Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

The Iron Rose posted:

What do I say to a person who is convinced that a 290x is a better card than a 970 even when the 290x is more expensive?

They appear to be about the same price but just point out that at stock clocks they perform about the same while the 970 uses over 100W less power.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-16.html

Also if you would compare the cards overclocked to overclocked the 970 would pull ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

What do I say to a person who is convinced that a 290x is a better card than a 970 even when the 290x is more expensive?

The 970 smashes the 290x at 1080p but at 4k they are equal.

When you take overclocking into account the 970 wins all the time by a lot (35% OC common).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Iron Rose posted:

To be fair, if you can find one cheaper than a 970, it's not like in other aspects it's useless or anything. Plus NVIDIA are kind of dicks in their business practices. But if it's more expensive? Then he's crazy. It burns through a decent amount more power.

It's not like buying an AMD CPU for a gaming system, in which case you would simply have to strap him down and beat that out of him.

If he wants to support AMD at the high end, then I'd probably wait until something in the 3xx series is out. Cheap 280X and 290s are still decent deals, but to be honest, the 290X was never a great deal in comparison to a 290. A lot like the GTX 970 vs the GTX 980, the 980 isn't worth the increase in cost.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 13, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
OK, I figured out how to install Windows now. So 8.1 is installed, I ran the Windows updates like five times (each time it magically found 600-1400 MB of more updates :wtc:) and it's all up to date. Installed all the motherboard drives, GPU drivers, ran the Samsung performance fix thing and installed the Samsung Magician and turned on rapid mode. Can I "use" my computer now or did I forget to do something?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Any thoughts on the Corsair H90 cooler to cool an OC 4790K? Looks like a cheap alternative to Phanteks series I was considering prior (its on sale after rebate to $50 at Frys), and reviews look very decent. Supposed to be pretty quiet with decent performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181036&cm_re=h90-_-35-181-036-_-Product

EDIT: Reviews is just a hair quieter for slightly for slightly lower temps than the phanteks. I think I'm going to go for it.

Bonobos fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 13, 2014

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
After my first evening playing Dragon Age on a PC with "eh" performance at best with all settings on Medium, I've come to the conclusion that I need to invest in some hardware before I sink 100+ hours on a game I can already tell I'm going to be hooked on. Looking for some advice on what to prioritize for upgrades.

One of the oldest components in my Frankenstein of a PC is an ancient Bloomfield Core i7 940, but for the cost of replacing it with a modern processor I could pick up a solid video card like a GTX 760, or be about 2/3 of the way to a high-end model like a 970. I'm also not sure whether that motherboard can actually support something like a Core i5-4590.

It feels like the video card would be the higher-value option, especially since the game went from "literally unplayable" to "eh" after tweaking the video settings. But I'm mostly making this investment for DA:I, which seems like one of those open-world games the OP mentions benefiting disproportionately from CPU upgrades, so I'd like to make sure I'm putting my money in the right place.

(And yes, the CPU is running hot. No idea why, I just noticed it last night)

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
There's nothing there outside of the data in your storage that is salvageable Kestrel. Anything older than Sandy Bridge/Kepler requires a full system build.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/dragon_age_inquisition_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,7.html

Here are some benchmarks to get you started. It should also give you an idea as to how it would run GTAV too.

So next question is what's your budget?

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.
Here's what I'm looking at right now (I already have a Samsung EVO SSD that I'll be dropping in as the C: drive) --

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($145.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($144.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB LIGHTNING Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg, with an additional $25 off from being bundled with the CPU)
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($137.62 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $1339.54

I'm not gonna buy all (or, indeed, most) of this right stat now, since I've seen the case and PSU each go as low as $99. Other than that, thoughts? i7 still not worth it, even with a little bit of double-dipping on the discount?

