Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Light Gun Man posted:

That reminds me, the non-engish conversations in Agents of SHIELD say gently caress it and don't sub a drat thing. People will have a whole conversation in Russian or whatever and you don't know what the hell they are saying, and it's ok. The world doesn't end or anything.

I really like it when shows/movies do this. It's more... I don't know, immersive?

I was watching Snowpiercer while stoned and had subtitles turned off, and I didn't realize until halfway through the film that the scenes in Korean were supposed to be subbed and also had a whole lot of important plot points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

That reminds me, the non-engish conversations in Agents of SHIELD say gently caress it and don't sub a drat thing. People will have a whole conversation in Russian or whatever and you don't know what the hell they are saying, and it's ok. The world doesn't end or anything.

That just means you aren't supposed to know what they're saying.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I turn on the subtitles for everything I watch, so I would prefer if the subtitles merely became the Russian equivalent instead of just <speaks Russian>.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
"Gracias." "De nada, señor."
subtitles: [SPEAKS FOREIGN LANGUAGE]

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I hate Hunt For Red October for this reason.

Right at the very start, Sean Connery starts talking Russian (in a Scottish accent, natch) but within a few sentences he switches to English along with everyone else, for no apparent reason.

It's obviously just to set up that he's Russian, but then not carrying it on so as not to confuse people.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GazChap posted:

Right at the very start, Sean Connery starts talking Russian (in a Scottish accent, natch) but within a few sentences he switches to English along with everyone else, for no apparent reason.

It's obviously just to set up that he's Russian, but then not carrying it on so as not to confuse people.

Red October at least does something interesting with it, though. The switch occurs midsentence on the word "Armageddon", which is the same in both languages.

Then when the Americans and Russian meet later, the Russians are speaking their language again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In the game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater despite the fact that all the characters are speaking in English (or language of choice) canonically they are all actually speaking in Russian. A Russian scientist even comments that the main character speaks impeccable Russian.

I understand why they aren't actually speaking Russian, but it's still a little weird.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking of movies and languages, it annoys the hell out of me when they decide to have British-accented English be a stand-in for whatever European language they need. The most egregious example I can think of was Valkyrie. If I remember right, they start off with Tom Cruise dubbed in German and then switch to his regular American accent, then for the rest of the movie it's all English dudes in Nazi uniforms and it's jarring as hell.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Judgement at Nuremberg did the translation thing alright.

It was based off the actual Nuremberg Trials and had a German judge being tried by an American-filled court. Like two exchanges are made with one character speaking clearly into a mic, a translator shown translating the statement or question, and then the respondent listening to the translation via headphone and then responding. Then, after a scene or two of this, they cut all that out and switch to all the characters speaking English to each other, because the full translation chain is tedious and the speed of conversation is not really pertinent to the story but it's worth at least showing to the audience.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't mind characters speaking English for the sake of the audience, but it does annoy me when they do an accent to indicate the language they're speaking. Like, an American actor is playing a French character in France so they say all their lines in English with a French accent. Just use your normal voice!

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I really like it when shows/movies do this. It's more... I don't know, immersive?

I was watching Snowpiercer while stoned and had subtitles turned off, and I didn't realize until halfway through the film that the scenes in Korean were supposed to be subbed and also had a whole lot of important plot points.

I had the exact same problem. I was thinking it was a nice touch that they didn't subtitle the Korean and then got to the end soliloquy that was like a solid minute of Korean and I was like "Uhhh what now?"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Who What Now posted:

In the game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater despite the fact that all the characters are speaking in English (or language of choice) canonically they are all actually speaking in Russian. A Russian scientist even comments that the main character speaks impeccable Russian.

I understand why they aren't actually speaking Russian, but it's still a little weird.

Wait, what? Why is this a bad thing? The game is set somewhere in the Soviet Union. A Soviet Union superzoo if you believe all the wildlife around. At one point early on a side character says "by the way, your Russian is impeccable", and that's all there is to it. It's probably the best possible way to do the whole thing - everyone is assumed to be speaking the language that makes the most sense, but it's all presented in English for the player.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Synonamess Botch posted:

I had the exact same problem. I was thinking it was a nice touch that they didn't subtitle the Korean and then got to the end soliloquy that was like a solid minute of Korean and I was like "Uhhh what now?"

