Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you never have to fight an FOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Urrrgh, must I fight the Lovely Doll in the Evil Spirit Club 2nd Story? I've got a party full of Elec users (equipped Naoto with Null Curse and Zio, too), but every time I get the damned thing down to 75% health or less, it spams Megidola and slaughters everyone. What should I do?

You should not have to fight an FOE in there at any point, no.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

You unlock the ability sometime during the 3rd labyrinth, IIRC.

Wow that's farther in than I thought. Guess I have to keep incubus around for a while.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wow that's farther in than I thought. Guess I have to keep incubus around for a while.
Or just register it and resummon later, if you need the space. The further you progress the less money is an issue.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you really want to kill an FOE, make it panic. When panicked an enemy can only use basic attacks (with which it can target itself occasionally) and cannot dodge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If a Foe is using a move that is wrecking you, Bind it or Panic it. You get a Magic Bind skill card early on which is a great boon, although Panic Circle/Tentarafoo is ideal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I find agility bind is the most useful of the three. Salome's Kiss with Binding Hands is the best option since it's a high chance of all three at once, though it costs a lot of SP.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The Grimace posted:

The FOE monsters in the final dungeon are vicious.

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you really want to kill an FOE, make it panic. When panicked an enemy can only use basic attacks (with which it can target itself occasionally) and cannot dodge.

This, and remember that you get a free round if you run into them from the side or behind. I think pretty much every character gets a weapon that inflicts panic, even if you can't get boosted Tentrafoo on your whole party - and with 5-10 attempts before the enemy gets to move, that's a pretty good chance to lock it down.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Redoing P3 side in ng+ up to dungeon 3 just so I've got a save exclusively for redoing the Group Date event. :smuggo:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Will be getting the game in two weeks. I assume I'll eventually be playing from both sides, but which is the better side to start with, for story reasons or whatever?

The thread sings the praises of Naoto a lot, but if for whatever reason I don't want to use her, can I get away with using Koro and/or Ken in place?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The story is a little better integrated from the P4 side. Anyone can take the place of Naoto, it's just that she comes with Hama and Mudo from the start and has the Magic and Luck to make them stick pretty often.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can use basically anyone. I had Shinjiro carrying Mudo and Hama spells for a while and he was doing just fine.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ApplesandOranges posted:

The thread sings the praises of Naoto a lot, but if for whatever reason I don't want to use her, can I get away with using Koro and/or Ken in place?

The main drawback of using Koromaru and Ken is that they never get the Ma- versions of their light/dark spells, so they're just not nearly as effective.

You can still easily get a sub-Persona to make up for that, but Naoto has it easiest because she has it pre-packaged.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

ImpAtom posted:

If a Foe is using a move that is wrecking you, Bind it or Panic it. You get a Magic Bind skill card early on which is a great boon, although Panic Circle/Tentarafoo is ideal.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I find agility bind is the most useful of the three. Salome's Kiss with Binding Hands is the best option since it's a high chance of all three at once, though it costs a lot of SP.
I had forgotten about that! The stupid dolls have crazy dodging, so panic/agility bind should do the trick. Thanks goons!

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
D-did I just accidentally completely shut down Elizabeth by forgetting to unequip the piddly Spiral Sword I found on Floor 1 of the first Labyrinth from P3MC.
Like, wasn't that supposed to be a bonus boss? Also, I'll have to replace someone off the Team now, I think. Goodbye, Team Competent.

Also, the first two floors of the Inaba Pride Festival were redeemed by the third, even if just by reaching Peak Anime.
"I wish to talk to you about using your cooking as an Anti-Shadow weapon."

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Grimace posted:

The FOE monsters in the final dungeon are vicious. Ran into one on the first floor and while I was trying to run away and it cast mamudoon on my party, instantly killing everyone. Almost happened a second time while I was trying to fill out the map and couldn't see which direction it was coming from. Hell, thus far the Reaper has given me less trouble since its moves are more predictable and it's slightly slower in its reaction time. Think it only moves twice every three times I move, something like that.

I've just been grinding lots now. I barely have any skillcards used on my team, and I want to see the abilities on each new persona I get... which still takes a lot of time through Sacrifice Fusion. Alice still kicks rear end though.

I've had a lot of success against FOEs by using the Body-Soul Reverse accessory on Naoto and having her spam Salome's Kiss+Binding Circles. Both of the FOEs you talk about there are pretty much children when Magic Bound.

I'm disappointed in how difficult it is to hit with Poison Breath. Does Tentarafoo have a better success chance against FOEs? I just need a status effect on them, any status effect, so that Kanji can use Death's Scythe and send them to hell. Power Boost+Matarukaja+Dragon Cry Kanji can two-shot the Capturer FOE, I wanna get that down to a one-shot :getin:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Vengarr posted:

I've had a lot of success against FOEs by using the Body-Soul Reverse accessory on Naoto and having her spam Salome's Kiss+Binding Circles. Both of the FOEs you talk about there are pretty much children when Magic Bound.

I'm disappointed in how difficult it is to hit with Poison Breath. Does Tentarafoo have a better success chance against FOEs? I just need a status effect on them, any status effect, so that Kanji can use Death's Scythe and send them to hell. Power Boost+Matarukaja+Dragon Cry Kanji can two-shot the Capturer FOE, I wanna get that down to a one-shot :getin:

if it's anything like etrian odyssey, each enemy probably has different resistances to each ailment/bind. personally i just use panic circle on everything though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

if it's anything like etrian odyssey, each enemy probably has different resistances to each ailment/bind. personally i just use panic circle on everything though.