I've only been targeting 1080 for the moment, though my cap is around 2 grand - so if someone could recommend some higher-resolution monitors that I could get two of and stick around that number, I'd be grateful.

a tea tree fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 13, 2014

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

a tea tree posted:

Here's what I'm looking at right now (I already have a Samsung EVO SSD that I'll be dropping in as the C: drive) --

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($145.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($144.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB LIGHTNING Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg, with an additional $25 off from being bundled with the CPU)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($137.62 @ TigerDirect)

I'm not gonna buy all (or, indeed, most) of this right stat now, since I've seen the case and PSU each go as low as $99. Other than that, thoughts? i7 still not worth it, even with a little bit of double-dipping on the discount?

I've only been targeting 1080 for the moment, though my cap is around 2 grand - so if someone could recommend some higher-resolution monitors that I could get two of and stick around that number, I'd be grateful.

For video games, the i7 doesn't help. Drop to the i5, get a GTX 970 instead of the 290X, and you can drop your PSU down to like 500W.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 13, 2014

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Khagan posted:

There's nothing there outside of the data in your storage that is salvageable Kestrel. Anything older than Sandy Bridge/Kepler requires a full system build.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/dragon_age_inquisition_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,7.html

Here are some benchmarks to get you started. It should also give you an idea as to how it would run GTAV too.

So next question is what's your budget?

A full system build is not in the cards at the moment. I can throw $500-600 at components now, then strip them out and install them in a more substantial build in late January or February. Looking for a short-term "best I can do" solution for the next 2 months or so.

Edit: Nevermind, turns out I literally cannot install anything made in the last couple years on this motherboard. Ah well.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 13, 2014

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

a tea tree posted:

Don't get the Antec 1200. It's heavy as poo poo, loud with the four 6 fans, the LEDs on the back can't be turned off and its also way too big, even assuming expanding to an SLI build in the future.

Oh, and the cable management is surprisingly poor considering how much space there is. Also installing a hard drive requires removing a total of 12 screws and unplugging a fan just to get one of the drive bays out. It's all coming back to me now :argh:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 13, 2014

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Newegg's got a nice deal on the 850 pro 256GB. Are the pros worth it over evos for gaming?

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Don't get the Antec 1200. It's heavy as poo poo, loud with the four 6 fans, the LEDs on the back can't be turned off and its also way too big, even assuming expanding to an SLI build in the future.

Oh, and the cable management is surprisingly poor considering how much space there is. Also installing a hard drive requires removing a total of 12 screws and unplugging a fan just to get one of the drive bays out. It's all coming back to me now :argh:

Criminy. Recommendations?

Right now I'm looking at something more along the lines of:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg, for the double-dip combo savings with the CPU)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($145.97 @ OutletPC) -- I'm willing to hear arguments toward higher or lower speeds of RAM, if that's worth much of anything.
Storage: same as before
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: ???
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

afkmacro posted:

Newegg's got a nice deal on the 850 pro 256GB. Are the pros worth it over evos for gaming?

SSDs will only reduce load times, not increase frame rates, etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

afkmacro posted:

What kind of a deal? I'm looking to buy that exact model later in the week, but I went to the site and checked it out and it didn't seem to be any cheaper than Amazon.

Do you mean that free Assassin's Creed Unity code that's included with it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hello. My brother needs a motherboard and I'd like to get him one for christmas. The catch is, he's got a working CPU, RAM, and video card, and I'd like to replace as little of that as possible.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? He mostly does lightweight gaming, but not modern/new FPS type games. High-end performance is not necessary.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'd like to spend around $100. If he needs RAM, that would have to include the RAM. If that's not a reasonable budget, I'll pick something else for his christmas present.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? He's got a 19" running at I think 1920x1080? Anyway his graphics card is adequate for what he wants to do.

So, bro's motherboard (an ASUS P8H61-M LE) has stopped recognizing any graphics card plugged into the PCI-E 16 slot. We've tried three different cards, no luck. It does still run the onboard graphics, so he's kind of limping along, but obviously that's not going to cut it. After running Windows Update and grabbing the latest drivers, it now also doesn't use the ethernet port, and Windows Troubleshooter crashes when he tries to diagnose that.