Netflix didn't want to give me subtitles on s2 of Orange is the New Black so the scenes that are entirely in Spanish were a bit of an adventure to try to understand.

I hate it in shows/movies when they get someone to speak a foreign language that that person doesn't actually speak but they pretend they're a native speaker. I know the politics of casting people of one ethnicity to play another are complicated, but I don't think it's too much to ask that if you've got a Chinese character and you want them to speak Mandarin on the show, you get an actual Chinese actor who can actually speak Mandarin. See also: Abed in Community and Arabic. In this day and age you're definitely going to have speakers of whatever language it is watching your show and it is going to sound like nails on a chalkboard to them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
13th Warrior did the language transition thing really well.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Surprisingly I think Battlefield Earth did it pretty well too, since most of that movie should have been a nonsense alien language.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I don't get what the big deal is. Just have all characters speak chauderwelsch and be done with it!

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I did the same thing for the entire first season of Game of Thrones with Dothraki, minus the stones part.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
In the first season of Arrow, oliver sneaks into the back of a chinese restaurant that's a front for something and pushes one of the workers against the wall and begins interrogating them in mandarin. After he gets his information he runs off and the worker tell another guy that he just got interrogated and the only thing that he knew about them was that they spoke perfect mandarin. Even for Arrow it was an eye-rolling moment.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

I hate it in shows/movies when they get someone to speak a foreign language that that person doesn't actually speak but they pretend they're a native speaker.

This bothers me a lot because c'mon. You're actors. Affecting a passable accent is part of your job. Don't try to tell me John Travolta's Spanish, or Keanu Reeve's anything, sounds natural. What the hell.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Trent posted:

13th Warrior did the language transition thing really well.

This is the best example I can think of. It wasn't just "oh they're speaking English now," the Persian is shown learning their language over time (as they make fun of him), until he's learned enough that he can recognize an insult and fire back one of his own. They worked the language transition into the plot in a clever way.

Van Dis posted:

This bothers me a lot because c'mon. You're actors. Affecting a passable accent is part of your job. Don't try to tell me John Travolta's Spanish, or Keanu Reeve's anything, sounds natural. What the hell.

I would pay good money to see Keanu try to order dinner in Spanish at a Mexican restaurant:

"Yo....queero...uh...burrito. Con quayso. Yeah."

*waiter leaves*

"Mr. Reeves, what did you order for dinner?"

"...I have no idea."

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
"Woah... I know Spanish."

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

mng posted:

I'm binge watching Supernatural at the moment, and something that keeps popping out to me is one of the leads gets super impatient when they're getting information about something. Like: "What can you tell me about this demon unicorn?" "well they feed on munchkins and can only be killed in one way" *nanosecond later* "YES WHAT IS IT?!" Calm down, dude, he was gonna tell you in a second, sheesh. I've seen that stuff before but can't remember any specific examples.

My other beef with Supernatural is that there are still things they fervently don't believe in - or at least, things that they're shocked to find out that are real monsters. How many times throughout the series have Sam or Dean - who have gone up against just about every mythical creature in history - said something like "___? That's impossible, ___ don't exist." At a certain point, you'd think they would have enough experience that they'd stop being surprised by additional supernatural stuff showing up, right?

This also shows up in plenty of other movies/shows that are set in a world where supernatural stuff is widely known to exist. I've only seen parts of the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I recall an episode where all appearances indicated that a character might be telekinetic, and everyone was like "Impossible, there's no such thing as telekinesis." Guys, you live in a universe where immortal aliens with magic-like technology visit Earth on the regular, and you've already seen people create and manipulate fire from their bodies. Is telekinesis really such an unlikely possibility for the girl who is constantly surrounded by objects that move of their own accord? (Of course, it later turned out NOT to be telekinesis, but rather a guy who was stuck between two dimensions...because that makes more sense than telekinesis?)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I always took Sam and Dean not believing in something was because if it had existed they probably would've known about it, or at least it would be referenced in some book or whatever, or might've been referenced somewhere as definitely a myth and not existing. I mean, if I've got a thousand year old book that tells me what supernatural beings exist and it says such-or-so is commonly believed to exist but don't worry, it definitely doesn't, then my brother goes up to me and says he totally saw that thing, I'd probably question it too. More often than not, it's not actually such-or-so but rather something stupid like a shapeshifter or a manifestation of people's fears or whatever.

