Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

aleksendr posted:

There goes 10.5M for a custom Firestarter FS9-H, I hope the 4.8M for the engine is worth it but the idea of going "Meep ! Meep !" with max armor and 6 mlas kind of please me.

Now if i could only learn to aim.

the XL 295 is a very versatile engine if you play light mechs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I love you guys.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Banano posted:

If you wanted to play scorched earth and actually see what was going on, you did.

Ha! Yes indeed. I miss playig that with my friends in idaho back in the day.

So some of the mechs I bought before I quit are gone. And I have a king crab with a chick on it. As cool as the crab is I want my missing jenner and centurian varients back :(

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I sat in mumble wondering why everyone was so quiet when I realized a half hour later my headphones broke :negative:

I'll try again tomorrow, thanks for the invite.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Well with the OP soundly remotely positive I fired this up again, and man they seem to have made the mechlab worse? It feels like they're trying too drat hard to use as much sceen space as possible. I liked the old one where you'd just see all the slots on your mech then drag/drop'd whatever over.

So whats the deal with clan mechs? And is there something in a tag/name that specifies "Yup its a clan mech!".

CW seems alright if not for 15 planets splitting players up bit much, although gently caress the winter map if you're attacking, trying to breach through a team with long range is drat brutal. Atleast the lava map has enough cover for attackers to bumrush the cannon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drakes posted:

Well with the OP soundly remotely positive I fired this up again, and man they seem to have made the mechlab worse? It feels like they're trying too drat hard to use as much sceen space as possible. I liked the old one where you'd just see all the slots on your mech then drag/drop'd whatever over.

So whats the deal with clan mechs? And is there something in a tag/name that specifies "Yup its a clan mech!".

CW seems alright if not for 15 planets splitting players up bit much, although gently caress the winter map if you're attacking, trying to breach through a team with long range is drat brutal. Atleast the lava map has enough cover for attackers to bumrush the cannon.

The mechlab is a steaming pile of bullshit, but they've said that now Community Warfare is out they're going to fix it.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

These are some really terrible mechs

inner sphere mechs op, pgi please nerf

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

Ravens, Jenners, and Firestarters are the best light mechs. Some suggested builds:

JR7-F (you can go down to an XL295 for one more heat sink or mix match heat sinks/JJs to fit your personal preference)
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=4&l=798f61c2c2fa20da136879bc45f22c3249a898ea

Don't go down to a 295 if you want just an extra heatsink, the xl 300 has another in-engine heatsink that is 2.0 instead of the 1.4 for normal heatsinks.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I formed a group with a few pals of mine, and I can really say that the Invasion mode is /super fun/. Unfortunately, we're not a very big group so we had to get a bunch of other smaller groups to fight, so everything was disorganized and fell prey to just sitting behind a wall and cry for a while.

Our group didn't last. We charged between waves, when there was room, with the hope of getting OTHERS to actually take some grounds but, no, no, apparently that didn't worked well enough.

Invasion need to be a regular gameplay mode I think too.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So, I've literally never seen goons lose a CW match and for some reason we're still losing space? The dropship game mode is good but absolutely everything else about the roll out of CW is hot trash.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Davion just has too many loving scrubs for us to deal with

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

aleksendr posted:

There goes 10.5M for a custom Firestarter FS9-H, I hope the 4.8M for the engine is worth it but the idea of going "Meep ! Meep !" with max armor and 6 mlas kind of please me.

Now if i could only learn to aim.

Aiming with lights is hard, especially when CW starts to get slowdowns :(

Kazvall posted:

Davion just has too many loving scrubs for us to deal with

Yeah, basically Russ said in his post that if they have 3x the numbers they'll get in 2 wins for every loss they get (from us) because of how the queue clears once there's been a defender matchup. There have been a number of suggestions to making this balance more dynamically but I expect it will take them some time foreverto implement a fix.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
davs playing shoot turret and out zerging goons

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Hoboskins posted:

Been trying to make builds out of the lighter assaults since tonnage limits encourages their use. Battlemasters, Stalkers and Awesomes come to mind because they have really good quirks for the most part. Any configs people are using that they like with these mechs?