Both SMT and Etrian Odyssey have invisible ailment strength/weaknesses, yeah. I kinda wish they'd let you see them at some point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Power charged myriad arrows on Kanji is filthy. I think I can use panic instead of poison now. :stare:

So there was an event where Yukari complained about being too low leveled. What was that about?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Power charged myriad arrows on Kanji is filthy. I think I can use panic instead of poison now. :stare:

So there was an event where Yukari complained about being too low leveled. What was that about?

It'll randomly use one of whoever you haven't been using, and you can see a different one each time you return to the dungeon. There's probably some minimum involved, but I don't know what it is. It's just a story thing you can ignore, but if you have everyone trained, you get a message of what a good job you've been doing. :unsmith:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

What Labyrinth is this scene in?

Unrelated Edit: I just learned that Death Chaser triggers links... Well then.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 14, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZeButler posted:

What Labyrinth is this scene in?

4, somewhere in the top left section of floor 2, iirc.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I think I know the scene you're talking about now, I think it's on floor 3. I've always had it pop up with Mitsuru fumbling about how rest is important and basically implying that she wants a turn (not that she deserves one, but that's a different story).

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 14, 2014

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
52 is a good level for Personas. Black Rider, Kartikeya, and Decarabia are all Good Personas. Also, got a scene where Yosuke was crying about only being level 28.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

KingEffingFrost posted:

52 is a good level for Personas. Black Rider, Kartikeya, and Decarabia are all Good Personas. Also, got a scene where Yosuke was crying about only being level 28.

oh yeah. anyone know what that scene is about in the fourth labyrinth? it says you should come back later, but i'm not sure when. i assume it involves leveling whoever shows up for it, though.

edit: i should probably read more than just the most recent post.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Strange Quark posted:

4, somewhere in the top left section of floor 2, iirc.

I was wondering why Akihiko just randomly started spouting off about how strong he is, then stormed off annoyed.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I took a request that involves taking Teddie's stupid rear end into the Group Date place to sniff out a Love Potion. Can someone tell me where it is so I don't have to hear any more bear puns than necessary?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I took a request that involves taking Teddie's stupid rear end into the Group Date place to sniff out a Love Potion. Can someone tell me where it is so I don't have to hear any more bear puns than necessary?

You should just grin and bear it :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's at the exact same place where you got the notice that the quest was available (like every other quest). The lower half of the room near the middle bottom with three black FOEs right next to each other. It should have a shortcut from the south taking you pretty close to it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 14, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

It's at the exact same place where you got the notice that the quest was available (like every other quest). The lower half of the room near the middle bottom with three FOEs. It should have a shortcut from the south taking you pretty close to it.

You can get this specific quest without going to that spot, actually.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zurai posted:

You can get this specific quest without going to that spot, actually.

Interesting. Maybe I just explore too long before heading back to base.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Clarste posted:

It's at the exact same place where you got the notice that the quest was available (like every other quest). The lower half of the room near the middle bottom with three black FOEs right next to each other. It should have a shortcut from the south taking you pretty close to it.

Thanks, got it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Are there conditional drops I should be paying attention to? I think I already have some equipment that needs conditionals to make but I didn't bother with them for some reason.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are there conditional drops I should be paying attention to? I think I already have some equipment that needs conditionals to make but I didn't bother with them for some reason.

Most of them are just for quests and they tell you how to get those. They didn't really involve conditional drops much in this game. The only one that you don't need for a quest is poisoning a cupid in the 2nd labyrinth.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I would just like to say, gently caress FOEs with Mamudoon, especially those that use it the first turn of the fight. It really fucks up my game plan when half my party's dead the first turn in a fight. At least they haven't gotten advantage on me yet, because I can easily see losing 3 members of my party before I even get a turn.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ZeButler posted:

I would just like to say, gently caress FOEs with Mamudoon, especially those that use it the first turn of the fight. It really fucks up my game plan when half my party's dead the first turn in a fight. At least they haven't gotten advantage on me yet, because I can easily see losing 3 members of my party before I even get a turn.

Please get excited for the 5th dungeon.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

That's what caused the post in the first place. Accidentally got into a fight with a spider on the first floor, thought I could take it, considering I had no trouble with the FOEs in Labyrinth 4. Proceeds to kill two of my people on the first turn with Mamudoon... At least they seem easy to run from when you're in a fight with them.

Edit: I'm assuming those spider FOEs do more than just Mamudoon, right? Because if they did just Mamudoon, I could probably just grind through the fight with the P4MC and Naoto, but it'd be a long fight...

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 14, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ZeButler posted:

That's what caused the post in the first place. Accidentally got into a fight with a spider on the first floor, thought I could take it, considering I had no trouble with the FOEs in Labyrinth 4. Proceeds to kill two of my people on the first turn with Mamudoon... At least they seem easy to run from when you're in a fight with them.

Edit: I'm assuming those spider FOEs do more than just Mamudoon, right? Because if they did just Mamudoon, I could probably just grind through the fight with the P4MC and Naoto, but it'd be a long fight...

If I recall they also petrify. The certain other FOE floating around that dungeon though don't try to two man it unless you're super confident. It won't end well.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You talking about The Reaper? And I'm guessing the best strategy for the spiders is to just Magic Bind them and proceed to murder them while they can't insta-death me with Mamudoon and Stona, or whatever the party wide petrify is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ZeButler posted:

You talking about The Reaper? And I'm guessing the best strategy for the spiders is to just Magic Bind them and proceed to murder them while they can't insta-death me with Mamudoon and Stona, or whatever the party wide petrify is?

Yeah to the spoiler. And the petrify is to a entire line, not the party so that is the saving grace of that if you want to consider it one though it lands pretty consistantly. They also usually get to go first unless your agility is super high. Binding/Confusion is super important.

• Locked thread