Then again, Supernatural (and SHIELD and the like) isn't a show I watch all that attentively or critically because it's goofy, fun and self-deprecating, so I just go along for the ride without thinking too much about it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

If it's early in the show, I don't mind as much (although yeah, it gets annoying if it's like season 5 and they're still doing it).

I mean, in the real world we discovered whole continents with cities of gold and unknown civilizations, but there's still no gorgons.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GazChap posted:

This is a terrible hate.

I don't know of any other example of a movie handling it so gracefully and openly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Taeke posted:

I always took Sam and Dean not believing in something was because if it had existed they probably would've known about it, or at least it would be referenced in some book or whatever, or might've been referenced somewhere as definitely a myth and not existing. I mean, if I've got a thousand year old book that tells me what supernatural beings exist and it says such-or-so is commonly believed to exist but don't worry, it definitely doesn't, then my brother goes up to me and says he totally saw that thing, I'd probably question it too. More often than not, it's not actually such-or-so but rather something stupid like a shapeshifter or a manifestation of people's fears or whatever.

Then again, Supernatural (and SHIELD and the like) isn't a show I watch all that attentively or critically because it's goofy, fun and self-deprecating, so I just go along for the ride without thinking too much about it.

It's never a tulpa (except on that one occasion when it was). Tulpas are Supernatural's equivalent of lupus.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Organza Quiz posted:

Netflix didn't want to give me subtitles on s2 of Orange is the New Black so the scenes that are entirely in Spanish were a bit of an adventure to try to understand.

I hate it in shows/movies when they get someone to speak a foreign language that that person doesn't actually speak but they pretend they're a native speaker. I know the politics of casting people of one ethnicity to play another are complicated, but I don't think it's too much to ask that if you've got a Chinese character and you want them to speak Mandarin on the show, you get an actual Chinese actor who can actually speak Mandarin. See also: Abed in Community and Arabic. In this day and age you're definitely going to have speakers of whatever language it is watching your show and it is going to sound like nails on a chalkboard to them.
To me, the most egregious example of this is one of Devon Aoki's roles in a forgettable movie (I literally forgot the name) where she's supposed to be the daughter of a yakuza boss or something and she says all her Japanese lines in the most atrocious accent. You couldn't even have a native speaker teach her to recite them phonetically?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Patattack posted:

This also shows up in plenty of other movies/shows that are set in a world where supernatural stuff is widely known to exist. I've only seen parts of the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I recall an episode where all appearances indicated that a character might be telekinetic, and everyone was like "Impossible, there's no such thing as telekinesis." Guys, you live in a universe where immortal aliens with magic-like technology visit Earth on the regular, and you've already seen people create and manipulate fire from their bodies. Is telekinesis really such an unlikely possibility for the girl who is constantly surrounded by objects that move of their own accord? (Of course, it later turned out NOT to be telekinesis, but rather a guy who was stuck between two dimensions...because that makes more sense than telekinesis?)
But if it's always been like that- I forget if that's so in the Movie/TV Marvel Universe- then those aren't extraordinary occurrences, but something that just happens. I mean, take your complaint and apply it to our world:

quote:

Guys, you live in a universe where your planet is regularly threatened with cosmic destruction from asteroids or your star or whatever, and you've already seen people walk on the moon after just strapping themselves to a missile. Is a hidden colony on Mars such an unlikely possibility for a society that still hasn't even charted all of its own planet's seafloor?
Even a fantasy world supposedly has limits to them. Both what can and can't be done within those limits sounds like fantasy to us, but to somebody already living in it one sounds like reasonable, workable stuff and the other sounds like fantasy.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Tiggum posted:

I don't mind characters speaking English for the sake of the audience, but it does annoy me when they do an accent to indicate the language they're speaking. Like, an American actor is playing a French character in France so they say all their lines in English with a French accent. Just use your normal voice!