So, a replacement motherboard seems to be in the cards. He has a FCLGA1155 slot CPU of some sort, and DDR3-1033 RAM. The trouble I'm having is finding a motherboard that even supports DDR3-1033... it seems like DDR3-1066 is the bare minimum these days? I also am not liking the reviews on a lot of these low-end motherboards.

Last complication: we're in California, so I don't like to order from NewEgg, because they charge both shipping and sales tax. I have Amazon Prime, so I can merely pay sales tax (but not shipping) buying there; the other alternative that I've gone to in the past is Tiger Direct, where I don't have to pay sales tax (but do have to pay shipping, typically).

I also live like a quarter mile from a Fry's Electronics, but I usually find their prices to be crap (and of course, I'll have to pay sales tax). The advantage there is that returns are much easier.

Please suggest a motherboard that will suit my brother's needs; or, a MB/RAM combo; or, tell me I can't do this within my budget. Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kestral posted:

A full system build is not in the cards at the moment. I can throw $500-600 at components now, then strip them out and install them in a more substantial build in late January or February. Looking for a short-term "best I can do" solution for the next 2 months or so.

Edit: Nevermind, turns out I literally cannot install anything made in the last couple years on this motherboard. Ah well.

I'd buy a GTX970 and overclock that CPU as much as it can go in the meantime. Do you have a good heatsink right now? A new CPU will help, especially in a CPU intensive game, but the older intel ones aren't ridiculously out of date and if you can get the clock speed up it will perform a lot better.

edit: also a SSD will help the whole system feel faster, but it doesn't help all games.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Leperflesh posted:

Hello. My brother needs a motherboard and I'd like to get him one for christmas. The catch is, he's got a working CPU, RAM, and video card, and I'd like to replace as little of that as possible.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? He mostly does lightweight gaming, but not modern/new FPS type games. High-end performance is not necessary.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'd like to spend around $100. If he needs RAM, that would have to include the RAM. If that's not a reasonable budget, I'll pick something else for his christmas present.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? He's got a 19" running at I think 1920x1080? Anyway his graphics card is adequate for what he wants to do.

So, bro's motherboard (an ASUS P8H61-M LE) has stopped recognizing any graphics card plugged into the PCI-E 16 slot. We've tried three different cards, no luck. It does still run the onboard graphics, so he's kind of limping along, but obviously that's not going to cut it. After running Windows Update and grabbing the latest drivers, it now also doesn't use the ethernet port, and Windows Troubleshooter crashes when he tries to diagnose that.

So, a replacement motherboard seems to be in the cards. He has a FCLGA1155 slot CPU of some sort, and DDR3-1033 RAM. The trouble I'm having is finding a motherboard that even supports DDR3-1033... it seems like DDR3-1066 is the bare minimum these days? I also am not liking the reviews on a lot of these low-end motherboards.

Last complication: we're in California, so I don't like to order from NewEgg, because they charge both shipping and sales tax. I have Amazon Prime, so I can merely pay sales tax (but not shipping) buying there; the other alternative that I've gone to in the past is Tiger Direct, where I don't have to pay sales tax (but do have to pay shipping, typically).

I also live like a quarter mile from a Fry's Electronics, but I usually find their prices to be crap (and of course, I'll have to pay sales tax). The advantage there is that returns are much easier.

Please suggest a motherboard that will suit my brother's needs; or, a MB/RAM combo; or, tell me I can't do this within my budget. Thanks!

The only reason this is complicated is that you're shopping for previous generation parts. We're past the point where they're selling off at a discount, and we're at the point where the cost varies from "get these out of my warehouse" firesales to selling for as much or more than they did originally because they're not being manufactured anymore. Essentially you want a micro-atx LGA1155 motherboard.

