Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Two for you this time, since the thread has dug up some of the most esoteric poo poo I can think of armed with only the vaguest of instructions.
Both C64 games. The first one should be the easiest, I think it was a sequel to a similar game. You controlled a tennis ball bouncing around from a top down perspective, and the gameplay was mostly centered around avoiding stuff like lava or enemies.

The second one was a spaceship game, also from a top-down perspective. I remember the awesome title screen music. The gameplay mostly consisted of shooting down turrets of different kinds. I think one of them was a cross that fired homing shots, as well as waves of enemies. Not much to go on, I know, but I know it was similar to Lightforce.

The second one sounds kind of like The Dreadnaught Factor, but I don't think it ever came out on C64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

The second one was a spaceship game, also from a top-down perspective. I remember the awesome title screen music. The gameplay mostly consisted of shooting down turrets of different kinds. I think one of them was a cross that fired homing shots, as well as waves of enemies. Not much to go on, I know, but I know it was similar to Lightforce.

Uridium?

E: Possibly closer to Bulldog, actually.

pinacotheca fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 26, 2014

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pinacotheca posted:

Uridium?

E: Possibly closer to Bulldog, actually.

Bulldog it is. You people amaze me.

Music by Ben Daglish, by the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj2n-xTtjYM

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 26, 2014

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

A PC RTS I remember from a demo disc, late 90's early 00's. You could give your units AI commands, the one I recall being either seek and destroy or hunter-killer or something like that. Also, the demo had a part obviously from the tutorial, where it showed infantry able to climb the steepest slopes, treads less steep, wheels less than that, and hovercraft couldn't at all, but they (and maybe infantry) could move over water. May have had customizable units. Though I may be remembering 3 different games that were all on the same disc.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Unreal_One posted:

A PC RTS I remember from a demo disc, late 90's early 00's. You could give your units AI commands, the one I recall being either seek and destroy or hunter-killer or something like that. Also, the demo had a part obviously from the tutorial, where it showed infantry able to climb the steepest slopes, treads less steep, wheels less than that, and hovercraft couldn't at all, but they (and maybe infantry) could move over water. May have had customizable units. Though I may be remembering 3 different games that were all on the same disc.
I believe Dark Reign may fit the bill.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Got it in one. God, does it look older than I remember, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

It's the sort of thing I could probably google for if it wasn't the middle of the night and all that. Sorry in advance.

A DOS shareware game of the 90s, you controlled a sphere on a flat surface (2d, sprite-based graphics) and collected items and avoided enemies to get to the end of each level. One of the early levels, when viewed through the overhead map, spelled out the name ASTRID in all caps.

I'm quoting myself because I really want to play this thing again. Maybe some more info would help. The sphere you controlled was lavender, with darker spots like a soccer ball. The platforms you went around on were beige and, IIRC, had candy cane borders along the edges. Parallax scrolling was used to make it look like the platforms were high above the background "surface." The view was entirely from overhead.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Allen Wren posted:

I'm quoting myself because I really want to play this thing again. Maybe some more info would help. The sphere you controlled was lavender, with darker spots like a soccer ball. The platforms you went around on were beige and, IIRC, had candy cane borders along the edges. Parallax scrolling was used to make it look like the platforms were high above the background "surface." The view was entirely from overhead.
Rollin?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In one, thank you.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
An old game. I think pre-1995, but not sure. Absolutely before 2000. DOS.

Top-view gameplay, kinda like Rollin. You had different balls you could play as. The bowling ball was heavy, durable and slow to accelerate. The beach ball would be quick, but fragile. Different balls would bounce differently.

I think there may have been puzzle elements to it, but it was a pretty actiony game, really.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Very vague on this one - A 3D shooter from the mid nineties. Definitely pre-Doom. I downloaded the thing from Lord Soth's Games, so that might place the year. I remember it looked a lot like the wolf3d engine except the ceilings seemed much higher and the whole thing was very brown. The enemies were mostly human and the graphics were absolute garbage. I think the first level was supposed to be a cave? The thing I remember the most was its music - it played the entire time and was extremely depressing. It's not Catacombs, but along those lines in VGA with much worse graphics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

Very vague on this one - A 3D shooter from the mid nineties. Definitely pre-Doom. I downloaded the thing from Lord Soth's Games, so that might place the year. I remember it looked a lot like the wolf3d engine except the ceilings seemed much higher and the whole thing was very brown. The enemies were mostly human and the graphics were absolute garbage. I think the first level was supposed to be a cave? The thing I remember the most was its music - it played the entire time and was extremely depressing. It's not Catacombs, but along those lines in VGA with much worse graphics.

