Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Ddraig posted:

Dark Souls is good but the 'git good scrub' stuff is pretty obnoxious. There are plenty of obnoxious, stupid things that no amount of prep can really prepare you for. Like those assholes with the blowpipes in Blighttown. If you don't know about them, you will die, and you will probably not figure out why for quite some time.

yeah they kinda forget that although the challenges are fair as in, you have a reasonable chance of surviving each individual event first time and they are all about knowing what to do, the first time especially in your first souls game you will die a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dark Souls has a lot of really good "Well, I should have expected that, I guess that was entirely my fault" stuff like with the Taurus Demon. Most people will have the bright idea of climbing up and throwing stuff down at it, which works for a bit, then it will loving jump up and house you. It also has a ton of bullshit like the Capra Demon where you're likely to get murdered or stunlocked within seconds of entering the fog because there's no buffer at all, and even when you know what to do it will still give you problems because of the unpredictable nature of things.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Ddraig posted:

Dark Souls has a lot of really good "Well, I should have expected that, I guess that was entirely my fault" stuff like with the Taurus Demon. Most people will have the bright idea of climbing up and throwing stuff down at it, which works for a bit, then it will loving jump up and house you. It also has a ton of bullshit like the Capra Demon where you're likely to get murdered or stunlocked within seconds of entering the fog because there's no buffer at all, and even when you know what to do it will still give you problems because of the unpredictable nature of things.

the archers in anor londo are the biggest example until you work out you can just push the dickhead off the side

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I think the archers are bullshit, but it's fairly easy to rush up the stairs or at the very least dodge the Capra Demon's first attack.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hog Inspector posted:

fear was fun but i wish it had been scary too. the only atmosphere i remember was 'office building at night'

The Fear demo was scarier than the actual game. I remember my friends and I freaking the gently caress out over that demo.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Stux posted:

its average

Most recent FPS titles have awful singleplayer. Average feels great compared to those.

The Kins posted:

I took a long time to bother trying Dark Souls 1 because the fanbase around it really turned me off. Same thing with Everything Platinum Games Does.

You barely have to interact with the playerbase. It's a mostly singleplayer game, although on PC you will need someone to tell you to get the fan fixes.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

best part of dark souls multiplayer is that people can only communicate through gestures

it's actually fun to play with strangers!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Ekster posted:

best part of dark souls multiplayer is that people can only communicate through gestures

it's actually fun to play with strangers!

yeah it really is

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
assassin's creed unity is so disappointing. rented it and wow

a) multiplayer is garbage, how you gonna coordinate that poo poo
b) the running and such that worked perfectly in 2 and got ruined in 3 has been ruined even further

otherwise there's lots of cool set pieces and as a whole i like arno cause he is a garbage rear end in a top hat with a vendetta. this game is deffo not for everyone.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Assassin's Creed at its absolute best is barely worth playing so who cares

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i respect your opinion but i really like video games and throughly enjoy building climbing and dude murdering in ancient settings

feel free to disagree though it has never been the cutting edge of fun

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

hubris.height posted:

b) the running and such that worked perfectly in 2 and got ruined in 3 has been ruined even further

otherwise there's lots of cool set pieces and as a whole i like arno cause he is a garbage rear end in a top hat with a vendetta. this game is deffo not for everyone.

apparently rogue is better than unity as it isnt based off the new even more hosed engine.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

every year i decide between a calendar and assassins creed. the calendar has never let me down

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's cool that games like Assassin's Creed with really good graphics and high production values exist, but after 10 hours of any given AC game you kind of get your fill of everything it has to offer and that's about all you're gonna get for the next 30-40 it takes to finish the main storyline. The gameplay is definitely in need of a revamp RE4 revolution style.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

It's cool that games like Assassin's Creed with really good graphics and high production values exist, but after 10 hours of any given AC game you kind of get your fill of everything it has to offer and that's about all you're gonna get for the next 30-40 it takes to finish the main storyline. The gameplay is definitely in need of a revamp RE4 revolution style.

its funny that you are saying unity has high production values

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Hog Inspector posted:

every year i decide between a calendar and assassins creed. the calendar has never let me down

lol

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I played AC2, Assbro and Revelations and they were pretty great.
But I don't really have any desire to play any more of them. Maybe if they set it someplace cool like ancient Egypt or China or something.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

hubris.height posted:

assassin's creed is deffo not for anyone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got brotherhood in a sale or something because everyone said asscred was pretty good, I played it and it was OK but it got kinda boring after a bit and the plot was kinda stupid and I kept going back to the future or something and talking to some nerds or something and then there was this dumb bit where I got stuck with a weird gold apple that made people go mad so I guess that combat system wasn't very important and I didn't finish it because I got bored.

Dunno what the fuss is about?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I got brotherhood in a sale or something because everyone said asscred was pretty good, I played it and it was OK but it got kinda boring after a bit and the plot was kinda stupid and I kept going back to the future or something and talking to some nerds or something and then there was this dumb bit where I got stuck with a weird gold apple that made people go mad so I guess that combat system wasn't very important and I didn't finish it because I got bored.