Taking a quick look on amazon this stands out as being one of the better priced replacements, although it's not the only one:
http://www.amazon.com/P8B75-M-CSM-Intel-Micro-Motherboard/dp/B007RIFMQA

also ddr3-1033 is probably not its actual speed, it's either 1066 or 1333.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Just buy another one?

It's not exciting, but you can't get anything newer without upgrading the CPU, too.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

VulgarandStupid posted:

Actually they do increase frame rates in MMOs. You have people running around in god knows what weapons/armor/accessories. The game isn't going to load every single item in the game into memory just in case someone happens to be wearing it, so they're accessed from storage when they appear on screen. If you have the game on a HDD this can cause a drop in frame rate while the system waits for the drive to find the right item.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK, I figured out how to install Windows now. So 8.1 is installed, I ran the Windows updates like five times (each time it magically found 600-1400 MB of more updates :wtc:) and it's all up to date. Installed all the motherboard drives, GPU drivers, ran the Samsung performance fix thing and installed the Samsung Magician and turned on rapid mode. Can I "use" my computer now or did I forget to do something?

Did you rub cheetah blood on it? Helps it go faster.

Seriously, though, that's the big stuff.Install your software and use it.

Bonobos posted:

Any thoughts on the Corsair H90 cooler to cool an OC 4790K? Looks like a cheap alternative to Phanteks series I was considering prior (its on sale after rebate to $50 at Frys), and reviews look very decent. Supposed to be pretty quiet with decent performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181036&cm_re=h90-_-35-181-036-_-Product

EDIT: Reviews is just a hair quieter for slightly for slightly lower temps than the phanteks. I think I'm going to go for it.

I have the extremely similar NZXT Kraken X40, and it is deffo a credible liquid loop that works well without making a ton of pump noise (unless you kink the tubing like a doofus). That's good because the pump noise is constant - you'll get it even when idle.

Quality otherwise comes down to the fan. Reviews say the fans on the X40 and the H90 are nearly identical performance-wise, so I'll share my thoughts on my X40:

The stock fan works very well in terms of performance. However, putting a Noctua NF-A14 FLX on it gave me identical performance at outrageously lower noise levels. If I bothered to turn up the fan, it'd probably perform better, but I don't really need to. This is on an i5-2500K, however, so YMMV using it on a newer chip.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Cool, thank you. That puts my mind to ease insofar as getting this versus the Phanteks air cooler.

That fan is pricy, but if it is that much quieter I may definitely go that route as I am super anal about noise. I just hope the other fans in my Phanteks case are quiet.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yeah, I transplanted the stock fan over to my NAS as the exhaust fan, and it's audible from my couch at anything above ~20% PWM. 20% or below and it's a good-enough silent fan for some hard drives and a 10W SoC, though.

Stoltec
Dec 9, 2014
Snagged a NZXT S340 over a Rosewill BLACKHAWK. Did I dun goof? I'm still horribly split because the S340 is sososo pretty but that lack of PSU cooling... Meanwhile the BLACKHAWK is just disgusting and cheap looking but a bit more functional.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stoltec posted:

Snagged a NZXT S340 over a Rosewill BLACKHAWK. Did I dun goof? I'm still horribly split because the S340 is sososo pretty but that lack of PSU cooling... Meanwhile the BLACKHAWK is just disgusting and cheap looking but a bit more functional.

Neither are recommended cases from the OP, so I'm not sure it's really an agonizing choice of one vs. the other. If you like how the NZXT looks I'm sure it will be fine. I believe that it faces the PSU fan downwards to draw in cool air so make sure it's oriented correctly. Cases are just boxes that hold your hardware and can literally be purchased made out of cardboard. Some are better put together than others or have special features, but in general no case will fail to hold your hardware unless it's literally too small. The main advantages of cases that are featured in the OP are ease of use, good airflow, and quietness.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Stoltec posted:

The S340 is an alright case, but it is entirely meant to be used with CLCs mounted in the front and hence has no front fans by default. I'd recommend grabbing some good Phanteks 140mm fans and chucking them in the front for airflow, one or two should he fine.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Hey Leperflesh, before you replace that motherboard, you might want to see if it has Windows update KB3004394 installed because that causes Windows 7 to fail to install new drivers and also other updates on some systems. My relatives' H61 PC was one of them.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

"Enjoy."