Maybe Nitemare 3D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjmAPbxC-iE

The music fits at least.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I'm trying to remember an MS-DOS game from around 94' where you sent monsters into an isometric arena, and there was a shuma gorath looking thing which was my favorite. I seem to remember a loading screen being an triangle with an eye in the center of it.

This is from literally two decades ago, and I was 6 at the time, so I might have most of the details wrong.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

pussy riot police posted:

I'm trying to remember an MS-DOS game from around 94' where you sent monsters into an isometric arena, and there was a shuma gorath looking thing which was my favorite. I seem to remember a loading screen being an triangle with an eye in the center of it.

This is from literally two decades ago, and I was 6 at the time, so I might have most of the details wrong.

Monster Battles?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRyxhgriXo

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Pretty sure it had better graphics than that.

Like I think I was playing it concurrently with Dominus

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

pussy riot police posted:

It's not isometric, but the first "monster arena fights" game from that era that came to mind was Champions of Zulula.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

MMAgCh posted:

It's not isometric, but the first "monster arena fights" game from that era that came to mind was Champions of Zulula.

Okay, pretty sure that was it, and I was misremembering a lot of things. Thanks!

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Yeah, the elite edition was the game

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe Nitemare 3D?

The music fits at least.

Which hilariously came out the year after doom.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
This one is more a where is it than what is it, but

It was a game called like, Stalin's Five Year Plan or something? It was a simple indie game where you did stuff like buy workers, get resources then you can use that to mechanize your farming. No graphics it was all words and charts and such.

Not sure if this is right but, can anyone help?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Pneub posted:

Which hilariously came out the year after doom.
I don't know, wasn't it just made by the one guy or at least a small handful of people, as opposed to the relatively huge teams that made both Wolf and Doom? I'd say it was relatively well done in that respect.

Rather play that than Quiver. It's a game with brown, also lovely graphics. Released FOUR years after Doom.

Barf

And I think I got stuck in level 1 because it was terribly designed and I had no idea where to go.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe Nitemare 3D?

The music fits at least.

With a half decent sound card, it sounded like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eynNGHWR3w
Game me the willies back in the day, along with the face in the lower sections slowly melting away to a skeleton as you took damage.

Corridor 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ICP-4c23CA also came out shortly after doom, I believe.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 28, 2014

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I thought about this game a couple times recently and can't remember what it was called.
It's a 2d game probably 10-15yrs old.
A WW2 real time strategy (definitely NOT any red alert game) where you set up units pre fight, there wasn't army building to my memory, more of a set force type deal, focusing on strategy. I remember there being infantry that could hunker down but not much more than that on specific units.
I don't remember any aircraft, but there were definitely tanks and half tracks as options.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Spiteski posted:

I thought about this game a couple times recently and can't remember what it was called.
It's a 2d game probably 10-15yrs old.
A WW2 real time strategy (definitely NOT any red alert game) where you set up units pre fight, there wasn't army building to my memory, more of a set force type deal, focusing on strategy. I remember there being infantry that could hunker down but not much more than that on specific units.
I don't remember any aircraft, but there were definitely tanks and half tracks as options.

One of the close combat series?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Desert Rats vs. Afrika Korps seems like it might also fit the bill.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Bondematt posted:

One of the close combat series?

That sounded familiar so I had a quick look and it is 100% "A Bridge Too Far" from that series. Looks like I was a few years out though, can't believe that game is almost 17 years old.
Thanks for that.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
What are those games that have an art style that make the characters look like Dragon Ball Z characters?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Grump posted:

What are those games that have an art style that make the characters look like Dragon Ball Z characters?

Dragon Quest?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
yup. Thanks!