Wubsome 9M
Wubsome 9M #2

The first is a build I frequently run, the second is a theorycraft of the same idea for people who actually have good aim and heat management, which I don't. You couldn't throw a pen without hitting half a dozen goons who could write an exhaustive thesis on why this mech is bad, but it is fun.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
So I bought a stormcrow and can't seem to find a tab to put it into a dropship for CW. Please don't tell me its because of some dumb faction thing going on :negative:.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Drakes posted:

So I bought a stormcrow and can't seem to find a tab to put it into a dropship for CW. Please don't tell me its because of some dumb faction thing going on :negative:.

Unless you are aligned to a clan faction, you will not be able to use your stormcrow for CW.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
We are winning 99% our matches but losing cw. Other liao is awful

Meta is everybody piling in 3 hours before 12 am eastern 9 pacific into cw and we cannot win fast enough to hold planets. You are better off dropping vs nobody rather than another team to advance cw

Most of what you do any time inbetween dosent matter too much, sorry eu and aus goons.

I think we need to train liao, become bird ambassadors of the bads

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I blame the god drat dirty blobbers. This isn't how honorable wars are fought.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 14, 2014

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

People are bad at this game

timg isnt working

http://imgur.com/I9xkpok

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Deofuta posted:

I blame the god drat dirty blobbers. This isn't how honorable wars are fought.

E-honoure in e-sports yo.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
:pgi:

I break my 7day contract with Smoke Jaguars because they're useless, full of bads and contracts rarely even get past matchmaking, costs me 50k per day and apparently you can't join another faction for at least 2 days afterwards.

So loving glad I haven't given a cent to PGI since last year.

edit: Nowhere does it say before you break your contract that you're locked out for 2 days, might want to get on that PGI it's a pretty loving annoying thing to discover, I would have just kept the loving contract and saved 200k cbills.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 14, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ironically the organization that pubs whined about being able to zerg rush in CW due to superior numbers is getting zerg rushed by pubs with superior numbers.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

ZombyDog posted:

Well for a while there Mitosis was the only Drongo so that's fair, but since Don's KDR now, does that mean he can't be a Drongo as well? Internecine feuds are so confusing ( and dumb ).

Or is Don like a jerk now?

The worst.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Great Beer posted:

Ironically the organization that pubs whined about being able to zerg rush in CW due to superior numbers is getting zerg rushed by pubs with superior numbers.

talking to the fleemers (marik) so we can get a cf on that border so we can focus on the davs

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Reverence posted:

Don't go down to a 295 if you want just an extra heatsink, the xl 300 has another in-engine heatsink that is 2.0 instead of the 1.4 for normal heatsinks.

This is wrong.

Heat sinks built into the engine, up to a max of ten, count as 2.0 heatsinks.

Heat sinks that fit into engine slots still count as 1.4. There is no benefit from fitting a heat sink into an engine slot, and the extra half ton from the XL295 can be very valuable on a light mech.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

This is wrong.

Heat sinks built into the engine, up to a max of ten, count as 2.0 heatsinks.

Heat sinks that fit into engine slots still count as 1.4. There is no benefit from fitting a heat sink into an engine slot, and the extra half ton from the XL295 can be very valuable on a light mech.

Built in engine heatsinks go up every 25 engine rating, I'm not talking about sloting one in.

-edit Or maybe I'm wrong, smurphy says the 295 and 300 both have ten heatsinks.

Reverence fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 14, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ok so since I'm not cool enough to be WoL anymore. Please tell me what I did wrong. I don't want back in, I just want to improve myself because I'm apparently too enthusiastic to be a goon.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Reverence posted:

Built in engine heatsinks go up every 25 engine rating, I'm not talking about sloting one in.

The number of heatsinks an engine can hold goes up every 25 rating points, but only the first ten 'free' ones count as 2.0 - a 300-rating engine can hold 12 heat sinks 'in' it, but only 10 will be 2.0, the last two are 1.4s.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Reverence posted:

Except no because my heat is the very same with a 300 or a 295?