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
How's this look? I've been offered the option of getting parts for Christmas.

I can still play most games on my GTX 460 and Athlon X2 435, but I like to set things to look nice and it's starting to be a problem. I've been holding off installing Inquisition and Far Cry 4 in case I do end up getting a new PC.

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Gaming

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1680 x 1050

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($172.94 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Antec 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $774.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-14 09:48 EST-0500

I also see this deal available for now. http://www.microcenter.com/product/434177/Core_i5-4690K_35GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor How much of a difference would that be?

Edit: Now in convenient BBcode format.

Anonononomous fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 14, 2014

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Folks looking for a CLC: Newegg has the Refurb Corsair H70 for $34.99 right now. That's $10 cheaper than it was a few days ago. Not the right cooler for everyone obviously, but if you're in the market, that's a pretty good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181086

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

I know that, I bought a 830 pro when it first came out. I'm asking if the 850 pro will essentially load even faster than the 840 evo.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What kind of a deal? I'm looking to buy that exact model later in the week, but I went to the site and checked it out and it didn't seem to be any cheaper than Amazon.

Do you mean that free Assassin's Creed Unity code that's included with it?

Nope, it was some promo page that I bookmarked on a different computer and now I can't find it. I didn't even think to check amazon, you're right, same prices. :(

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

afkmacro posted:

I know that, I bought a 830 pro when it first came out. I'm asking if the 850 pro will essentially load even faster than the 840 evo.

Not noticeably. The 840 EVO reads pretty quickly, to the point where both drives are essentially bottlenecked by the SATA interface.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Factory Factory posted:

Not noticeably. The 840 EVO reads pretty quickly, to the point where both drives are essentially bottlenecked by the SATA interface.
So I know this was regarding the EVO, but should I save some money by buying the 840 Pro vs. the 850 Pro? I'd be stepping up from a 2012 128GB Patriot Pyro, and I used AnandTech's SSD benchmarking tool and it looks like either of them would be a huge step up from what I've got, but the gap between the 840/850 is much less drastic.

If so, I'm gonna grab the 840 Pro 512GB and be set for the next few years.

Or should I just get the 512GB version of the 850 Evo instead of the Pro? That one's cheaper than both the 512GB 850 Pro and 840 Pro.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 14, 2014

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So I know this was regarding the EVO, but should I save some money by buying the 840 Pro vs. the 850 Pro? I'd be stepping up from a 2012 128GB Patriot Pyro, and I used AnandTech's SSD benchmarking tool and it looks like either of them would be a huge step up from what I've got, but the gap between the 840/850 is much less drastic.

If so, I'm gonna grab the 840 Pro 512GB and be set for the next few years.

Or should I just get the 512GB version of the 850 Evo instead of the Pro? That one's cheaper than both the 512GB 850 Pro and 840 Pro.

It probably depends if you push an unusually large amount of data across your disks. For most folks the EVO line is the best price/performance. The Pro lasts a little longer and is a little bit faster overall, but they both max out the sata bandwidth usually. Unless you plan to keep the SSD forever an EVO is probably the best choice unless the Pro goes on sale for a similar price to an EVO.

From this article you can see that the 840 EVO has a very long lifespan assuming normal use (the article actually uses higher than average figures) and it doubles every time the capacity goes up (8, 16, 32, 48, 64 years).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rexxed posted:

It probably depends if you push an unusually large amount of data across your disks. For most folks the EVO line is the best price/performance. The Pro lasts a little longer and is a little bit faster overall, but they both max out the sata bandwidth usually. Unless you plan to keep the SSD forever an EVO is probably the best choice unless the Pro goes on sale for a similar price to an EVO.

