Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone sell me on the Dungeon World books? I'm particularly interested if the new classes are any good.

The Metzger adventures are good, Dungeon Planet and Class Warfare are okay. His player content isn't particularly great, but it's not terrible either. If you're looking for really good new classes, go get the Initiate, the Gladiator and the goon-made Slayer (not the Grim World one) instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The Dashing Hero will always be my favorite Dungeon World class.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I very nearly pulled the trigger on the Runequest bundle before realizing that it's not Glorantha.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If nothing else, the DW bundle is worth getting for the three modules in the base package. Jonstone Metzger does really good, well-written adventures that hit a good balance of structure for the GM and open-endedness for the players.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Latest Bundle of Holding is "Over the Edge".

Core for $5.95, threshold is currently $16.28.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

inklesspen posted:

Latest Bundle of Holding is "Over the Edge".

Core for $5.95, threshold is currently $16.28.

If I like alternate history/conspiracy settings, would that be up my alley? Generally I like most of the stuff Kenneth Hite puts out.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

If I like alternate history/conspiracy settings, would that be up my alley? Generally I like most of the stuff Kenneth Hite puts out.

Yes. Just, yes. Over the Edge is about multiple alternate histories all competing to be the most conspiraciest.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Tendales posted:

Yes. Just, yes. Over the Edge is about multiple alternate histories all competing to be the most conspiraciest.

Awesome, thanks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BoH has a big Mutants & Masterminds 2e bundle up now, too.

Apparently they're going to be running multiple bundles like this until the end of the year, then start doing two bundles at a time from now on.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is 2e the good one?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

2e is decent and has a lot of support, it can also be a bit easier to grasp for people just coming from D&D, which means it's got a lot of holdover issues from third edition D&D in it. That said, it's much better than the first edition and still worth using.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

M&M 2e is really solid; 3e is probably marginally better, but backslides to 1e and makes aspects of character generation more confusing, bafflingly.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'd really recommend looking at other super systems, myself. Wild Talents, for example. I found M&M (3E, admittedly) confusing, arbitrarily limiting, and really frustrating overall. And although it didn't commit some of the D&Disms I'd half expected considering its roots in D20, I still felt like D20 is a bad fit for supers.

But I know a lot of people love it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
M&M 2e is really good. (3e, as mentioned, backslid), but 2e still can't handle mega-powerful heroes (Champions for all its flaws still is the best at that).

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Are any of the games over at Epimas any good? I'm a little curious.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I own Human Contact (in the Future bundle). I think it's good. But I've not gotten to play it yet.

I also backed Full Moon on kickstarter, back in the days when I thought FATE was good for any genre. IIRC, it's pre-Fate Core.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yup. Despite dramatic delays, definitely pre-Fate Core.

I have heard good things about Polaris, Swords Without Master, Misspent Youth, and Spark RPG, as well. And actually, kill puppies for satan. Although I'm still not entirely sure the latter is seriously meant to be played.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 14, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Huh! I didn't scroll down, so I only saw the three bundles. Polaris is good, yeah. I follow the designer of Sexy Time Adventures on Tumblr; I haven't seen the final work, but it seems like it's suitable for making fun of all that improbable fantasy armor.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Fabled Environments is holding a couple of bundle sales. First off is a bundle of four Savage Worlds modules. Normally, they'd be about $17.50 (or $14 right now, since a couple are already on sale), but they're being old for nine bucks. FE makes some pretty nice maps, and the adventure are pretty good. Disclaimer, I wrote Cake Walk. But even if you don't trust my writing, it also contains some awesome papercraft vehicles made by Jordan Peacock (of Savage Worlds Delue, Wonderland No More, and Slip Stream fame).

They also have a larger bundle that includes all of their maps.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

M&M 2e is really good. (3e, as mentioned, backslid), but 2e still can't handle mega-powerful heroes (Champions for all its flaws still is the best at that).

Oddly enough, I only played 1st and 3rd edition M&M. So for me, 3rd is a lot better than 1st. Edition comparisons aside, I think it's a fun game, but it's definitely crunchier than Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and as you wrote, maybe not the best at scaling up extremely powerful supers. Still enjoyable in my opinion.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Alien Rope Burn posted:

M&M 2e is really solid; 3e is probably marginally better, but backslides to 1e and makes aspects of character generation more confusing, bafflingly.

What aspects are you specifically talking about? If it's power generation, I think the Power Profiles book helps deal with that. (Sorry if this is making GBS threads on the Deals thread, we can take this to the chat thread if you want)

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 15, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

For someone new to M&M in general, is 2e a better place to start than 3e?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

TurninTrix posted:

Well, you get a lot more 2E for your buck right at the moment!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The old Pendragon bundle is up if you missed it last time.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Pendragon bundle, you say? I have a feeling I will be making an impulse buy when I get home from work tonight....

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 16, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TurninTrix posted:

I wouldn't say there's an appreciable difference in difficulty. 2e has a less complicated attribute system, 3e has a clearer power system.

I'm a bit surprised by people saying that M&M doesn't handle large-scale stuff; 3e doesn't well, but that's basically because they nerfed area effects (which were logarithmic in 2e, but are closer to linear in 3e) and a few other powers to be a little less broken, but that's easily adjusted if you know the system. It's not quite DC Heroes in terms of crazy scaling, but it's easy to build a mountain-tosser on the default number of points.