Nephila
Aug 19, 2005

Crawling up your leg as you read this.
PGI mentioned a while ago that they would highly consider resetting CW map progression if balance factors or one side dominating others just exploded when it came out. So even though the attacking turrets for free wins is terrible right now, don't worry too much about that and concentrate on the fact that goons are winning 95% of their games. Plus it is pretty drat fun despite whatever the faction map shows.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah the only thing that really matters is getting that sweet 50 million cbills from the last rank of loyalty

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

nightwisher posted:

:pgi:

I break my 7day contract with Smoke Jaguars because they're useless, full of bads and contracts rarely even get past matchmaking, costs me 50k per day and apparently you can't join another faction for at least 2 days afterwards.

So loving glad I haven't given a cent to PGI since last year.

edit: Nowhere does it say before you break your contract that you're locked out for 2 days, might want to get on that PGI it's a pretty loving annoying thing to discover, I would have just kept the loving contract and saved 200k cbills.

At times I'm tempted to sink money into MWO, it scratches that itch for a good'ol stompy mech gear with decent variety and customization. But then I look at the prices and the value and....:smith:, I can't keep but feel MWO gouges atad more than other games.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Willfrey posted:

You are better off dropping vs nobody rather than another team to advance cw

Yep. That's a pretty big problem too. It's a shame because the whole dropship mode and the attack/defend gameplay is a lot of fun. I'd rather they make that a standard game mode so I could guarantee a match rather than shooting at turrets all night.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

gwarm01 posted:

Yep. That's a pretty big problem too. It's a shame because the whole dropship mode and the attack/defend gameplay is a lot of fun. I'd rather they make that a standard game mode so I could guarantee a match rather than shooting at turrets all night.

It should just be a queue like the normal 'pre-cw'?) one. Like, don't make people run around switching from planet to planet and having a queue for each, you just queue up for CW and get matched with an adjacent faction's cw-queued groups.

I mean you'd have to come up with some algorithm to determine who's defending, who's attacking, hich planet it's on, all that, but having each potential planet being its own queue seems to be the core problem (to me anyway, just having read you guys talk about it).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The two actual games of CW I managed to play last night were actually pretty great, and reminded me a lot of the "defend the desert pass" mission in MW4: Mercs. Highlights included someone trying to do the "hide in the cannon" trick and having Mindblast bail him anyway, our group trying and failing to remember the NATO alphabet past L (thanks to respawns being given a new call letter) and just making it up on the fly ("Thomas and Niko are through the gate!" "Q?? What the gently caress is Q?" "Xylophone is trying to flank") and generally rolling the attackers in both games. Sadly our two attack missions were against empty planets and attacking turrets is boring as poo poo.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Fil5000 posted:

Sadly our two attack missions were against empty planets and attacking turrets is boring as poo poo.
Thankfully over in a few minutes, you literally spend more time waiting for the opponents to not show up.

Even more thankfully, CW gameplay is far more interesting than plain old pugging, as long as you do end up with opponents.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
The bum rushing is the worst thing on the CW lava map, I can't get 80 points like this :negative:. And breaking through the first gates on the wintermap is a giant bitch.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
holy poo poo Im sorta roleplaying on the brown sea as to not get the noble tetatae crushed

dont attack marik planets

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

TeeMerk posted:

holy poo poo Im sorta roleplaying on the brown sea as to not get the noble tetatae crushed

dont attack marik planets

I put in to have merc appear on a future episode of 'dirty jobs'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Yesterday I dropped two times at Turtle Bay (on defense) and two times on Somerset (first on defense and than on offense), and it's incredible fun. Like more fun than I would think I could have with MW:O, the only real downside is the matchmaking system, but I think everyone agrees that this needs a bit of improvement as you might sit forever in some remote world hoping that enough attackers show up for you to actually get into a match.

Anyway, the simple animation of sitting in a dropship while you already hear the battle raging on below, or seeing one swoop in directly over the attackers to drop some reinforcements is just great.

Turtle Bay, Dec 13 3049, :unsmith:

• Locked thread