can almost barely hold properly.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Heads-up that I just requested to be added to the SA group on OGS (OGS name is my username)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Added!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Trying to teach my 21 month-old son to play. No handicap to start with, but he's playing like five stones per turn, which is going to make it tough. On the other hand, he's putting most of them on the first and second lines, so maybe it'll work out.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Trying to teach my 21 month-old son to play. No handicap to start with, but he's playing like five stones per turn, which is going to make it tough. On the other hand, he's putting most of them on the first and second lines, so maybe it'll work out.

Give him Yang Yilun's ingenious life and death volume 2 for Christmas. Trust me, he'll appreciate it more than clothes.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

Give him Yang Yilun's ingenious life and death volume 2 for Christmas. Trust me, he'll appreciate it more than clothes.

No joke, one of his favorite books right now is Monkey Jump Workshop. Not that he actually likes it read to him, but he likes the color pink and understands the title and finds it evocative, so he keeps getting it off the shelf and bringing it to me, going "monkey jump monkey jump monkey jump."

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

No joke, one of his favorite books right now is Monkey Jump Workshop. Not that he actually likes it read to him, but he likes the color pink and understands the title and finds it evocative, so he keeps getting it off the shelf and bringing it to me, going "monkey jump monkey jump monkey jump."

501 tesuji is a good bedtime story. It's pink too. :getin:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Thank you guys for helping teach a rank beginner for a little bit today. I feel daunted by how much I just don't know, especially since the people around me won't even play with me because I'm so much better than them. And I can't be more than 25kyu, if that high! The difference even the tiniest bit of skill seems to make is incredible in this game...

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
"Monkey Jump" is the best baduk term.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Iunnrais posted:

Thank you guys for helping teach a rank beginner for a little bit today. I feel daunted by how much I just don't know, especially since the people around me won't even play with me because I'm so much better than them. And I can't be more than 25kyu, if that high! The difference even the tiniest bit of skill seems to make is incredible in this game...

One of the best things about Go is at every rank you'll learn something that completely shifts your perspective on the game. Anyway, it can be hard to get KGS games initially at 20+, but make sure you get automatch on, be patient, and soon your rank will settle and getting games will take no more than 2 mins tops.

Also get goons to review, they're a friendly bunch

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I started playing on OGS because it was easier to get bot games than in KGS; would y'all recommend I switch over to KGS? It seems like more of you play there.

Also, could I get access to ITGO?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

"Monkey Jump" is the best baduk term.

HAENGMA

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

How would I go about getting a review of a game I just played on OGS? It was my first game where I wasn't just completely destroyed, so I'm pretty proud of that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

giogadi posted:

How would I go about getting a review of a game I just played on OGS? It was my first game where I wasn't just completely destroyed, so I'm pretty proud of that.
1) Upload it to KGS and ask in itgo or the teaching ladder.
2) Upload it to eidogo and ask here.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
I think I'll play some Go again. Care to add me to the OGS group? My username is cerror

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

http://en.chessbase.com/post/magnus-carlsen-on-his-che-career posted:

Carlsen: Of course it is important for a chess player to be able to concentrate well, but being too intelligent can also be a burden. It can get in your way. I am convinced that the reason the Englishman John Nunn never became world champion is that he is too clever for that.

Carlsen: At the age of 15, Nunn started studying mathematics in Oxford; he was the youngest student in the last 500 years, and at 23 he did a PhD in algebraic topology. He has so incredibly much in his head. Simply too much. His enormous powers of understanding and his constant thirst for knowledge distracted him from chess.

SPIEGEL: Things are different in your case?

Carlsen: Right. I am a totally normal guy.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
have any of you done 'malkovitch' games? i'm thinking of trying one but am not sure how much i'll get out of it since most of my moves are made because 'it looks like a goodish spot'

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

uranus posted:

have any of you done 'malkovitch' games? i'm thinking of trying one but am not sure how much i'll get out of it since most of my moves are made because 'it looks like a goodish spot'

In a game I did against Oiseaux a few months ago I made a few malkovich journal entries when I was planning something.

It didn't work out, so the journal entry just makes me look kinda dumb.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

giogadi posted:

Just post a link to the game, its web based so if you find it in your history and post the URL we'll review it

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

uranus posted:

Go for it! You must also remember that, at least in the opening, 'it looks like a goodish spot' is not bad, its what Dan players think too.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

comaerror posted:

I think I'll play some Go again. Care to add me to the OGS group? My username is cerror

I didn't see the notification, so presumably you're in. Let me know if not

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

uranus posted:

I did one with prodigious, let me dig it up

Starts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2891609&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post392455830

I enjoyed this game, should do it again sometime.

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 14, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
This month's bargain books haul ($4.25):

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Where did you get these?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
How is Vital Points of Go? I don't have that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AdorableStar posted:

Where did you get these?
A local recurring used book sale.

Borachon posted:

How is Vital Points of Go? I don't have that one.
I just got it so I haven't really read it yet but David Carlton doesn't seem to like it; also:

Robert Jasiek @ rec.games.go posted:

It would be interesting to see what a high level translator like John Power or James Davies could do with 'Vital points'.
Speaking of which, Go Proverbs Illustrated, which I got last month, is pretty sweet.