From this article you can see that the 840 EVO has a very long lifespan assuming normal use (the article actually uses higher than average figures) and it doubles every time the capacity goes up (8, 16, 32, 48, 64 years).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

Oh awesome, thanks :) I don't usually push that much data on my current SSD. I mean, I don't have enough room to, really. But even if I got a 512GB SSD and had the room to do it, I still don't think I would push it that hard. So I'll probably go for the 850 EVO. I've done alright with a 128GB SSD for the past 2.5 years or so, so if I got one that was 512GB, I'm sure it would last me even longer.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh awesome, thanks :) I don't usually push that much data on my current SSD. I mean, I don't have enough room to, really. But even if I got a 512GB SSD and had the room to do it, I still don't think I would push it that hard. So I'll probably go for the 850 EVO. I've done alright with a 128GB SSD for the past 2.5 years or so, so if I got one that was 512GB, I'm sure it would last me even longer.

I'm in a similar situation. I used a 60gb SSD from '09 until 2012 and now I have a 120gb I just got about a year ago, but I'm already planning to buy a 500 soon and put the 120 in a system that doesn't need the space as much. I don't have much trouble managing it but there's a definite limitation there and a definite plateau above 240gb or so where you can keep a good amount of stuff on it without having to worry about it. Steam mover makes game management simple but there's a lot of new games that are really big when you're trying to keep 30-40gb free for games. I figure with 500gb or so I won't have to think about it until I'm ready to get a whole new system in 3-5 years and by then there'll be a ton of fancy new options available.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I don't think I've seen a release date for the 850 EVO so I'm assuming it'll be out some time during CES 2015 or later.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Khagan posted:

I don't think I've seen a release date for the 850 EVO so I'm assuming it'll be out some time during CES 2015 or later.
On Amazon, it says the 256GB is available for pre-order and will ship on 12/20, and with the 500GB/1TB, it's 12/26.

Although NewEgg seems to already be shipping the 256GB but their release date for the 120/500/1TB is 12/22 :confused:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've received all my parts except the PSU (because the seller didn't give me a tracking code, nor give the courier my contact details) so my friend helped me put the rest together. To be honest some of the manuals were not as helpful as I'd hoped: many were just pictures with no text and some were so small as to be indecipherable. The case had no installation instructions at all so I was glad to have had help. Now I'm just waiting for my PSU to arrive so I can hook it all up but I'm terrified of it not turning on or starting a fire or something. I'm beginning to think that next time I might pay somebody else to assemble the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixle
Aug 15, 2004
Not quite sure I follow you there
After my Radeon Hd 6870 bit the dust two months ago, and I gutted a lesser card to keep my PC running I've been meaning to fully replace it.

What are you using the system for? I'm looking for a machine that lets me play most modern games and decent settings, and also let me fool around in graphic and art programs with ease (Adobe Suite, 3Ds Max, Zbrush).
What's your budget? Maximum base budget is around 1200-1300 CAN.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, sometimes 3ds Max and Zbrush open at the same time.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Best bang for the buck, but it ties in with the software I use for graphic design demanding a good graphic card anyway.

I am temped to keep my older cooler master ii 690 advanced case since I love the slot on the very top for a hard drive and the case has served me well, but I'm not sure if it would work with what I'm thinking of buying, so I added a case that I can easily remove to save on money. Other case suggestions are welcome. I've never done overclocking, but I'm willing to learn if it means more bang for my buck. Feel free to move stuff around or suggest additional items/fans/etc.

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $213.98 @ DirectCanada
ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $106.00 @ Vuugo
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $164.98 @ Newegg Canada
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg Canada
Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive $174.99 @ Newegg Canada
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $209.99 @ NCIX
NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $129.99 @ Memory Express
Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $88.98 @ Newegg Canada
Current Base Total: $1164.92

• Locked thread