Lightning Lord posted:

What aspects are you specifically talking about? If it's power generation, I think the Power Profiles book helps deal with that. (Sorry if this is making GBS threads on the Deals thread, we can take this to the chat thread if you want)

Mostly that in 2e, three attributes were tied to defenses, much like d20 (Reflexes = Dexterity, Fortitude = Constitution, Will = Wisdom), but attack and defense were no longer tied to Strength / Dexterity. But in 3e, they instead tied all defenses and attacks to attributes (Dodge = Agility, Ranged Attack = Dexterity, Parry = Fighting, Melee Attack = Fighting, Fortitude = Stamina, Will = Wisdom), making things more complicated to track and balance. They also cemented the ranged / melee divide for some reason, meaning characters that focus on one or the other get significantly more points to play with... despite the fact it doesn't represent comics that well. After all, Green Arrow is a pretty badass hand to hand combatant, and Hulk doesn't whiff all the time when he's throwing cars or rocks.

Power Profiles has a lot of great power ideas but also falls down in terms of mechanics occasionally (like having an entirely different cost for a power from the corebook without explanation, for example).

Quite a bit is better in 3e (how they handle non-damaging attacks or autofire are way better, for starters), but it wasn't nearly as progressive as I think it should have been.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Amazon has a big old board game sale along with Fiasco and Fate Core.

I've been curious about Dixit, but I heard Dixit Journeys is the same thing but better, so I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on that one.

demota fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 16, 2014

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Worlds Without Master is doing something called Epimas, with a bunch of bundles of smaller games for $10 each, 25% off if you buy more than one, 50% off if you buy everything, which is only $45. It seems like a good deal, and I'm probably going to pick up at least two, maybe more.

What are the best bundles? I'm eyeing Naughty List and Cold Polar Nights because I'm curious about Polaris and kill puppies for satan, are there any other standouts?

My roommate keeps wanting two player games, has anyone played Adventurer and Troll from the Dreaming of a Red Epimas bundle?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Polaris is great and I will never get to play it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Same here. :(

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

demota posted:

Amazon has a big old board game sale along with Fiasco and Fate Core.

I've been curious about Dixit, but I heard Dixit Journeys is the same thing but better, so I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on that one.

Oh man, a Munchkin messenger bag! And it's only 43 dollars!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Saying this upfront, this is self-promotion of my company.

From now until New Year's Day I'm having a Christmas Sale on Drive-Thru RPG. If you're a fan of Pathfinder or OSR sourcebooks (or both!), then you'll probably find my selected works of interest.

Everything's half off at very affordable prices ($2-$3), including my books from the Game Writing Workshop thread.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Libertad! posted:

Saying this upfront, this is self-promotion of my company.

From now until New Year's Day I'm having a Christmas Sale on Drive-Thru RPG. If you're a fan of Pathfinder or OSR sourcebooks (or both!), then you'll probably find my selected works of interest.

Everything's half off at very affordable prices ($2-$3), including my books from the Game Writing Workshop thread.

I have never played Pathfinder and I don't know if I ever will, but a supplement called Nice Things for Fighters is loving brilliant and I was instantly sold

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You should play pathfinder. It's the best system Dreamscarred Press products have been released for.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have never played Pathfinder and I don't know if I ever will, but a supplement called Nice Things for Fighters is loving brilliant and I was instantly sold

If you do play Pathfinder, then I recommend finding a GM open-minded enough about the system's flaws. Say what you will about min-maxers, at least they're very aware of how overpowered spellcasters can be. In all my time at Min-Max Boards I never once saw a non-troll who argued that Fighters were on par with Wizards (an argument which is much more common on other 3.X message boards).

You'll have a much more fun time with an MMer who knows when to reign it in, than a GM who's a 'realism advocate" and is far too worried about 'overpowered' martials dominating the game.

I also agree with PresidentBeard's above comment; DreamScarred's a very good company whose knack for game design is pretty much unparalleled in the 3rd Party fandom.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 17, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just be aware that if you go into Pathfinder expecting anything other than 3.5 with a few of the smaller rough edges filed down, you'll end up disappointed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It also has better support for the parts of 3.5 that worked (Tome of Battle, Binders, bard-level casters) unfortunately most of that is 3rd party.

Also I second what Libertad! said. If your GM in some way looks down on optimizers or says that fighters are on par with wizards he's probably a bad GM refusing the acknowledge the system's flaws. This leads to him making an unfun unbalanced game. The only thing worse are the guys that argue wizards should be better than fighters. I'd actually recommend banning all tier 1 and 2 classes (wizard, sorcerer, cleric, arcanist, oracle, druid, summoner) due to how story breaking they are.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice, guys. I did take a look at the Path of War classes and those look mighty interesting as well. Anyway if it ever came down to it I'd probably do the DMing myself (have never actually been a TRPG player yet) so I'll try to keep all of that in mind.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Everyone should get that Pendragon bundle just to read the incredible piece of work that is the Great Pendragon Campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Swagger Dagger posted:

Everyone should get that Pendragon bundle just to read the incredible piece of work that is the Great Pendragon Campaign.

It is awesome, but may end up with your players killing Merlin and stealing Excalibur......