You get to run around in renaissance Italy climbing buildings, seeing the sights and stabbing people in the throat. What's not to like?
I mean, sure, the future bits suck a fat one but every good game apparently has to have some poo poo tacked on to prevent it from being too fun.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

OwlFancier posted:

Adam Bowen posted:

Assassin's Creed at its absolute best is barely worth playing so who cares

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I bought Dungeon Keeper 2 for like 2 bucks and it is really awesome. I love sending hordes of goblins to shank people.

And it has a really great intro that just gets you pumped to keep dungeons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SZlJfg7LmE

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 14, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mymla posted:

You get to run around in renaissance Italy climbing buildings, seeing the sights and stabbing people in the throat. What's not to like?
I mean, sure, the future bits suck a fat one but every good game apparently has to have some poo poo tacked on to prevent it from being too fun.

You do and the procedural platforming thing is nice, if a bit... mechanical after a while, it's not very difficult and I don't find it super interesting either. The combat system is OK but very very samey, you don't have a lot of moves and fighting people again isn't all that difficult, nor is it generally the point of the game most of the time.

Actually I don't remember the game having much gameplay in general, I spent most of the time either watching a cutscene, walking and listening to plot being exposited, or wandering around trying to find something to do.

It's easy to the point of being unengaging, plot heavy to the point it gets in the way of playing it, it handholds you to the point of largely killing any sense of exploration, and suffers from a severe lack of variety in both combat and platforming because there aren't many enemy types and the platforming is all basically the same thing, just done lots and lots of times, you push the stick towards the next thingy and press the button to move to it.

Just doesn't grab me at all, would rather play Half Life if I want an action/platformy combat game with a sense of exploration and cool setting.

Stux posted:

that sounds great and all but the shooting just didn't gel with me and i found it just a bit dull. having ridiculous guns doesn't mean it still wouldn't have been dull for me sorry :(

Try the 2009 wolfenstein it's much better, you get magic powers and about 2/3rds of the guns are more or less straight out of unreal tournament/quake.

Buck Turgidson posted:

I bought Dungeon Keeper 2 for like 2 bucks and it is really awesome. I love sending hordes of goblins to shank people.

And it has a really great intro to that just gets you pumped to keep dungeons:

Dungeon Keeper 2 is the absolute poo poo, one of the most fun games I ever played.

I'm pretty excited for War for the Overworld but it's probably worth waiting to see what it's like when it's done rather than EAing it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
One of the few things I've ever done early access was war for the overworld.

right now it is shaping up pretty well but no where near done.

Multiplayer has issues as in I've never gotten it to work.

But it fixed a lot of issues with dungeon keeper II. If you destroy terrain you can refill the squares with traps that you click when you are ready to use them. You have flags that stop workers from going forward but those can only be placed on your own land so water kinda screws this.

They don't have some of the charm like gambling or jack pot winners or random voice overs at you insulting or complimenting you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Also they post every wednesday of what they are working on, but don't patch every wednesday.

https://wftogame.com/wfto-wednesday-101/

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i really like brotherhood and revelations a lot but they are mostly hated by everyone i don't know why i like them so much, but the tower defense thing and the bomb crafting was a blast

i really hated 3 and i'm an rear end creed fan boy

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

And it has a really great intro that just gets you pumped to keep dungeons:

I love the early 2000s era of blocky polygonal intro animations. Every pc game had one and they're all still fun to watch.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqtDuvndBLw
:eyepop: So realistic! So lifelike!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The best being https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rS_n3JVTPE

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hubris.height posted:

don't forget that it does the lovely f2p IAP thing where it has multiple currencies and you can spend IRL money to buy "Helix Credits"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
oh yeah those nomad chests are total loving bull poo poo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What do people use nowadays for recording video on PC, is Fraps still the king of that particular mountain

I've tried Shadowplay but it didn't seem to recognize Hearthstone :(

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
fraps hasn't really adapted with the world of technology and a lot of programs used for streaming can also capture in high quality to disc instead. fraps is great for capturing exactly what you see but you're still going to get giant files that you need to encode and edit and all that before they are share-able

try ffsplit, i like it and its free. other people have recommended dxtroy cause it can capture you mic with the game as separate channels and save you work later

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ciaphas posted:

What do people use nowadays for recording video on PC, is Fraps still the king of that particular mountain

I've tried Shadowplay but it didn't seem to recognize Hearthstone :(

If you play Hearthstone windowed you have to tell Geforce Experience to record your desktop, not an app.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I like the idea of a video game set in a historic time. But Ubisoft fucks it up every time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ularg posted:

I like the idea of a video game set in a historic time. But Ubisoft fucks it up every time.

they do it in a way where you learn nothing about the time period at all too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

they do it in a way where you learn nothing about the time period at all too.
i have legitimately learned more from dynasty warriors

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I was bored at work and poking around and looking at old games basically at the height of the PSX/N64/Saturn days. When I think about it, during that era, I played a lot of really weird games. What are some of the weirdest (good) games you guys have played?

Some at the top of my list are Chameleon Twist and Seaman.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Endorph posted:

i have legitimately learned more from dynasty warriors

I got to skip out on a class in elementary because I convinced my principle that playing Age of Empires instead was a better learning experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ularg posted:

I got to skip out on a class in elementary because I convinced my principle that playing Age of Empires instead was a better learning experience.
that's some Next Level Gaming

• Locked thread