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
SNES Afficianados: What's that one possibly-Japanese game where you drive around as a red or blue car....and you had a "dash-tackle" attack? You basically ram into other cars from a top-down Schmup-like perspective. I believe the first boss on the first level was two 18-wheeler trucks.

Thanks in advance.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MoaM posted:

SNES Afficianados: What's that one possibly-Japanese game where you drive around as a red or blue car....and you had a "dash-tackle" attack? You basically ram into other cars from a top-down Schmup-like perspective. I believe the first boss on the first level was two 18-wheeler trucks.

Thanks in advance.
Gekitotsu Dangan Jidōsha Kessen: Battle Mobile

http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/gekitotsu-dangan-jidsha-kessen-battle-mobile

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
I've been trying to remember this game for ages, it was a JRPG on SNES or possibly another console from around that era. Battles were in a side view, and the overworld was floating continents that you went between with an airship. For whatever reason, the most specific thing I can remember from the game is a line from a cutscene that said "the steam engine was reinvented" after some kind of apocalypse or something. I also think the farthest part I got up to was like a crystal forest I think?

I played it at a friend's house one time when I was a kid and every once in awhile I remember it and it bugs me. Sorry it's so vague, but hopefully someone out there recognizes it.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ergonomix posted:

I've been trying to remember this game for ages, it was a JRPG on SNES or possibly another console from around that era. Battles were in a side view, and the overworld was floating continents that you went between with an airship. For whatever reason, the most specific thing I can remember from the game is a line from a cutscene that said "the steam engine was reinvented" after some kind of apocalypse or something. I also think the farthest part I got up to was like a crystal forest I think?

I played it at a friend's house one time when I was a kid and every once in awhile I remember it and it bugs me. Sorry it's so vague, but hopefully someone out there recognizes it.

Bahamut lagoon sounds vaguelly like that.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Ergonomix posted:

Possibly Tales of Phantasia, but I don't think theres an airship in that.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

Possibly Tales of Phantasia, but I don't think theres an airship in that.

There was a means of flying in ToP, but quite far in. You can see them in the intro though. Kinda air scooters or something.

Yeah, this could be quite the amalgam.

The steam engine line reminds me of FF6 opening, maybe with a dash of Terranigma. No airship in Terranigma that I can remember though.
The floating continents as the main setting is Bahamut Lagoon. Full stop. It was more of a strategy game though.
Side battles are Actraiser or ToP. (Unless you mean FF6-style battles, which is kinda like a side view. In which case things widen a fair bit.)
Secret of Mana had a crystal/ice forest, nothing else fitting though.
Chrono Trigger had an airship and a floating continent too.

All of the above are SNES RPG games.

Was it action RPG? Strategy RPG? RPG RPG? CCCP RPG?

EDIT: Not bahamut lagoon if you played it on a real snes. It is only a fan translation.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 14, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"The steam engine was reinvented" cutscene sort of points to Terranigma, but that was top down and it didn't really feature floating continents.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

"The steam engine was reinvented" cutscene sort of points to Terranigma, but that was top down and it didn't really feature floating continents.

On the other hand, the starting area is pretty bizarre and has crystals up the wazoo.

I don't recall steam engines specifically getting a mention in Terranigma, though. Tech goes straight from medieval knights to airplanes and massive iron fortresses.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Well poo poo, I just looked up the FF6 intro and I think the steam engine thing is definitely from that, which is weird because I've played it recently but just didn't notice I guess.

I think we must have played a couple different RPGs that one time though because parts of Terranigma look familiar, too. :shrug:

Anyway, thanks for helping. :)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Depends on your region. Are you in Europe or America? If you aren't in the EU, you didn't play Terranigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The White Dragon posted:

Depends on your region. Are you in Europe or America? If you aren't in the EU, you didn't play Terranigma.

That's probably not strictly true. I live on the east coast of the US and played Terranigma. But that was only because one of my friends was that guy everyone had in their neighborhood that seemed to own every video game and system known to man growing up. At the time I had no idea that there were different games for different regions, just that he had all kinds of games I had never seen in the gaming magazines of the day. I'd love to know where he got all his imports back then.