There's an old sitcom about a bunch of French Resistance guys called 'Allo 'Allo that does this really well, because there are French, British and German (and, in the later series, Italian) characters in it. The show's all in English but the characters use accents to show what language they're speaking. Their contact, Michelle, is helping a couple of British airmen who don't speak French, so she translates for them by switching into RP and saying "Right-o, chaps, here's the situation, what what". They have a friend who's a British spy who thinks he can speak French, and he's undercover as a gendarme, but his French pronunciation is awful, so he makes a load of mistakes like "I thought I would stoop into the cafe, since I was just pissing by." He always greets people with "Good moaning." :3:

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovkJn8YAg8

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stottie Kyek posted:

There's an old sitcom
'Allo 'Allo is great but gently caress me if I don't feel ever so closer to the grave now, how has it been 30 years since that was on? :corsair:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Van Dis posted:

Oh god, Keanu's british accent in Dracula.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Patattack posted:

My other beef with Supernatural is that there are still things they fervently don't believe in - or at least, things that they're shocked to find out that are real monsters. How many times throughout the series have Sam or Dean - who have gone up against just about every mythical creature in history - said something like "___? That's impossible, ___ don't exist." At a certain point, you'd think they would have enough experience that they'd stop being surprised by additional supernatural stuff showing up, right?

Did they say no TK in SHIELD? I know they said no psychics / clairvoyance but they said that because they had a big list of people with powers and every time they investigated a psychic it was a false positive. They wanted to find psychics, they just never had.

SHIELD is kind of hilarious when you factor in that they can't reference X-men, as otherwise their list would be like 90% mutants probably and have plenty of psychics.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Did they say no TK in SHIELD? I know they said no psychics / clairvoyance but they said that because they had a big list of people with powers and every time they investigated a psychic it was a false positive. They wanted to find psychics, they just never had.

SHIELD is kind of hilarious when you factor in that they can't reference X-men, as otherwise their list would be like 90% mutants probably and have plenty of psychics.

None of the X-Men in the films (which is what they would reference) were psychic and could see the fututre, just gently caress with peoples minds and some could move poo poo with their brains.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stottie Kyek posted:

There's an old sitcom about a bunch of French Resistance guys called 'Allo 'Allo that does this really well, because there are French, British and German (and, in the later series, Italian) characters in it. The show's all in English but the characters use accents to show what language they're speaking. Their contact, Michelle, is helping a couple of British airmen who don't speak French, so she translates for them by switching into RP and saying "Right-o, chaps, here's the situation, what what". They have a friend who's a British spy who thinks he can speak French, and he's undercover as a gendarme, but his French pronunciation is awful, so he makes a load of mistakes like "I thought I would stoop into the cafe, since I was just pissing by." He always greets people with "Good moaning." :3:

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovkJn8YAg8

This was such an amazing sitcom. I spoke such a terrible French that i always assumed French people would hear me the same way we hear Reene speaking English.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Today I saw the Hobbit p3 which made me think of this peeve.

Sanitization of violence. Every loving time there are huge fights, it seems like the characters just get a bit dirty. Nobody ever breaks teeth, nobody ever gets swollen lumps or visible bruising, facial wounds look like a nifty red scar, when they actually bleed like hell. That one fight(you know which) in GoT actually made it look really great except for the whole squeezing his head in like an apple.

I've seen people in real life that bang their head on the sink or something look worse than people apparently fighting for their lives.

Medieval Medic has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Dec 14, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched 47 Ronin and something that bugged me is that Keanu is supposed to have grown up with the love interest, except in real life he's 50 and she's 30.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I always love that protagonists generally kill or maim whoever gets in their way without feeling bad about it.

Like, people love Walter White even though he kills a shitload of innocent people.

Elderbean has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Dec 14, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Walt's a straight-up villain, particularly near the end of the series. Now whats-his-face from Person of Interest who is a capital-H Hero with some sorta vendetta against knees, that's a better example.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Walt's a straight-up villain, particularly near the end of the series. Now whats-his-face from Person of Interest who is a capital-H Hero with some sorta vendetta against knees, that's a better example.

The point was about fan reaction. People loved Walt to the bitter end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What? No they didn't. They liked watching walt. No one actually liked him by the end of the show.